With the addition of:
De'jon Harris 2016
Alexy Jean-Baptiste 2016
Giovani LaFrance 2016
Dee Walker 2016

Derek Munson 2017
Josh Paul 2017

Bumper Pool 2018

Glad to see us make some headway at this position, desperately needed in the SEC

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Nosboar Accubond on November 07, 2016, 09:30:03 pm
With the addition of:
De'jon Harris 2016
Alexy Jean-Baptiste 2016
Giovani LaFrance 2016
Dee Walker 2016

Derek Munson 2017
Josh Paul 2017

Bumper Pool 2018

Glad to see us make some headway at this position, desperately needed in the SEC

LaFrance and Harris may be too slow to play LB against spread teams.  I am not sure about the other two we signed last year.  They look more athltetic on video.  Maybe we can find other positions for those who can't play in space.  Seems like 2017 strategy is to sign LBs with more speed.

PorkSoda

Yeah, we are obviously hurting from a lack of speed on defense in general.  hopefully we can get a few speed guys in the next couple classes.  Petrino would always put his fastest guys on offense, but we need speed on defense too.  would love to get another Michael Grant at free safety.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

King Kong

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on November 15, 2016, 11:01:15 am
LaFrance and Harris may be too slow to play LB against spread teams.  I am not sure about the other two we signed last year.  They look more athltetic on video.  Maybe we can find other positions for those who can't play in space.  Seems like 2017 strategy is to sign LBs with more speed.

Harris is very fast. I guessed you missed the Bama game where he ran down the WR and forced a fumble?

The_Iceman

I think we are going to have to reevaluate how we develop our linebackers. May need to build lean, quicker muscle over bulk.

Kevin

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 15, 2016, 01:18:49 pm
I think we are going to have to reevaluate how we develop our linebackers. May need to build lean, quicker muscle over bulk.

that is what saban has done.

basically safeties playing linebacker
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Richard Davenport

Quote from: Kevin on November 15, 2016, 03:02:38 pm

Their roster shows most of the LBs being 230 and above.

http://www.rolltide.com/roster.aspx?path=football

sickboy

onebadrubi

Quote from: Kevin on November 15, 2016, 03:02:38 pm

No he hasn't. He's getting the elite that have size and speed his lb'ers are bigger than Ellis and Ramsey and faster than most of our D. 

nwahogfan1

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 15, 2016, 08:28:34 pm
No he hasn't. He's getting the elite that have size and speed his lb'ers are bigger than Ellis and Ramsey and faster than most of our D.
Exactly and we normally cannot sign these kids.  So we need to go smaller band faster over bigger and slower.

onebadrubi

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on November 15, 2016, 11:20:00 pm
Exactly and we normally cannot sign these kids.  So we need to go smaller band faster over bigger and slower.

We've done this before just the previous coaching staff. This entire board was here preaching for bigger line backers. Our line backers were getting trucked every run, the runners falling forward and always getting an extra 2-3 yards after runs. Now we've got size.  My personal belief is the scheme these guys are put in. 

Oklahawg

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 16, 2016, 07:29:36 am
We've done this before just the previous coaching staff. This entire board was here preaching for bigger line backers. Our line backers were getting trucked every run, the runners falling forward and always getting an extra 2-3 yards after runs. Now we've got size.  My personal belief is the scheme these guys are put in. 

Another option - the other levels of the defense are not able to do their part and the LBs wind up looking bad.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 16, 2016, 07:29:36 am

Perfect world--big and fast.  Imperfect world--pick 'em.  With the number of spread offenses now, faster is better. And, remember, people have been growing safeties into LBs for decades. As long, as you keep the speed, all is good. But you have to keep the speed.

EFBAB

onebadrubi

Quote from: exit followed by a boar on November 16, 2016, 09:55:16 am
Perfect world--big and fast.  Imperfect world--pick 'em.  With the number of spread offenses now, faster is better. And, remember, people have been growing safeties into LBs for decades. As long, as you keep the speed, all is good. But you have to keep the speed.

EFBAB

True, yet there is a compromise.  For instances, play sound gap control Defense.  When a RB gets throw a hole the Lb'ers are there to pick him up and I want to see Lb'ers that can stop a RB in his tracks, while I loved Jerry Franklin, he was not able to do so, but he could usually get to them.  To really lump all three LB'ing positions into one is actually not possible.  So to look further into this we have to separate them out. We can all argue but in the end really mean the same thing.

Think back to when Ellis was trying to cover guys over the middle, dude was getting toasted.  We moved him in the middle where he can match up with a RB and we put Greenlaw out to cover Te's and such.  Sure Greenlaw got beat some last year but he was a true Freshman.  This year before his injury he was covering much better.  Lets look at the auburn game where Ellis was biting on ball fakes and couldn't recover, he wasn't going to recover in time if he had DMAC speed, all he was going to do was run them down.  If we put a smaller faster guy in his position, He can have sound gap control, win his gap spot and still get trucked for 6+ yards. 

