Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Marcus Spears speaking on it

Started by snoot hoggy hog, September 19, 2017, 06:31:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

snoot hoggy hog

He asked the all important question

"When did Arkansas lose their way?"

Talked about Arkansas losing their identity as a smashmouth run it down your throat football team. He said Arkansas was the team that nobody wanted to play in November, now they have became a pass happy offense. Said that Arkansas needs to get back to their wheelhouse and that's nasty big boy football.

I agree.

Arkansas Fan

I saw it. I guess we're gonna have to bring back Pittman and his husband, Chaney.

hoghearted

Funny. We didn't look 'pass happy' the last two games.

I don't care how they win; just take what the defense gives you.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Hawghiggs

Quote from: hoghearted on September 19, 2017, 06:35:06 pm

Well, TCU's defense gave us an a$$ whooping. So now what?

TNhawgfan

You can only be a smash mouth team when you have the o line to smash people. This o line can't do it
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

Tusks

Yeah this isn't going to get fixed this season.  It might improve but not FIXED.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Pork Ranger

Yeah that's my biggest complaint. The box is stacked and everyone knows we are running. Gets stuffed every time

SugarHillGaHog

Quote from: snoot hoggy hog on September 19, 2017, 06:31:21 pm

Talked about Arkansas losing their identity as a smashmouth run it down your throat football team. He said Arkansas was the team that nobody wanted to play in November, now they have became a pass happy offense. Said that Arkansas needs to get back to their wheelhouse and that's nasty big boy football.

I agree.

He was totally correct.  I don't know if it's players, scheme, or coaching but it's lacking now.

rhames

I don't care if we pass. I don't care if we run. I just want win games cause that's always way more fun.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

PorkSoda

That is nice and all, but we must have watched different games.

I do agree that we seem to have lost our identity on offense, but running it up the gut more is not going to fix that.

I think Enos is a Passing Offense guy, and CBB is a Rushing Offense Guy.  I can only guess that maybe they are having a clash of styles.  IMO unless CBB wants to run the offense himself and turn Enos into a glorified QB coach, then he needs to let Enos create the kind of offense Enos wants.  otherwise its just Enos calling the kind of plays that he thinks CBB wants him to call and not what he thinks is right for the situation.

My impression is that CBB is feeling the heat and doing more meddling, when he needs to be putting it on his coordinators to do their job and trust them to get it done.  He just needs to worry about writing and inspiring speech to get the players motivated. 
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

onebadrubi

Quote from: PorkSoda on September 19, 2017, 06:54:47 pm

I do agree that we seem to have lost our identity on offense, but running it up the gut more is not going to fix that.

I think Enos is a Passing Offense guy, and CBB is a Rushing Offense Guy.  I can only guess that maybe they are having a clash of styles.  IMO unless CBB wants to run the offense himself and turn Enos into a glorified QB coach, then he needs to let Enos create the kind of offense Enos wants.  otherwise its just Enos calling the kind of plays that he thinks CBB wants him to call and not what he thinks is right for the situation.

My impression is that CBB is feeling the heat and doing more meddling, when he needs to be putting it on his coordinators to do their job and trust them to get it done.  He just needs to worry about writing and inspiring speech to get the players motivated.

If this is true, we are doomed.  You can't have a staff torn in direction of how to play and the team function properly.  While I am not sold this is happening, it could be an issue we are seeing with the on the field play.  Is Enos trying to call a game that shows a blend of his style and what he thinks Bielema wants?  Are they have to coach to a blend? 

We aren't playing power football, we haven't been playing power football, and we have failed more times than I want to remember to get that physical yard or two when needed since Bielema has gotten here.  That is not a secret and I am not a Bielema basher.  We saw a very improved route tree and pass offense when Enos came, but we had a completely different team than we have now, Ragnow being the only one from that offense. 

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: rhames on September 19, 2017, 06:54:45 pm
I don't care if we pass. I don't care if we run. I just want win games cause that's always way more fun.

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Athog

Quote from: snoot hoggy hog on September 19, 2017, 06:31:21 pm

I agree.

