Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Official WGC Match Play Thread

Started by Jackrabbit Hog, March 21, 2016, 01:03:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PonderinHog

Johnson is about to seal the deal on Reed.  3 up after 15.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 26, 2016, 11:50:30 am
Johnson is about to seal the deal on Reed.  3 up after 15.
not the "buzzsaw"!!

PP

ricepig

Boarcephus

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on March 26, 2016, 11:43:12 am
I'm beginning to get the feeling that Jason Day is a "drama queen".  However, a "drama queen" with mucho talent. He showed zero signs of his back hurting in his match and in his post-match interview whined a bit about it. Last year it was vertigo. Seems like he's always got something wrong with his young body. Methinks he likes the attention of always being hurt causing him to channel his "inner" Eldrick Woods.

You may be dead right.  They had a blurb from his appearance on Feherty's show and he said he was ready to quit the game the week before he won his major. Still like the guy
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

majestic

Woods now has a communicable disease attributable him. You guys are too much.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

EastexHawg

Iwastherein1969

Man, both matches are being well played....didn't realize Rory was a club longer than Jason...and about 20 yards longer with both his driver and his 3 wood. I would have thought they would be relatively even in distance....not so....McIlroy should be about 3 up but can't make a putt...when you get a chance to put Jason Day in the rear view mirror, you better do it. That guy has unbelievable talent. Watching these guys play, I really don't think Tiger, unless he catches a 'white hot' putter in a major, has any shot to beat these guys.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Boarcephus

Watching it this morning and saw something that made me like Day even more.  I think it was on 2 and he hooked the hell out of his second shot into the hazzard.  They had no tv help on it's line so there was a debate on where it crossed into the hazzard.  One guy said he could drop up closer to the green and Day said, no I hooked it really bad and played it from much further out.  Had that been Bubba Watson,he'd done all he could to get closer. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

EastexHawg

McIlroy is the worst putter I have ever seen for a truly great player.  For most of the match he outplayed Day tee to green but Day slaughtered him on the greens.

Professional golf today is basically a putting contest.  You're not going to win many tournaments by bludgeoning the competition with the longer clubs when you can't pay it off on the dance floor.

Boarcephus

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 27, 2016, 01:21:54 pm
McIlroy is the worst putter I have ever seen for a truly great player.  For most of the match he outplayed Day tee to green but Day slaughtered him on the greens.

Professional golf today is basically a putting contest.  You're not going to win many tournaments by bludgeoning the competition with the longer clubs when you can't pay it off on the dance floor.

Yep

PonderinHog

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 26, 2016, 08:32:56 pm
You may be dead right.  They had a blurb from his appearance on Feherty's show and he said he was ready to quit the game the week before he won his major. Still like the guy

I saw that blurb too, and I think he said he was thinking about quitting before he played his first Masters (as opposed to winning his first major).  That would have been quite a few years ago when he was, in fact, not living up to the expectations everyone had for him.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 28, 2016, 07:48:06 am
I saw that blurb too, and I think he said he was thinking about quitting before he played his first Masters (as opposed to winning his first major).  That would have been quite a few years ago when he was, in fact, not living up to the expectations everyone had for him.
No one really gives serious consideration giving up the game before their first Masters. I watched the clip and you can tell Jason 'gets off' on attention about drama. McIlroy out played him yesterday and if Rory could have holed anything he wins...I knew on #11 when they pushed that the good ol' boy that Rory usually is turned into a case of the red-assed golfer. Oh well, better sometimes doesn't win in sports. I still think McIlroy is the best player in the world. I don't like his cross handed putting. He needs to go back to traditional. Yeah, he was streaky with the traditional grip, but when he got it going, he made a lot of putts. He may be more consistent around the hole with the cross handed grip, but he holes fewer putts. And its like that ol' smart ass guy who tells you when you are lining up a 15 footer for birdie, "hey man, get it close" or "the whole world is outside that cup". Moral to the story....rather make 8 birdies and have 2 three putts then 4 birdies and no 3 putts.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on March 28, 2016, 01:25:29 pm
No one really gives serious consideration giving up the game before their first Masters. I watched the clip and you can tell Jason 'gets off' on attention about drama. McIlroy out played him yesterday and if Rory could have holed anything he wins...I knew on #11 when they pushed that the good ol' boy that Rory usually is turned into a case of the red-assed golfer. Oh well, better sometimes doesn't win in sports. I still think McIlroy is the best player in the world. I don't like his cross handed putting. He needs to go back to traditional. Yeah, he was streaky with the traditional grip, but when he got it going, he made a lot of putts. He may be more consistent around the hole with the cross handed grip, but he holes fewer putts. And its like that ol' smart ass guy who tells you when you are lining up a 15 footer for birdie, "hey man, get it close" or "the whole world is outside that cup". Moral to the story....rather make 8 birdies and have 2 three putts then 4 birdies and no 3 putts.