I just posted on the same topic in MMQB in the type of defense thread.  I think a lot of what people want to see out of our LB'ers is actually getting some blame of the Dline.  They could not hold outside contain, were getting mauled in the trenches, etc.  You can't expect 2 LB'ers (one being a true MLB) to cover all 6 gaps in a line, I mention only 2 because we are often playing with a 5th DB these days. 

SemperFi

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 16, 2016, 09:52:10 am
Another option - the other levels of the defense are not able to do their part and the LBs wind up looking bad.

Very true statement. Just watch how our DL was getting blown off the ball against LSU. With the Secondary struggling to get off blocks and providing run support the LB's are being asked to take up way too much slack and because of that they're looking like a weakest spot on the defense.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

Oklahawg

Quote from: SemperFi on November 16, 2016, 10:49:03 am
Very true statement. Just watch how our DL was getting blown off the ball against LSU. With the Secondary struggling to get off blocks and providing run support the LB's are being asked to take up way too much slack and because of that they're looking like a weakest spot on the defense.

You can neutralize the LSU RBs if you force them to go sideways. They can't outrun you to the corner AND turn the corner. Problem is when they can get a head start: DBs and LBs don't like to get punished by guys that big play after play.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

mclyte

Josh Paul is the key.  I don't think people realize how good he is. 

Nashville Fan

Could the decline LB be relate to ARs improvement in picking running backs? Feels like there were more offensive player moved to defense in the past.
Pittman or Bust!

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: mclyte on November 17, 2016, 12:50:33 am

We don't know how good any of theses players are.

The_Boot_stops_here

Man, I hope you're right. But apparently, not many coaches realize how good he is either considering he only has 5 offers. Now, the bright side is that 3 of those 5 offers are SEC offers. And he has nice size.

RedyorNot

I'm excited about Walker, that kid can move and likes to hit.

onebadrubi

Quote from: RedyorNot on November 17, 2016, 09:23:02 am
I'm excited about Walker, that kid can move and likes to hit.

Heck I think the entire list of LB'ers next year is something to be excited about. 

Greenlaw
Ramsey
Harris
Eugene (he's really stepped up)
AJB
Walker
La France
Harris

Then you have the two coming in and I am not sure we aren't trying to add one more.  We should start to see Lb'ers redshirt ever year from this class on out. 

ballhogger

I would like to know.  I have checked his hudl out and looked for highlights but I can't find anything on him.

Oklahawg

LSU does not have a linebacker in its 2017 commit list according to 247. That concerns me. Not sure who they might be targeting and if one of our commits might be someone they pursue late.

Not long ago I posted somewhere about our recruiting efforts and noted some players we were on until the end but didn't land. Solomon Thomas, Kristian Fulton, etc., those guys. I neglected to include Michael Divinity, LB at LSU. If I am remembering correctly he visited UA before committing to LSU.

The_Boot_stops_here

I think everyone has reason to be feeling better about the depth we will have at LB.  It's been too long with a paper thin depth chart.  Whether or not there is quality in the depth remains to be seen.  Hopefully some of these guys are "diamonds in the rough".  We're going to need them to be.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 16, 2016, 11:05:47 pm
You can neutralize the LSU RBs if you force them to go sideways. They can't outrun you to the corner AND turn the corner. Problem is when they can get a head start: DBs and LBs don't like to get punished by guys that big play after play.

I agree.  So much of our problems we blame on the LBs when it is so much to do with our DL allowing the RBs to run untouched between our tackles.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on November 17, 2016, 10:45:20 am
I agree.  So much of our problems we blame on the LBs when it is so much to do with our DL allowing the RBs to run untouched between our tackles.

No question the DL has underachieved this year.  The LB's are an issue too.  Heck, as far as I'm concerned, the CB's are the only ones that have played worth a darn for the most part.  But I remember last year how we were all wondering if the DB's were bad just b/c they sucked or did it have something to do with the DL not getting pressure and asking the DB's to do too much.  In the end, it's all tied together and when 1 unit is awful, it affects all the others.

Jim Harris

Quote from: Richard Davenport on November 15, 2016, 06:16:36 pm
Their roster shows most of the LBs being 230 and above.

http://www.rolltide.com/roster.aspx?path=football

you can be 230 and lean. and tall. and rangy. Rather than going by the listed heights and weights on a roster, just look at them! ;)
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Jim Harris

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 15, 2016, 08:28:34 pm

Saban's starting defensive line runs better than most of Arkansas's (and others') entire D.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson