Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Good lord it seems like a lot of semi regular posters are missing!!

Started by k.c.hawg, February 24, 2018, 09:56:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

k.c.hawg

Calling all posters!! Calling all posters!!
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

jmingram911

greenEGnHAWGS

Ha ha...I almost asked where the people were that are upset that Mike and his team won...
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

Dirty

forrest city joe

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on February 24, 2018, 11:09:03 pm
Ha ha...I almost asked where the people were that are upset that Mike and his team won...
They will be back when the Hogs lose again.when the hogs and Mike Anderson win,it upset them to much.it's called being a Anderson hater.

redneckfriend

There does seem to be an inconsistency with postings depending on a win or a loss. Now, I'm no big Anderson fan but I think I'm a realist. He is a fairly good coach who hasn't been able to recruit the kind of talent necessary to win big. He has however done pretty well with what he has. I am hopeful that he can finish and retire here as a sort of positive legacy to balance Nolan Richardson's negative legacy. In the meantime Arkansas will most likely remain a reasonably good, but not great, SEC team.

Some here are so delusional they think that, as in football, it just takes hiring the right "super" coach and everything will fall into place. Since Morris seems to be the new bright and shining coaching hope I'll be interested to see how that plays out. Even if it does go south with Morris you can bet the same process will continue and the same abuse will be handed out to any coach who doesn't live up to certain people's fantasies.

5ACentral

Quote from: redneckfriend on February 25, 2018, 09:16:32 am
There does seem to be an inconsistency with postings depending on a win or a loss. Now, I'm no big Anderson fan but I think I'm a realist. He is a fairly good coach who hasn't been able to recruit the kind of talent necessary to win big. He has however done pretty well with what he has. I am hopeful that he can finish and retire here as a sort of positive legacy to balance Nolan Richardson's negative legacy. In the meantime Arkansas will most likely remain a reasonably good, but not great, SEC team.

Some here are so delusional they think that, as in football, it just takes hiring the right "super" coach and everything will fall into place. Since Morris seems to be the new bright and shining coaching hope I'll be interested to see how that plays out. Even if it does go south with Morris you can bet the same process will continue and the same abuse will be handed out to any coach who doesn't live up to certain people's fantasies.
EXCELLENT overview of things and so true... Kudo 1+ for you, sir..

McKdaddy

Rational post. +1
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

McKdaddy

I was a big proponent of the MA hire. Loved it.

I appreciate how he has improved the program over Heath & Pel, but after 7 years I believe we are near or at the top of his plateau. Maybe we can get a better coach, maybe not. I'm not calling for his firing. However, over a 7-year period I would've thought we'd be at 5 ncaa appearances, a couple of sweet 16's, and 1 conference title .... not unrealistic expectations.

razorpimp

I'm very critical of Mike like many others on here, but I believe that most of us also have the ability to give credit where credit is due.  I have nothing but good things to say about last nights game plan by Mike, he slowed it down and saved his players!  It was an excellent plan and it worked! 

The difference between the folks that are critical and the "blind love" group is few are critical of Mike's decisions when they don't make sense. 

If Mike had that game plan all year who knows where this team would be

Mike Irwin

Quote from: 5ACentral on February 25, 2018, 09:26:27 am
EXCELLENT overview of things and so true... Kudo 1+ for you, sir..

Quote from: McKdaddy on February 25, 2018, 09:28:13 am
Rational post. +1

Seriously?  Three Final Fours, two appearances in the national championship game and a national championship. A HOF coach and you people think that's a negative legacy?

On what planet?

McKdaddy

I don't like the blind-hate or blind-love thinking, concerning any coach. I try to be rational in my praise and criticism.

McKdaddy

Quote from: Mike Irwin on February 25, 2018, 09:42:50 am
Seriously?  Three Final Fours, two appearances in the national championship game and a national championship. A HOF coach and you people think that's a negative legacy?

On what planet?

My +1 was not for the Nolan sentence.

maggiesue

Didn't watch it but good win on the road.  Looks like our mediocrity was better than theirs.

