Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why are we recruiting 5 possibly 6 receivers?

Started by luke hawg, November 26, 2016, 12:49:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

luke hawg

November 26, 2016, 12:49:44 pm Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 02:11:12 pm by luke hawg
Cornelius, Pettway, Jones, Boateng, McClure, Enlow, Stewart, Barkley, Jackson, Nance. I really hope Barnes and Warren end up on the defensive side of the ball. We need serious depth at corner. We rarely go 4 wide and are loaded with pass catching tight ends. Receiver is the least important spot on the field for us.

ricepig

I seem to remember a year where we lost three WR's in the first three games......

HOGINTENNESSEE

Have you seen our offense? WR is a huge part of it. We have 3 WR with over 500 yards receiving and rotate 6 consistently.

You listed 9 WR but only one that has actually done anything at the Major college level. Not every WR works out.

razorbackfanatic

And u left off Deon Stewart, he may be our #2 receiver next season.

greenie

It will be interesting to see, outside of JRed, who steps up at WR next year.

jjdlc

It will, there is a lot of highly rated talent at that position though.  I expect one or 2 can make an impact.

ChicoHog

Quote from: razorbackfanatic on November 26, 2016, 01:33:35 pm
And u left off Deon Stewart, he may be our #2 receiver next season.
That guy is fast but he looks so skinny and frail on the KO return team.  I always feel like someone will break him in half.  Hope he gets a little thicker.  Why isn't Reed returning kicks?  Fumble issues? 

havok

Having 15 Receivers on Scholarship won't help much when our QB has less than 1 second to get a pass off before being planted by 3 or 4 Defensive players, on most passing downs.

Signing 2 or 3 O-linemen a year isn't a good plan since this year shown we were less than stellar with O-line depth...and we will probably be in the same boat next year if Ragnow goes pro early.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: luke hawg on November 26, 2016, 12:49:44 pm
Cornelius, Pettway, Jones, Boateng, McClure, Enlow, Stewart, Barkley, Jackson, Nance. I really hope Barnes and Warren end up on the defensive side of the ball. We need serious depth at corner. We rarely go 4 wide and are loaded with pass catching tight ends. Receiver is the least important spot on the field for us.
I expect a couple will go to DB.

tophawg19

they say if this current group comes in plus the 1 more they feel is likely , we will have 20 0-line guys . not sure how many are walk ons but clearly the count too.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

moses_007

We better be recruiting receivers.  We lose every receiver on our team to graduation this year except for Cornelius.

If we don't get some great ones that can come right in and make an immediate impact, next year's passing game will suck.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: moses_007 on November 27, 2016, 01:32:12 am
We better be recruiting receivers.  We lose every receiver on our team to graduation this year except for Cornelius.

If we don't get some great ones that can come right in and make an immediate impact, next year's passing game will suck.

We really need that Martin Kid who has 3 to play 3 from Juco

ricepig

We have about 3/4 on the roster that were/are waiting their turn on the sidelines. It doesn't depend on this class alone.

pfrg999

Quote from: ricepig on November 27, 2016, 08:19:03 am
We have about 3/4 on the roster that were/are waiting their turn on the sidelines. It doesn't depend on this class alone.
The best play, so 3/4 who are waiting are not as good as the 1/4 who played... Name who will be better than who they are replacing...
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

ricepig

Quote from: pfrg999 on November 27, 2016, 12:34:28 pm
The best play, so 3/4 who are waiting are not as good as the 1/4 who played... Name who will be better than who they are replacing...

Did I say they were better? And Smith and Bielema have raved about Jones and others. I said we aren't counting on this recruiting class alone, reading comprehension.

Bubba's Bruisers

Call me naive, but getting the OL fixed is most important.  That position will determine more than any other the performance of the passing game.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Bubba's Bruisers

Maybe one of the newbies will actually be more than a possession receiver.  We finally got that in Reed, but it was rare.  Morgan will be missed the most, no doubt, but talent wise as a whole, I doubt there with be a drop off.  Just need playing time.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

whosiskid

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on November 27, 2016, 07:20:17 am

Has he taken Algebra? I'm half serious. With the rumors about Patton I'm having that "Please, not again" feeling. But yeah, the Martin kid would be ideal.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

onebadrubi

Keep in mind Holister could possibly get a medical red shirt. 

Oklahawg

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 27, 2016, 01:55:41 pm
Maybe one of the newbies will actually be more than a possession receiver.  We finally got that in Reed, but it was rare.  Morgan will be missed the most, no doubt, but talent wise as a whole, I doubt there with be a drop off.  Just need playing time.

Hatcher will be missed the most. He was the best blocker and had the best hands. Morgan will be missed because he has been AA's #1 target much of the year. What UA has always struggled to recruit is the WR who can be physical. Hatcher is that WR. Hollister was, too, but was behind the three other seniors + Cornelius for reps.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

NotSoFastMyFriend

I imagine top 4 will be Cornelius, Stewart, Jones and Pettway with McClure also getting some looks. There is a drop off in experience but an upgrade in athleticism.

Oklahawg

Quote from: NotSoFastMyFriend on November 27, 2016, 08:25:29 pm
I imagine top 4 will be Cornelius, Stewart, Jones and Pettway with McClure also getting some looks. There is a drop off in experience but an upgrade in athleticism.

