Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Official 2016 Masters week thread

Started by Hawgndaaz, April 04, 2016, 04:21:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jackrabbit Hog

And for the record, Els signed for a 9 on the first hole, not a 10.  Turns out he six putted, not seven.  All from within 3 feet.

I wonder if he'll describe it to the press like Seve once did after a similar experience on a green?

Reporter:  "Ernie, can you describe the six putt on the first?"

Ernie (staring a hole through the reporter):  "Miss, miss, miss, miss, miss, make."
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

GoHogs1091

The play today on the 18th hole was a real snoozefest.

There was some good golf action today on the 9th hole.

Just another reason that they need to flip the 9s back to what they were in 1933 and 1934.

With the snoozefest play today on the 18th hole, just too much snoozefest late in the round with hole 18 accompanying the usual snoozefest play on the 17th hole.

ricepig

Jordan liked the 18th, played it well to go 6 under.

GoHogs1091

Here was the 1st round stats for the 4 key holes on the course that have the architecturally best greens (#6, #7, #9, and #10).

Par 3   6th hole     Scoring Average   3.0337    only 12 Birdies total on the 6th green today    15 Bogies today

Par 4   7th hole     Scoring Average   4.1798    only 9 Birdies total on the 7th green today      23 Bogies today

Par 4   9th hole     Scoring Average   4.0562    only 9 Birdies total on the 9th green today      14 Bogies today

Par 4   10th hole    Scoring Average   4.3034    only 8 Birdies total on the 10th green today     31 Bogies today

Here is how Jordan Spieth did on the 4 holes today.

6th hole   Birdie

7th hole   Par

9th hole   Par

10th hole   Birdie

EastexHawg

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 07, 2016, 05:26:23 pm
Bobby Clampet just said that Spieth's 66 was "all the more remarkable because he played in the worst of the wind today." 

It's almost dead calm right now.

Bobby Clampett is wrong. 

https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KAGS/2016/4/7/DailyHistory.html

Spieth teed off at 9:48 a.m.  At 9:53 a.m. the wind was blowing 11 mph with no gusts.  Over the next four hours the wind blew as high as 17 mph but dropped of to less than 14 by 1:53 p.m.

Over the next four hours, there were sustained winds of 21 mph one hour and over 18 mph another.  It's true that it did become much calmer by the time the last several groups on the course finished. 

The guys who teed off around noon to 1:00 got the worst of it.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 07, 2016, 05:26:23 pm
Bobby Clampet just said that Spieth's 66 was "all the more remarkable because he played in the worst of the wind today." 

It's almost dead calm right now.

There was virtually no wind for speith all the way through amen corner and at that point I had to stip watching.

onebadrubi

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on April 07, 2016, 08:58:54 pm
The play today on the 18th hole was a real snoozefest.

There was some good golf action today on the 9th hole.

Just another reason that they need to flip the 9s back to what they were in 1933 and 1934.

With the snoozefest play today on the 18th hole, just too much snoozefest late in the round with hole 18 accompanying the usual snoozefest play on the 17th hole.

Yeah we will just make amen corner the three of the first four holes.  That will make for GREAT TV ratings for satirday and Sunday when one of the best theee hole stretches of all golf isn't even televised.

You have absolutely no evidence to support WTH you just said. 

Boarcephus

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 07, 2016, 07:29:48 pm
And for the record, Els signed for a 9 on the first hole, not a 10.  Turns out he six putted, not seven.  All from within 3 feet.

I wonder if he'll describe it to the press like Seve once did after a similar experience on a green?

Reporter:  "Ernie, can you describe the six putt on the first?"

Ernie (staring a hole through the reporter):  "Miss, miss, miss, miss, miss, make."

I saw his interview and he stood up and took it like a man.  Said he didn't know what the hell happened,  just got the hebbie jebbbies (sp?) and couldn't draw the putter back.  Class act throughout his whole career.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Boarcephus on April 08, 2016, 08:20:08 am
I saw his interview and he stood up and took it like a man.  Said he didn't know what the hell happened,  just got the hebbie jebbbies (sp?) and couldn't draw the putter back.  Class act throughout his whole career.

