Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Devwah

Started by Memhogs, August 25, 2016, 10:32:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Memhogs

Watched some more of his highlights and this dude is just a freak. He has just about everything from making people miss to flattening folks on their back. I even saw him make some pretty impressive catches. Any possibility of seeing him catching a few passes for the hogs down the road?? Just a thought. Excited to watch him as well as the other freshman we've heard so much about.
Thats why they make chocolate and Vanilla, some folks like chocolate, and everyone else has bad taste.

factchecker

I hope with a lighter o-line that we will be able to implement some screens.  They were almost non-existent under Chaney.  Enos tried running them more, utilizing Rawleigh mostly. 

Screens can keep an aggressive pass rush honest.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Memhogs

Quote from: factchecker on August 25, 2016, 10:35:34 am
I hope with a lighter o-line that we will be able to implement some screens.  They were almost non-existent under Chaney.  Enos tried running them more, utilizing Rawleigh mostly. 

Screens can keep an aggressive pass rush honest.
Honest pass rush that helps the young o-line?? I'm excited. I hope Devwah makes the same appearance that Marcus Lattimore and Todd Gurley did.
Thats why they make chocolate and Vanilla, some folks like chocolate, and everyone else has bad taste.

bennyl08

Quote from: Memhogs on August 25, 2016, 11:16:10 am
Honest pass rush that helps the young o-line?? I'm excited. I hope Devwah makes the same appearance that Marcus Lattimore and Todd Gurley did.

Very different runner to either of those two though. Really reminds me of a Dmac is style and skill, but replace one step of speed for power.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Hawgey-Davidson

Quote from: Memhogs on August 25, 2016, 11:16:10 am
And Nick Chubb.

Terryproy

Get ready to be amazed.... WooDamnPig

King Kong

Quote from: Terryproy on August 31, 2016, 07:08:05 am

Best poster on Hogville

jgphillips3

I've been ready.  I know, barring injury, I'm looking at the next Arkansas back to break 1000 yards for 3 consecutive seasons when your nephew hits the field.  WooDamnPig!

King Kong

August 31, 2016, 08:35:34 am #8 Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 09:58:01 am by King Kong
Quote from: jgphillips3 on August 31, 2016, 08:28:09 am
I've been ready.  I know, barring injury, I'm looking at the next Arkansas back to break 1000 yards for 3 consecutive seasons when your nephew hits the field.  WooDamnPig!

The he can join Walker, Dmac, Collins and probably leonard fournette as the only RBs to do this in the SEC

IronMountainHog

Uncle Terry are you gonna be in Fayetteville for any or all the games this year?

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

MS_HogFan

SOOIE

gmarv

i,m ready and i can,t wait.wps

ChitownHawg

I heard in one of the scrimmages DW went beast like this:

PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

PonderinHog

My first impression was he preferred going north/south over east/west.

alohawg

Quote from: PonderinHog on August 31, 2016, 11:46:03 am

Was gonna post this.....also great instincts.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: PonderinHog on August 31, 2016, 11:46:03 am

That's good, because the field in Fayetteville is on a north-south alignment.

This might be a problem if the Razorbacks play a game where the stadium doesn't run north-south. Also have to make sure we point him in the right direction. Even in Fayetteville, half the time north is the wrong direction.
[CENSORED]!

JaketheSnake

If Bama can do that with Gump, we can do that with Whaley!

PonderinHog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 31, 2016, 02:32:49 pm

This might be a problem if the Razorbacks play a game where the stadium doesn't run north-south. Also have to make sure we point him in the right direction. Even in Fayetteville, half the time north is the wrong direction.
We may need to hold him out of those games.

Bigmac2

Quote from: factchecker on August 31, 2016, 09:54:17 am

After watching this I'm curious who #70 the right guard is. Good size, somewhat decent footwork, not great speed when pulling but held his blocks well. Devwah ran behind him a good bit. Devwah will be very good. Great at seeing the field, hopefully the strength coach will give him more of a second gear. I know he got caught by a lot of angles but some of the pursuit was similar to AC. Good first burst of speed getting through the line then tails off IMO.

Sportster365

Quote from: Bigmac2 on August 31, 2016, 03:12:20 pm
After watching this I'm curious who #70 the right guard is. Good size, somewhat decent footwork, not great speed when pulling but held his blocks well. Devwah ran behind him a good bit. Devwah will be very good. Great at seeing the field, hopefully the strength coach will give him more of a second gear. I know he got caught by a lot of angles but some of the pursuit was similar to AC. Good first burst of speed getting through the line then tails off IMO.

Good observation, I noticed his quick first step and ability to get through the lines as well. It seems its either one or the other with most folks, quick take off speeds early or slower take offs and stronger finishes. At the RB position I'd probably prefer the former over the latter.

Paul

I'm so excited to watch this kid play!  Wish we could go back to tear away jerseys.  Didn't realize he had such good hands.

tophawg19

i see more of a Felix Jones type back. one who scares defenses because any breakdown on defense costs you 7 points. Also don't forget T.J Hammonds . he is very dangerous and cat quick
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

whosiskid

I'm very excited about Devwah and I think likely the best new RB since Dmac. Love that Bielema isn't afraid to play freshmen.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

Mr. Barnett (rbarnet424)

when they are that good you better play them as they will likely leave after their 3rd year so why waste a year in a RS.
PanamaHOG
Representing the Razorbacks down in PTY

JayBell

It is interesting how the coaching staff hasn't talked about Whaley much in the preseason.  Considering he hasn't been in trouble and he's been productive in practices and scrimmages, I'm pretty sure they're just trying to curtail too much hype.