5ACentral

Quote from: razorpimp on February 25, 2018, 09:40:12 am
I'm very critical of Mike like many others on here, but I believe that most of us also have the ability to give credit where credit is due.  I have nothing but good things to say about last nights game plan by Mike, he slowed it down and saved his players!  It was an excellent plan and it worked! 

The difference between the folks that are critical and the "blind love" group is few are critical of Mike's decisions when they don't make sense. 

We would have won a couple of more games with better coaching. I'd like to see MA get help from his "assistant" coaches, like his own relative and the former "star" BB player Scotty T... They seem to just sit and frown, and I do not see them get into the faces of some players that need that "push".. We need it, especially with just a hand full of games remaining.. I see a max of 5 games remaining including the SEC playoff and NCAA games. We should win 25 games a year at a MINIMUM. With all the cupcake teams we play the first month of the season, you must win all of them, etc etc .... Glad to see us win a couple of "away games" this year. Hope we can beat Missouri. That would be nice.

razorback1829

Quote from: 5ACentral on February 25, 2018, 09:53:15 am
We would have won a couple of more games with better coaching. I'd like to see MA get help from his "assistant" coaches, like his own relative and the former "star" BB player Scotty T... They seem to just sit and frown, and I do not see them get into the faces of some players that need that "push".. We need it, especially with just a hand full of games remaining.. I see a max of 5 games remaining including the SEC playoff and NCAA games. We should win 25 games a year at a MINIMUM. With all the cupcake teams we play the first month of the season, you must win all of them, etc etc .... Glad to see us win a couple of "away games" this year. Hope we can beat Missouri. That would be nice.

It's amazing how truly clueless you are. Like... wow. Can't believe it still surprises me.

hobhog

Well since you brought it up- Still hasn't accomplished anything to satisfy me. He has 3 senior guards and a NBA center and we look to be a 10 seed. Was as happy as anyone we won yesterday and appear to clinch a bid but we still need to accomplish something with this team.

One and done and it won't be pretty.

Sorry- you brought it up. I was just enjoying the win until read OP.

forrest city joe

On what planet?

Bingo! Mike being a legacy of Nolan is a great thing.but not to some here on Hogville. they are a joke.

forrest city joe

Quote from: McKdaddy on February 25, 2018, 09:43:39 am
I don't like the blind-hate or blind-love thinking, concerning any coach. I try to be rational in my praise and criticism.
HA.that's a joke.and you know it.

McKdaddy

Quote from: forrest city joe on February 25, 2018, 10:09:27 am

Nope. The hardest I was on a coach was the last year of HDN and CBB.

5ACentral

Quote from: razorback1829 on February 25, 2018, 09:55:04 am
It's amazing how truly clueless you are. Like... wow. Can't believe it still surprises me.
You are right there on the scene every day coach, and I use that loosely .. You have a reason to be a "homer".  Job security or whatever.

forrest city joe

Quote from: maggiesue on February 25, 2018, 09:49:02 am
Didn't watch it but good win on the road.  Looks like our mediocrity was better than theirs.
Anderson haters like you are part of the problem. hogs win big road game,and it pisses you off. Mike Anderson winning big games pissed you off. you are the problem.

McKdaddy

Quote from: forrest city joe on February 25, 2018, 10:09:27 am

Quote from: McKdaddy on February 25, 2018, 09:35:27 am

I appreciate how he has improved the program over Heath & Pel, but after 7 years I believe we are near or at the top of his plateau. Maybe we can get a better coach, maybe not. I'm not calling for his firing. However, over a 7-year period I would've thought we'd be at 5 ncaa appearances, a couple of sweet 16's, and 1 conference title .... not unrealistic expectations.

I truly try to be rational. I don't like the extreme, polar opinions, be it about politics or coaches.

redneckfriend

On what planet?

