Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Any Trappers here?

Started by Spikes, February 14, 2016, 12:46:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

radar

Brings back a lot of memories of following my grandpa and uncles to run their traps in the 50s-60s. Back then we would skin the animals and stretch them on wood boards and hang them in the barn to dry. Many of the things I learned while trapping and hunting with them helped me survive my time in se asia.

Spikes

Thanks for all the supports and tips... Was a pretty good year of trapping.  Pulled all the traps out and now getting ready for the the Turkey season.

You only have one life, so you better enjoy it!

DeWayne R

Conibear 330 works real good on beavers.
When you're Black and proud it's called pride but when you're White and proud it's called racism

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: tophawg19 on March 04, 2016, 08:43:32 pm
A lot of people will buy the meat from a coon . Think of this guys . if we don't control the population , Rabies will be an issue every year
With your line of thinking, follow me on this.  Magic Johnson plowed his way through the women of LA and contracted AIDS.  We should have just shot his infected *bleep*, and carried on with our limited thinking ways.  I'm pretty sure he is glad that you never became a doctor. 

Smart people attack the source of the problem.  Then there are those that only go after the carrier. 

Hope this didn't fly over the top of your heads.   
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

kodiakisland

Swanson
I'm just wondering how much trapping you've done.  Anyone can have an opinion.  An informed opinion on the other hand...

Lets just say most of us country fellars who grew up in the outdoors and have trapped quite a bit don't necessarily see it your way, or PETAs, or whoevers it is.

Next your arguments against trapping will go for hunting as well.  Afterall, last time I checked anyone who wants it can get meat in the store, where animals are not harmed.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: kodiakisland on March 11, 2016, 12:21:33 am
Swanson
I'm just wondering how much trapping you've done.  Anyone can have an opinion.  An informed opinion on the other hand...And just which side of the fence is "informed"?

Lets just say most of us country fellars who grew up in the outdoors and have trapped quite a bit don't necessarily see it your way, or PETAs, or whoevers it is.Do you know me?  Do you know how I grew up?  Are you "informed" of me?

Next your arguments against trapping will go for hunting as well.  Afterall, last time I checked anyone who wants it can get meat in the store, where animals are not harmed.
Read more, post less.  I am an avid hunter and fisherman.  Had you started at the top of page #1, you would know this.  Get a clue, hillbilly. 

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

kodiakisland

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on March 11, 2016, 12:38:28 am
Read more, post less.  I am an avid hunter and fisherman.  Had you started at the top of page #1, you would know this.  Get a clue, hillbilly. 

So answer the question.  How much trapping have you done?  It's a simple question.  I'm not the first to have asked you.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: kodiakisland on March 11, 2016, 12:41:06 am
So answer the question.  How much trapping have you done?  It's a simple question.  I'm not the first to have asked you.
Do you think for one minute that I have done any trapping?  Read through this thread.  Comprehend what you are reading.  I am against trapping.  Holy cow, your IQ is low.

kodiakisland

I just wanted to see you say you know nothing about what it is you are talking about.
Thankyou

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: kodiakisland on March 11, 2016, 12:46:23 am
I just wanted to see you say you know nothing about what it is you are talking about.
Thankyou
Haha. you won.  You must think you can cure cancer now.  FCJ could have drawn his own conclusion on how I feel about trapping.  But you couldn't.  If you don't like something, are you going to do it?  If you don't believe something is the right thing to do, will you still do it?  It really doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out.  But hey, because you need the win, you can have it.  Consider this your "make a wish" gift.  Kudos, you can get back to braiding your family tree.

kodiakisland

You could be much more affective in your arguments if you left out the personal insults, or lame attempts.  You are obviously ignorant about trapping and are also quite obviously against becoming educated.  Certainly not a unique stance.  I'm just wondering why you chose to post in a thread about something you know nothing about and are against?  I don't go posting in PETA threads.  Why do you feel the need to post in this one?  You might find a more welcoming environment in threads you have something to contribute to.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: kodiakisland on March 11, 2016, 01:03:04 am
You could be much more affective in your arguments if you left out the personal insults, or lame attempts. You are obviously ignorant about trapping and are also quite obviously against becoming educated.  Certainly not a unique stance.  I'm just wondering why you chose to post in a thread about something you know nothing about and are against?  I don't go posting in PETA threads.  Why do you feel the need to post in this one?  You might find a more welcoming environment in threads you have something to contribute to.
Just because you type it, doesn't make it true.  Please, enlighten me.

DeltaBoy

Trapping is a needed part of an over all mammal management program.  Bottom Line.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

JIMMY BOARFFETT

March 11, 2016, 10:18:27 am #63 Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 11:25:16 am by JIMMY BOARFFETT
During the early 80s, three studies, that I know of, were conducted to identify the major nest predators of wild turkey and quail.  The number one nest predator in two of the studies was the free running dog, in the third study the number one nest predator was the raccoon.  The raccoon was a close second in the other two studies.

