Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 Derby Trail

Started by ghostzapper, February 12, 2017, 08:00:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

userpick

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on March 11, 2017, 10:27:01 am
Very interesting.  Odd that they would skip a March prep race with One Liner if he is completely healthy..  Kinda raises a flag.  Don't know what it means, but a flag nonetheless.

Pletcher has kind of changed his program with derby preps the past couple of years. It was the same with Destin last year. He's not wanting as many preps with his horses, especially when they have really big performances. Pletcher is a big thoro-graph guy and believes in the bounce theory so the past two or three years he's wanted fresh horses not overraced. With his limited success in the derby, seems like he's trying anything.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Good stuff here from HRN on Mastery.  I just came across the article and the author sees the same form in Mastery that I have seen.

I hadn't checked Mastery's full pedigree until now, but to no surprise, his direct male to male lineage goes from dad Candy Ride> Ride The Rails> Cryptoclearance> Fappiano> and his great great great grandfather is indeed, Mr. Prospector.  It isn't coincidence why colts of direct male lineage from Mr. Prospector are the still the best race horses on the planet.  He and Northern Dancer are the super studs of the entire modern breed.

http://www.horseracingnation.com/blogs/pedigree_power/2017_Kentucky_Derby_Trail_Mastery_Pedigree_Profile_123

QuoteMost years, trainer Bob Baffert has a barn full of expensive two-year-olds. Some emerge as legitimate Kentucky Derby contenders. This year, one of the more intriguing Baffert prospects is the aptly named Mastery.

The lightly raced, yet undefeated Mastery has done everything asked of him in a deceptively easy manner. After wiring a field of seven maidens by 4 ¾ lengths in a sharp 1:09.56 for six furlongs, Mastery handled a group of four colts the same way in the Bob Hope Stakes (G3), clocking seven furlongs in 1:23.32 and winning by 1 ¼ lengths.

Mastery faced another short field of four rivals in the Los Alamitos Cash Call Futurity (Grade I). He displayed a slightly new dimension by pressing the pace in the early stages. In the Los Alamitos stretch, the leggy son of Candy Ride looked a fading Bobby Abu Dhabi and a struggling Irap in the eye and then shifted into another gear, capturing the 1 1/16 mile event in 1:41.56, 7 ¼ lengths clear of his nearest competitor. 

Jockey Mike Smith noted after the CashCall Futurity that Mastery is still learning. He commented post-race that the colt was looking around a little after he made the lead in the stretch and Smith had to give the colt a few taps to keep his mind on his business. 

Mastery (Candy Ride (ARG) - Steady Course, by Old Trieste) was bred in Kentucky by Arthur B. Hancock III's Stone Farm. Mastery attracted $425,000 at the Keeneland September Yearling sale. He runs in the green and yellow silks of Cheyenne Stables LLC. Mastery has a 3-3-0-0 record, $271,200 in earnings, and ten Kentucky Derby Qualifying Points.

Sire
Mastery sire Candy RideMastery is by the unbeaten Argentinian sensation Candy Ride (Ride the Rails - Candy Girl (ARG), by Candy Stripes). The stallion was brought to the U.S. by veteran trainer Ron McAnally after eye-catching performances in a pair of Group 1 races in Argentina.  Candy Ride raced only three times in the US but had racegoers buzzing with excitement. After defeating allowance company going 1 1/16 miles on dirt, Candy Ride switched to turf and captured the 1 1/8 mile American Handicap (G-2).  He faced a small but tough field in the Pacific Classic and proved up to the task, beating Medaglia D'Oro by 3 ¾ lengths and setting a new track record for 1 ¼ miles in 1:59.11.  McAnally wanted a fresh horse for the following year and kept Candy Ride out of the Breeders' Cup Classic.  While in training the following year, the stallion was injured and retired.

Many South American stallions haven't lived up to expectations at stud in the U.S., so Candy Ride set about proving his stud value the hard way.  Standing initially for $10,000, the stallion's fee gradually rose to $60,000 as his offspring showed their ability.   Candy Ride has been among the top five on the General Sire List by earnings for the last four years. 