I think Rory is the best tee to green golfer in the world.  When he's putting well he runs off and hides from everyone else

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 28, 2016, 01:37:32 pm
I think Rory is the best tee to green golfer in the world.  When he's putting well he runs off and hides from everyone else

Until late last summer I'd agree with you.  But I'm of the opinion now that it's Day when he's healthy.  They say that McIlroy is longer off the tee, but I don't believe it.  In their match this weekend, especially on the back 9, Day was consistently outdriving him.  Iron play is probably about even - maybe a slight edge to McIlroy.  But around the greens it's Day, hands down.  More creative from off the green, clearly a better putter on the green. 

With Rory, I think motivation and attitude are the big variables.  With Day, it's his health.  But when the two of them are on their games, I think they have separated themselves from everyone else in the game - including Spieth.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 29, 2016, 08:45:28 am
Until late last summer I'd agree with you.  But I'm of the opinion now that it's Day when he's healthy.  They say that McIlroy is longer off the tee, but I don't believe it.  In their match this weekend, especially on the back 9, Day was consistently outdriving him.  Iron play is probably about even - maybe a slight edge to McIlroy.  But around the greens it's Day, hands down.  More creative from off the green, clearly a better putter on the green. 

With Rory, I think motivation and attitude are the big variables.  With Day, it's his health.  But when the two of them are on their games, I think they have separated themselves from everyone else in the game - including Spieth.

Have to agree with almost every bit of this.  Day, himself, said that Rory is a little longer but both are huge off the tee and that is what separates them from JS.  Day is in a great place mentally these days while Rory is fighting some demons, as evidenced by his putter grip change.  Hate to say it but I'm seeing a little quit in Rory and he's quick to drop his head when things are not going right, while Day, Speight and Fowler (for that matter) are a little stronger mentally and will gut things out.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 29, 2016, 09:40:45 am
Have to agree with almost every bit of this.  Day, himself, said that Rory is a little longer but both are huge off the tee and that is what separates them from JS.  Day is in a great place mentally these days while Rory is fighting some demons, as evidenced by his putter grip change.  Hate to say it but I'm seeing a little quit in Rory and he's quick to drop his head when things are not going right, while Day, Speight and Fowler (for that matter) are a little stronger mentally and will gut things out.

Hey, don't feel sorry for Jordan and Rickie.  We should all have the life of two guys who lose out in the Match Play before the weekend heats up.  This was going on while Jason and Rory were going at it on the course.

As the boys from Lonely Island sang, "Look at me!  I'm on a m*****f*****g boat!"

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 29, 2016, 09:58:30 am
Hey, don't feel sorry for Jordan and Rickie.  We should all have the life of two guys who lose out in the Match Play before the weekend heats up.  This was going on while Jason and Rory were going at it on the course.

As the boys from Lonely Island sang, "Look at me!  I'm on a m*****f*****g boat!"
ok, that chick in the middle is just fugly

PP

Boarcephus

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 29, 2016, 09:58:30 am

LOL!!  As they say when you've got the world by the balls like they do, squeeze a little tighter because you won't get a better grip!  One thing I do like about those four is they all seem to be legit, nice guys.