Now, if I recall correctly, that was during a time when a good sized, good quality raccoon hide brought upwards of $30.  Everybody who could set a trap had traps out.  The raccoon, with all this trapping pressure out there, still was identified as a major nest predator of ground nesting birds.

So, my question is, with the minimal pressure on the raccoon and other nest predators today, how much more of a toll is taken on ground nesting birds now than when the trapping pressure was high?  It has to be significant in my way of thinking.

Disease from the poultry industry, habitat loss, pesticide misuse and other things are certainly contributors to the reduction of gallinaceous bird populations (turkeys and quail) but the unchecked predator populations is also a major factor.  Trapping is a tool that is used much less today than in the past.
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on March 10, 2016, 11:40:50 pm
With your line of thinking, follow me on this.  Magic Johnson plowed his way through the women of LA and contracted AIDS.  We should have just shot his infected *bleep*, and carried on with our limited thinking ways.  I'm pretty sure he is glad that you never became a doctor. 

Smart people attack the source of the problem.  Then there are those that only go after the carrier. 

Hope this didn't fly over the top of your heads.
I got no dog in this figh but this post did raise a question when I read it.

What should the average joe do to help control disease spread? I gather from your post that you think population control as a method is idiotic. Correct me if I misunderstood

Wayne Watson

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on March 11, 2016, 12:44:50 am
Do you think for one minute that I have done any trapping?  Read through this thread.  Comprehend what you are reading.  I am against trapping.  Holy cow, your IQ is low.

Then you contribute nothing to the thread.  This is not a political forum.  You may go now.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: Wayne Watson on March 11, 2016, 11:56:29 am
Then you contribute nothing to the thread.  This is not a political forum.  You may go now.
Got your warning, Wayne.  To all in this thread, if I have offended you from insults or name calling, I apologize.  I think we can all remain being grown ups here.

LSUFan

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on March 11, 2016, 12:36:12 pm
Got your warning, Wayne.  To all in this thread, if I have offended you from insults or name calling, I apologize.  I think we can all remain being grown ups here.
I'm hurt, and it's gonna take about 20 large to make me feel better.

My routing number is...........Hey, you wanna grab a pen? I'll wait......
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: LSUFan on March 11, 2016, 01:09:00 pm
I'm hurt, and it's gonna take about 20 large to make me feel better.

My routing number is...........Hey, you wanna grab a pen? I'll wait......
You're hurt because you are an LSU fan.  It's okay, you have plenty of reasons to be hurt.

LSUFan

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on March 11, 2016, 01:19:43 pm
You're hurt because you are an LSU fan.  It's okay, you have plenty of reasons to be hurt.
Oh, how I wish that profound, condensed pearl-of-wisdom had originated in the inner sanctum recesses of my own pathetically puny cerebellum, - - and that I could have been so blessed as to have expressed the encompassing grandeur of that observation in such elite, prosaic fashion.  I am privileged to bask in the reflected glory of your inimitable, radiant eloquence, sir.

;D
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

JIMMY BOARFFETT

Quote from: LSUFan on March 11, 2016, 01:22:14 pm
Oh, how I wish that profound, condensed pearl-of-wisdom had originated in the inner sanctum recesses of my own pathetically puny cerebellum, - - and that I could have been so blessed as to have expressed the encompassing grandeur of that observation in such elite, prosaic fashion.  I am privileged to bask in the reflected glory of your inimitable, radiant eloquence, sir.

;D

Hey Bro Fan, I think your computer's been hacked. :o
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

johnny cash

So they want to blame declining turkey populations to predators only? I kill every bobcat and coyote I see. National forest in White rock area had tons of turkey, but every year during nesting time they do controlled burns. Hmmm. You think a controlled burn making the eggs cooked for coons is not contributing? I have asked many people in forestry department why. There answer is always the same, got the right wind. Well I'm a turkey hunter and this crap pisses me off, cause some idiot turned hogs he trapped in a farm next to ours. That messed up the turkey hunting. Heavy rains and flooding in areas screws up the hatch as well. As trapping goes, I'm totally for it and do some from time to time when things get out of control around our place. Carry one.

pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: johnny cash on March 14, 2016, 08:51:52 am
So they want to blame declining turkey populations to predators only? I kill every bobcat and coyote I see. National forest in White rock area had tons of turkey, but every year during nesting time they do controlled burns. Hmmm. You think a controlled burn making the eggs cooked for coons is not contributing? I have asked many people in forestry department why. There answer is always the same, got the right wind. Well I'm a turkey hunter and this crap pisses me off, cause some idiot turned hogs he trapped in a farm next to ours. That messed up the turkey hunting. Heavy rains and flooding in areas screws up the hatch as well. As trapping goes, I'm totally for it and do some from time to time when things get out of control around our place. Carry one.

I've often wondered why they wait so late for the burns too. You mean they never got the right wind from December till early March?  I don't buy that. Lol

johnny cash

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on March 14, 2016, 06:30:14 pm
I've often wondered why they wait so late for the burns too. You mean they never got the right wind from December till early March?  I don't buy that. Lol
it is another idiot govt decision