Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thunder Bayou

Started by HognitiveDissonance, April 02, 2016, 05:41:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HognitiveDissonance

Saw in the paper that the city of Blytheville lost over $200,000 on the course last year and is evaluating whether to keep it open as a golf course.

Would be a shame. It really is a nice course. Have played it twice.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on April 02, 2016, 05:41:26 pm
Saw in the paper that the city of Blytheville lost over $200,000 on the course last year and is evaluating whether to keep it open as a golf course.

and probably under a lot of water this week

PP

clutch

That's better than what I heard. I heard last week that it was in the process of closing already. Hope that's not the case. My two most played courses are Thunder and Sage. Thunder might close and Sage will be closed during the summer to redo their greens.

GolfNut57

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on April 02, 2016, 05:41:26 pm

That would be a shame if it closed down. Played it once and liked the course. It used to be on the Arkansas golf trail but like Greystone it is no longer included. Wish the folks who do the golf trail would update it with some new courses while getting rid of a couple others.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: clutch on April 02, 2016, 08:44:50 pm
That's better than what I heard. I heard last week that it was in the process of closing already. Hope that's not the case. My two most played courses are Thunder and Sage. Thunder might close and Sage will be closed during the summer to redo their greens.
again?

PP

clutch

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on April 03, 2016, 06:42:41 am
again?

PP

Again? They haven't redone their greens. They still have the same bent greens that they've had forever. I think this will be the first time they have ever been completely redone. They are going to the championship Bermuda

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: clutch on April 03, 2016, 10:48:38 am
Again? They haven't redone their greens. They still have the same bent greens that they've had forever. I think this will be the first time they have ever been completely redone. They are going to the championship Bermuda
the first time I played there, they were terrible, then they changed the greens and made them significantly better, or maybe just made them better without change, but they were the worst I've ever played on.....about 2011, maybe 2010

PP

netteltonhog

Sage is going to tif eagle greens not champions Bermuda and has lots of folks wondering why. They will miss a lot of revenue in the winter and the upkeep isn't any cheaper or less labor. Jonesboro Country club can attest to that. They lost over 45 days playing because of the tarps over the greens.

ricepig

Quote from: netteltonhog on April 03, 2016, 01:08:41 pm
Sage is going to tif eagle greens not champions Bermuda and has lots of folks wondering why. They will miss a lot of revenue in the winter and the upkeep isn't any cheaper or less labor. Jonesboro Country club can attest to that. They lost over 45 days playing because of the tarps over the greens.

I don't play Sage but about 5 or 6 Monday's a year, but I bet I've fixed more ballmarks than most out there, horrendous. The one good thing a Ridgepointe, no traffic for the most part, haha.

clutch

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on April 03, 2016, 10:51:07 am
the first time I played there, they were terrible, then they changed the greens and made them significantly better, or maybe just made them better without change, but they were the worst I've ever played on.....about 2011, maybe 2010

PP

They had a fungus that year. They didn't change the greens. They just recovered the next year. It happens every few years out there. The funny thing about out there is that usually the year after the greens get that fungus they are usually in tremendous shape. Should have been a good year for them this year because they got bad again last year.

What happened both of those years was we got an unusual amount of rain followed immediately by extreme heat.

clutch

Quote from: netteltonhog on April 03, 2016, 01:08:41 pm

Ahh. I was told champions. Wonder why they aren't going to that instead.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: clutch on April 03, 2016, 04:28:18 pm
They had a fungus that year. They didn't change the greens. They just recovered the next year. It happens every few years out there. The funny thing about out there is that usually the year after the greens get that fungus they are usually in tremendous shape. Should have been a good year for them this year because they got bad again last year.

What happened both of those years was we got an unusual amount of rain followed immediately by extreme heat.
ahhh, that explains it. Thought they had to re-do them

PP

clutch

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on April 03, 2016, 08:12:08 pm
ahhh, that explains it. Thought they had to re-do them

PP

Nah. They grew back better than ever the next year.

Dillar Dog

Quote from: clutch on April 03, 2016, 04:28:45 pm
Ahh. I was told champions. Wonder why they aren't going to that instead.

Because tifeagle is better, I would guess.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: clutch on April 03, 2016, 09:13:16 pm
Nah. They grew back better than ever the next year.
it wouldn't have taken much, they were atrocious. And as said before, no one fixes their ballmarks out there. Pitiful

PP

clutch

Quote from: Dillar Dog on April 04, 2016, 09:02:49 am
Because tifeagle is better, I would guess.

I wouldn't know, but if JCC is having trouble with them then it seems Sage will too.

ricepig

Quote from: clutch on April 04, 2016, 11:37:17 am
I wouldn't know, but if JCC is having trouble with them then it seems Sage will too.

Not trouble, just a lot of tender care.

Dillar Dog

Quote from: clutch on April 04, 2016, 11:37:17 am

Tarping them isn't trouble.  It's for protection.

The same as turning bent greens into rice paddies in the summer.

clutch

Quote from: Dillar Dog on April 04, 2016, 01:59:01 pm
Tarping them isn't trouble.  It's for protection.

The same as turning bent greens into rice paddies in the summer.

I know what it's for. I just read the post wrong and thought he had said they were having trouble with them.