Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kelby Wickline

Started by Exit Pursued by a Boar, November 07, 2016, 08:31:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Exit Pursued by a Boar

This kid started out as a grayshirt at UTSA. Now everyone is after him. What happened? Can you blow up that much in JUCO?

EFBAB

Oklahawg

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: exit followed by a boar on November 07, 2016, 08:31:18 pm
This kid started out as a grayshirt at UTSA. Now everyone is after him. What happened? Can you blow up that much in JUCO?

EFBAB

It happens.  Not every kid that goes the JUCO route is due to grades.  Some just want to roll the dice and bet on themselves using the opportunity to improve their stock with P5 programs.  Doesn't always work but they do try. Maybe Wickline is one of those. 

The_Iceman

Especially on the offensive line. See Johnny Gibson.

Richard Davenport

EFBAB

Especially if you're needing linemen. He had a good season and coaches like what they saw.

Arthur pigby sellers.

EFBAB
Look at any NFL roster and you'll see late bloomers who weren't highly recruited

DoubleReedHawgCaller

Quote from: Arthur pigby sellers. on November 08, 2016, 03:58:23 pm
Look at any NFL roster and you'll see late bloomers who weren't highly recruited
Case in point a olineman for Seattle last night hadn't started a game since the 8thair grade and I believe they also said he didn't even play college football.
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

Paul

onebadrubi

Quote from: DoubleReedHawgCaller on November 08, 2016, 05:06:00 pm
Case in point a olineman for Seattle last night hadn't started a game since the 8thair grade and I believe they also said he didn't even play college football.

Was a western Kentucky basketball star and his senior year played some football and was attempting to be a tight end.  He will probably end up a decent tackle.

jackflash

I hope we end up with Wickline looks like a offensive tackle to me.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 07, 2016, 10:01:08 pm
Yes.

I believe that Kelby Wickline is the son of Joe Wickline, the former Okla State/Texas OC/OL Coach and now the W. Virginia Offensive Coordinator.
Go Hogs Go!

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 09, 2016, 07:02:31 am
I believe that Kelby Wickline is the son of Joe Wickline, the former Okla State/Texas OC/OL Coach and now the W. Virginia Offensive Coordinator.

True. A coach's son always seems to know the Xs and Os.  I don't necessarily think having a father as assisstant coach at another college will affect his decision.  Those guys move around too much to depend on them being in any one place from year to year.

EFBAB

ADavisTheGOAT

Kelby committed to North Carolina today.
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

jackflash

North Carolina that sucks

RazrRila99

Any chance that Larry Fedora leaves NC after this season?  Maybe that will open Wickline recruiting back up? 

Fedora is a name that hasnt been thrown around very much this coaching carousel season.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: RazrRila99 on November 15, 2016, 10:28:53 am
Any chance that Larry Fedora leaves NC after this season?  Maybe that will open Wickline recruiting back up? 

Fedora is a name that hasnt been thrown around very much this coaching carousel season.

Maybe Baylor. He's a TX guy. Im not sure Wickline is one you sit around hoping for a coaching change to bring back into the picture though. It aint a huge deal. Although he did have a better offer list than any of the OL guys we have committed right now.

ricepig

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on November 15, 2016, 11:36:50 am
Maybe Baylor. He's a TX guy. Im not sure Wickline is one you sit around hoping for a coaching change to bring back into the picture though. It aint a huge deal. Although he did have a better offer list than any of the OL guys we have committed right now.

Yeah, but those guys will more than likely be on the shelf for two years, with Wickline, you had three years starting next year. I suspect in a perfect world, we would like one more JUCO, and one more high schooler.

Oklahawg

Quote from: ricepig on November 15, 2016, 12:12:09 pm
Yeah, but those guys will more than likely be on the shelf for two years, with Wickline, you had three years starting next year. I suspect in a perfect world, we would like one more JUCO, and one more high schooler.

