Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas Recruiting Rankings

Started by parallaxpig, December 03, 2016, 11:53:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

parallaxpig

For those who still wander why Arkansas struggles to get a top 20 class, last nights 7A champ game would have help educate you. Best two teams in state, one representing central Arkansas and I believe there were two D-1 committed athletes on the field. And neither going to Arkansas.......
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

grayhawg

Quote from: parallaxpig on December 03, 2016, 11:53:17 am
For those who still wander why Arkansas struggles to get a top 20 class, last nights 7A champ game would have help educate you. Best two teams in state, one representing central Arkansas and I believe there were two D-1 committed athletes on the field. And neither going to Arkansas.......
Okay now tell us why?

Oklahawg

Let's make sure the entire story is being told. If Fayetteville is involved, Byers is committed out-of-state but won't be eligible for D1 play next year. So it is not just that there are only two - it is that one of them is academically not helping himself. Makes it that much worse.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

King Kong

Deep Shoat

All Gas, No Brakes!

Razorbax

Is it a fact now he will not have the grades and/or score?
Quote from: Oklahawg on December 03, 2016, 01:01:23 pm
Let's make sure the entire story is being told. If Fayetteville is involved, Byers is committed out-of-state but won't be eligible for D1 play next year. So it is not just that there are only two - it is that one of them is academically not helping himself. Makes it that much worse.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Surfing8 on December 03, 2016, 02:16:06 pm
This is a dumbass, idiotic post.
Are you stupid?  Demographics is the primary reason we struggle in recruiting.  Both a small AA population (around 18%) and the lily white demographics of the metro area surrounding our campus.

Try to not be a politically correct reactionary.  Truth is truth.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Razorbax on December 03, 2016, 02:12:38 pm
Is it a fact now he will not have the grades and/or score?
It's been a fact since we decided to not pursue him.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Razorbax

So for most of his senior season? News to me......Outside chance, but definitely no chance has been the news out of Fayetteville.
Quote from: Deep Shoat on December 03, 2016, 02:20:22 pm
It's been a fact since we decided to not pursue him.

acey33

Quote from: Surfing8 on December 03, 2016, 02:50:39 pm
Look at the AA % for states like TX, OK, TN, CA, OH and others.  Plenty of states with high level football and an AA % similar to AR.

Take your stupid and shove it in your deep shoat, dumbass.

+1

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Razorbax on December 03, 2016, 03:15:39 pm
So for most of his senior season? News to me......Outside chance, but definitely no chance has been the news out of Fayetteville.

And now rumors are that Brown's academic status is questionable.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Hollywood870

What did you all think about the RB Day? Just a soph. Thought he had some tough runs.

Piggfoot

Look at the AA % for states like TX, OK, TN, CA, OH and others.  Plenty of states with high level football and an AA % similar to AR.

none of the states you mentioned are similar to Arksnsas except maybe Oklahoma. When you consider percentage you must consider total population.
I'm watching the SEC Championship and at any one time there may be 5 Caucasians on the field. It is what it is in big time football.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

sickboy

Quote from: Deep Shoat on December 03, 2016, 02:19:49 pm
Are you stupid?  Demographics is the primary reason we struggle in recruiting.  Both a small AA population (around 18%) and the lily white demographics of the metro area surrounding our campus.

Try to not be a politically correct reactionary.  Truth is truth.

I don't know if the demographics of Fayetteville have as much to do with the problem as the the city's location. It's remote when it come to recruiting. The big players in recruiting are all much closer to recruiting hotbeds.

Arkansas recruiting is 100% dependent on Texas high school football. And one of our biggest issues, at the moment, is that for the first time since I can remember Texas has FIVE schools that are now recruiting very well: Texas, Houston, TCU, Baylor and Texas A&M. For Arkansas to be successful in recruiting at a better clip... we simply can't have schools like TCU, Baylor and Houston doing well nationally. It makes it that much harder for us to convince a kid to leave home. Which is already hard enough.

What we should be cheering for is for Houston to screw up their higher majorly and regress... for Gary Patterson to retire and for Baylor's situation to be near or close to the Death Penalty. If those schools slide... Arkansas recruiting will get better.

Piggfoot

Quote from: sickboy on December 03, 2016, 06:01:27 pm
I don't know if the demographics of Fayetteville have as much to do with the problem as the the city's location. It's remote when it come to recruiting. The big players in recruiting are all much closer to recruiting hotbeds.

Arkansas recruiting is 100% dependent on Texas high school football. And one of our biggest issues, at the moment, is that for the first time since I can remember Texas has FIVE schools that are now recruiting very well: Texas, Houston, TCU, Baylor and Texas A&M. For Arkansas to be successful in recruiting at a better clip... we simply can't have schools like TCU, Baylor and Houston doing well nationally. It makes it that much harder for us to convince a kid to leave home. Which is already hard enough.