Talk about an underperformed!!!

bondhue

The last time I remember a dominant ground game in 2nd half was J Williams and A Collins against TTech.  At their place.  That was majestic.  I miss J Williams.
That's a pretty girl.  I caught her twice.  12.5 pounds.  I hope she's still alive.

ballz2thewall

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on September 19, 2017, 06:32:58 pm
I saw it. I guess we're gonna have to bring back Pittman and his husband, Chaney.

that got a laugh, man.....:)
The rest of the frog.

sowmonella

Quote from: ballz2thewall on September 19, 2017, 07:18:46 pm
that got a laugh, man.....:)

That's Spears standard answer when asked about Arkansas. He's been repeating it for 2 years plus.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

PorkSoda

Quote from: onebadrubi on September 19, 2017, 07:14:45 pm
If this is true, we are doomed.  You can't have a staff torn in direction of how to play and the team function properly.  While I am not sold this is happening, it could be an issue we are seeing with the on the field play.  Is Enos trying to call a game that shows a blend of his style and what he thinks Bielema wants?  Are they have to coach to a blend? 

We aren't playing power football, we haven't been playing power football, and we have failed more times than I want to remember to get that physical yard or two when needed since Bielema has gotten here.  That is not a secret and I am not a Bielema basher.  We saw a very improved route tree and pass offense when Enos came, but we had a completely different team than we have now, Ragnow being the only one from that offense. 
Yeah, I mean, I'm not sold either, just speculating mostly.  I just don't know how else to explain what we have been seeing.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

MuskogeeHogFan

Well this is the thing right here. Be able to execute whatever you need to execute whenever you need or want to do it. I remember Petrino saying that we were going to be a team under him that would be able to run whenever they wanted to. That happened some, but not exactly that way. Bielema's offense was that way for a 2-3 years, then started turning a different direction where we couldn't even power the ball into the EZ when we needed to be able to do so.

The bigger problem is that every team seems to develop an identity and attempt to scheme themselves and their game plans in such a way that it fits their identity. We started out as a run first team and then progressed to a run and pass team and now it seems like we have progressed to a pass first, run second team. Problem being, we have young receivers who aren't getting open quickly which causes AA to hold the ball longer and creates more pressure and sacks.

Marcus Spears and that little QB from Vandy never bothered to mention any of that as the problem. It's just that they feel the O-Line has got away from being a dominant force and it is more of a question of their commitment as players. That isn't true. Our scheme has changed and when you become "pass first" and receivers aren't developed and don't get open, you can't fault the O-Line for not holding their blocks in pass pro for 5 to 6 seconds. And if you aren't practicing a more physical, run first attitude in practice because you have become a pass first team, don't be surprised when your O-Line doesn't have the practiced ability to pound the ball into the EZ on a run.
Go Hogs Go!

Hoggish1

Quote from: Hawghiggs on September 19, 2017, 06:46:29 pm
Well, TCU's defense gave us an a$$ whooping. So now what?

Hardly as you say, but go for it if it makes you feel good...

PorkSoda

September 19, 2017, 08:05:54 pm #19 Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 08:40:57 pm by PorkSoda
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 19, 2017, 07:49:14 pm
Our scheme has changed and when you become "pass first"
did we watch the same game? 

of the 21 first down plays 14 were runs and 7 were pass and of those 7 passing first downs 3 were in the 4th qtr during desperation time.

we are a run first team, im not sure why people get the idea that we are a passing first team.

its not even close.

Kevin

Arkansas lost their way, when cbb decided he did not need to be the enforcer anymore. he thought he had players mature enough to handle it. he started to let things slip, and the team has been slipping since.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

onebadrubi

Quote from: PorkSoda on September 19, 2017, 07:37:15 pm
Yeah, I mean, I'm not sold either, just speculating mostly.  I just don't know how else to explain what we have been seeing.

The leaks if true of Austin being hurt for most of fall camp, if true, explain a lot. 

sowmonella

Quote from: Kevin on September 19, 2017, 08:12:20 pm
Arkansas lost their way, when cbb decided he did not need to be the enforcer anymore. he thought he had players mature enough to handle it. he started to let things slip, and the team has been slipping since.
What did he let slip?
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Porkchop#1

Quote from: bondhue on September 19, 2017, 07:17:10 pm
The last time I remember a dominant ground game in 2nd half was J Williams and A Collins against TTech.  At their place.  That was majestic.  I miss J William
See if you can find some tape on our game with Miss. State from last season.  RWIII went smooth off on the dawgs'.  Devwah didn't look too bad either, even Hammonds ripped them for a good one.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: PorkSoda on September 19, 2017, 08:05:54 pm

of the 21 first down plays 14 were runs and 7 were pass and of those 7 passing first downs 3 were in the 4th qtr during desperation time.

we are a run first team, im not sure why people get the idea that we are a passing first team.

its not even close.

