Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mickelson

Started by EastexHawg, February 14, 2016, 10:43:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

EastexHawg

18 of 22 in his career when he has the 54 hole lead.  Just call him the anti-Furyk.

Say what you want about Phil, but the one thing he has never been is a choker.  We'll see how he does closing it out today.

onebadrubi

What's tigers record when holding a 54 hole lead?

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Dillar Dog

Did tiger make the cut?

clutch

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 14, 2016, 10:43:18 am
18 of 22 in his career when he has the 54 hole lead.  Just call him the anti-Furyk.

Say what you want about Phil, but the one thing he has never been is a choker.  We'll see how he does closing it out today.

Was he in the lead at the Masters when he started hitting balls in the stands and stuff a few years ago? Or was that they year Rory was winning and hit it to the cabins?

This is a serious question by the way.

EastexHawg

Quote from: clutch on February 14, 2016, 12:47:16 pm
Was he in the lead at the Masters when he started hitting balls in the stands and stuff a few years ago? Or was that they year Rory was winning and hit it to the cabins?

This is a serious question by the way.

I had to look it up.  That was 2012.  Mickelson was one shot behind Peter Hanson going into the final round.  His ball ricocheted off the railing of the stands and into a bamboo patch on I think the 4th hole. He made a triple bogey, shot 72, and finished 3rd...two shots out of the lead.

Boarcephus

That was a shocker to see Phil miss the putt on 18.  Good to see Taylor win it.  Never heard of him till today but good for him. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

userpick

I couldn't help but pull for VT. A couple years ago at the Byron Nelson, I was following a player who was paired with Vaughn the first two days. I walked with this group the entire first day. Vaughn shot even par. The second day I followed them again. Vaughn shot 5 over and missed the cut. He was on the putting green after the round and I was walking to the putting green to observe. During the first two days I learned that Vaughn was big into fishing. I wasn't going to bother him especially since he missed the cut. He was a few feet away from me and said "Thanks for coming out the past couple of days. How do you know Ken?" We talked for at least 30 minutes on the green and found out some cool stuff. He actually fishes the White River every year for about 10 days. He said he loves fishing in Arkansas. He holds the Georgia state record for some fish, I forget what kind. Either way, really good guy and was happy to see him win.

Pulled(PP)pork

Yep, eastex strikes again, lol

PP

EastexHawg

Phil hit some terrible shots today.  The 88 yarder from the middle of the fairway into a bunker several yards short of the hole was hard to believe for a player with his wedge game.

Maybe he realizes he might not have a lot more opportunities to win and wanted it too bad.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Pulled(PP)pork

ricepig

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 14, 2016, 09:49:21 pm
Phil hit some terrible shots today.  The 88 yarder from the middle of the fairway into a bunker several yards short of the hole was hard to believe for a player with his wedge game.

Maybe he realizes he might not have a lot more opportunities to win and wanted it too bad.

I think he was at the front of a divot on that one, but he did hit some quality shots too. I enjoy watching Phil play, lots of great rescue shots, and a few wth tee shots like mine, except 80 yards further.

Boog41

I think we all pretty much knew Phil was in trouble when he was +1 after six holes.....and those are the scoring holes on the course except 18.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Boog41 on February 15, 2016, 02:53:40 pm
I think we all pretty much knew Phil was in trouble when he was +1 after six holes.....and those are the scoring holes on the course except 18.

Yep.  There were a couple of really strange shots in that stretch.  One was the 88 yard wedge I already mentioned.  The other was the similarly short shot he tried to run up the hill and around the bunker on another hole, maybe #4 or #5.  He left it 20 yards short of the green because he was trying to hit the all-world shot close to the hole instead of hitting a higher wedge over the bunker and 20-25 feet right of the hole.  Two putt for par and go on.  He ended up making a 10-12 footer for par on the hole, but the fact that he had to do it demonstrates his mentality.

Phil always seems to assume that everyone else on the course (Blixt, Iwata, etc.) is going to keep making birdies and he has to try to birdie every hole to keep up.  In reality, if he had shot 71 he would have tied and 70 would have won.  Either of those scores would have been 2-3 shots worse than any other round of the week for him.

Having said all that, he is leading the tour in scoring average, top ten in the overall category, and currently 6th in the Ryder Cup standings.  He's playing well so maybe he will get another chance at being in contention soon...maybe at Augusta.

