Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Old Guys Rule - Rick Clunn age 69 wins Bassmaster Elite Opener

Started by hogbud, March 20, 2016, 09:25:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogbud

69 year old Missouri legend Rick Clunn won the opening event on the Bassmaster Elite Series in Florida on the St. John's River.  His 4 day total of 81 lbs/15 oz. included a monumental catch of 31 -7 on day three.  His first win came 39 years ago and he won one of his four Bassmaster Classics on the Arkansas River in 1984. In a era of young guns and modern technology and equipment, the zen master of fishing did it again. 

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hog_Swanson

His day 3 catch, took 2 weigh in bags to carry 5 fish.  Search Alton Jones on facebook.  He was the co-angler that took the video and posted it on his page.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

Torqued pork

A 69 year-old just having the stamina to tournament fish four days is impressive.

TuffTusk

10 years ago I was a sales mgr for a fishing tackle manufacturer.  We had several pros on staff.  One night I got to sit down to dinner with Rick Clunn and Guido Hibdon.  Those two were talking and drawing on napkins about what they wanted us to produce for them.  It was a pretty neat evening.
Making the world a better place one frosty mug at a time

southarkhog06

I don't keep up with BassMasters much, but I don't see this as "an age of young guns and technology" in angling. I don't think there will ever be one of those actually fishing will always be a game where experience and instincts win out more often than not.

That being said winning a tourney at 69 is impressive no matter the sport.

hogbud

Quote from: southarkhog06 on March 28, 2016, 10:00:47 am
I don't keep up with BassMasters much, but I don't see this as "an age of young guns and technology" in angling. I don't think there will ever be one of those actually fishing will always be a game where experience and instincts win out more often than not.

Good grief just go to any boat ramp in Arkansas on a Saturday morning and check out the depth finder units if you don't believe technology is a factor. Waypoint sharing is common practice on the pro circuits and college bass fishing is providing plenty of young guns to competition.

That being said winning a tourney at 69 is impressive no matter the sport.