Our original scheme was pass first. 1st quarter was 5 of 9 passing with 10 runs. Second quarter was 0 for 1, with 10 runs. Third quarter, 1 of 3 passing with 10 runs. 4th quarter was 3 of 10 passing with 6 runs. We wanted to pass, but receivers weren't getting open and AA couldn't stand back there holding the ball all night waiting for it to happen.

We are a pass first offense with the hope that it opens up the run game. When you don't have receivers getting open you have no other alternative but to try the run.
Go Hogs Go!

PorkSoda

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 19, 2017, 08:54:30 pm
Our original scheme was pass first. 1st quarter was 5 of 9 passing with 10 runs. Second quarter was 0 for 1, with 10 runs. Third quarter, 1 of 3 passing with 10 runs. 4th quarter was 3 of 10 passing with 6 runs. We wanted to pass, but receivers weren't getting open and AA couldn't stand back there holding the ball all night waiting for it to happen.

We are a pass first offense with the hope that it opens up the run game. When you don't have receivers getting open you have no other alternative but to try the run.
um no.  on first down we run twice as many times as we pass on first down.  that makes us a 'run first' team. 

on over all plays, we still run more (31) than we pass (23), so again we are a running team.

Facts, use them to form an opinion, not the other way around.

hoglady

Quote from: onebadrubi on September 19, 2017, 08:15:58 pm
The leaks if true of Austin being hurt for most of fall camp, if true, explain a lot. 

If Austin is hurt / then why didn't we use more time getting Cole Kelley ready to play?
And why would he not have played more in the Fla. A&M game?
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Porkchop#1

Quote from: PorkSoda on September 19, 2017, 08:55:52 pm
um no.  on first down we run twice as many times as we pass on first down.  that makes us a 'run first' team. 

on over all plays, we still run more (31) than we pass (23), so again we are a running team.

Facts, use them to form an opinion, not the other way around.
Okay..so you're saying a team that runs more than they pass is a .....gulp......running team????

hoghearted

Quote from: PorkSoda on September 19, 2017, 08:05:54 pm

its not even close.

yeah, that had me scratching my head. We aren't a 'pass first' team. We are a running team that, so far this season, struggles to pass.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

hoghearted

Quote from: hoglady on September 19, 2017, 09:05:36 pm
If Austin is hurt / then why didn't we use more time getting Cole Kelley ready to play?

excellent question

Rayzback

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 19, 2017, 08:54:30 pm

And once they have zero respect for the passing game, good luck running it.
Mellow is the man who knows what he's been missin

Wildhog

We simply don't have the ability to play 'nasty, big boy football.'
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Locutus_of_Boar

Bret Bielema has coached 53 games at Arkansas and of all those games the only game where his team was truly fully in the advertised smash mouth style of Wisconsin was the 2014 game in Lubbock.  I thought that day we were seeing the first real evidence of what his Arkansas version of smash mouth would look like but it never came back, replaced the rest of 2014 and 2015 by good chemistry between the Brandon Allen and the TEs and WRs keeping the program propped up for a while doing just what you said taking what was given.

When they do the post-mortem for his career in Fayetteville the loss of Pittman will be the primary culprit made worse I think by some sort of strength and condition problem that in addition to not developing players seems to be contributing to excessive injuries.

ChicoHog

Don't forget also that TT had and still has and probably always will have a horrible defensive team.   It was fun to watch however. 

Sapperhog

Quote from: TNhawgfan on September 19, 2017, 06:48:22 pm
You can only be a smash mouth team when you have the o line to smash people. This o line can't do it

Jackpot. Tretola, Kirkland, Skip, and Smothers are gone. Ragnow can't do it alone. OL recruiting has fallen off a cliff.

RedRazorHog

Well this is the thing right here. Be able to execute whatever you need to execute whenever you need or want to do it. I remember Petrino saying that we were going to be a team under him that would be able to run whenever they wanted to. That happened some, but not exactly that way. Bielema's offense was that way for a 2-3 years, then started turning a different direction where we couldn't even power the ball into the EZ when we needed to be able to do so.

The bigger problem is that every team seems to develop an identity and attempt to scheme themselves and their game plans in such a way that it fits their identity. We started out as a run first team and then progressed to a run and pass team and now it seems like we have progressed to a pass first, run second team. Problem being, we have young receivers who aren't getting open quickly which causes AA to hold the ball longer and creates more pressure and sacks.