Boog41

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 15, 2016, 03:20:16 pm
Yep.  There were a couple of really strange shots in that stretch.  One was the 88 yard wedge I already mentioned.  The other was the similarly short shot he tried to run up the hill and around the bunker on another hole, maybe #4 or #5.  He left it 20 yards short of the green because he was trying to hit the all-world shot close to the hole instead of hitting a higher wedge over the bunker and 20-25 feet right of the hole.  Two putt for par and go on.  He ended up making a 10-12 footer for par on the hole, but the fact that he had to do it demonstrates his mentality.

Having said all that, he is leading the tour in scoring average, top ten in the overall category, and currently 6th in the Ryder Cup standings.  He's playing well so maybe he will get another chance at being in contention soon...maybe at Augusta.

I believe the hole you are mentioning is #3, which is a dog leg left that you can drive over the trees and cut the dog leg off. That is exactly what he did, and yeah, that was a really strange shot selection for sure.

I didn't know his stats were so good. I think it's good for the game of golf when Phil wins. He is a player the fans embrace. The fact that he was under pressure on 17 and found a way to birdie it tells me he still has something left in his tank when things are tight. He simply got off to a bad start yesterday.

ricepig

Quote from: Boog41 on February 15, 2016, 03:33:09 pm
I believe the hole you are mentioning is #3, which is a dog leg left that you can drive over the trees and cut the dog leg off. That is exactly what he did, and yeah, that was a really strange shot selection for sure.

I didn't know his stats were so good. I think it's good for the game of golf when Phil wins. He is a player the fans embrace. The fact that he was under pressure on 17 and found a way to birdie it tells me he still has something left in his tank when things are tight. He simply got off to a bad start yesterday.

Hunter Mahan was on The Herd today and said Phil is great to play with, talks all the time and that Bones has to try and talk him out of shots all the time. He said Phil knows he's going to hit wayward shots and looks forward to the challenge of how to hit it under the branches, hooking around the water, while landing softly on the green. He expects to be able to do that shot every time.

Iwastherein1969

that chip Mickelson left short sounded like he hit a hickory nut....I've never heard a Mickelson chip sound quite like that....as poorly as he struck the chip he was lucky to have a long 5 footer for the tie...by the way Eldrick says he's coming along fine on his come-back as he's hitting his irons well on the video game machine at the house...he's found something in the left side controller that is working for him
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 14, 2016, 09:11:13 pm
Eastex delivers the kiss of death!

On a side note, CBS' telecast today was just awful.  I guess they feel the need to recapture all that commercial time they have to forego at the Masters but whatever the reason, there were far too many commercial breaks, too many needless side stories (Nick in the gym? Who cares? put that on CBS online..) and some shoddy camera work of shots in flight. 

McCord seems lost without Feherty, IBF couldn't say a bad word about a mugging in progress (even if such a thing were actually occurring right in front of him), Faldo blathers on far too much and if a 56 year old Nantz is still fertile enough to score with wife number 2, he should have stayed home a bit longer. 

A bit over the top perhaps but the quality of CBS' telecast has dropped markedly.  They had better get their game together prior to April or the Master's power brokers may reconsider their relationship.   

I know they don't care, but can you imagine what the broadcast rights would be for the Masters?
Hmmm...I wouldn't go quite that far.
But losing Feherty was a blow, no doubt about it.
I've always thought Faldo doesn't tell me a whole lot as the main analyst. I don't care for him much personally but enjoy listening to his British accent. But he actually says just isn't very profound most times.
Nantz did seem a little more subdued but having a baby two weeks ago would probably do that to you.
Dottie Pepper is ok, but she's no Feherty.
Feherty was good. He was funny without it ever sounding forced. Perfect timing. Like when Victor Dubisson was pulling off all those incredible chip shots from the desert brush two years ago at the Match Play Feherty said something about Arnold Palmer riding past him right now on a scooter that cracked everyone up.

Boarcephus

Quote from: ricepig on February 15, 2016, 04:00:11 pm
He expects to be able to do that shot every time.

I think it was Johnny Miller that said Mickelson has an extremely short memory when it comes to shots like that. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Boarcephus

Speaking of Feherty, where in the hell is he?   I caught him the last week or so on the Golf Channel but that's been it.  If there is a member of the broadcast crew that I would consider essential, it'd be him.  Certainly not Faldo, McCord can be funny but nowhere in the class of Feherty, IBF is a nice guy as is Nance but I want to be entertained and none do it quite like Feherty. 