I saw that interview too and thought the same thing.  But, he did have that deer-in-the-headlights look through the whole interview, sort of like he was in shock.  He obviously has no answers, and I didn't realize until he said it that he also missed a 3 footer on 17 and a 2 footer on 18. 

But could you imagine Eldrick doing an interview right after something like that?  He'd have Steiney telling everyone to go home. 
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 08, 2016, 08:45:11 am
I saw that interview too and thought the same thing.  But, he did have that deer-in-the-headlights look through the whole interview, sort of like he was in shock.  He obviously has no answers, and I didn't realize until he said it that he also missed a 3 footer on 17 and a 2 footer on 18. 

But could you imagine Eldrick doing an interview right after something like that?  He'd have Steiney telling everyone to go home. 

I bet he was still in shock but I think it's safe to say Els was never one of the strongest golfers mentally.   Beautiful swing but Tiger got into his head big time and even though Phil won't admit, he got into his as well.  Hate it for Ernie.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Jackrabbit Hog

Bubba starts with a bogey on 1. 

I'll bet you a Buffalo nickel he misses the cut.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Boarcephus on April 08, 2016, 08:50:47 am
I bet he was still in shock but I think it's safe to say Els was never one of the strongest golfers mentally.   Beautiful swing but Tiger got into his head big time and even though Phil won't admit, he got into his as well.  Hate it for Ernie.

What's really sad for Ernie is that in a couple of years he'll be done with the Masters.  He's not a past champion there, his world ranking likely won't ever be in the top 50 again, and unless he wins a tournament he will not be eligible again.  In fact, had Adam Scott not handed him the British Open three years ago, he wouldn't be playing in the Masters this year.

clutch

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 08, 2016, 09:04:12 am
What's really sad for Ernie is that in a couple of years he'll be done with the Masters.  He's not a past champion there, his world ranking likely won't ever be in the top 50 again, and unless he wins a tournament he will not be eligible again.  In fact, had Adam Scott not handed him the British Open three years ago, he wouldn't be playing in the Masters this year.

Didn't he miss the Masters the year he won the Open because of that reason? I remember it being a big story that he wasn't going to be in the Masters.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: clutch on April 08, 2016, 09:13:10 am
Didn't he miss the Masters the year he won the Open because of that reason? I remember it being a big story that he wasn't going to be in the Masters.

He may have; I don't remember.  Truth be told, had he not won that British out of nowhere, we probably wouldn't be seeing much of Ernie in anything.  He wouldn't be eligible for any majors or WGC events for sure.

Too bad we're not seeing any of Danny Lee's play.  He just birdied no. 2 and is alone in second, just one stroke behind Spieth.

clutch

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 08, 2016, 09:16:52 am
He may have; I don't remember.  Truth be told, had he not won that British out of nowhere, we probably wouldn't be seeing much of Ernie in anything.  He wouldn't be eligible for any majors or WGC events for sure.

Too bad we're not seeing any of Danny Lee's play.  He just birdied no. 2 and is alone in second, just one stroke behind Spieth.

Just googled it. I was right, he didn't have an invitation that year.

http://www.sbnation.com/golf/2012/4/4/2924919/masters-2012-ernie-els-absence

clutch

Does it drive anyone else insane watching Bubba point at the ground after every bad shot? Like he's trying to let the crowd know that it wasn't his fault the ball didn't go in the hole, it must have been something else? He was in the bunker, didn't get it as close as he wanted and started pointing at the sand and looking around. Then misses his putt, points at the ground and looks around. It's always bothered me.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: clutch on April 08, 2016, 09:20:26 am
Does it drive anyone else insane watching Bubba point at the ground after every bad shot? Like he's trying to let the crowd know that it wasn't his fault the ball didn't go in the hole, it must have been something else? He was in the bunker, didn't get it as close as he wanted and started pointing at the sand and looking around. Then misses his putt, points at the ground and looks around. It's always bothered me.