Candy Ride's progeny have their sire's versatility and talent. His babies are tough, sound runners, who compile full careers. It isn't uncommon to see stakes quality Candy Ride progeny compete until they're five or six years old. Dirt, turf, synthetics, the Candy Rides run over every surface.

Candy Ride's offspring have a distance range of sprints to middle distances. This isn't surprising since opportunities to race classic distances over dirt in the U.S. are limited.

So far, only three of Candy Ride's progeny have proved capable at 1 ¼ miles or farther; Champion Shared Belief captured the Pacific Classic and Santa Anita Handicap; Misremembered won the Santa Anita Handicap, and Grand Tito won the 1 3/8 mile Mac Diarmida Stakes (G2) on turf.

Besides the aforementioned, Candy Ride's most accomplished runners include last year's Louisiana Derby hero Gun Runner, plus graded stakes veterans Kettlecorn, Clubhouse Ride, Evita Argentina, Sidney's Candy, Twirling Candy and Capt Candyman Can.

Mastery has similar breeding to the multiple graded stakes winner Chocolate Ride, who is out of a mare by Old Trieste. Chocolate Ride is a three-time stakes winner at 1 1/8 miles on the lawn.

Female Family
Mastery's distaff line is a product of Overbrook Farm's breeding program. This brilliant but fragile family has produced the champion sire and broodmare sire Miswaki, and the young stallion Jump Start.

Mastery's third dam Hopespringsforever (Mr. Prospector – Hopespringseternal, by Buckpasser) is a full-sister to the Group One winner Miswaki. The stallion is probably best known as the sire of Champion Urban Sea, dam of Europe's prolific sire Galileo and Champion Sea the Stars. Miswaki's son Black Tie Affair was Champion Older Horse and captured the 1991 Breeders' Cup Classic.

Hopespringsforever campaigned in England, placing once in five starts. A very productive broodmare, the daughter of Mr. Prospector bore eleven foals.  Four of them earned blacktype; Union City (Private Account) placed in the San Rafael (G2) and Santa Anita Derby (G1); Apollo Cat (Storm Cat) captured the Coleen Stakes as a two-year-old; her full brother Ozzie Cat, placed in the Golden Gate Derby (G3); and their full sister Steady Cat was multiple stakes placed.

Mastery's second dam Steady Cat (Storm Cat) flashed early brilliance when she finished second in the Adirondack Stakes (G2) in her third start. The Overbrook Farm home-bred competed as a sprinter. She placed in five other stakes during her 19 race career, including the Shirly Jones Handicap (G3).

Steady Cat's only blacktype earner was her first foal, the swift, but fragile Jump Start. The son of A.P. Indy raced only five times, winning the Saratoga Special (G2) and finishing second in the Champagne Stakes (G1). Sadly, Jump Start was injured in the 2001 Breeders' Cup Juvenile and had to be retired. Jump Start stands in Pennsylvania and shuttles to Argentina. His most accomplished offspring include Prayer for Relief, Pants on Fire and Rail Trip.

Steady Course mastery damMastery's dam Steady Course (Old Trieste - Steady Cat, by Storm Cat) won her maiden in her fifth start and followed up with an allowance victory. The promising Steady Course finished fourth in her seventh and final race, the Fairgrounds Oaks (G2). The Overbrook homebred retired with a 7-2-3-0 ($93,405) race record.

Steady Course has six foals of racing age. Only four have made it to the starting gate. The daughter of Old Trieste was off to a good start as a broodmare when her first foal, the Empire Maker filly Clear Sailing, captured the 1 1/16 mile Pelleteri Stakes at the Fairgrounds. She also placed second, beaten a neck, in the Matron Stakes at Evangeline, running a mile on turf. Clear Sailing retired with an excellent 8-4-2-1 ($128,940) record.

Clear Sailing's full brother Simon Kenton proves the fickle nature of the breeding game. The colt was born in 2011, and was 0-12 during his career, although he did hit the board four times.