Not sure if they are still chasing the OL from the Miss JUCO where Nance is from. The OL from TX is on their radar, Felalai (is that right?). You would think there are others we just don't know the names, necessarily. I think we chase two more in this class.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: ricepig on November 15, 2016, 12:12:09 pm

I'm convinced you will disagree with literally anything I post.  All I said was that Wickline isn't a kid you keep an eye on the coaching carousel for, even though he would have been the highest recruited OLinman we would have had for this class (based on quality of offers anyway).  Never said I didn't want him.  In fact, I would have been happy to have him.  He will likely end up being a solid contributor. 

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 15, 2016, 12:25:51 pm
Not sure if they are still chasing the OL from the Miss JUCO where Nance is from. The OL from TX is on their radar, Felalai (is that right?). You would think there are others we just don't know the names, necessarily. I think we chase two more in this class.

Hays would be nice but I'm not sure we're still on his radar

Oklahawg

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on November 15, 2016, 01:20:02 pm
Hays would be nice but I'm not sure we're still on his radar

OL is the slowest build for college coaches. They may have a couple of back-up plans offers that are 3-4 years away from the field. We obviously want "here and now" talent and may need it at OL but getting a middling option that can help today is not superior to a kid who can be developed for the long-haul.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 15, 2016, 01:59:55 pm
OL is the slowest build for college coaches. They may have a couple of back-up plans offers that are 3-4 years away from the field. We obviously want "here and now" talent and may need it at OL but getting a middling option that can help today is not superior to a kid who can be developed for the long-haul.

I think(?) we're on the same page here.  I am fine with the OL guys we have committed.  I bet they'll probably end up being fine in the long run. But Hays is not a "middling" option if that's what you were inferring.  He is top tier.  He would be a talent and timing fit.  I just don't think he's interested unfortunately.

ricepig

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on November 15, 2016, 01:18:14 pm
I'm convinced you will disagree with literally anything I post.  All I said was that Wickline isn't a kid you keep an eye on the coaching carousel for, even though he would have been the highest recruited OLinman we would have had for this class (based on quality of offers anyway).  Never said I didn't want him.  In fact, I would have been happy to have him.  He will likely end up being a solid contributor. 

I'm convinced that I replied to your post with my own thoughts on it. I said we would still like a JUCO guy, which Kirby was. I'll connect the dots for you, the high school guys will redshirt and probably be backups as redshirt sophomores, we'd like a guy who could come in and push for time. Kirby said he needed to put on weight, so I'm not sure he was going to contribute next year or not for us. Since we don't play UNC good luck to the young man.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: ricepig on November 15, 2016, 03:51:22 pm
I'm convinced that I replied to your post with my own thoughts on it. I said we would still like a JUCO guy, which Kirby was. I'll connect the dots for you, the high school guys will redshirt and probably be backups as redshirt sophomores, we'd like a guy who could come in and push for time. Kirby said he needed to put on weight, so I'm not sure he was going to contribute next year or not for us. Since we don't play UNC good luck to the young man.

There is no connecting the dots.  You're trying to argue something that just isn't there to argue about.  It's what you do.  I mean seriously, what are you trying to argue about the 3 OL boys redshirting?  Who was debating that? Certainly not me.  I hope they do as it would likely pay off in the long run for them.  I also never said we don't need a JC kid for the OL.  I simply said Kelby isn't the kind of talent you watch the coaching carousel for.  I was just trying to lessen the sting maybe. Or be contrary.  Oh, and it's Kelby, not Kirby. 

ricepig

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on November 15, 2016, 04:31:00 pm
There is no connecting the dots.  You're trying to argue something that just isn't there to argue about.  It's what you do.  I mean seriously, what are you trying to argue about the 3 OL boys redshirting?  Who was debating that? Certainly not me.  I hope they do as it would likely pay off in the long run for them.  I also never said we don't need a JC kid for the OL.  I simply said Kelby isn't the kind of talent you watch the coaching carousel for.  I was just trying to lessen the sting maybe. Or be contrary.  Oh, and it's Kelby, not Kirby. 

You also are quick to point out on here about commits you don't like, but apparently the staff does, so I really don't care what you think about it, lol.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: ricepig on November 15, 2016, 04:59:42 pm
You also are quick to point out on here about commits you don't like, but apparently the staff does, so I really don't care what you think about it, lol.

