Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mystic Creek - truly impressive

Started by dxcrabtree, April 29, 2016, 10:01:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dxcrabtree

Played Mystic Creek today.  Got in 14 holes before rain and lightning shut us down.  Course was impressive today. 

Played down there two years ago and was impressed then too. But thought it was unreasonably difficult at that time.  Back then, the greens were too firm to hold even with wedges, greens had false fronts, backs and sides.  And run off areas were shaved so that when you hit to a false front (or back or side) area of the green, the ball would roll down from the green and into a water hazard.

Today was noticeably different.  The greens have softened (which I assume is the natural result of the greens growing and settling in over time).  The false fronts and run offs are still there, but they seem fair now because the greens are easier to hold and because the run off areas are no longer shaved down - so your ball will at least settle by the green instead of running into the hazard. 

The course was in perfect condition today.  It really is a great layout and very scenic. Greens were rolling great and fairways and bunkers were immaculate.  Wish is was closer to Little Rock, or that it at least had nice clubhouse and cabins. 

Worth the drive to play regardless.  It is in much better condition than both chenal and pleasant valley right now.  And is a better layout/design than both as well.  If you haven't play it, you should. 

MS_HogFan

Is it public? How much does it cost?
SOOIE

GolfNut57

It's public. And when I played it last summer the greens fee was around $75. I believe. That includes the cart but not the range balls. Those were extra.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Hawg414

at $75, it's the best deal in the state.

dxcrabtree

Yep, still $75.  Agree with Hawg414 - heck of a deal for that course. 

Ex-Trumpet

Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

GolfNut57

To me the only bad part about playing that course is the drive down to El Dorado. Not exactly a scenic tour. Pretty blah looking country side.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

HognitiveDissonance

Played there in Oct 2013, so it's probably due for another trip.

GolfNut57

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on May 04, 2016, 11:10:16 pm
Played there in Oct 2013, so it's probably due for another trip.

Thinking about another try at it sometime in the next month or so myself.

Hawg414

Quote from: Surfing8 on May 04, 2016, 11:22:02 am
Seems like a safe assumption... but is this a Deltic Timber operation?

Fascinating that a course like this would be down in El Dorado.

think it's a Murphy Oil operation.  read where it was the 3rd most expensive course built in the state, behind The Alotian and The Blessings. 

ocsm158

I want to get some of the guys in my golf groups in HSV to take a trip down there to play. I am from El Dorado and have been wanting to play there since they opened. Do they have a clubhouse/restaurant yet and if not are you allowed to take coolers on the course for food/refreshments ;) ;)?

Ex-Trumpet

I have business in Ruston, LA...need to swing up that way on my way back to TX and get in a round!!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

dxcrabtree

Quote from: ocsm158 on May 06, 2016, 07:27:12 am
I want to get some of the guys in my golf groups in HSV to take a trip down there to play. I am from El Dorado and have been wanting to play there since they opened. Do they have a clubhouse/restaurant yet and if not are you allowed to take coolers on the course for food/refreshments ;) ;)?

It seems very lax there - I don't think you'll have any trouble taking a cooler with food and drinks.  We have always had to take our own food and drinks and we just never even mentioned it in the pro shop.  The pro shop is still in a trailer.  They do have a nice set of permanent bathrooms on the course, but no restaurant or clubhouse yet.  If and when they build a nice clubhouse, it will be one of the nicest facilities and best places to play in the state.  Maybe the south.  The course is that good.

ocsm158

Quote from: dxcrabtree on May 06, 2016, 07:18:43 pm
It seems very lax there - I don't think you'll have any trouble taking a cooler with food and drinks.  We have always had to take our own food and drinks and we just never even mentioned it in the pro shop.  The pro shop is still in a trailer.  They do have a nice set of permanent bathrooms on the course, but no restaurant or clubhouse yet.  If and when they build a nice clubhouse, it will be one of the nicest facilities and best places to play in the state.  Maybe the south.  The course is that good.
Thanks. Appreciate the quick reply. I'll get the trip set up soon. Really looking forward to playing there.

GolfNut57

I find it rather surprising they haven't even come close to starting construction on the clubhouse yet. Despite how good the course is it will always seem like a temporary golf course until they build something of permanence. How long has the course been opened now? 3 years? Four? Maybe a lack of having enough memberships is the problem but I think they will continue to struggle in that regard until they show that they are going to have a nice facility for golfers to gather pre and post round in.

dxcrabtree

Quote from: GolfNut57 on May 06, 2016, 09:46:26 pm
I find it rather surprising they haven't even come close to starting construction on the clubhouse yet. Despite how good the course is it will always seem like a temporary golf course until they build something of permanence. How long has the course been opened now? 3 years? Four? Maybe a lack of having enough memberships is the problem but I think they will continue to struggle in that regard until they show that they are going to have a nice facility for golfers to gather pre and post round in.

Agree with you.  That is the big missing piece right now.  Seems like this is the 3rd year its been open, but Im not certain.  They the foundation and plumbing in for the cabins down by number 10.  But, those have been sitting there for a couple of years with no progress.  If and when they build the clubhouse and the cabins, it would be a nice stay and play option.

GolfNut57

Quote from: dxcrabtree on May 06, 2016, 11:02:35 pm
Agree with you.  That is the big missing piece right now.  Seems like this is the 3rd year its been open, but Im not certain.  They the foundation and plumbing in for the cabins down by number 10.  But, those have been sitting there for a couple of years with no progress.  If and when they build the clubhouse and the cabins, it would be a nice stay and play option.

The cabins is the worst of it. Why do the foundations for those before you even do the clubhouse?

Dillar Dog

Quote from: Hawg414 on May 05, 2016, 02:54:09 pm
think it's a Murphy Oil operation.  read where it was the 3rd most expensive course built in the state, behind The Alotian and The Blessings. 

Murphy doesn't have any ownership

userpick

ricepig

ocsm158

Well, had a trip planned down there for yesterday, needless to say we got washed out. I'll probably wait until August or September to try another one. It will be hot but should be dry. Was really looking forward to the beating!! >:(

Boardon Hamsay

Nice looking course. Wish it had been there when I lived in El Do as an alternative to the Lions Club.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

PonderinHog

I'll wait for gohogs1091's full review before I pass judgment...

cosmodrum

Quote from: PonderinHog on June 20, 2016, 10:39:09 am
I'll wait for gohogs1091's full review before I pass judgment...

Perry Maxwell didn't design it, so don't hold your breath.
Go away, batin'

Wildhog

Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on June 19, 2016, 06:30:12 pm
Nice looking course. Wish it had been there when I lived in El Do as an alternative to the Lions Club.

I grew up playing the Lions Club.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977