Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I thought Bielema was the Offensive Line Guru

Started by Head, September 25, 2017, 11:30:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Head

When he was hired,  I remember everyone saying that he has placed more offensive lineman in the NFL than any other active coach.

Clearly the Offensive line was a major concern in Dallas, which makes it even more puzzling how the team is failing at the coaches biggest strength.

What's happenin here man??

311Hog

Quote from: Head on September 25, 2017, 11:30:39 am
When he was hired,  I remember everyone saying that he has placed more offensive lineman in the NFL than any other active coach.

Clearly the Offensive line was a major concern in Dallas, which makes it even more puzzling how the team is failing at the coaches biggest strength.

definitely one of the biggest mysteries IMHO.  I mean Ragnow can't get any better but what about the rest?

Sure been alot of turnover in the OL coaches spot but still.  That is the one thing i did NOT think would be a big problem under CBB.

onebadrubi

It appears he believes in having a dominant OL and the style of play it brings.  What is appearing to show is he is not capable of creating it from scratch without having severe help from an assistant or established program.

sickboy

Again... this is a losing argument. I'm frustrated with the program and would like to move on from Bielema... but the guy does 100% develop o-line talent and get them drafted.

Since he's been at Arkansas he's sent Tretola, Kirkland, Skipper and Swanson. That's four lineman with NFL opportunities in three draft classes since he's been at Arkansas. Ragnow will go and make it five lineman in four classes. To NFL people -- that's really, really, productive. Most programs don't do that.

While he was at Wisconsin -- he had a stretch that was just ridiculous. He sent so many lineman to the NFL it wasn't funny.

Again, I get that we're not happy with the program -- but how our offensive line plays on Saturdays has nothing to do with the OPs original argument about Bielema not sending lineman to the NFL.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

scottwillrazbackfan1

Youngsta71701

September 25, 2017, 01:03:46 pm #6 Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 01:41:48 pm by Youngsta71701
I hate to sound like I'm talking about the young man because I'm not. But I'm glad they finally moved Gibson back to right guard and put in another tackle. Guard is his best position not tackle. And Clary just wasn't ready for the big boys. They were pushing him into the backfield at will. Next step, put Brian Wallace back in at right tackle then we'll be on to something. Although Ramirez did play a lot better after his first few mistakes.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

sickboy

Quote from: scottwillrazbackfan1 on September 25, 2017, 12:59:57 pm
Swanson was recruited and signed by BP.

Doesn't matter. They can both claim they were involved in developing Swanson. Because they both were. To NFL scouts it's a moot point.

sickboy

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on September 25, 2017, 01:03:46 pm
I hate to sound like I'm talking about the young man because I'm not. But I'm glad they finally moved Gibson back to right guard and put in another tackle. Guard is his best position not tackle. And Clary just wasn't ready for the big boys. They were pushing in into the backfield at will. Next step, put Brian Wallace back in at right tackle then we'll be on to something. Although Ramirez did play a lot better after his first few mistakes.

Gibson made some monster blocks against A&M. He's maturing. Which is pretty remarkable considering he was a walk-on.

ricepig

Which has nothing to do with putting guys in the league.

thebignasty

The o-line problems are really just for the last 2 years.  After Ragnow, I'm not sure we start anyone on o-line that would start at a top half SEC school.  Thats not good, its especially puzzling when you put the o-line on the program.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: 311Hog on September 25, 2017, 11:31:54 am
definitely one of the biggest mysteries IMHO.

To me, this is THE biggest mystery of the Bielema era.

Starting with 2014 season, I thought the OL would be an area we never needed to concern ourselves with (and I know most of those guys were already here). With Jon Williams and Alex Collins—two 1000-yard backs—that was my favorite running game since Felix, DMac and Hillis. I believed the foundation was set, and we were only going to get better.

Like every position, it starts with recruiting. We may still get a stud or two, but we can't be super on one side, and weak on the other. I thought we'd be strong all across the line, then have some depth. This is the place you want depth. I believe if we had the best OL in the country, we wouldn't have to worry about the skill guys (except QB, which is hard to find). As long as one star RB shows up—Alex, Rawleigh, now Hayden—we'd be good to go.

But in the words of President Donald Trump—"Wrong."
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

johnny cash

DeltaBoy

Quote from: johnny cash on September 25, 2017, 01:16:36 pm
u need to call into Bo's show today and give them hell.