Mastery is Steady Course's third foal to race.  The mare was barren in 2015 but has an unnamed First Samurai weanling colt.

Mastery horse pedigree profile

Damsire
Old Trieste Mastery damsireOld Trieste (A.P. Indy - Lovlier Linda, by Vigors) was a fixture on the California racing scene from 1997 – 1999. He was well-bred, by Belmont Stakes hero A.P. Indy out of the Grade One winner Lovlier Linda, who was successful from six to nine furlongs. 

Old Trieste showed signs of talent as a two-year-old when he placed in the Norfolk Stakes.  The beautiful Chestnut matured into a top California three-year-old and was untouchable, winning three straight graded stakes by a combined 21 ½ lengths and setting a then stakes record of 1:41.80 for 1 1/16 miles in the Affirmed Handicap.  Old Trieste captured four stakes races between a mile to 1 1/8 miles and retired with a 14-6-1-3 ($847,944) race record.

Old Trieste stood at Darley Stud's Jonabell Farm in Lexington. His stud career was cut short when the stallion died as an eight-year-old. From only three crops, Old Trieste sired 26 blacktype earners. His best offspring were multiple Grade One winning sprinter-miler Silver Train, Bluegrass Stakes hero Sinister Minister, and Breeders' Cup Juvenile runner-up Minister Eric. Old Trieste's stakes winning offspring won up to 1 3/16 miles.

Old Trieste's daughters have produced ten stakes winners. The majority are successful from a mile to 1 1/8 miles, but two have won stakes at 1 ¼ miles; Room Service (More Than Ready) captured the 2014 American Oaks over the lawn, and Belle Gallantey (After Market) won the 2014 Delaware Handicap on dirt.

Mastery's second damsire Storm Cat has been cropping up in some elite pedigrees as a damsire or second damsire. Besides Mastery, Storm Cat is the second damsire of Donn Handicap hero Mishawish, G1 winner Better Lucky, Pennsylvania Derby victor Morning Line, 2012 CashCall Futurity winner Violence, and Mastery's stablemate, Klimt.

Mastery may carry a dominant large heart (X-Factor) gene. His second through sixth sires, Storm Cat, Mr. Prospector, Buckpasser, and Princequillo, are noted large heart carriers and Mastery's second through fourth dams are "double copy" mares, meaning that they received the gene through both their sire and dam lines.

Expectations
Mastery has the pedigree, looks and skill to be a serious contender on the 2017 Kentucky Derby Trail. His pedigree and conformation indicate that Mastery should handle 1 1/8 miles and perhaps 1 ¼ miles. The colt has a high cruising speed and flashed another gear while pulling away in the CashCall Futurity. 

Mastery has a fluid gait with good extension and no wasted movement. He is still a bit green and wanted to pull up after he had put away his challengers in the stretch of the CashCall Futurity. Mike Smith gave the colt a few left-handed taps, and Mastery immediately responded.  At this point, racing seems to be all fun and games for Mastery, and he's just galloping along on raw talent.

Despite his pace-setting/pressing running style, Mastery doesn't appear to be a "need the lead" type, and perhaps he'll eventually learn to rate behind horses.

Mastery conformation photoMastery is a leggy colt and should fill out beautifully as he matures. He's well-balanced and athletic with the conformation of a route horse. Mastery has a clear throat latch area (helps with breathing) and a nicely angled shoulder. He appears to carry good bone in his legs. The colt's short back ties into nicely proportioned hindquarters. He has a beautiful head, intelligent eye, and yes, "curly" ears, which are a trait of horses who carry the large heart gene. 

CashCall Futurity victors evolve into legitimate Triple Crown contenders. Five of the last seven CashCall winners conditioned by Bob Baffert have won or placed in the Kentucky Derby, Preakness, and Belmont Stakes. Mastery may add his name to the roll call that includes "almost" Triple Crown champ Real Quiet, Preakness/Belmont Stakes hero Point Given, Preakness victor Lookin at Lucky, plus Kentucky Derby runner-ups Pioneerof The Nile and Dortmund.  Not bad company.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: userpick on March 11, 2017, 11:43:05 am
Pletcher has kind of changed his program with derby preps the past couple of years. It was the same with Destin last year. He's not wanting as many preps with his horses, especially when they have really big performances. Pletcher is a big thoro-graph guy and believes in the bounce theory so the past two or three years he's wanted fresh horses not overraced. With his limited success in the derby, seems like he's trying anything.