Reminds me of those commercials for golfnow.com, or whatever that place is.  Guy shanks it in the water and blames the wind.  Bubba is just being Bubba.  At least he isn't telling people his glutes didn't activate.

Bunch of bogeys so far on the telecast.  Danny Lee doubled no. 3 so he's dropped back to -3.  Ernie is still making a mess of everything.  Poulter drops a shot at the par 5 second. 

Jackrabbit Hog

Jason Day just shown lying on his back in the second fairway, stretching.  More fighting-through-pain, or drama-queen stuff?

Jackrabbit Hog

Bubba, with that white visor, white pullover, white pants and white shoes, looks like a caddy in coveralls.

Jackrabbit Hog

Best round on the course so far?  Davis Love III.  He's -3 thru 5 holes, -2 overall. 

EastexHawg

Quote from: clutch on April 08, 2016, 09:20:26 am

Yep.  He's also the master of the exaggerated arm movements, letting everyone in the crowd know that the wind blew the shot the wrong way or the putt didn't break the way it was supposed to.  He's one of the ultimate drama queens.

I don't dislike Jordan Spieth, but he has quite a bit of that in him, too.  I've never seen anyone talk to a golf ball as much as he does, and to hear him whine you would think every shot is headed OB or into the water.  He yells "sit!  Come one, just sit!" and the ball lands on the green, 30 feet from the back edge and nowhere near any trouble.  I think it would drive me crazy to play with him if I were another top pro.  That said, he's one of the greatest putters I've ever seen and has both the mental and physical game to win majors.

We'll see how he does today if the wind blows during his round.  If he shoots 70 or better he'll probably have a big cushion going into the weekend.

clutch

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 08, 2016, 09:44:24 am
Yep.  He's also the master of the exaggerated arm movements, letting everyone in the crowd know that the wind blew the shot the wrong way or the putt didn't break the way it was supposed to.  He's one of the ultimate drama queens.

I don't dislike Jordan Spieth, but he has quite a bit of that in him, too.  I've never seen anyone talk to a golf ball as much as he does, and to hear him whine you would think every shot is headed OB or into the water.  He yells "sit!  Come one, just sit!" and the ball lands on the green, 30 feet from the back edge and nowhere near any trouble.  I think it would drive me crazy to play with him if I were another top pro.  That said, he's one of the greatest putters I've ever seen and has both the mental and physical game to win majors.

We'll see how he does today if the wind blows during his round.  If he shoots 70 or better he'll probably have a big cushion going into the weekend.

And right as you post this he misses a par putt, and does the exaggerated arm movements. 

Jackrabbit Hog

Of the current "big four", one thing I like about Fowler and McIlroy is that they both play pretty quickly.  Day and Spieth are both notoriously slow.  Spieth's group was put on the clock late yesterday, and it seems like I read that about his group every tournament he's in.

ricepig

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 07, 2016, 10:45:14 pm
Bobby Clampett is wrong. 

https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KAGS/2016/4/7/DailyHistory.html

Spieth teed off at 9:48 a.m.  At 9:53 a.m. the wind was blowing 11 mph with no gusts.  Over the next four hours the wind blew as high as 17 mph but dropped of to less than 14 by 1:53 p.m.

Over the next four hours, there were sustained winds of 21 mph one hour and over 18 mph another.  It's true that it did become much calmer by the time the last several groups on the course finished. 

The guys who teed off around noon to 1:00 got the worst of it.

He was out in some of the worst of it.

http://w1.weather.gov/obhistory/KAGS.html

Boarcephus

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 08, 2016, 09:44:24 am

At least it's PG rated.  ;)

Jackrabbit Hog

Keep an eye on Scott Piercy.  Two birdies so far today; -4 overall and tied for second.

Hawgndaaz

Jackrabbit Hog

Starting to see some birdies from those just behind Spieth.  Piercy (-4) has picked up two shots; Garcia (-4) has picked up one; Danny Willett (-3) has picked up one.  Snedeker and Jimmy Walker have picked up shots and DL3 has picked up three.  All of those mentioned are currently in the top 10.