What we should be cheering for is for Houston to screw up their higher majorly and regress... for Gary Patterson to retire and for Baylor's situation to be near or close to the Death Penalty. If those schools slide... Arkansas recruiting will get better.
I have lobbied often for us to develop home and home series with TCU or SMU and Houston or Rice. We have to establish a presence in Texas. As a matter of fact I wish those four teams were our OOC opponents. We've got to get away from playing Patsies who occasionally bite our rear. The only reason we play those teams is to have more home games.

jdevers

Arkansas has three problems: small population, demographics of this half of the state and utter failure of the education system in the other half, and distance from areas with more recruits than schools.

Name a school that recruits well that also has those problems.  OU has the first one, less so the second one, but great proximity to DFW and the make up of their teams over time show that.  They do little more than cherry pick their instate guys and recruit Texas heavily.

Most SEC schools only have the first one to deal with and some don't even have that problem.

Hoggish1

D-1 has a lot of commit possibilities.  There are over one hundred schools fitting that bill, which means more than 2,500 scholarship offers possible. 

What are you trying to say?  Whatever it is you need to make a better case for it...

parallaxpig

Quote from: Hoggish1 on December 03, 2016, 07:43:03 pm
D-1 has a lot of commit possibilities.  There are over one hundred schools fitting that bill, which means more than 2,500 scholarship offers possible. 

What are you trying to say?  Whatever it is you need to make a better case for it...

If you new what the word committed meant then it would be self evident.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

parallaxpig

Quote from: parallaxpig on December 03, 2016, 08:20:08 pm
If you new what the word committed meant then it would be self evident.

And if I knew the difference between new and knew it would help. 

ricepig

We took a QB from Alabama with more SEC offers, and the DT won't be eligible, so what's your point?

parallaxpig

Quote from: ricepig on December 03, 2016, 08:24:09 pm
We took a QB from Alabama with more SEC offers, and the DT won't be eligible, so what's your point?

Small recruiting base in state.

ricepig

Quote from: parallaxpig on December 03, 2016, 08:40:38 pm
Small recruiting base in state.

Ok, did you think that was a new thought?

parallaxpig

Quote from: ricepig on December 03, 2016, 08:48:15 pm
Ok, did you think that was a new thought?

Evidently so....every recruiting thread on here have posters that don't understand that fact.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: sickboy on December 03, 2016, 06:01:27 pm

We don't get the majority of our players from Texas, and haven't in a long time. We have had only 14 players from the state of Texas since 2013 to commit to Arkansas. 

Piggfoot

Quote from: Surfing8 on December 03, 2016, 08:27:11 pm
The Arkansas public education system is far and away the biggest problem.  There are plenty of gifted athletes walking the halls of high schools all over the state... mainly from Little Rock south. 

It's a travesty for more than just athletics, and it's the narrow-minded, feeble lack of vision and leadership from the top down as the cause. 
Yes the educational system is to blame partially but a large majority of the kids who may progress to become good athletes have little to no parental support or supervision. I don't have the answer to this problem. Perhaps the money people could set up a free study program and hire tutors to help some kid. Of course the coaches would have to be involved.

Razorbax

December 03, 2016, 10:56:39 pm #25 Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 11:24:17 pm by Razorbax
Big problem....Not only one of our highest rated recruits, but also a recruit in a position of need.
Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 03, 2016, 03:27:56 pm
And now rumors are that Brown's academic status is questionable.

Piggfoot

Quote from: Surfing8 on December 03, 2016, 08:27:11 pm
The Arkansas public education system is far and away the biggest problem.  There are plenty of gifted athletes walking the halls of high schools all over the state... mainly from Little Rock south. 

It's a travesty for more than just athletics, and it's the narrow-minded, feeble lack of vision and leadership from the top down as the cause. 
Yes the educational system is to blame partially but a large majority of the kids who may progress to become good athletes have little to no parental support or supervision. I don't have the answer to this problem. Perhaps the money people could set up a free study program and hire tutors to help some kid. Of course the coaches would have to be involved.

Deep Shoat

You really are stupid, ain'tcha?

The ONLY state you listed that is remotely like Arkansas is Oklahoma.  Sure, Texas, Cali, Ohio, and Tennessee have similar or lower percentages.  But they also have MILLIONS of AA people.  Arkansas and Oklahoma have under half a million.

If you think our black population isn't a huge part of our recruiting difficulties, you are incredibly and willfully stupid.
All Gas, No Brakes!

sickboy

Quote from: Hawghiggs on December 03, 2016, 10:45:56 pm
We don't get the majority of our players from Texas, and haven't in a long time. We have had only 14 players from the state of Texas since 2013 to commit to Arkansas. 

We have 25 guys from Texas on our roster this year. That's the most from any other state outside of Arkansas. Florida is second. Louisiana is third.

ricepig

Quote from: sickboy on December 04, 2016, 01:08:42 am
We have 25 guys from Texas on our roster this year. That's the most from any other state outside of Arkansas. Florida is second. Louisiana is third.

How many are scholarship vs walkons?

parallaxpig

Quote from: sickboy on December 04, 2016, 01:08:42 am

Since UA student population is around  20% from state of Texas, plus alumni base already there, we could exploit that advantage........