Boog41

Quote from: Boarcephus on February 16, 2016, 08:21:07 am
Speaking of Feherty, where in the hell is he?   I caught him the last week or so on the Golf Channel but that's been it.  If there is a member of the broadcast crew that I would consider essential, it'd be him.  Certainly not Faldo, McCord can be funny but nowhere in the class of Feherty, IBF is a nice guy as is Nance but I want to be entertained and none do it quite like Feherty. 

Feherty and CBS couldn't come to terms on a new contract. He is now over at NBC with Johnny Miller.

IMHO, he was the missing link in last weekends coverage. Even McCord isn't the same without him.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Boog41 on February 16, 2016, 08:49:13 am
Feherty and CBS couldn't come to terms on a new contract. He is now over at NBC with Johnny Miller.

IMHO, he was the missing link in last weekends coverage. Even McCord isn't the same without him.

Thanks!  I enjoy watching golf and will continue to do so but he is what makes it really enjoyable.  I could almost turn the volume off get by just fine with who they have announcing it now

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Boarcephus on February 16, 2016, 08:54:15 am
Thanks!  I enjoy watching golf and will continue to do so but he is what makes it really enjoyable.  I could almost turn the volume off get by just fine with who they have announcing it now

Any time you jump networks like Feherty did, there will be a "no compete" clause that will keep you from working at a competitor for some period of time.  That's why Feherty had to sit on the sidelines for awhile, but now I'm sure you will be hearing him on every NBC golf broadcast.  And it made sense for him to be at NBC, since NBC owns Golf Channel and that's where his show is.

Regarding Faldo, he's not my favorite but I think it's more because he seems smug than because of what he says.  I heard he insisted on being introduced as "Sir Nick Faldo" after he got knighted (or whatever they call it across the pond now).  Just seems like an uppity Brit to me.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on February 16, 2016, 09:38:43 am
Any time you jump networks like Feherty did, there will be a "no compete" clause that will keep you from working at a competitor for some period of time.  That's why Feherty had to sit on the sidelines for awhile, but now I'm sure you will be hearing him on every NBC golf broadcast.  And it made sense for him to be at NBC, since NBC owns Golf Channel and that's where his show is.

Regarding Faldo, he's not my favorite but I think it's more because he seems smug than because of what he says.  I heard he insisted on being introduced as "Sir Nick Faldo" after he got knighted (or whatever they call it across the pond now).  Just seems like an uppity Brit to me.

I despise Faldo.  I'm a little surprised the Master's will let him back on their coverage after rooting against Speight to not break his record.  He's a prick.  If they can get their panties in a wad after McCord for saying something along the line their greens were as slick as if they'd been bikini waxed I'm shocked there wasn't a bigger uproar after his comments regarding Speight.

Boog41

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on February 16, 2016, 09:38:43 am

It does make more sense for Feherty to be on the golf channel. It sure seemed odd hearing him with Johnny Miller though.

And speaking of Miller. I personally dislike him more than Faldo. He is so negative.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Boog41 on February 16, 2016, 11:09:39 am
It does make more sense for Feherty to be on the golf channel. It sure seemed odd hearing him with Johnny Miller though.

And speaking of Miller. I personally dislike him more than Faldo. He is so negative.

I'm not sure "negative" is a good term, it's more like he's correlating the inner fears he felt as a player to what the players on the course might be feeling at the time.  I have heard the players don't like him for that very reason.   

Boog41

Quote from: Boarcephus on February 16, 2016, 11:47:03 am
I'm not sure "negative" is a good term, it's more like he's correlating the inner fears he felt as a player to what the players on the course might be feeling at the time.  I have heard the players don't like him for that very reason.   

Maybe critical is a better word than negative...... he no doubt criticizes way more than he does anything else.

Hawgndaaz

my impersonation of Miller:

"Yeah that was a pretty good shot on 16, but this one time I hit it so much better".

Boog41

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on February 16, 2016, 01:10:51 pm
my impersonation of Miller:

"Yeah that was a pretty good shot on 16, but this one time I hit it so much better".

Yep, you've definitely been watching him.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Boog41 on February 16, 2016, 12:54:13 pm
he no doubt criticizes way more than he does anything else.

Yes he does.  He sees demons behind every shot.  I think his favorite words are "choke" and "pressure". 

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Boarcephus on February 16, 2016, 01:23:56 pm
Yes he does.  He sees demons behind every shot.  I think his favorite words are "choke" and "pressure".

If you're talking about Miller, this is my personal favorite, which you hear in every tournament he calls: 

Gary Koch:  "He's got a downhill, 25 foot right-to-left breaker into the grain."

Miller:  "This is actually an easy putt."

Boarcephus

LOL!!  Sounds about right.  I'd much rather listen to him than Faldo.