It'll be interesting to see if Spieth is still leading when he teels off at noon.  If he is, I think he extends it today.  If someone has passed him, it may cause him to press a little.

Jackrabbit Hog

Rory is on the course.  Birdies no. 2 and joins the group at -3.

Jackrabbit Hog

McIlroy picks up another birdie at the 3rd.  He's tied for 2nd at -4.

Jackrabbit Hog

It's still early, but right now the projected cut is -4.  I think the cut is top 50 and ties, plus anyone within 10 strokes of the lead.  The 10 stroke rule is why it's projected now at -4 and not -3. 

Jackrabbit Hog

Day cracks the top 10 with a birdie at the par 5 8th.  He's -2 overall.

Jackrabbit Hog

McIlroy doubles #4.  Back to -2 where he started the day.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on April 08, 2016, 10:22:42 am
DL3

Just bogeyed 11 and put one in Rae's Creek on 12.  Double bogey there; back to +1 for the tournament.

Jackrabbit Hog

Another bogey for Rory.  Back to -1.  Folks are just spinning their wheels; taking one step forward and two steps back.

Spieth will definitely have the lead still when he tees off, possibly a 3 shot lead.

Pulled(PP)pork

hows the wind? is it a factor?  I would think the front that just went through AR/TN should be getting close

PP

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on April 08, 2016, 11:41:39 am
hows the wind? is it a factor?  I would think the front that just went through AR/TN should be getting close

PP

It is a factor.  Maybe not as heavy as it was during its peak yesterday, but I'm watching the Amen Corner coverage right now and the players are clearly confused by it.  Ian Poulter's caddy just got frustrated with him backing off because of the wind and said, "Just hit the shot."

Boarcephus

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 08, 2016, 11:51:28 am
It is a factor.  Maybe not as heavy as it was during its peak yesterday, but I'm watching the Amen Corner coverage right now and the players are clearly confused by it.  Ian Poulter's caddy just got frustrated with him backing off because of the wind and said, "Just hit the shot."

:)

Jackrabbit Hog

April 08, 2016, 12:12:12 pm #138 Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 12:23:21 pm by Jackrabbit Hog
And Spieth begins his round with a birdie on no. 1.   And with Garcia doubling no. 9, Spieth has a 4 stroke lead.

Jackrabbit Hog

Day is imploding on that "easy" 13th.  Two balls in the hazard.

Jackrabbit Hog

April 08, 2016, 12:54:07 pm #140 Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 01:15:54 pm by Jackrabbit Hog
Spieth birdies no. 3.  -2 on the day, -8 overall.  4 shot lead over Danny Lee.  He's taking all the fun out of this.

Lead is now 5 shots.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 08, 2016, 12:54:07 pm
Spieth birdies no. 3.  -2 on the day, -8 overall.  4 shot lead over Danny Lee.  He's taking all the fun out of this.

Lead is now 5 shots.
those PM greens will straighten him out

PP

Jackrabbit Hog

Finally!  Spieth double bogeys the 5th.  Back down to -6 and only a 3 stroke lead.

It's his first hole worse than par in the tournament.

Jackrabbit Hog

Only one player, Patrick Reed, is better than -1 for his round today.  He's -3 today.  So scoring is actually tougher today than it was yesterday, and the wind appears to be picking up.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 08, 2016, 08:53:54 am
Bubba starts with a bogey on 1. 

I'll bet you a Buffalo nickel he misses the cut.

As of now you're right.  Pair of 75's for a +6 and the cut is projected at +4

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: Boarcephus on April 08, 2016, 02:19:03 pm
As of now you're right.  Pair of 75's for a +6 and the cut is projected at +4
it's a birdie-fest!!

PP

Jackrabbit Hog

How in the heck does the Masters website decide on their "featured groups" to televise?  Spieth's group is not one of them.

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 08, 2016, 02:35:21 pm
How in the heck does the Masters website decide on their "featured groups" to televise?  Spieth's group is not one of them.

I guess they don't want to show what's on ESPN, they've got the leaders.

Jackrabbit Hog

CabotHog87

I like watching this DeChambeau kid. Exciting stuff.