Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Early Look at Oakmont

Started by GoHogs1091, March 15, 2016, 02:31:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GoHogs1091

Quote from: ricepig on June 09, 2016, 06:07:29 pm
Oakmont is a typical USGA trumped up course set to make par or worse to be the winning score. As was mentioned earlier, there has to be a place to reward well hit shots on the greens, and stick.

The USGA doesn't trump up Oakmont.

In 2007, the USGA cut the rough right before the Tournament.  The USGA also slowed down the greens compared to what they are at during every day play.  They normally run anywhere from 14 to 14.5, but the USGA had them set at 13 during the 2007 Tournament.

The USGA should not be blamed next week for high scores (high scores will probably occur). The PGA Tour Pros need to go into the Tournament with the right attitude (i.e., not whining and not a defeatist attitude).  The Pros also need to realize that it won't be the normal, typical driver-and-gouge with a wedge and shoot 64s and 65s that they are accustomed to on a weekly basis.

In short, the PGA Tour Pros are going to have to play elite level golf.  Oakmont demands and requires elite level play.

ricepig

Nope, the USGA will tick it up with brown greens and pin placements on ridges, typical for them.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: ricepig on June 09, 2016, 06:59:03 pm
Nope, the USGA will tick it up with brown greens and pin placements on ridges, typical for them.

Didn't look brown in 2007 (the following is a 4th Round video).

ricepig

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on June 09, 2016, 07:20:23 pm
Didn't look brown in 2007 (the following is a 4th Round video).

This ain't 2007, also, adjust your color brightness level, I bet everyone looks like Martians.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on June 09, 2016, 06:52:14 pm
The Pros also need to realize that it won't be the normal, typical driver-and-gouge with a wedge and shoot 64s and 65s that they are accustomed to on a weekly basis.

In short, the PGA Tour Pros are going to have to play elite level golf.  Oakmont demands and requires elite level play.

Something tells me the pros that tee it up in the US Open have a pretty good idea it ain't the John Deere they're playing that week, and they have adjusted their mindsets accordingly.

Well, except maybe DJ.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Boarcephus

I may be the only one here who feels this way but I don't care if they trump the course up or not.  I enjoy seeing a par or a few over winning it.  I hate the 15-20 under tournaments. 

On a side note, would anyone here have any idea to how many people players like Speight, Rory, and Jason Day have on their payrolls?  Talking to a guy the other day and this came up.  Beside the swing coaches, psychologists, etc., they have people on the payroll who makes the travel arrangements, where he's staying, investment folks, you get the idea.  Is this a deal where Team Rory has 15-20 people whose only job is to make his life simpler?  Just curious....
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Boarcephus on June 10, 2016, 05:52:00 pm
I may be the only one here who feels this way but I don't care if they trump the course up or not.  I enjoy seeing a par or a few over winning it.  I hate the 15-20 under tournaments. 

Really the only courses the USGA recently has had to trump up has been Torrey Pines (South Course), Bethpage Black (had to because with the exception of 1 green, all of the other 17 greens at Bethpage Black are tame), Pebble Beach, Pinehurst No. 2, and Chambers Bay.

The USGA tried to trump up Congressional (Blue Course) in 2011, but the weather did not cooperate.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on June 10, 2016, 09:21:41 pm
Really the only courses the USGA recently has had to trump up has been Torrey Pines (South Course), Bethpage Black (had to because with the exception of 1 green, all of the other 17 greens at Bethpage Black are tame), Pebble Beach, Pinehurst No. 2, and Chambers Bay.

The USGA tried to trump up Congressional (Blue Course) in 2011, but the weather did not cooperate.

I hear Doral was trumped up a fee years ago.  And Turnberry for the British.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on June 11, 2016, 08:58:01 am
I hear Doral was trumped up a fee years ago.  And Turnberry for the British.

I'm hearing there's a possibility of every course being trumped up next January. We'll probably know in November.