Sounds about right. I know they loved Boateng before his injury. With the route discipline being instilled by Coach Smith I think we'll be ok.

And, I concur with the notion that you bring kids in with "athlete" next to them and sort them out once here. We may need a playmaker on offense, and others may see a shorter route to the field on defense and move there quickly.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

presidenthog

Quote from: whosiskid on November 27, 2016, 02:45:43 pm
Has he taken Algebra? I'm half serious. With the rumors about Patton I'm having that "Please, not again" feeling. But yeah, the Martin kid would be ideal.

Shortest Whoiskid post of all time.

jjdlc

Why do people keep saying this?  The statement is simply false.  We lose 3 of 4 receivers with the most experience on the team, but we have many more behind them, several of which were highly rated/recruited.

This is completely illogical.  None of us, except the coaches know how good or bad any of those waiting in the wings are.  When you have a receiving corps as solid as what we have, you DON'T go replacing experienced receivers with rookies, it just doesn't happen.  Just because the guys we have waiting haven't played much yet doesn't mean they aren't any good, it just means they were behind other guys who were also good, but who were also more experienced.

WriterWrong

Burns that we missed out on  Cleveland last year. Man, we could've used him. Also burns we got burned on Reed. That didn't pan out. Fast does not equal good.

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 27, 2016, 04:48:29 pm
Keep in mind Holister could possibly get a medical red shirt.
I hadn't heard this before. His profile says he played in five games last year. I thought 4 was the magic number.

CallThoseHawgs

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on November 27, 2016, 07:20:17 am
Haven't really been able to follow recruiting this year but does anyone know where we stand with him? He would certainly be able to help next year.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: havok on November 26, 2016, 06:45:58 pm
Having 15 Receivers on Scholarship won't help much when our QB has less than 1 second to get a pass off before being planted by 3 or 4 Defensive players, on most passing downs.

Signing 2 or 3 O-linemen a year isn't a good plan since this year shown we were less than stellar with O-line depth...and we will probably be in the same boat next year if Ragnow goes pro early.

I can only guess we are signing 5 WRs because some are not panning out.  But I agree with you we need to sign more OLM. I think we are after a JUCO or maybe a transfer.

King Kong

Quote from: WriterWrong on November 28, 2016, 12:38:58 pm
Burns that we missed out on  Cleveland last year. Man, we could've used him. Also burns we got burned on Reed. That didn't pan out. Fast does not equal good.

Reed worked out well last year. 500+ yards receiving and score a TD in like 7 straight games

ricepig

Quote from: CallThoseHawgs on November 28, 2016, 09:25:46 pm
Haven't really been able to follow recruiting this year but does anyone know where we stand with him? He would certainly be able to help next year.

My personal opinion, long shot.

WriterWrong

Quote from: King Kong on November 29, 2016, 08:51:32 am
Reed worked out well last year. 500+ yards receiving and score a TD in like 7 straight games

The question many will ask is his 2-year production more than what a 4-year player would have given us? Reed broke out down the stretch last season and everyone expected big things this year. He spent most of it in the doghouse for whatever reasons. He didn't work out like we had all hoped. Still have a game left to help us win though. We could use him in the bowl game, for sure.

hawgdavis

I don't think Reed could shake that shot that he took late last year. He was becoming a special player. Some guys just can't overcome injuries like that.
I truly believe that messed him up.

kp72204

Quote from: ChicoHog on November 26, 2016, 06:22:00 pm
That guy is fast but he looks so skinny and frail on the KO return team.  I always feel like someone will break him in half.  Hope he gets a little thicker.  Why isn't Reed returning kicks?  Fumble issues?
Wrong!! Why isn't Hammonds returning kicks?

Oklahawg

Quote from: hawgdavis on November 29, 2016, 07:28:45 pm
I don't think Reed could shake that shot that he took late last year. He was becoming a special player. Some guys just can't overcome injuries like that.
I truly believe that messed him up.

I think this is a big part of it.

Pork Twain

November 30, 2016, 06:45:15 am #34 Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 07:05:39 am by Pork Twain
Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 27, 2016, 01:53:25 pm
Call me naive, but getting the OL fixed is most important.  That position will determine more than any other the performance of the passing game.
You're naïve and steps have been taken to fix the OL.  ;)

Seriously though, just look at the youth that is our second team.  I think that next year we will finally start to see our walk-on/red-shirt programs really begin to pay off.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Oklahawg

Quote from: kp72204 on November 29, 2016, 08:31:14 pm
Wrong!! Why isn't Hammonds returning kicks?

Ball security, for one. (Yes, I know that Stewart had a fumble earlier in the year). Hammonds time at RB has been limited due to ball security concerns (in part).

Pork Twain

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 30, 2016, 06:50:55 am
Ball security, for one. (Yes, I know that Stewart had a fumble earlier in the year). Hammonds time at RB has been limited due to ball security concerns (in part).
Just because he swings the ball around like it is a toy while he is running, is no reason to question his ball security.

;)
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Pork Twain

Quote from: luke hawg on November 26, 2016, 12:49:44 pm
I am not really sure if you are even watching this team play.  WR is a big part of our offense and it is never a good idea to be one-deep at any position.  If we want to go three-wide, we need at least 6-9 quality WR on our roster.