Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thank You Mr. Snowman

Started by GeauxHogsGeaux, March 21, 2016, 04:29:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GeauxHogsGeaux

My daughter made the Jr. High golf team where we live and has been practicing since around mid February. Every night I would ask her how it was going and she would give me the run down on the holes they played and at first it ended with I got double par so I picked up. Then it was I putted for double par. Some she made others she didn't. I decided last week to run out and watch them practice now that the days are longer and caught up with them on a par 5, up close to the green. She chipped on and two putted, and when the putt dropped the whole group jumped up and down and hugged and congratulated her, it looked like she just won the Masters. She noticed me and came over and said "Dad did you see that did you see my putt?" Yeah I said what was it for and she replied "8 can you believe it, 2 shots better than double par!" She gave the old man a quick hug and left with the others to continue their adventure. As I watched the joy that she had making an 8 and all of the fun she was having playing golf with her friends I was suddenly struck with the realization that I want to have fun like that on the course again and I am jealous of her and her friends not caring about the score but just beating that double par is enough for now. I guess the club throwing lessons will have to wait. Thank You Mr. Snowman for the reality check.

Great post.  I've found golf to be a great way to connect with and spend time with your child.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

My daughter played on our high school team as a 9th grader and 10th grader. I think the first time she played 18 holes was when they hosted a big tournament, the other matches had been 9 hole affairs. In those matches, I believe the "double par" was the max you could score on a hole, so once you had that many strokes, you simply picked up your ball and wrote down that score. Unfortunately, when we hosted our Invitational, you had to count every stroke, it was quite the humbling experience for her. It wasn't like we had a bad team, we had girls play college golf and were very good, we just always had less than 10, so everyone made the team, haha.

Another story related to her two years of golf, they were headed out of town to a match riding the bus. They store their clubs underneath in the holds and as they made a turn up a hill and around a corner, one of the guys in the back says, "hey, that looks like a set of golf clubs", of course, they were my daughter's. By the time the bus got turned around and back to the spot, someone had picked them up and left with them, haha. There's other stories about playing a course with water on every hole and losing 11 golf balls and the pressure of having one with two holes to play.

GolfNut57

Tried to get my daughter interested in golf as she was growing up but she would have none of it. Wife should have given me a kid that was sports oriented.  >:(
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Karma on March 23, 2016, 10:16:03 am
Great post.  I've found golf to be a great way to connect with and spend time with your child.

Why are you spending time with GHG's child?

ricepig

Quote from: GolfNut57 on March 23, 2016, 11:39:47 am
Tried to get my daughter interested in golf as she was growing up but she would have none of it. Wife should have given me a kid that was sports oriented.  >:(

Well, mine sucked at golf, she just did it with a friend for two years, but according to those in the know, you don't have to be "great" to get a scholarship at the lower levels. It seems there aren't enough wanting to play in college.

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 23, 2016, 01:18:05 pm
Why are you spending time with GHG's child?
That is really funny.

And my daughter is a 2.7 handicap, so she schools me.

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on March 23, 2016, 02:43:19 pm
Well, mine sucked at golf, she just did it with a friend for two years, but according to those in the know, you don't have to be "great" to get a scholarship at the lower levels. It seems there aren't enough wanting to play in college.

Yep.  I just have to get my girl to where she can break 90 or so, and boom-- scholarships.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on March 23, 2016, 03:24:12 pm
Yep.  I just have to get my girl to where she can break 90 or so, and boom-- scholarships.

Now, it might be some small school in Oklahoma or Missouri, but it'll be a free education!

Quote from: Wildhog on March 23, 2016, 03:24:12 pm
I've looked at this a lot. I'm happy to discuss if you would like. pm me.

GeauxHogsGeaux

Quote from: ricepig on March 23, 2016, 11:16:55 am
There's other stories about playing a course with water on every hole and losing 11 golf balls and the pressure of having one with two holes to play.

I have (had) a garbage can full of golf balls that the kids used to pick up from when we lived on a golf course. Every morning she goes out and fills her golf bag. I asked why did she need to get some every morning, "the ponds dad, duh." I checked the supply it looks like she is burning through them like someone is paying her. :) I asked the coach if he would move them to the back nine for practice, there is only one water hazard in play he just laughed and said yeah but the rough is twice as high and right now it is extremely muddy so the chances of the girls heading into the rough (or as I refer to it the second fairway) and getting their shoes muddy looking for a golf ball is slim to none. Excellent observation there I think. As she has explained to me on more than one occasion it is better to look good than to play good.

ricepig

Quote from: GeauxHogsGeaux on March 23, 2016, 05:39:44 pm
I have (had) a garbage can full of golf balls that the kids used to pick up from when we lived on a golf course. Every morning she goes out and fills her golf bag. I asked why did she need to get some every morning, "the ponds dad, duh." I checked the supply it looks like she is burning through them like someone is paying her. :) I asked the coach if he would move them to the back nine for practice, there is only one water hazard in play he just laughed and said yeah but the rough is twice as high and right now it is extremely muddy so the chances of the girls heading into the rough (or as I refer to it the second fairway) and getting their shoes muddy looking for a golf ball is slim to none. Excellent observation there I think. As she has explained to me on more than one occasion it is better to look good than to play good.

Yeah, they were given X dozen of Titleist golf balls with the school logo on them. We burned through those pretty fast and then had to purchase more, lol. It was a fun couple of year experiment for her, I don't think she's ever played again since her last match 3 years ago.