Pulled(PP)pork

Im not sure there are enough life jackets to go around....

PP

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on March 29, 2016, 10:07:05 am

PP

I imagine a few of those girls had sufficient flotation devices.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 29, 2016, 10:05:58 am
One thing I do like about those four is they all seem to be legit, nice guys.

I agree.  I guess if I had any criticism at all, it might be that Day does seem to be a bit of a drama queen (as has been discussed by others), but that may be attributable to his difficult upbringing and maybe his need for attention that he did not get as a child.  And I think Spieth may be a little too image conscious right now - not that that's a bad thing.  But of the four, I think the guy that would be the most fun just to be around and hang out with for a day is Fowler.  I don't think there's a phony bone in his body.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 29, 2016, 10:27:32 am
I agree.  I guess if I had any criticism at all, it might be that Day does seem to be a bit of a drama queen (as has been discussed by others), but that may be attributable to his difficult upbringing and maybe his need for attention that he did not get as a child.  And I think Spieth may be a little too image conscious right now - not that that's a bad thing.  But of the four, I think the guy that would be the most fun just to be around and hang out with for a day is Fowler.  I don't think there's a phony bone in his body.

Talk about someone to just hang out with, Darren Clarke would be a blast!  You might not get the young, groupie chicks you'll find with Fowler but Clark is a character and I bet he'd pay for EVERYTHING!!  I still remember his interview the morning after he won the British Open a few years ago.  Hadn't been to sleep, slurring his words, still drunk as hell. ;)

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 29, 2016, 11:26:34 am
Talk about someone to just hang out with, Darren Clarke would be a blast!  You might not get the young, groupie chicks you'll find with Fowler but Clark is a character and I bet he'd pay for EVERYTHING!!  I still remember his interview the morning after he won the British Open a few years ago.  Hadn't been to sleep, slurring his words, still drunk as hell. ;)

My dream foursome has always been Darren Clarke, John Daly, Miguel Angel Jimenez and Angel Cabrera.  The 19th hole would be epic.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: sevenof400 on March 29, 2016, 11:32:23 am
It would be the measure of any man he would could party with Darren Clarke and Miguel Angel Jiminez....oh the stories one could tell...if they could remember them..

And the stogies.  My oh my..

Pulled(PP)pork

Jimenez should really replace The Most Interesting Man in the World, since they are getting rid of the original

PP

onebadrubi

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on March 29, 2016, 10:07:05 am

PP

That boat has a minimum seating capacity of 14 depending on if its the 21,23,24 or 25 foot malibu it could be as high as 18.  Welcome to the world of a wakeboard boat, throw as many sets of tits as you can in one because they are a blast!

There is always a fugly one in the bunch, always! 

onebadrubi

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 29, 2016, 10:27:32 am

I guess I missed it, but what has Day done that makes you guys think he is a drama queen or starving for attentions?  Lets compare him to Mcilroy, Speith, and Fowler that is. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: sevenof400 on March 29, 2016, 11:32:23 am
It would be the measure of any man he would could party with Darren Clarke and Miguel Angel Jiminez....oh the stories one could tell...if they could remember them..

Isn't it Darren Clarke that he has basically given up the game after his wife suddenly passed a few years back?  I mean he virtually disappeared then tried to come back but I haven't seen anything out of him?

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 30, 2016, 09:16:17 am
Isn't it Darren Clarke that he has basically given up the game after his wife suddenly passed a few years back?  I mean he virtually disappeared then tried to come back but I haven't seen anything out of him?

Actually, after his wife died, he took a couple of months off but then came back for the Ryder Cup that year.  Since then he's seen his game really drop off, then come back just long enough for him to win a British Open, then drop off again.  I think he's basically a part-timer now, ala Stricker.  And, he's remarried.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 30, 2016, 09:15:09 am
I guess I missed it, but what has Day done that makes you guys think he is a drama queen or starving for attentions?  Lets compare him to Mcilroy, Speith, and Fowler that is.

