Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Club Fitting

Started by CabotHog87, March 23, 2016, 09:35:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

CabotHog87

Hey all. I've recently received a promotion at work and as a gift to myself I'm wanting to finally get fitted for a brand new set of irons. I've always just bought used and I have no problem with that, I know I could get them bent if I wanted, but I want to go all out this time and get a set of brand new sticks fitted for me. The question is, for those of you that have been fitted before, is it really worth it? The fitting is free, but is it worth me going out and spending the $$$ on a new set or should I just continue to buy used and get them bent to my specs etc.?

GolfNut57

It all depends on what you want to swing but if a golfer feels good about his equipment then he has more confidence in his game. (which is true in more ways than in golf)  ;)
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

CabotHog87

Quote from: GolfNut57 on March 23, 2016, 11:44:32 am
It all depends on what you want to swing but if a golfer feels good about his equipment then he has more confidence in his game. (which is true in more ways than in golf)  ;)

Well I'll just go ahead throw myself under the bus. I'm left handed. I want to go back to a muscle back iron and as you can imagine it's sometimes hard to find A. The clubs I want and B. If I do find them I have to hope they're in good shape.

So part of me feels like it'd be worth spending the extra money to get what I really want and have them fitted to me. I wanted to go with Mizuno MP-4's but they don't make a left handed model so I'm now looking at Titleist. I once had a set of 695 MB's and loved them.

GolfNut57

Being left handed does make it harder to find clubs that fit you for sure. It really depends on how happy/unhappy you are with your current set. If you believe you can shoot better scores with a new set that is fitted to you then I would say go for it. And you might actually pick up a couple strokes per round. But I wouldn't go into it thinking you will drop 5 strokes or more off of your average score though. Things rarely work out that way. Usually getting lessons is the better choice for improving your game.

Bottom line is you want to reward yourself for doing well at work so do what you think will make you the happiest. Good luck with your choice.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

onebadrubi

I'd make sure I really liked the iron before making that move.  From what you've said you won't be replacing them in a year or so if unhappy. 

I had my first set of fitted irons a few years back.  I liked doing it and when I replace them I will be fitted for the new ones as well. 

What I noticed the most out of fitment is, ball flight and spin rate.  These two things have helped me with my irons tremendously. 

Hope this helps. 

CabotHog87

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 23, 2016, 01:09:13 pm
I'd make sure I really liked the iron before making that move.  From what you've said you won't be replacing them in a year or so if unhappy. 

I had my first set of fitted irons a few years back.  I liked doing it and when I replace them I will be fitted for the new ones as well. 

What I noticed the most out of fitment is, ball flight and spin rate.  These two things have helped me with my irons tremendously. 

Hope this helps.

Yes, thank you both. I plan on trying a few different brands to make sure I get the ones that feel the best to me. Mainly I just like a really thin topline and smaller head. So that already wipes out a handful of models as it is.