Pulled(PP)pork

Why is Trump messing with Perry Maxwell masterpieces??!

Pulled out...

MikePiazza

I'm saying +3 or +4 wins tournament. If it's especially difficult it may jump as high as +6 or +7.

Early favorites to me are Day, D. Johnson, Z. Johnson and Mickelson. Maybe Furyk.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

clutch

Quote from: MikePiazza on June 11, 2016, 02:32:45 pm
I'm saying +3 or +4 wins tournament. If it's especially difficult it may jump as high as +6 or +7.

Early favorites to me are Day, D. Johnson, Z. Johnson and Mickelson. Maybe Furyk.

Rose seems to always be pretty good in these grind it out type tournaments. Haven't really been keeping up with the Tour much this year though, so I have no idea how he's been playing.

GoHogs1091

Jordan Spieth's Swing Coach said to expect a lot of Driving Irons (from a lot of players).

If that is going to be the strategy off the tee by a lot of players, then they could very well find out the hard way that is not a good strategy.  That will leave a longer approach shot into the greens, and there are places on the greens there where you have to be.  A longer approach shot will make it a lot tougher to get into the "have to be places" on the greens.

In 2007 at Oakmont, Angel Cabrera had high level ball striking off the tees with his Driver and 3 Wood.  Cabrera didn't try to circumvent the needed precision off the tee aspect by using a Driving Iron.  Cabrera did what is needed by using his Driver and 3 Wood.

Johnny Miller did elite ball striking off the tee with his Driver during his Final Round 63 at Oakmont in 1973.  Miller didn't try to circumvent the needed precision off the tee aspect by using a Driving Iron.

clutch

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on June 11, 2016, 08:03:19 pm
Jordan Spieth's Swing Coach said to expect a lot of Driving Irons (from a lot of players).

If that is going to be the strategy off the tee by a lot of players, then they could very well find out the hard way that is not a good strategy.  That will leave a longer approach shot into the greens, and there are places on the greens there where you have to be.  A longer approach shot will make it a lot tougher to get into the "have to be places" on the greens.

In 2007 at Oakmont, Angel Cabrera had high level ball striking off the tees with his Driver and 3 Wood.  Cabrera didn't try to circumvent the needed precision off the tee aspect by using a Driving Iron.  Cabrera did what is needed by using his Driver and 3 Wood.

Johnny Miller did elite ball striking off the tee with his Driver during his Final Round 63 at Oakmont in 1973.  Miller didn't try to circumvent the needed precision off the tee aspect by using a Driving Iron.

I'll stick with the opinion of those getting paid to play this game.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: clutch on June 11, 2016, 08:22:13 pm
I'll stick with the opinion of those getting paid to play this game.

They can go ahead and leave longer approach shots into those greens, but they could very well be slamming their car trunk with their clubs inside after Round 2 on Friday.

Longer approach shots will lead to being in the wrong spots on those greens assuming the longer approach shot stops on the green.  Longer approach shots will also lead to short-siding themselves off the green in either green side bunkers or green side rough.

They had better not want to be short-sided coming out of green side bunkers or short-sided coming out of green side rough with the greens running around 13.5 on the Stimpmeter.

ricepig

Hopefully we have two U.S. Open threads.........

clutch

Quote from: ricepig on June 11, 2016, 08:44:54 pm
Hopefully we have two U.S. Open threads.........

So we can get a double dose of this?

ricepig

Quote from: clutch on June 11, 2016, 08:56:11 pm
So we can get a double dose of this?

True that, I may need the ignore feature this week........

GoHogs1091

According to Brad Faxon, who has been one of the best putters in golf over the last 20 years, it is tough to shoot Even Par at Oakmont.  Under the video box in the following link, there is a Related Videos section with a video of Jordan Spieth's Swing Coach talking about Driving Irons.

http://www.golfchannel.com/media/faxon-will-be-tough-shoot-even-par-oakmont/

I wonder what Faxon thought about the Wissahickon Course at Philadelphia Cricket Club.  Faxon shot the following there Thursday thru today.