I don't think you are quite getting it here. The "negative legacy" is a fact. It is a legacy that shouldn't be because Richardson was a great coach but it is sadly the residue of the bitterness (and dueling egos) between Richardson and Broyles. Richardson burned down the house of Arkansas basketball, as well as his legacy, when he filed an ill-considered suit based on a 14th Amendment equal protection claim. The suit had no chance and was simply "pay-back". Actions have consequences and that act has stained Arkansas basketball. Keeping Mike Anderson, Richardson's professional "son", as coach until his retirement would have a great benefit in bringing an end the downside of Richardson's legacy and would allow everyone to bury the worst of that past.

LivingLegends

Quote from: 5ACentral on February 25, 2018, 09:53:15 am
This idea that you have to get in a players face to get through to them is out dated.  The best coaches have different philosophies that contradict each other.  It's about knowing your team.  I don't expect the critics will change their philosophies and what they think is best but the more time that passes the more wrong they are.

cram224

I'll bit. CMA used a playbook that he read right here on HV. Too all those posters that said slow down play more zone and get the ball inside, +1 to all of you. Now, lets help MA beat Auburn.

Nickle-Pig

Quote from: LivingLegends on February 25, 2018, 10:16:40 am
This idea that you have to get in a players face to get through to them is out dated.  The best coaches have different philosophies that contradict each other.  It's about knowing your team.  I don't expect the critics will change their philosophies and what they think is best but the more time that passes the more wrong they are.

everyone is different that is why motivation has to be
Social sites are where cowards go to get a cup of courage.

hawgfan4life

Quote from: razorpimp on February 25, 2018, 09:40:12 am

You presume to know with certainty based on your opinions.  Had we pressed and ran, we might have blown them out.  We might have lost more games.

Even your r positive oats have negative disclaimers, comments, etc

k.c.hawg

Quote from: redneckfriend on February 25, 2018, 10:13:07 am
I don't think you are quite getting it here. The "negative legacy" is a fact. It is a legacy that shouldn't be because Richardson was a great coach but it is sadly the residue of the bitterness (and dueling egos) between Richardson and Broyles. Richardson burned down the house of Arkansas basketball, as well as his legacy, when he filed an ill-considered suit based on a 14th Amendment equal protection claim. The suit had no chance and was simply "pay-back". Actions have consequences and that act has stained Arkansas basketball. Keeping Mike Anderson, Richardson's professional "son", as coach until his retirement would have a great benefit in bringing an end the downside of Richardson's legacy and would allow everyone to bury the worst of that past.

Maybe with someone who's name begins with redneck. I think most have moved past that, recognize it as a nasty divorce and have decided they can go back to appreciating Nolan for what he accomplished. Hoping next basketball season begins with the unveiling of Nolan Richardson Court at Bud Walton Arena!!
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

McKdaddy

Quote from: k.c.hawg on February 25, 2018, 10:26:22 am

Hoping next basketball season begins with the unveiling of Nolan Richardson Court at Bud Walton Arena!!

Agreed.

FineAsSwine

I am hopeful that he can finish and retire here as a sort of positive legacy to balance Nolan Richardson's negative legacy.

1 national championship
2 appearances in the title game
3 or 4 final fours
5 or 6 elite eights
7 or 8 sweet sixteens
13 or fourteen NCAA appearances  all far outweigh the memory of 1 lawsuit. Certainly Nolan's legacy is a positive one or would you be willing to forego all of the stupendous success we had under Nolan just so we could say, "well at least he didn't file a lawsuit"?

Mike Irwin

Quote from: redneckfriend on February 25, 2018, 10:13:07 am
You're the one who doesn't get it probably because you don't have a clue what Nolan went through on a daily basis while taking the basketball program to the top. He got so many racist phone calls that his secretary started shielding him from them. At times Frank treated him like he was a nobody. The lawsuit was never winnable and he knew it. It was the only way he could get out into the open all the crazy stuff that went on in those days.

Probably 90% of Hog fans put that lawsuit behind them years ago and the only "stain" on Arkansas basketball is the crappy coaching that followed after Nolan was fired. Nolan has been honored all over the country. You don't get into the Basketball Hall of Fame with a negative legacy.