There's the flag.

I am much more on the side of completing the full routine as history shows it works best.  The road to the Kentucky Derby is aside from regular any other day horse racing.  The Kentucky Derby along with the Triple Crown series is an entity of it's own.  It is the true proving grounds of the best of the best in thoroughbred racing.  It isn't any different than March Madness in that regard.  It is the best competing against the best, head to head.  It isn't rigged, no one sags.  May the best horse win.  Everyone covets the prize.     

userpick

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on March 11, 2017, 12:33:32 pm
There's the flag.

I am much more on the side of completing the full routine as history shows it works best.  The road to the Kentucky Derby is aside from regular any other day horse racing.  The Kentucky Derby along with the Triple Crown series is an entity of it's own.  It is the true proving grounds of the best of the best in thoroughbred racing.  It isn't any different than March Madness in that regard.  It is the best competing against the best, head to head.  It isn't rigged, no one sags.  May the best horse win.  Everyone covets the prize.     

History actually shows that 2 preps works best. I'm not a total believer that it matters much but the past two winners of the derby only ran two preps.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: userpick on March 11, 2017, 01:20:53 pm
History actually shows that 2 preps works best. I'm not a total believer that it matters much but the past two winners of the derby only ran two preps.

True that.  I just like to see 5 races under a horse when he gets to Kentucky, their 2 y/o feats included.   

userpick

Very talented horse and hope he is okay. You're talking about red flags. Him being lightly raced is a red flag and perhaps we know why now. If you're a gambler, you have to love Baffert. If you're a humanitarian and someone who respects horses, you have to hate him. I wish it was Baffert that hurt his leg, instead of the horse.

userpick

and is now, officially out of the derby and probably much longer. This game is hard to take sometimes.

BigBrandonAllenFan

March 11, 2017, 05:27:41 pm #57 Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 05:40:34 pm by BigBrandonAllenFan
Quote from: userpick on March 11, 2017, 05:17:27 pm
and is now, officially out of the derby and probably much longer. This game is hard to take sometimes.

Dammit.  I hadn't heard until now the extent of the Mastery's injury.  That is a crying shame. 

He won the San Felipe with ease.  He had Kentucky Derby written all over his body.  The way he put Gormley and Iliad away was nothing short of dominating.

Looks like I'm on McCracken now if he bounces back well off his ankle injury.

userpick

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on March 11, 2017, 05:27:41 pm
Dammit.  I hadn't heard until now the extent of the Mastery's injury.  That is a shame. 

He won the San Felipe with ease.  He had Kentucky Derby written all over his body.  The way he put Gormley and Iliad away was nothing short of dominating.

Looks like I'm on McCracken now if he bounces back well off his ankle injury.

This is the year I'm finding a price in the derby. I can not remember a horse that had any issue in his 3YO year that went on to win the derby. Maybe McCracken is that good and can do it, but I don't like closers in the derby and especially one with issues. This could be Pletcher's year. He's got several nice horses and Baffert's best bullet is now out.

ghostzapper

Yeah, sorry to hear that about Mastery.  Impressive race.  Both 3 year old winners were impressive today. 

BigBrandonAllenFan

At this point, I think we can say 90% for sure the favorite for the Kentucky Derby comes out of the Blue Grass Stakes.... McCracken, Classic Empire, One Liner, and J Boys Echo.  Wow.

The winner of that bunch deserves favoritism now with the best in the west out..

If McCracken wins he is for sure your Kentucky Derby favorite.   

userpick

One Liner is #1 on my list for now, but very hesitantly.

ghostzapper

Tampa Bay Derby winner looked good and is improving each race

ghostzapper

But he wasnt close to Mastery's fig.  105 to 96.  That won't cut it.