Unfortunately I a pretty swamped at work. But I will try.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on September 25, 2017, 01:03:46 pm
I hate to sound like I'm talking about the young man because I'm not. But I'm glad they finally moved Gibson back to right guard and put in another tackle. Guard is his best position not tackle. And Clary just wasn't ready for the big boys. They were pushing in into the backfield at will. Next step, put Brian Wallace back in at right tackle then we'll be on to something. Although Ramirez did play a lot better after his first few mistakes.
Bingo
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

DeltaBoy

It was only in my dreams

jkstock04

That, and I'm also wondering about skipper? I know he is with the Cowboys but is he actually on the traveling squad or is he a practice squad guy?

I agree with the OP. O-line has been overrated and average at best under Bielema. Overall it's been a major disappointment.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

WilsonHog

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 25, 2017, 01:28:38 pm
That, and I'm also wondering about skipper? I know he is with the Cowboys but is he actually on the traveling squad or is he a practice squad guy?

I agree with the OP. O-line has been overrated and average at best under Bielema. Overall it's been a major disappointment.

Dan was released a couple of days ago.

Hogdomer

Quote from: ricepig on September 25, 2017, 01:12:16 pm

He was "going to the league" even if Petrino was his coach all four years.

madison

Badger fan here. Just as an FYI, Bielema had little to do with those Badger offensive lines. That was mostly Bob Bostad. He had two years in which almost every single lineman he coached was drafted. Some are still in the NFL.

Bielema was a defensive coach. He was DC in 2004-05 at Wisconsin. His 2010-11 teams at UW got a lot of praise because they ran the pro style offense with the big road graders up front, but scored a lot of points. But he had little to do with offense -- that was Paul Chryst, the OC. I think Bielema was hoping to replicate those 2010-11 teams at Arkansas. Unfortunately for you guys, it's easier said than done. Especially in the SEC where Saban runs the pro-style offense but recruits at a much higher level.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: madison on September 25, 2017, 01:54:35 pm
Badger fan here. Just as an FYI, Bielema had little to do with those Badger offensive lines. That was mostly Bob Bostad. He had two years in which almost every single lineman he coached was drafted. Some are still in the NFL.

Bielema was a defensive coach. He was DC in 2004-05 at Wisconsin. His 2010-11 teams at UW got a lot of praise because they ran the pro style offense with the big road graders up front, but scored a lot of points. But he had little to do with offense -- that was Paul Chryst, the OC. I think Bielema was hoping to replicate those 2010-11 teams at Arkansas. Unfortunately for you guys, it's easier said than done. Especially in the SEC where Saban runs the pro-style offense but recruits at a much higher level.
Thanks for the point of view. Now we know.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

jcbville

He puts guys in the NFL. But the Oline issues these last 2 seasons are a result of putting too much faith in KA. HE just isnt a good Oline coach on his own. He needed to cut him loose after last season but he stuck with him and its going to cost him.

CBB lets his assistants run their spots. Which can be good. But when theyre on different pages and there isnt a cohesive over riding plan it becomes a problem. Hes given them too much freedom and it will cost him now. KA is the worst hire hes made. He believed him when he said he could get it done the 2nd year and kept him.

DeltaBoy

Bret seems to be a poor judge of coaches.

twistitup

The truth hurts....ouch
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

ShadowHawg

Quote from: sickboy on September 25, 2017, 01:08:19 pm
Doesn't matter. They can both claim they were involved in developing Swanson. Because they both were. To NFL scouts it's a moot point.

Sorry but Swanson was on draft boards from day one of CBB being hired.

YOU are the one claiming him as CBB guy. It was correctly pointed out that he isn't one.

Secondly, re original point is that there shouldn't be a problem no th oline in year 5 because he is a guru. Are you claiming there really isn't a problem because Ragnow will be drafted?

ricepig

Yeah, everybody knew that, I was hoping after Bostad got canned in the NFL that Bielema would hire him to replace Pittman. Looks like he took a job as an OLB coach at Wisconsin.

ricepig

Quote from: Hogdomer on September 25, 2017, 01:36:17 pm
He was "going to the league" even if Petrino was his coach all four years.

And every guy is going to the league no matter their coach, right? I never heard Bielema say he was the OL coach at Wisconsin or Arkansas, just that he was the HC and these guys played for him. It's a recruiting tool, whether it works or not is debatable, but he was their HC, correct?