EastexHawg

The truth is you can't talk about what it takes to win golf tournaments without bringing up the choke factor.  Some guys can almost always hit the same beautiful shots they hit on the driving range on the back nine on Sunday.  Others can't.  That's the difference between the guys who win 20-80 tour events and multiple majors and the ones who don't.

I enjoy listening to Feherty, McCord, Faldo, and Miller.  They all know what they are talking about and bring insight and expertise to the telecast.  In fact, about the only golf telecast I can remember that made me want to hit the mute button was the abortion Fox tried to pass off as golf coverage last year during the U.S. Open.

It's bad enough that I have to hear Joe Buck on baseball telecasts and most Cowboys games...but golf?  He has to ruin that, too?

The rest of the crew wasn't much better.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on February 15, 2016, 10:38:16 pm
that chip Mickelson left short sounded like he hit a hickory nut....I've never heard a Mickelson chip sound quite like that....as poorly as he struck the chip he was lucky to have a long 5 footer for the tie...by the way Eldrick says he's coming along fine on his come-back as he's hitting his irons well on the video game machine at the house...he's found something in the left side controller that is working for him
good lord I got a chuckle out of that

PP

Boog41

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on February 15, 2016, 10:38:16 pm

What is "left side controller"?

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 16, 2016, 02:03:51 pm
The truth is you can't talk about what it takes to win golf tournaments without bringing up the choke factor.  Some guys can almost always hit the same beautiful shots they hit on the driving range on the back nine on Sunday.  Others can't.  That's the difference between the guys who win 20-80 tour events and multiple majors and the ones who don't.

I enjoy listening to Feherty, McCord, Faldo, and Miller.  They all know what they are talking about and bring insight and expertise to the telecast.  In fact, about the only golf telecast I can remember that made me want to hit the mute button was the abortion Fox tried to pass off as golf coverage last year during the U.S. Open.

It's bad enough that I have to hear Joe Buck on baseball telecasts and most Cowboys games...but golf?  He has to ruin that, too?

The rest of the crew wasn't much better.

what about Chris Berman? 

Boog41

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 16, 2016, 02:52:11 pm
You're a bit on the north side of 40, aren't you Boog?

More than a bit. I'm wishing now I could take that question back.

Jackrabbit Hog

I remember how excited we were at my house when we got "Pong".

I thought it was the coolest space age shite I'd ever seen.

MS_HogFan

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on February 17, 2016, 06:19:05 am
I remember how excited we were at my house when we got "Pong".

I thought it was the coolest space age shite I'd ever seen.

LOL...
SOOIE

MS_HogFan

Did y'all ever play RBI baseball on the first nintendo? We used to wear that game out
SOOIE

EastexHawg

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on February 16, 2016, 04:22:33 pm
what about Chris Berman? 

I don't know.  I haven't heard him as a golf commentator, but I did watch him try to play at the AT&T.  Let's just say his game needs a lot of work.

I think I can also say that he must have given up on the Nutrisystem he was pushing a while back.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: MS_HogFan on February 17, 2016, 08:32:57 am
Did y'all ever play RBI baseball on the first nintendo? We used to wear that game out
stayed up all night playing that.....one of my buddies figured out some glitch in the game and could get the outfield player to do some weird Shiite

PP

EastexHawg

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 16, 2016, 10:03:23 pm
For what it's worth, I could beat anyone on the Atari 5200 (which still has the best football game ever IMO - better than even Bo Jackson on Tecmo).  That should give you some idea of my age.   

I'm not sure if that's the football game one of my friends had, but it was absolutely impossible to beat him.  The best you could ever do was a tie...if you scored on every possession and got either the first or last possession.  If the game was tied entering the 4th quarter, he could run out the clock for an entire quarter and score on the last play of the game EVERY TIME.

It was frustrating as hell.

Hawgndaaz

Pulled(PP)pork

Mike Tyson: Punch Out......awesome

PP

Hawgndaaz

Jackrabbit Hog

I was all-world on Frogger in the pre-video game days at college.

What that has to do with Mickelson, I haven't a clue.

MS_HogFan

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on February 17, 2016, 10:06:37 am
Mike Tyson: Punch Out......awesome

PP

Yes. I forgot about that one. Was epic
SOOIE

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 17, 2016, 11:40:03 am
Who cares, we're on a nostalgia roll!

Aw, what the heck.  Just for kicks and giggles...

Asteroids
Centipede
Space Invaders
Pac Man (and the Ms., which I preferred)
Super Mario Brothers