76--75--70--70   +11

Kudos to Faxon for shooting Even Par both Rounds over the weekend.

Colin Montgomerie stated to the Media that there is some similarity between the Wissahickon Course at Philadelphia Cricket Club and Oakmont.

GoHogs1091

Here is video that Justin Thomas posted of him dropping a ball into the rough at Oakmont.  Immediately below Thomas' video is a video that Byeong-Hun An posted of him hitting out of what looks like the back green side bunker on Hole 2, and it shows the green speed.

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/watch-thomas-drops-ball-gnarly-oakmont-rough/

Rickie Fowler has posted a video showing the green speed.

http://www.golfchannel.com/media/fowler-posts-proof-how-fast-greens-are-oakmont/

A good roundtable discussion on Oakmont.

http://www.golfchannel.com/media/morning-drive-us-open-round-table-oakmont/

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on June 12, 2016, 11:44:59 pm
Here is video that Justin Thomas posted of him dropping a ball into the rough at Oakmont.  Immediately below Thomas' video is a video that Byeong-Hun An posted of him hitting out of what looks like the back green side bunker on Hole 2, and it shows the green speed.

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/watch-thomas-drops-ball-gnarly-oakmont-rough/

Rickie Fowler has posted a video showing the green speed.

http://www.golfchannel.com/media/fowler-posts-proof-how-fast-greens-are-oakmont/

A good roundtable discussion on Oakmont.

http://www.golfchannel.com/media/morning-drive-us-open-round-table-oakmont/

I watched the An and Fowler videos earlier this morning.  Dude, I don't care what you say or how self-righteous the USGA and Oakmont folks are.....to me that equates to tricked up greens.  When you hit a perfect shot and it rolls to almost a dead standstill a foot from the hole, then picks up speed and rolls fifteen feet away, that's does not reward a good shot.  That's Shinnecock-like unfair.

Tricked up.

clutch

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on June 13, 2016, 07:41:44 am
I watched the An and Fowler videos earlier this morning.  Dude, I don't care what you say or how self-righteous the USGA and Oakmont folks are.....to me that equates to tricked up greens.  When you hit a perfect shot and it rolls to almost a dead standstill a foot from the hole, then picks up speed and rolls fifteen feet away, that's does not reward a good shot.  That's Shinnecock-like unfair.

Tricked up.

Exactly. They could make it hold. Since they choose not to, it's tricked up. That bunker shot that An hit was a great shot and it wasn't rewarded. At some point you are taking some of the skill out of the game and letting luck pick your winner for the week.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: clutch on June 13, 2016, 07:58:33 am
Exactly. They could make it hold. Since they choose not to, it's tricked up. That bunker shot that An hit was a great shot and it wasn't rewarded. At some point you are taking some of the skill out of the game and letting luck pick your winner for the week.

Remember clutch, they've slowed the greens down from what the members are used to.    ;)

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on June 13, 2016, 09:28:34 am
Remember clutch, they've slowed the greens down from what the members are used to.    ;)
you just did it again.....Beetlejuice Beetlejuice Beetlejuice

PP

Jim Harris

Quote from: ricepig on June 09, 2016, 06:59:03 pm

they don't have to do that on Oakmont's greens.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on June 13, 2016, 07:41:44 am

Tricked up.

Jordan Spieth said in his News Conference that they cut some of the rough today.

The USGA will probably slow down the greens some, or if it rains, the rain will slow them down some.

clutch

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on June 13, 2016, 03:47:52 pm
Jordan Spieth said in his News Conference that they cut some of the rough today.

The USGA will probably slow down the greens some, or if it rains, the rain will slow them down some.

Probably so.......... because they've been letting it get ridiculously tall for the past few months so that they could make it tougher. You can always take some off right before tournament time, you can't put it back on. So I guess you are right. Oakmont is harder before the tournament starts, but so is every other course on tour.