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

MJ2

He may end up a genius at some point, but it won't be at AR.    Not a good fit.

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

scottwillrazbackfan1

Quote from: sickboy on September 25, 2017, 01:08:19 pm
Who cares, I was only pointing out "BB didn't put Swanson in the NFL"  Swanson was headed to the NFL before BB arrived at Arkansas.

ricepig

In other related good news, Skipper was signed to the Lions practice squad today.

Letsroll1200

ricepig

scottwillrazbackfan1

Quote from: ricepig on September 25, 2017, 01:12:16 pm
Exactly, I never said it did. I was responding to the previous post, stating BB had put Swanson in the NFL. Swanson was developed before BB got to Arkansas. BB and Pittman probably made Swanson an overall better lineman.

ricepig

Quote from: scottwillrazbackfan1 on September 25, 2017, 03:13:39 pm
Exactly, I never said it did. I was responding to the previous post, stating BB had put Swanson in the NFL. Swanson was developed before BB got to Arkansas. BB and Pittman probably made Swanson an overall better lineman.

As I stated, it's for recruiting. I doubt seriously that Spurrier, Meyers, Muschamp, or Mcilwain have had anything to do with Florida being DBU and putting all those guys in the league, but they use it as a recruiting tool.

longpig

Figured as much.  Was Alvarez finding his assistants and coordinators for him?
Don't be scared, be smart.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: jcbville on September 25, 2017, 02:32:09 pm
He puts guys in the NFL. But the Oline issues these last 2 seasons are a result of putting too much faith in KA. HE just isnt a good Oline coach on his own. He needed to cut him loose after last season but he stuck with him and its going to cost him.

CBB lets his assistants run their spots. Which can be good. But when theyre on different pages and there isnt a cohesive over riding plan it becomes a problem. Hes given them too much freedom and it will cost him now. KA is the worst hire hes made. He believed him when he said he could get it done the 2nd year and kept him.

Where is this OL coach? We could use him at Arkansas

longpig

Quote from: ShadowHawg on September 25, 2017, 02:39:16 pm
Sorry but Swanson was on draft boards from day one of CBB being hired.

YOU are the one claiming him as CBB guy. It was correctly pointed out that he isn't one.

Secondly, re original point is that there shouldn't be a problem no th oline in year 5 because he is a guru. Are you claiming there really isn't a problem because Ragnow will be drafted?

Ragnow does appear to be highly resistant to the Kurt Anderson effect, will probably take him down a round or two though.

LumberBacks

Quote from: jcbville on September 25, 2017, 02:32:09 pm

By my count, here's your OL next year, projected starters in bold with 247 recruiting grades.  A walk on and 2* starting over 4* Wallace and Merrick.  Player development?  That has to be on KA. Guess you could argue development in a 2* and walkon, but not 4*s.  I'm hoping for the next Burlsworth, but I don't see anyone on this lineup that will be in the league one day, and that means a long dry spell for that Bielema OL-NFL pipeline.  The 2019 lineup is likely going to be full of inexperience.   Think this year is bad?  CBB better get a OL coach who is worth their salt in development proto.

SR Hjalte Froholdt 0.9340
SR Zach Rogers 0.8863

SR Brian Wallace 0.9575
SR Johnny Gibson Jr. NR
JR Colton Jackson 0.8637
SR Deion Malone 0.8337
SR Jackson Hannah NR
JR Jalen Merrick 0.9057
JR Cooper Sone NR
SO Jack Henrich 0.8954
SO Ty Clary 0.7832
RF Dalton Wagner 0.8613
RF Kirby Adcock  0.8528
RF Shane Clenin 0.8518
RF Dylan Hayes 0.8204
RF Tyler Hall NR
RS Luke Jones 0.8665
RS Noah Gatlin 0.8488

longpig

Quote from: LumberBacks on September 25, 2017, 03:39:46 pm
By my count, here's your OL next year, projected starters in bold with 247 recruiting grades.  A walk on and 2* starting over 4* Wallace and Merrick.  Player development?  That has to be on KA. Guess you could argue development in a 2* and walkon, but not 4*s.  I'm hoping for the next Burlsworth, but I don't see anyone on this lineup that will be in the league one day, and that means a long dry spell for that Bielema OL-NFL pipeline.  The 2019 lineup is likely going to be full of inexperience.   Think this year is bad?  CBB better get a OL coach who is worth their salt in development proto.