Nolan made peace with Frank several years ago. He publicly stated that he was over all that stuff. Too bad a few of the fans who were willing to accept the wins but not some of the controvery that came with those wins can't get over it.

BoarEd

Quote from: McKdaddy on February 25, 2018, 09:35:27 am

If we had made the Sweet Sixteen you'd be complaining that we didn't make the final four. That's what complainers do.

farmhawg

People have no idea about some of 5he crap they went through.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on February 25, 2018, 11:06:09 am
You're the one who doesn't get it probably because you don't have a clue what Nolan went through on a daily basis while taking the basketball program to the top. He got so many racist phone calls that his secretary started shielding him from them. At times Frank treated him like he was a nobody. The lawsuit was never winnable and he knew it. It was the only way he could get out into the open all the crazy stuff that went on in those days.

Probably 90% of Hog fans put that lawsuit behind them years ago and the only "stain" on Arkansas basketball is the crappy coaching that followed after Nolan was fired. Nolan has been honored all over the country. You don't get into the Basketball Hall of Fame with a negative legacy.

Nolan made peace with Frank several years ago. He publicly stated that he was over all that stuff. Too bad a few of the fans who were willing to accept the wins but not some of the controvery that came with those wins can't get over it.

good post Mike, but the things many can't get over has nothing to do with the controversy of the moment.. the things that bother them,  they'll never get over or change..

Gonzo

This place is truly sad. No matter the outcome of a game, seems like the bulk of the reaction is poking the "other side" in the eye. Yep, there are notable absences from some of the biggest trolls after either a win or a loss, it's just different ones depending on the result.

As for me, I think MA has done a pretty decent job up to now, though as a Hog fan I'd love to see more and hope it's coming soon. He's far from perfect, and he's far from a failure. I enjoyed seeing a key road win down the stretch as much as I was pained to see a tough home loss just days earlier.  Hopefully 2 more Ws heading into the postseason.

Go Hogs!

k.c.hawg

Thank you for telling it like it is. That was one strong ass man. As good as he was, he couldn't lose two games without the same negativity that accompanied his first season here. He can't coach. He is no Eddie Sutton. Nolan is Arkansas's basketball legacy.

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein
‏Verified account @JonRothstein
5h5 hours ago

"Victory has a thousand fathers, but defeat is an orphan." - John F. Kennedy
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

liljo

Quote from: McKdaddy on February 25, 2018, 09:43:39 am

Cool. But not me! I'm more the maniacal, paint your chest red on game-day, call the Hogs till you can't talk for 3 days, rootin', screamin', hollerin' at the TV, encouraging every player and coach FANatical type.

But outside of All-Things Razorback, I'm very rational, even civilized, cultured, well-travelled and well-read...well, there is one more exception...there are baseball fans. Then there are baseball fanatics. Then there are St. Louis Cardinals fans. At my house, we are what ya might call "St. Lou-natics."

Woooooooooooooo PIG, Soiee! (Did I spell 'soiee' right that time? Never certain)
Slow down, son. You'll ride past a lot more good stuff than you'll ever catch up to.

forrest city joe

+ 1000. one of your best post ever Mike.

bvillepig

Great post Mike.   He came to speak several times in our area and it made me sick what a lot of our fans would say.
During these speeches I never heard him say one thing that wasn't true. Most couldn't handle what he was saying.
They wanted him to just stay in his place and coach basketball. Nolan was more than that and I respected it. I understood what he and John Thomson were trying to accomplish and I was OK with it.

Mike is such a quiet guy but the same insinuations are used because some basketball traditionalist don't like his style.  I understand why he coaches is it because a long long time ago our undersized under talented team reached the state championship game using the same full court zone trapping and half court zone traps to overachieve.

In this day and age of AAU handling Arkansas is not going to get the one or 2 Mc D All Americans that Nolan could get that would make a difference.  Things might change now with the FBI involved and it might get back to a level playing field.