GoHogs1091

2011 Masters Champion, Charl Schwartzel, says Oakmont's greens are tougher than Augusta's.

"These greens are more difficult than at the Masters," the world number 22 told Reuters after playing a practice round at par-70 Oakmont with fellow South Africans Louis Oosthuizen and Branden Grace on a sun-splashed Monday.

"Augusta has big slopes but they are gradual, almost constant in a way. Here you've got big slopes that have four breaks. The ball comes off a break and it will turn the other way and it will go back the other way and then down a hill."

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-golf-open-schwartzel-idUSKCN0YZ29Z

Some people feel that Oakmont has the best set of greens in the world.  I personally don't agree with that viewpoint.

Some people feel that Pine Valley in New Jersey has the best set of greens in the world, but Pine Valley doesn't host professional tournaments, so it is impossible to guage how Pine Valley's greens hold up against some of the best putters in the world.

What causes the Tour Pros the most difficulty on greens is not big slopes with big breaks that are very noticeable.  What causes the professionals trouble are subtle slopes and subtle breaks that are difficult to see/not noticeable.

The best set of greens I have personally seen on T.V. during professional tournament golf have been the following (no particular order).

Prairie Dunes
Omaha Country Club in Nebraska  (the last set of greens Perry Maxwell built before he passed away in 1952)
Wissahickon Course at Philadelphia Cricket Club
Merion (East Course)

GoHogs1091

Here is an interesting comment about Oakmont from a poster over on the golf course architecture site.

"I did look back at the Historic Aerials, and noted that the fairways have been narrowed and bunkers moved inward over the past 60 years.  As much as the membership may want to talk about Fownes' intent, they seem to have stepped up the demands even more than what was there (perhaps working a little too hard to keep up the "difficulty" mystique)."

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php?topic=63076.msg1502509#msg1502509

That brings up an interesting aspect, because the membership at Oakmont wanted to return the course back to the 1903-04 design of Henry C. Fownes, and they removed around 4,000 trees, but they have narrowed Fownes' fairways and they don't seem to be in any hurry to restore back Fownes' wider fairways.

Oakmont Country Club seems to be too enamored with the difficulty aspect.

PonderinHog

Hell, it ain't even started!

______________ is to golf threads as buzzards are to roadkill...

Carrion...

GoHogs1091

Quote from: PonderinHog on June 15, 2016, 05:07:29 pm
Hell, it ain't even started!

______________ is to golf threads as buzzards are to roadkill...

Carrion...

May be how some of the players feel by the time the 4th Round arrives.  :)

Seriously though, in my opinion based off of my study of the course, the best Holes at Oakmont are Hole 2, Hole 5, Hole 7, and Hole 17.  Pay close attention to those 4 Holes during the T.V. coverage.  Hole 17 had a big impact on the outcome in 2007.

In my opinion, all of the Par 3 Holes are nondescript, borderline average Par 3 Holes.

I am not as enamored/taken back as some are with the 18th Hole.  Really the only aspect that makes that Hole as a finishing Hole with any redeeming qualities is the green on Hole 18.  That green is a good green.

In my opinion, a lot of the rest of the Holes have too much stringent aspects that makes those Holes seem to have not much character.  They really don't have much of a strategic nature to them. 

I also feel that the course probably has too many bunkers, but perhaps one of the main reasons for the evolution of over 200 bunkers is a by-product of the course not having any water hazzards.