BigBrandonAllenFan

I want to see how Royal Mo looks in the Rebel.  He should win but in what fashion is what matters.

userpick

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on March 12, 2017, 12:15:44 pm
I want to see how Royal Mo looks in the Rebel.  He should win but in what fashion is what matters.

Just my opinion, but I don't think Royal Mo will come close to American Anthem

BigBrandonAllenFan

March 12, 2017, 05:47:15 pm #66 Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 06:03:40 pm by BigBrandonAllenFan
Quote from: userpick on March 12, 2017, 01:09:14 pm
Just my opinion, but I don't think Royal Mo will come close to American Anthem

I'm not sure yet. Either Royal Mo was avoiding Mastery at Santa Anita or he was just cutting his own path. We will see. The Rebel will tell us if he is a contender. I would bet he beats American Anthem.

It is weird that one liner ship's out afer winning the southwest to face McCracken and Uncle Mo ships to the Rebel.

userpick

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on March 12, 2017, 05:47:15 pm
I'm not sure yet. Either Royal Mo was avoiding Mastery at Santa Anita or he was just cutting his own path. We will see. The Rebel will tell us if he is a contender. I would bet he beats American Anthem.

It is weird that one liner ship's out afer winning the southwest to face McCracken and Uncle Mo ships to the Rebel.

I hope you're right, because just as one poster here loves Ghostzapper, I love love love love some Uncle Mo

userpick

I did not know Malagacy was running in the rebel. That's my pick.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: userpick on March 12, 2017, 06:09:29 pm
I hope you're right, because just as one poster here loves Ghostzapper, I love love love love some Uncle Mo

The more I watch Uncle mo in the Run in the Robert Lewis Stakes at Santa Anita the more I like him.  He won that race with ease.  I was counting strides, and Royal Mo takes about 4 strides for the other horse's 5 strides.  He is a big colt.  He is steady and he runs visually effortlessly.  He got up coming out of the turn with a simple head nudge by the jockey and it was over at that point.  He also responded very well to the whip into the stretch, though a pure hand ride would have been sufficient.

I just don't think there is a horse at Oaklawn that is Royal Mo's caliber.  I'll be very surprised if he loses the Rebel Stakes.  I think he wins the Arkansas Derby too.  He has all the tools.

I'm not even sure who Malagacy is?  But I'll look him up.

Royal Mo>

cbhawg03

Royal Mo wasn't avoiding anybody other than trainer keeping his horses separated.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: cbhawg03 on March 13, 2017, 08:15:11 am
Royal Mo wasn't avoiding anybody other than trainer keeping his horses separated.
makes perfect sense. Thanks CB.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: cbhawg03 on March 13, 2017, 08:15:11 am

Your post got me to thinking why a trainer would choose a given track for a given horse. Then as I pondered along, I stumbled across the fact that this year's Rebel Stakes has been taken up to a 900 thousand dollar purse. Last Saturday's San Felipe, which Mastery won, was a mere 400 thousand purse in comparison.  Royal Mo wasn't avoiding anything as you said.  He was being shipped where the money is. 

Thanks again, CB.  It all makes perfect sense now. Royal Mo is my new Kentucky Derby pick now with the demise of Mastery.

userpick

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on March 13, 2017, 05:36:50 pm
Your post got me to thinking why a trainer would choose a given track for a given horse. Then as I pondered along, I stumbled across the fact that this year's Rebel Stakes has been taken up to a 900 thousand dollar purse. Last Saturday's San Felipe, which Mastery won, was a mere 400 thousand purse in comparison.  Royal Mo wasn't avoiding anything as you said.  He was being shipped where the money is. 

Thanks again, CB.  It all makes perfect sense now. Royal Mo is my new Kentucky Derby pick now with the demise of Mastery.