Well, I could be way off base.  But his injuries are seemingly non-stop.  The back stuff comes and goes; he has that vertigo problem that also comes and goes; he had thumb issues.  Could all be totally legit but it just seems it's always something.  And, in the Feherty interview, a lot of what he said was of the "WTH?" variety.  Besides the comment about almost quitting golf before his first Masters, he talked a lot about his real father who died when he was young.  He said his dad was an abusive drunk who would frequently beat him up for not doing well at tournaments - sometimes even on the course away from the crowds.  Again, not saying that's not absolutely true and if it is then the guy has obviously overcome a lot.  But it makes you wonder if maybe he's embellishing things because he knows it makes for a good story.  Call me cynical (and I still like the guy a lot).

onebadrubi

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 30, 2016, 09:40:20 am
Well, I could be way off base.  But his injuries are seemingly non-stop.  The back stuff comes and goes; he has that vertigo problem that also comes and goes; he had thumb issues.  Could all be totally legit but it just seems it's always something.  And, in the Feherty interview, a lot of what he said was of the "WTH?" variety.  Besides the comment about almost quitting golf before his first Masters, he talked a lot about his real father who died when he was young.  He said his dad was an abusive drunk who would frequently beat him up for not doing well at tournaments - sometimes even on the course away from the crowds.  Again, not saying that's not absolutely true and if it is then the guy has obviously overcome a lot.  But it makes you wonder if maybe he's embellishing things because he knows it makes for a good story.  Call me cynical (and I still like the guy a lot).

I haven't watched his Feherity invertivew yet, but hope to get too this week.  I just watched Speiths second show, you know since he was so interesting he needed 2.  lol

Boarcephus

I haven't watched Day's show, just caught the blurbs.  When you come out and say you almost quit before the Master's something inside my hollers "BS".  I like the guy but seem to find myself on Jackrabbits side more and more.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: sevenof400 on March 30, 2016, 12:02:46 pm
Speaking of Feherty's show (and it's new format) - why? 

Feherty standing in front of an audience for a few minutes each show chews up interview time.  Why did they feel the need to change the format?

Who knows?  It looks too staged (pardon the pun); almost like a short Tonight Show monologue with canned laughter.  Yeah, he's a great interviewer and his show is usually good, but for my money he's best when he's on the course doing unrehearsed, off-the-cuff commentary.  Stuff that just immediately comes to his head.  My all-time favorite was a couple of years ago when somebody was reading a long, double breaking putt, and Faldo and somebody else were disagreeing on what the putt was going to do.  Faldo:  "It has to go right."  Other guy:  "I really think it'll go left at the hole."  The guy putts and it comes up about 5 feet short.  Feherty:  "Well, most importantly, it has to go forward."

ricepig

Quote from: sevenof400 on March 31, 2016, 11:59:37 am
I do recall that quip among many other Feherty jabs.  Among the announcers, Feherty alone can make a golf broadcast watchable and enjoyable and even though NBC has been using him a bit differently (more in a tower, less on the course), that part of Feherty on NBC has been solid. 

In some respects, Feherty reminds me of Bob Costas when Costas did more long format interviewing on his radio show (Costas Coast to Coast).  Both Feherty and Costas seem to have a grasp on the long interview and can keep it interesting for an extended period without grating on people's nerves.  I just wish NBC / Golf Channel would dispense with the monologue and give more interview time. 

Feherty has been on the course in most of the coverage I've seen on NBC, in the tower a little more on the Golf Channel.

clutch

Quote from: ricepig on March 31, 2016, 01:00:08 pm
Feherty has been on the course in most of the coverage I've seen on NBC, in the tower a little more on the Golf Channel.

Do you think maybe they put him in the tower thinking he'd get more opportunities to talk or something? He's great on the course.

ricepig

Quote from: clutch on March 31, 2016, 04:40:02 pm
Do you think maybe they put him in the tower thinking he'd get more opportunities to talk or something? He's great on the course.

I guess, it seems if Miller or Faldo is there, he's on the course. Like most, I enjoy his quick wit on the course.