Iwastherein1969

Oakmont, home of the greatest round of golf ever played...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DisSQ8bFS0U    and people take a look at the shallow faced persimmon driver Miller was using....dare I say even Rory and Jason couldn't stripe that baby 290 yards...the sweet spot on the clubs back then was about the size of a mouse's ear...an heaven forbid you try to hit a 1 iron...the guys back in those days were better golfers, today's generation are better players because of technology..and by the way,the two biker dudes in the muscle shirt had to be KOD and Cosmo, back when they were charter members of the Arkansas chapter of the Harley ROUGH RIDERS
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Wildhog

I'm going to put a 1i in the bag now.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

yraciv

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on June 16, 2016, 11:40:56 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DisSQ8bFS0U    and people take a look at the shallow faced persimmon driver Miller was using....dare I say even Rory and Jason couldn't stripe that baby 290 yards...the sweet spot on the clubs back then was about the size of a mouse's ear...an heaven forbid you try to hit a 1 iron...the guys back in those days were better golfers, today's generation are better players because of technology..and by the way,the two biker dudes in the muscle shirt had to be KOD and Cosmo, back when they were charter members of the Arkansas chapter of the Harley ROUGH RIDERS

Tough to compare generations. Today's golfers may have more technology, but they are also much more athletic & muscular than the golfers of the past.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Wildhog on June 16, 2016, 11:48:54 pm
I'm going to put a 1i in the bag now.
Yeah, you might as well take out the putter. 

Hawgndaaz

this course is not as cool as you think it is. it's a quirky setup with gimmicky greens and hole placements that make it obvious the USGA jack-offs just want to say "hahahah gotcha". It isn't a measure of the best players of golf, its a measure of which player can cut it through the clowns' mouth, off the elephant, over the gator bridge, and into the hole. I wonder if when they putt out on 18, if the golf ball disappears, rolls through a PVC pipe underground, and into the pro shop?

I'm surprised they don't use different bright colored balls on this course.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on June 17, 2016, 08:28:58 am
this course is not as cool as you think it is. it's a quirky setup with gimmicky greens and hole placements that make it obvious the USGA jack-offs just want to say "hahahah gotcha". It isn't a measure of the best players of golf, its a measure of which player can cut it through the clowns' mouth, off the elephant, over the gator bridge, and into the hole. I wonder if when they putt out on 18, if the golf ball disappears, rolls through a PVC pipe underground, and into the pro shop?

pretty much golf sacrilege...but hey, you are blaspheming the 'gods of golf', not me....don't be surprised if you suddenly can't break 80 for a year or so and the thought that goes through your head over and over and over as you stand over a 10 footer for birdie on 18 which will win all the 'press money' from every group, "the whole world is outside that cup.....the whole world is outside that cup"
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on June 17, 2016, 08:28:58 am

I have some melancholy feelings regarding Oakmont.  I think the course lost some luster this week regarding its perceived legacy and reputation.

First of all, I feel the course has too many bunkers.  Over 200 bunkers is simply too many.  The number of bunkers, particularly some fairway bunkers, needs to be reduced.  Here is an interesting overhead aerial history for each Hole at Oakmont from 1940-2009 (will have slide your finger on some of the images if using a tablet or drag with a mouse on some of the images to see the far right side of the image for the 2009 aerial).

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,63116.0.html

As can be seen from the aerials, there has been a lot of tinkering to the course, particularly as it relates to the bunkering.  They have done as much tinkering, if not more tinkering, than what the Augusta National Golf Club has done to their course over the years.  To me, they need to change the bunkering of the course back to what is shown in the 1983 aerial.

The four Par 3 Holes at Oakmont may be some of the weaker Par 3 Holes on any highly ranked course.

With Johnson winning, there has now been another bomber who has won at Oakmont.  There is just not a lot of strategic elements to many of the Par 4 Holes at Oakmont.  It doesn't really require a lot of strategic golf like other courses such as Southern Hills, Merion (East Course), and the Wissahickon Course at Philadelphia Cricket Club.  There has been a pattern created of just needing to bomb the ball at Oakmont (Els, Cabrera, and Johnson).

When I create another Top 10 ranking list of courses in the United States, I am going to drop Oakmont down a few spots.  There was some aspects to the course that I am disappointed in after having seen it again these last few days.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on June 20, 2016, 12:07:06 am
I have some melancholy feelings regarding Oakmont.  I think the course lost some luster this week regarding its perceived legacy and reputation.