I think Royal Mo was sent here because his best horse(or he thought) was in California and oaklawn is another great option.

kingoftherapids

baffert and barnes like OP because it is so similar in configuration and surroundings to Churchill. the surface is as close to CD as you can get. i think in the last 10 years, 12 or 13 horses that have a prep at OP have collected a check in the kentucky derby.

cbhawg03

Only one had shipped in their best horse to run at OP and that was Baffert sending AP.  Usually the second stringers or worse come to OP.  Not sure if Royal Mo is second string to Gormley, owners didn't want to ship to OP compared to Royal amp owner not caring or what, just now trainer wanted them separated. 

Lookin at Lee or Silver Dust takes the Rebel for a local win.

kingoftherapids

userpick

It's gotta be the most competitive rebel since I have followed racing

cbhawg03

Quote from: kingoftherapids on March 13, 2017, 11:04:34 pm
Bodemesiter?

My bad, I forgot about him, but was that Baffert's best horse before he proved himself?  Everyone knew AP was Baffert's best was my point.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: userpick on March 13, 2017, 11:17:53 pm
900k is a lot of money. Is there another Kentucky Derby prep that is not a major Derby that pays as much as the Rebel?

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: kingoftherapids on March 13, 2017, 07:19:48 pm
baffert and barnes like OP because it is so similar in configuration and surroundings to Churchill. the surface is as close to CD as you can get. i think in the last 10 years, 12 or 13 horses that have a prep at OP have collected a check in the kentucky derby.

Which is good reason to not discount an Oaklawn prepper in the Kentucky Derby.

cbhawg03

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on March 11, 2017, 06:35:43 pm
At this point, I think we can say 90% for sure the favorite for the Kentucky Derby comes out of the Blue Grass Stakes.... McCracken, Classic Empire, One Liner, and J Boys Echo.  Wow.

The winner of that bunch deserves favoritism now with the best in the west out..

If McCracken wins he is for sure your Kentucky Derby favorite.   

Classic Empire coming to AR Derby if they need another week to get him ready.

jdelo77

Quote from: userpick on March 13, 2017, 11:17:53 pm

I just looked at the PPs ...WOW what a field ...the winner of the Kentucky derby could very well come from this race ! I like royal mo ...

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: cbhawg03 on March 14, 2017, 09:03:39 pm
Classic Empire coming to AR Derby if they need another week to get him ready.

I have never been a favorite of horses that ship to Oaklawn just for the Arkansas Derby.  Not having an out on the track is a big detriment as history shows.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: userpick on March 12, 2017, 08:42:02 pm
I did not know Malagacy was running in the rebel. That's my pick.

Excellent call, UP.    8)

The Hogfather

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on March 19, 2017, 09:00:02 am
Excellent call, UP.    8)

He looked awesome.  That was a deep field.

userpick

I wasn't crazy about that race. Seemed odd to me. I'm very excited to watch Always Dreaming run. He and Battalion Runner are Pletchers two best horses.

ghostzapper

userpick

Certainly wasn't pretty visually. I have yet to see a ragozin or thorograph number for the race. Malagacy will be an elite 1 turn horse. I think his class is the only reason he won the Rebel.

ghostzapper

The Triple Crown prep races are heading in wrong direction.  Mastery's was quite good but next best has been Roman's horse in NY.

userpick

Quote from: ghostzapper on March 22, 2017, 07:52:05 pm
The Triple Crown prep races are heading in wrong direction.  Mastery's was quite good but next best has been Roman's horse in NY.

And got a pretty dream set up. Most people don't like Florida preps for the Kentucky Derby but really think we will see a nice on there in the Fla Derby.

BigBrandonAllenFan

The most legit guaranteed to get a late kick horse appears to be McCracken.  He is going to come running at the end.  All he needs is an honest pace, which he should get in the Derby.

userpick

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on March 23, 2017, 02:05:19 pm
The most legit guaranteed to get a late kick horse appears to be McCracken.  He is going to come running at the end.  All he needs is an honest pace, which he should get in the Derby.

Only problem is they'll have the track so fast that he will have to be MUCH the best to overcome it. Who knows, maybe he will be. Him losing time though is a major concern for me.

cbhawg03

Malagacy definitely coming back for AR Derby along with either One Liner or Battalion Runner.  Pletcher sending Tapwrit to Blue Grass so One Liner may come back to OP. 