SR Hjalte Froholdt 0.9340
SR Zach Rogers 0.8863

SR Brian Wallace 0.9575
SR Johnny Gibson Jr. NR
JR Colton Jackson 0.8637
SR Deion Malone 0.8337
SR Jackson Hannah NR
JR Jalen Merrick 0.9057
JR Cooper Sone NR
SO Jack Henrich 0.8954
SO Ty Clary 0.7832
RF Dalton Wagner 0.8613
RF Kirby Adcock  0.8528
RF Shane Clenin 0.8518
RF Dylan Hayes 0.8204
RF Tyler Hall NR
RS Luke Jones 0.8665
RS Noah Gatlin 0.8488

Nice work, but recruiting rankings go in the trash before they step on campus.

Tejano Jawg

Lanny, send Madison a Hogville welcome wagon basket.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

GoHogs1091

You can become a supposed OL "guru" when your OL is blocking the Defensive Lines of Indiana, Minnesota, Northwestern, Purdue, and Illinois.

In the SEC, there are no Indiana, Minnesota, Northwestern, Purdue, and Illinois Defensive Lines.

The idea that Bielema thought he was going to come into the SEC and run roughshod over SEC Defensive Lines with his supposed OL prowess is a laughable thought/idea by Bielema. 

Jim Harris

"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

hawgon

By the way, when handicapping the LSU game this year, remember that Matt Canada will want to break it off in Bert's hiney.  We'll get an effort and game plan from them this year all out of proportion to the actual importance of the game.

Arkansas Fan

Wisconsin was the place for O-line not due to Bielema, he just kept it going. Alvarez was really still in charge even over Bielema if you ask me.

IronHog

Quote from: sickboy on September 25, 2017, 12:54:37 pm
Again... this is a losing argument. I'm frustrated with the program and would like to move on from Bielema... but the guy does 100% develop o-line talent and get them drafted.

Since he's been at Arkansas he's sent Tretola, Kirkland, Skipper and Swanson. That's four lineman with NFL opportunities in three draft classes since he's been at Arkansas. Ragnow will go and make it five lineman in four classes. To NFL people -- that's really, really, productive. Most programs don't do that.

While he was at Wisconsin -- he had a stretch that was just ridiculous. He sent so many lineman to the NFL it wasn't funny.

Again, I get that we're not happy with the program -- but how our offensive line plays on Saturdays has nothing to do with the OPs original argument about Bielema not sending lineman to the NFL.

Swanson was all BP

Kirkland left early and went undrafted after a BAD combine showing.  Got on better shape and made a roster.  He's an example of what NOT to do....

Tretola made an NFL appearance I think before getting arrrsted

Skipper was a good lineman at Arkansas but probably won't have an NFL career

Out of the current players on the team Ragnow and Gibson have the most NFL potential.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Donny2665

Quote from: 311Hog on September 25, 2017, 11:31:54 am
definitely one of the biggest mysteries IMHO.  I mean Ragnow can't get any better but what about the rest?

Sure been alot of turnover in the OL coaches spot but still.  That is the one thing i did NOT think would be a big problem under CBB.

other than Pittman leaving, what other turnover is there?
This life's hard, but it's harder if you're stupid.~George V.Higgins

Ignorance is a voluntary misfortune!~Nicolas Ling

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.~Mark Twain

IronHog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on September 25, 2017, 04:28:02 pm
You can become a supposed OL "guru" when your OL is blocking the Defensive Lines of Indiana, Minnesota, Northwestern, Purdue, and Illinois.

In the SEC, there are no Indiana, Minnesota, Northwestern, Purdue, and Illinois Defensive Lines.

The idea that Bielema thought he was going to come into the SEC and run roughshod over SEC Defensive Lines with his supposed OL prowess is a laughable thought/idea by Bielema. 

This

Jamaal Anderson whipped BBs OL so bad Nutt should've apologized
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: IronHog on September 25, 2017, 05:13:19 pm

Swanson was all BP

Kirkland left early and went undrafted after a BAD combine showing.  Got on better shape and made a roster.  He's an example of what NOT to do....

Tretola made an NFL appearance I think before getting arrrsted

Skipper was a good lineman at Arkansas but probably won't have an NFL career

Out of the current players on the team Ragnow and Gibson have the most NFL potential.

Swanson still played a year under Bielema, so he still gets credit.