First of all, I feel the course has too many bunkers.  Over 200 bunkers is simply too many.  The number of bunkers, particularly some fairway bunkers, needs to be reduced.  Here is an interesting overhead aerial history for each Hole at Oakmont from 1940-2009 (will have slide your finger on some of the images if using a tablet or drag with a mouse on some of the images to see the far right side of the image for the 2009 aerial).

As can be seen from the aerials, there has been a lot of tinkering to the course, particularly as it relates to the bunkering.  They have done as much tinkering, if not more tinkering, than what the Augusta National Golf Club has done to their course over the years.  To me, they need to change the bunkering of the course back to what is shown in the 1983 aerial.

The four Par 3 Holes at Oakmont may be some of the weaker Par 3 Holes on any highly ranked course.

With Johnson winning, there has now been another bomber who has won at Oakmont.  There is just not a lot of strategic elements to many of the Par 4 Holes at Oakmont.  It doesn't really require a lot of strategic golf like other courses such as Southern Hills, Merion (East Course), and the Wissahickon Course at Philadelphia Cricket Club.  There has been a pattern created of just needing to bomb the ball at Oakmont (Els, Cabrera, and Johnson).

When I create another Top 10 ranking list of courses in the United States, I am going to drop Oakmont down a few spots.  There was some aspects to the course that I am disappointed in after having seen it again these last few days.
glad you came around to see it our way

PP

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on June 20, 2016, 07:49:27 am
glad you came around to see it our way

PP

It was kind of a sad few days.  The USGA's inaction as governing body in regards to not reigning in the out-of-control golf equipment technology kind of diluted the play at Oakmont.  The out-of-control golf equipment technology has almost caught up to Oakmont in regards to it being able to withstand.

Here is my updated Top 10 in the United States with changes based on what I have seen over the last 2 weeks.  I have a new addition at #7.

1.   Crystal Downs   Frankfort Michigan
2.   Southern Hills   Tulsa, Oklahoma
3.   Merion (East Course)   Ardmore, Pennsylvania
4.   Shinnecock Hills   Southampton, New York
5.   Pine Valley   Clementon, New Jersey
6.   Cypress Point   Pebble Beach, California
7.   Wissahickon Course at Philadelphia Cricket Club   Flourtown, Pennsylvania
8.   Seminole   Juno Beach, Florida
9.   Augusta National   Augusta, Georgia
10. Oakmont   Plum/Oakmont, Pennsylvania

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on June 20, 2016, 03:59:48 pm
It was kind of a sad few days.  The USGA's inaction as governing body in regards to not reigning in the out-of-control golf equipment technology kind of diluted the play at Oakmont.  The out-of-control golf equipment technology has almost caught up to Oakmont in regards to it being able to withstand.

Here is my updated Top 10 in the United States with changes based on what I have seen over the last 2 weeks.  I have a new addition at #7.

1.   Crystal Downs   Frankfort Michigan
2.   Southern Hills   Tulsa, Oklahoma
3.   Merion (East Course)   Ardmore, Pennsylvania
4.   Shinnecock Hills   Southampton, New York
5.   Pine Valley   Clementon, New Jersey
6.   Cypress Point   Pebble Beach, California
7.   Wissahickon Course at Philadelphia Cricket Club   Flourtown, Pennsylvania
8.   Seminole   Juno Beach, Florida
9.   Augusta National   Augusta, Georgia
10. Oakmont   Plum/Oakmont, Pennsylvania
oh, so now it's the golf technology?  hasn't the majority of us stated this already....it's a different day and game, so what used to be the "toughest test in golf (U.S. Open)" is no longer so
but you kept posting ridiculous link after link and player quotes.....sigh

PP

GoHogs1091

Miller has said that the rain that occurred the night before the 4th Round softened up Oakmont.  Lanny Wadkins shot a 65 that 4th Round.

With that said, Miller's 63 was a very good Round.  To me though, it is not the best round shot.  Here is to me the greatest Rounds shot.