Jose Ortiz off that one turn horse named Petrov also.  Well more like Jose saying the horse ain't got it.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: userpick on March 09, 2017, 09:38:33 am

Well first of all, and i should've said this a long time ago...I'm not picking Classic Empire to win. He's pretty much off my list as of now. Just want to make that clear.

Next, to say that Baffert and the owners thought they'd have a derby horse when they bought Mastery is ridiculous imo. Do you know how many promising $450,000 horses Baffert has trained that either died as a 2 year old or just never made it to the races? Bob Baffert is the biggest cheater in racing.  He's killed more horses than anyone in training. There's no doubt about it though, he's the best dirt trainer ever. He couldn't train a dog to piss on the turf though. You said the odds are better he wins the derby than not...how? he's won 15% of the Kentucky Derby's he ever entered. A VERY impressive stat for sure, but he's lost 85% of the time. So the odds are not in his favor to win. And for what it's worth, Mastery is in my top 3 right now, so don't think I hate him lol.
You are quite right about Baffert and how his training regimen is tough. Although as far as ruining high dollar yearlings and two year olds in training, I think D. Wayne Lukas has a diminishing length and a half lead on Baffert.  Back in the late 80's and early 90's Lukas was given a blank check by the then owner of the San Diego Chargers, Eugene Klein. Those were the years when Lukas really dominated. But there's no telling how many high dollar yearlings (colts) wound up as pony horses when they reached 5. The fillies usually had such great breeding that even if they couldn't run a lick, the breeding shed was their final resting home. This was Big Red's finest filly and she moved beautifully...watch if you want to see a mover...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO5mSHDrOfo
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Iwastherein1969

J. Boys Echo....last worked on 3-25 in 1:02 4/5th's.....slow, but I watched the gallop out and when chirped at to run he took off again at the 7/8th's pole....Romans can get a horse ready to run this far and J. Boy's Echo may have decent odds with the perfect running style.....unless something has happened to him I'm not aware of, he'll be my pick unless he just totally gets out run in his next race which will be a G-1....I really don't see that much difference in G-1 and G-3 races for young 3 year olds...again, he's my pick unless he gets hurt or stinks it up in his next race
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

userpick

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on March 29, 2017, 08:19:47 am
You are quite right about Baffert and how his training regimen is tough. Although as far as ruining high dollar yearlings and two year olds in training, I think D. Wayne Lukas has a diminishing length and a half lead on Baffert.  Back in the late 80's and early 90's Lukas was given a blank check by the then owner of the San Diego Chargers, Eugene Klein. Those were the years when Lukas really dominated. But there's no telling how many high dollar yearlings (colts) wound up as pony horses when they reached 5. The fillies usually had such great breeding that even if they couldn't run a lick, the breeding shed was their final resting home. This was Big Red's finest filly and she moved beautifully...watch if you want to see a mover...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO5mSHDrOfo

Definitely can't argue with you there. DWL sucks. He also used to rob owners at sales by working with bloodstock agents, lying about the prices of horses at sales and split the difference with the agent. He's a crook in every way.

kingoftherapids

a lot of you older ones will remember this one, Landaluce. she was 5 for 5 before she died and went 1:08 with absolute ease below. and that was in her second start as a two year old. and yes she won by 21 lengths in a stake race

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVOEIBIA80Q

Russ22

The KD Futures Pool 4 runs this weekend. Do any of you guys wager on that? I think McCracken will be 6-to-1 in that pool. The Mutual Field will be 10-to-1.
For the latest Arkansas High School 7-on-7 football news:

http://7on7football.blogspot.com/

userpick

Quote from: Russ22 on March 29, 2017, 11:43:47 am
The KD Futures Pool 4 runs this weekend. Do any of you guys wager on that? I think McCracken will be 6-to-1 in that pool. The Mutual Field will be 10-to-1.

I got Always Dreaming at 50/1 a couple of weeks back. And I'm going to bet the hell out of him at anything better than 2-1 on Saturday. Also have a ticket on Battalion Runner at about the same odds.