I have always thought that he has overachieved since he has been here with the talent he has. It is his style that gives us a chance and that is why I appreciate what he brings as a coach.

PonderinHog

There's a huge difference in being missing and being missed.

P. S.  I'm back!   8)

liljo

Quote from: bvillepig on February 25, 2018, 11:41:25 am
Great post Mike.   He came to speak several times in our area and it made me sick what a lot of our fans would say.
During these speeches I never heard him say one thing that wasn't true. Most couldn't handle what he was saying.
They wanted him to just stay in his place and coach basketball. Nolan was more than that and I respected it. I understood what he and John Thomson were trying to accomplish and I was OK with it.

Mike is such a quiet guy but the same insinuations are used because some basketball traditionalist don't like his style.  I understand why he coaches is it because a long long time ago our undersized under talented team reached the state championship game using the same full court zone trapping and half court zone traps to overachieve.

In this day and age of AAU handling Arkansas is not going to get the one or 2 Mc D All Americans that Nolan could get that would make a difference.  Things might change now with the FBI involved and it might get back to a level playing field.

I have always thought that he has overachieved since he has been here with the talent he has. It is his style that gives us a chance and that is why I appreciate what he brings as a coach.
+1. Great post, and Mike's, too.
Slow down, son. You'll ride past a lot more good stuff than you'll ever catch up to.

McKdaddy

Quote from: BoarEd on February 25, 2018, 11:12:01 am
If we had made the Sweet Sixteen you'd be complaining that we didn't make the final four. That's what complainers do.

No, go through my post history. I'm a realist as can be....at least I consciously try to be. I'd love a FF for our program and Mike, but achieving it can be so difficult in the way a tourney plays out—and in man ways can take some luck—that I'd be thrilled with the progression of seeing the program going farther under Mike.

jst01

I always hope Hogs win every game. I also know that's impossible. But I expect a coach to be able to recruit and play a game that maximizes the potential and is able to change and grow as the season/era demands. I stand by my opinion ion that Mike will always be a good coach and loves the state, but his recruiting and strategy won't get the hogs to any great places such as final fours or conference titles.

Nolan's Boots

Quote from: jmingram911 on February 24, 2018, 11:05:05 pm
WHERE ARE THE CRY BABIES?!?!?!?!?!

I FREAKING LOVE IT!!!

Jump Ball is a much better read when you don't have to wade through grown men PMSing on a message board just to get to some good discussion.
Pigs Gon Fly Today Brotha

FineAsSwine

Quote from: liljo on February 25, 2018, 11:35:33 am
Cool. But not me! I'm more the maniacal, paint your chest red on game-day, call the Hogs till you can't talk for 3 days, rootin', screamin', hollerin' at the TV, encouraging every player and coach FANatical type.

But outside of All-Things Razorback, I'm very rational, even civilized, cultured, well-travelled and well-read...well, there is one more exception...there are baseball fans. Then there are baseball fanatics. Then there are St. Louis Cardinals fans. At my house, we are what ya might call "St. Lou-natics."

Woooooooooooooo PIG, Soiee! (Did I spell 'soiee' right that time? Never certain)

You are starting to sound like a Russian bot. Every Arkansan, even the illiterate ones, can spell sooie. You can expect a call from Bob Mueller shortly.

popcornhog

On what planet?

I was wondering the same thing.
WPS

razorpimp

When has any poster ever said they are glad the Hogs lose?  I want someone to post something from anyone stating they want the Hogs to lose so Mike can be fired.

I've seen I think Mike should be fired, or Mike can be coach here as long as he wants, or Mike will be coach here for as long as he wants, etc.

Bottom line is lots of folks criticize Mike and lots of folks defend him.  But most only complain when the coaching has let the team down in some form or fashion.  Last night there was not one thing that could be complained about, it was a great game plan that shut down Bama, I was impressed.  Now Tuesday's game was a bad game plan IMO.

razorpimp

That the arena is not named after Nolan or at least the court is a freaking travesty!  I really hope it is fixed at some point!  I wish I had the money that could influence but I'm not even close!