Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This how you recruit (?)

Started by pigskenG, December 07, 2016, 07:25:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pigskenG

I read today that Tennessee got a commitment from Trey Smith, a 5* OT from Jackson,TN. #4 overall player, #3 OT.
Not a surprise, but what I also read was kind of interesting.
(1) He picked the Vols 48 hours after returning from an official visit to Knoxville with his family. He was the only recruit visiting Tennessee this past week end.
(2) Tennessee held a satellite camp this past summer at Smith's high school in Jackson TN, and several former Volunteer players were there that are current or former NFL players.
(3) Also this past summer, Tennessee hired Ashley Smith, Trey's sister, to work in the football program with the title of 'executive assistant to the head coach'.
Like I said, just interesting.

Hawg Life

Quote from: pigskenG on December 07, 2016, 07:25:53 pm
I read today that Tennessee got a commitment from Trey Smith, a 5* OT from Jackson,TN. #4 overall player, #3 OT.
Not a surprise, but what I also read was kind of interesting.
(1) He picked the Vols 48 hours after returning from an official visit to Knoxville with his family. He was the only recruit visiting Tennessee this past week end.
(2) Tennessee held a satellite camp this past summer at Smith's high school in Jackson TN, and several former Volunteer players were there that are current or former NFL players.
(3) Also this past summer, Tennessee hired Ashley Smith, Trey's sister, to work in the football program with the title of 'executive assistant to the head coach'.
Like I said, just interesting.

I hope his sister keeps her job after Butch is fired next year.

MissippHog

Yep.  Seems to work for several schools. 
Sean Patterson, Shea Patterson's older brother, was part of Arizona's staff.  Shea was committed there at the time.  Sean then took a job at LSU, where many felt Shea would end up.  However, Shea ended up going to Ole Miss and wouldn't you know, Ole Miss just happened to have an opening for his brother as well.

Music City Hog

BigSexyHog

His sister will be very popular with the other guys on the team.   
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

Oklahawg

Danny Manning's Dad got a job at Kansas back in the 80s. He uprooted his family from their North Carolina home and relocated with Danny playing for the Jayhawks.

Been going on a long time.

Ask Mike Anderson about Marcus Monk if you don't care if you get punched.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

TomasPistola

It's like hiring a popular offensive coordinator in order to get a popular and talented group of players to commit to a school. We'd never do that.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

IronMountainHog

Milt Wagner gets hired by Memphis High in 2000 as director of basketball operations, by Crapalari. His #1 ranked recruit son DaJuan joins him shortly thereafter in Memphis. Hmmmm?

jjdlc

Only thing surprising in the OP is that TN had to expend that much effort to land a kid from TN.  Butch starting to find things a bit tougher over there?

Oklahawg

Quote from: jjdlc on December 07, 2016, 10:02:43 pm
Only thing surprising in the OP is that TN had to expend that much effort to land a kid from TN.  Butch starting to find things a bit tougher over there?

There was a nice thread on HV last fall where a little known DE blew this kid up early in the season. Play after play. Smith might be the OL gem of the class...or not.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

RebelW

They get these big time star guys but then what do they do with them?? Look at their record and their lack of intensity and toughness during games.. We are doing more with less.

sickboy

Quote from: RebelW on December 07, 2016, 10:49:43 pm
They get these big time star guys but then what do they do with them?? Look at their record and their lack of intensity and toughness during games.. We are doing more with less.

Butch Jones can recruit all he wants, he just seems snake bit at Tennessee. I don't think it's him as much as bad mojo with that program. I think they got the voodoo hex when they fired Phil Fulmer. You have to be careful when you fire legendary coaches who built or took programs to new heights. Our basketball program has had the same hex for the last 15 years. Bad mojo, man. You don't wanna incur the wrath of the sports gods.

LSUFan

You guys think Leonard Foaurnette is bad ass, and Guice, just wait til his baby brother, Laynard Founette steps up - He's already on the roster and padded up. He defines badass.

#keepcoachburp
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

ImHogginIt

He avoided RAZ Fan's son in their game earlier this year. Let Butch have the fraidy cat

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=615674.0

cpohog

Quote from: TomasPistola on December 07, 2016, 08:58:19 pm
It's like hiring a popular offensive coordinator in order to get a popular and talented group of players to commit to a school. We'd never do that.

Arkansas and Houston Dale would never do that UNLESS forced to do so. Especially when a couple of those in that talented group were committed to FLORIDA!! What a fiasco that turned into.....Houston Dale's 3 ring circus. One of the ring leaders may have been a guy named MALZAHN!?!?!? If my memory serves me correctly....

But you guys are correct, ARKANSAS WOULD NEVER HIRE ANYONE TO GET A RECRUIT or 4 or 5!!! :)

bulldog04

Why didn't we hire Hargreaves sooner?

holeinthewall

Tenn is a dumpster fire.  Had what 5 decommits in the last week. 

ricepig

Quote from: holeinthewall on December 08, 2016, 07:01:49 am

Butch was clearing Cap room for Smith, nothing to see here.

Redhogs

Quote from: RebelW on December 07, 2016, 10:49:43 pm
Did you watch our games this year? We are doing less with less. Fixed that for ya.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

RazorPiggie

swinesation

Quote from: jjdlc on December 07, 2016, 10:02:43 pm

It's the other side of the state, and it's a long state. I grew up there, and it's not VOL country. Ole Miss is half the distance. Miss St and even Bama are closer to Jackson than Knoxville is.

jm

Quote from: Music City Hog on December 07, 2016, 08:52:49 pm
Wish we did that
[/quote

wish we had one of the best offensive tackles in state. It would make it alot easier.

GoHogzzGo

That whole hired his sister thing is so shady. How is that stuff allowed?

We have seen this so many times with a family member magically getting a job at the university for high profile recruits.

Small potatoes, but with how restrictive the NCAA can be it just surprises me.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

pigskenG

Quote from: holeinthewall on December 08, 2016, 07:01:49 am

I'll bet the five decommits were all 3* or less. Not the first time since Jones has been there. They throw out scholarship offers like junk mail advertisements then pull them back towards signing day.

Richard Davenport

Bumper Pool's sister works in Arkansas' recruiting office.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Richard Davenport on December 08, 2016, 12:32:20 pm

So we are doing it. YESSSSS!

But his entire family has gone to the UofA.

GoHogzzGo

So... how do I delete my previous comment? Haha good to know.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

Richard Davenport

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on December 08, 2016, 02:13:27 pm
So... how do I delete my previous comment? Haha good to know.

It's my understanding Maddie made contact with the recruiting office. She's a big football fan so it only made since.

ricepig

Quote from: Richard Davenport on December 08, 2016, 03:20:59 pm

It's my understanding Maddie made contact with the recruiting office. She's a big football fan so it only made since.

So, you're saying Solomon Thomas's sister should have made contact, lol........

Jim Harris

Yeah, but you know he was going to be a Razorback from back since forever.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

hogsfan31

Dunbar is a school Id def like to recruiting ties to.

MissippHog

Oh wai.....abort thread!  Abort thread!  ;)