1.  Raymond Floyd    63   1st Round    1982 PGA Championship    Southern Hills

Floyd shot the 63 in 1982 in blast furnace 100+ degree heat.  To put Floyd's 63 at Southern Hills into perspective, in that 1st Round Jack Nicklaus shot a 74 (+4), Tom Watson shot a 72 (+2), Johnny Miller shot a 76 (+6), Seve Ballesteros shot a 71 (+1), and Hale Irwin shot a 73 (+3).

2.  Johnny Miller    63    4th Round    1973 U.S. Open    Oakmont

3.  Bernhard Langer    62    4th Round    1984 Spanish Open    El Saler

Langer's final round 62 in 1984 at El Saler is regarded by many as being the greatest round ever shot on the European Tour.

4.  Bernhard Langer    62    2nd Round    1994 Volvo Masters     Valderrama 

Valderrama is considered one of the toughest, if not the toughest course in Europe.  Langer had 11 threes during his Round of 62.  Langer had just 22 putts during the Round.

5.  Anthony Kim    65    2nd Round    2009 Masters    Augusta National

It was Kim's only second competitive Round ever at Augusta National.  During his 65 (-7) Round, Kim had a 11 Birdies.  Kim's 11 Birdies broke Nick Price's record for most Birdies in a single Round at The Masters (Price set that record in the 3rd Round in 1986).

Regarding greatest 4 Rounds shot in a single tournament, some people feel that Tiger Woods' 2000 U.S. Open is the greatest 4 Rounds ever shot.  To me, the following are the two greatest 4 Rounds shot.

1.  Raymond Floyd    -17    1976 Masters    Augusta National

Floyd shot 65, 66, 70, and 70 over the 4 Rounds.  He carved up Augusta National primarily by using a 5 Wood, a new type of club at that specific moment in time (Floyd had to get a 5 Wood custom made).  He won by 8 shots.

2.  Bernhard Langer    -18    2014 British Senior Open    Royal Porthcawl

Before the tournament started, Tom Watson stated to the Media that Royal Porthcawl is 4 shots tougher than Royal Liverpool, where Rory McIlroy won The Open Championship the week before (Watson had also competed at Royal Liverpool in 2014).  Also during the tournament at Royal Porthcawl, the wind blew 20+mph for most of the tournament.  Langer shot 65, 66, 68, 67 over the 4 Rounds.  He won by 13 shots.

MikePiazza

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on June 20, 2016, 10:20:17 pm
Miller has said that the rain that occurred the night before the 4th Round softened up Oakmont.  Lanny Wadkins shot a 65 that 4th Round.

With that said, Miller's 63 was a very good Round.  To me though, it is not the best round shot.  Here is to me the greatest Rounds shot.

1.  Raymond Floyd    63   1st Round    1982 PGA Championship    Southern Hills

Floyd shot the 63 in 1982 in blast furnace 100+ degree heat.  To put Floyd's 63 at Southern Hills into perspective, in that 1st Round Jack Nicklaus shot a 74 (+4), Tom Watson shot a 72 (+2), Johnny Miller shot a 76 (+6), Seve Ballesteros shot a 71 (+1), and Hale Irwin shot a 73 (+3).

2.  Johnny Miller    63    4th Round    1973 U.S. Open    Oakmont

3.  Bernhard Langer    62    4th Round    1984 Spanish Open    El Saler

Langer's final round 62 in 1984 at El Saler is regarded by many as being the greatest round ever shot on the European Tour.

4.  Bernhard Langer    62    2nd Round    1994 Volvo Masters     Valderrama 

Valderrama is considered one of the toughest, if not the toughest course in Europe.  Langer had 11 threes during his Round of 62.  Langer had just 22 putts during the Round.

5.  Anthony Kim    65    2nd Round    2009 Masters    Augusta National

It was Kim's only second competitive Round ever at Augusta National.  During his 65 (-7) Round, Kim had a 11 Birdies.  Kim's 11 Birdies broke Nick Price's record for most Birdies in a single Round at The Masters (Price set that record in the 3rd Round in 1986).