Marcus Spears and that little QB from Vandy never bothered to mention any of that as the problem. It's just that they feel the O-Line has got away from being a dominant force and it is more of a question of their commitment as players. That isn't true. Our scheme has changed and when you become "pass first" and receivers aren't developed and don't get open, you can't fault the O-Line for not holding their blocks in pass pro for 5 to 6 seconds. And if you aren't practicing a more physical, run first attitude in practice because you have become a pass first team, don't be surprised when your O-Line doesn't have the practiced ability to pound the ball into the EZ on a run.

Good post.  I agree.
"I've found that prayers work best when you have Big Players"

--Knute Rockne

elksnort

It's the same darn different day it's a matter of executing really run it or throw it they actually have to do both

onebadrubi

Quote from: hoglady on September 19, 2017, 09:05:36 pm

THe leaks are that he was hurt in fall camp but was ready to go game week, not that he is still injured.  It was said that they spent a lot of fall camp with Kelly and Ty getting the reps, which is telling about why AA timing is off with everyone. 

I don't know this to be fact by any means, just started to appear on here a few days ago.

RedRazorHog

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on September 19, 2017, 09:28:43 pm
Bret Bielema has coached 53 games at Arkansas and of all those games the only game where his team was truly fully in the advertised smash mouth style of Wisconsin was the 2014 game in Lubbock.  I thought that day we were seeing the first real evidence of what his Arkansas version of smash mouth would look like but it never came back, replaced the rest of 2014 and 2015 by good chemistry between the Brandon Allen and the TEs and WRs keeping the program propped up for a while doing just what you said taking what was given.

When they do the post-mortem for his career in Fayetteville the loss of Pittman will be the primary culprit made worse I think by some sort of strength and condition problem that in addition to not developing players seems to be contributing to excessive injuries.

Agree.  The chronic foot injuries indicate his weight lifting approach has a contributing factors to the injuries and our o-line guys seem to get pushed around more than before.
"I've found that prayers work best when you have Big Players"

--Knute Rockne

hobhog

Quote from: onebadrubi on September 19, 2017, 09:44:51 pm
THe leaks are that he was hurt in fall camp but was ready to go game week, not that he is still injured.  It was said that they spent a lot of fall camp with Kelly and Ty getting the reps, which is telling about why AA timing is off with everyone. 

I don't know this to be fact by any means, just started to appear on here a few days ago.

The Leaks = I Heard = They Say

hobhog

He also said LSU is a "mediocre" program......ouch from a tigger.

hoglady

Quote from: onebadrubi on September 19, 2017, 09:44:51 pm

I thought Bielema said something today along the lines of Austin has been dealing with something since fall camp. (I read that on another board). I didn't hear Bielema say it - so not sure exactly what he said.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Jimbob111

Quote from: PorkSoda on September 19, 2017, 06:54:47 pm

My impression is that CBB is feeling the heat and doing more meddling, when he needs to be putting it on his coordinators to do their job and trust them to get it done.  He just needs to worry about writing and ins

I don't agree with this assessment. BB's Arkansas teams have never been run first. He called them run first but that didn't make it so. And this team is not a pass first team. But when there are 8 or 9 in the box, even run first coaches PASS rather than run.

BB's numbers bear out that he may run more than he passes but the numbers are not that far apart. It's not like he coached at Georgia Tech. THAT is a run first team.  BB's never had a run first team.
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

hog.goblin

Quote from: sowmonella on September 19, 2017, 07:31:01 pm
That's Spears standard answer when asked about Arkansas. He's been repeating it for 2 years plus.

Probably because he's right.

hog.goblin

Really can't argue with any of this

Rayzback

Totally agree. It's awesome to watch, when you're not on the receiving end (Auburn). I think AA benefitted from what was left in the receiver cupboard last year while they tried to put some kind of line together.  This year they plug in freshman and hope the passing game pans out?  Those short yard situations are so frustrating anymore, especially in the red zone. No passing game, no smash mouth, and no field goal.
Mellow is the man who knows what he's been missin

N HOG

I think it's possible that there is some level of philosophical difference between Enos and CBB.

On another note, I am not sure the OL is quite as bad as we think. I am convinced TCU was sure we couldn't pass and used all of their arsenal to stuff the run.

As far as pass protection, AA held on to the ball too long....mainly because no one was open.

We miss Drew Morgan. If all other routes failed, he was a great fallback.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Kevin on September 19, 2017, 08:12:20 pm

This is accurate.
[CENSORED]!

twistitup

Cbb has lost confidence in himself
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Kevin

Quote from: sowmonella on September 19, 2017, 08:16:24 pm
What did he let slip?

mike Irwin spoke on it after last season. that the discipline was not at the same level as it was the first couple of years
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22