Nor do I care what you think. But regardless, WTH are you talking about?  You're literally making no sense in relation to anything I've posted in this thread. If you're going to argue just because you feel like arguing, at least make it relevant to something I actually said in this thread.

ricepig

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on November 15, 2016, 06:20:26 pm
Nor do I care what you think. But regardless, WTH are you talking about?  You're literally making no sense in relation to anything I've posted in this thread. If you're going to argue just because you feel like arguing, at least make it relevant to something I actually said in this thread.

Oh, your quick dismissal of our current recruits "offer list", I stated they weren't playing for two years anyway, so who knows how they will develop and we were looking for JUCO help.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: ricepig on November 15, 2016, 07:03:32 pm
Oh, your quick dismissal of our current recruits "offer list", I stated they weren't playing for two years anyway, so who knows how they will develop and we were looking for JUCO help.

Lol. Well at least I finally know what you were referring to, specifically. Just reinforces that you were just looking for something to argue about.

Oklahawg

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on November 15, 2016, 03:33:54 pm
I think(?) we're on the same page here.  I am fine with the OL guys we have committed.  I bet they'll probably end up being fine in the long run. But Hays is not a "middling" option if that's what you were inferring.  He is top tier.  He would be a talent and timing fit.  I just don't think he's interested unfortunately.

My comments were unrelated to Hays, sorry for the confusion.

We continue to see the offense needing to help manage the game for the defense. Assuming that remains true in 2017 we need one more OL who can help immediately.

ricepig

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on November 15, 2016, 08:48:37 pm
Lol. Well at least I finally know what you were referring to, specifically. Just reinforces that you were just looking for something to argue about.

Well, I don't claim to know more about recruiting than the recruiting analysts, unlike some.

Oklahawg

Boot and Rice, two different opinions does not mean that one is right and one is wrong.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: ricepig on November 16, 2016, 07:33:08 am
Well, I don't claim to know more about recruiting than the recruiting analysts, unlike some.

Lol, what?  You're all over the place man. Is this age or alcohol induced?

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 16, 2016, 09:51:27 am
Boot and Rice, two different opinions does not mean that one is right and one is wrong.

No kidding.  What exactly we have a difference of opinion on (in this particular thread anyway), is a mystery. 

Music City Hog

PorkRinds

ricepig

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on November 16, 2016, 09:52:39 am

Oh, just going off your discussion on WH and telling the analysts how wrong they are on everything. I'm surprised you don't have a service and subscribers, lol.

ricepig

ricepig

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on November 16, 2016, 09:52:39 am

The treatment of recruits on here, and one of us seeming to know everything on recruiting. I leave it up to the professionals, both on the staff and those paid to report it.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: ricepig on November 16, 2016, 04:59:07 pm
Oh, just going off your discussion on WH and telling the analysts how wrong they are on everything. I'm surprised you don't have a service and subscribers, lol.

Lol. Stalker. Consider me flattered. Hahahahaha. Oh, and since you're referencing a specific thread on WH, one of the "recruiting expert's" openly  agreed with me on who The better prospect likely is. Shocking that you would somehow misinterpret that.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: ricepig on November 16, 2016, 05:01:38 pm
The treatment of recruits on here, and one of us seeming to know everything on recruiting. I leave it up to the professionals, both on the staff and those paid to report it.

You're scattered man.   You were apparently worried about other threads while posting in this one.  You're really reaching here. You're usually more on point even if you're always an a hole

ricepig

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on November 16, 2016, 05:22:53 pm
You're scattered man.   You were apparently worried about other threads while posting in this one.  You're really reaching here. You're usually more on point even if you're always an a hole

When someone starts name calling, you know your point has been made. I'll put you on ignore, probably will serve you best, as well.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: ricepig on November 16, 2016, 05:29:00 pm
When someone starts name calling, you know your point has been made. I'll put you on ignore, probably will serve you best, as well.

No you won't. You enjoy it too much.

PorkRinds

Oklahawg

Boot: your time here will be pretty short if you pull the stunt you pulled on the payboard. That was somewhere between childish and being a royal dick. Not here.