Regarding greatest 4 Rounds shot in a single tournament, some people feel that Tiger Woods' 2000 U.S. Open is the greatest 4 Rounds ever shot.  To me, the following are the two greatest 4 Rounds shot.

1.  Raymond Floyd    -17    1976 Masters    Augusta National

Floyd shot 65, 66, 70, and 70 over the 4 Rounds.  He carved up Augusta National primarily by using a 5 Wood, a new type of club at that specific moment in time (Floyd had to get a 5 Wood custom made).  He won by 8 shots.

2.  Bernhard Langer    -18    2014 British Senior Open    Royal Porthcawl

Before the tournament started, Tom Watson stated to the Media that Royal Porthcawl is 4 shots tougher than Royal Liverpool, where Rory McIlroy won The Open Championship the week before (Watson had also competed at Royal Liverpool in 2014).  Also during the tournament at Royal Porthcawl, the wind blew 20+mph for most of the tournament.  Langer shot 65, 66, 68, 67 over the 4 Rounds.  He won by 13 shots.

You have a peculiar obsession with Bernhard Langer.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

HognitiveDissonance

Oakmont now has no Oaks on it.
They took a good idea...removing trees from a course...and took it to a ridiculous level.
A lot of courses could use tree removal to promote more growth of grass and create more paths for recovery shots.
But seriously, to cut down every single tree on the course? It didn't look right at all.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on June 20, 2016, 10:53:18 pm
They took a good idea...removing trees from a course...and took it to a ridiculous level.
A lot of courses could use tree removal to promote more growth of grass and create more paths for recovery shots.
But seriously, to cut down every single tree on the course? It didn't look right at all.

They probably did take the tree clearing too far.  Even though there was either no trees when the course opened, or just a few when the course opened, they should have cleared some, but also left a reasonable amount of trees.

It is really getting worrisome regarding some of the decisions that have been made by Clubs in regsrds to some of the iconic courses in the United States.

Oakmont-  The adding of the number bunkers and the moving around of bunkers over time.  The total removal of trees.  Also, over time they have narrowed Henry C. Fownes' fairways.  Fownes' fairways were wider than the fairways that are there now.

Augusta National-  The flipping of the Front 9 and the Back 9 after the 1st Masters in 1934.  The 9s should have not been flipped.  The over time constant tinkering with the green at Hole 8 and the green at Hole 13.  The allowing Architect Robert Trent Jones in 1947 to butcher Alister MacKenzie's original Hole 16.  The misguided hiring of Tom Fazio in order to try to "Tiger Proof" the course.  Totally ridiculous to try to "proof" the course because of 1 player.  The misguided early 2000's narrowing of the fairway on Hole 7, Hole 11, and Hole 15.  Alister MacKenzie and Bobby Jones wanted wide playing corridors for strategic playing options.

Pinehurst No. 2-  The over time butchering of Donald Ross' originally designed greens.  The resulting domed greens are an outright travesty.

Oak Hill (East Course)-  The butchering of Donald Ross' work at Oak Hill.

PonderinHog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on June 20, 2016, 12:07:06 am

When I create another Top 10 ranking list of courses in the United States, I am going to drop Oakmont down a few spots.
Thanks for the warning.

Jim Harris

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on June 20, 2016, 10:53:18 pm

It's been that way since 2007.
But on the other hand, they added hundreds upon hundreds of trees in the 1950s through the '62 open. How it looks now is how it looked after Fownes had built his course, according to the membership.

Interesting, though, that the church pew bunkering on 3-4 is enormous compared to what was there in the 20th century.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

cosmodrum

I'm the taller one
Go away, batin'

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: cosmodrum on June 23, 2016, 12:55:24 pm
I'm the taller one

Cosmo was the policeman in the Village People.  Who knew?