They keep saying they think Rawleigh can get more than 1,000 yards.  They harp on how good Walker is coming back as a 6th year player.  We know Hammonds was injured and there's been plenty of stories written about Duwop, but they've said surprisingly little about possibly the best freshman they have on the team.

HamSammich

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 31, 2016, 02:32:49 pm

Magnetic north or true north? Magnetic north runners are tricky to tackle.

longpig

Quote from: JayBell on September 01, 2016, 10:52:02 am
It is interesting how the coaching staff hasn't talked about Whaley much in the preseason.  Considering he hasn't been in trouble and he's been productive in practices and scrimmages, I'm pretty sure they're just trying to curtail too much hype.

They keep saying they think Rawleigh can get more than 1,000 yards.  They harp on how good Walker is coming back as a 6th year player.  We know Hammonds was injured and there's been plenty of stories written about Duwop, but they've said surprisingly little about possibly the best freshman they have on the team.

Whaley will be praised and relied on more by our coaching staff as he becomes a more proven and reliable pass blocker and every down back, like Walker and Williams.  He just got here.  This staff isn't going to push Walker and Williams aside and put him on a pedestal for big runs, it will be for learning the play book and picking up blocks, among other things.
Don't be scared, be smart.

Sportster365

Quote from: whosiskid on August 31, 2016, 08:11:23 pm
I'm very excited about Devwah and I think likely the best new RB since Dmac. Love that Bielema isn't afraid to play freshmen.

That's a tall order and from what I've seen so far I don't think he's as good as Alex Collins was coming in out of high school.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Sportster365 on September 01, 2016, 11:35:03 am
That's a tall order and from what I've seen so far I don't think he's as good as Alex Collins was coming in out of high school.

Of course not. Do you even think he'll break the 2-deep this year or will he get beat out by Damon Mitchell and Juan Day this year and next?

Smh

This is my non-signature signature.

Mr. Barnett (rbarnet424)

since we haven't really seen anything yet its probably safe to say nobody knows...but that is not what Coach B said when he said he is the best looking back he has seen on film.

PanamaHOG

longpig

Quote from: Mr. Barnett (rbarnet424) on September 01, 2016, 11:41:45 am
since we haven't really seen anything yet its probably safe to say nobody knows...but that is not what Coach B said when he said he is the best looking back he has seen on film.

Exactly, barring unseen circumstances the kid is going to be absolutely phenomenal beginning at some point this season.  It won't be a surprise if he comes on strong sooner than later and goes for 800 or more.  Our passing game strength will probably take more of his touches than other RBs.
Don't be scared, be smart.

Biggus Piggus

What have you seen? Nothing. Whaley is faster than Collins. He is 5-11, 216, same size Collins was as a junior. Whaley was recruited by Alabama, Ole Miss, Georgia, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Texas, OU, Notre Dame, Stanford, Miami and many others.

Collins chose Arkansas over Miami, Florida State, Florida and Wisconsin.
[CENSORED]!

factchecker

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 01, 2016, 11:56:25 am
What have you seen? Nothing. Whaley is faster than Collins. He is 5-11, 216, same size Collins was as a junior. Whaley was recruited by Alabama, Ole Miss, Georgia, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Texas, OU, Notre Dame, Stanford, Miami and many others.

I agree.

The fact that he was committed to Georgia before flipping to us is all I need for evidence of his talent.  They've done pretty well at scouting that position over the years.  However, you can add the fact that Coach Bielema said Whaley was the most talented running back that he ever recruited and I think we have enough pre-season evidence to believe Whaley will have a solid freshman season.

The most encouraging part to me is not his highlights it's his character.  He comes from a family of athletes and has a strong support system.  Everyone who scouted Whaley says he is a high character, hard working kid.  We probably won't have to worry about him being suspended for a half because he was late to team meetings or missed a workout.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hawgwash

I seem to recall Coach B saying Devwah requested a change in roommate assignments because his first roommate wasn't as dedicated as Devwah, or something along those lines.  Anyone know who he was talking about?

PonderinHog

Quote from: hawgwash on September 01, 2016, 12:15:27 pm
I seem to recall Coach B saying Devwah requested a change in roommate assignments because his first roommate wasn't as dedicated as Devwah, or something along those lines.  Anyone know who he was talking about?
Don't wanna know.

factchecker

September 01, 2016, 12:21:08 pm #36 Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 12:51:48 pm by factchecker
Quote from: hawgwash on September 01, 2016, 12:15:27 pm

Probably other freshmen.  That is not really an indictment of the freshmen but rather a endorsement of Whaley.  Freshmen on campus are easily distracted, homesick, and unmotivated due to being redshirted etc.  Look at Randy Ramsey.  It took him being dismissed for him to realize his mistakes.  Thankfully he decided to come back and earn his scholly.

It can take some players all the way up to the senior year for it to finally click for them to devote their time to football.  The fact that Whaley wanted to be around more focused players is awesome. 
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

RaisinHog

Collins had plaid football for like 2 years when he came here coach B said he has the best film of any high school player he has recruited...

Uncle Remus

He hits full speed after about three steps.  That makes him really dangerous due to the fact that you do have to take the perfect angle to run him down.  He doesn't have the top end speed that Holliday at LSU had, but he's fast enough that a poor angle will cost you 6 points.

King Kong

I thought his Hs film was better than AC's. Not that it matters as it is a about how well it translates at the College level.

JayBell

Quote from: longpig on September 01, 2016, 11:34:11 amWhaley will be praised and relied on more by our coaching staff as he becomes a more proven and reliable pass blocker and every down back, like Walker and Williams.  He just got here.  This staff isn't going to push Walker and Williams aside and put him on a pedestal for big runs, it will be for learning the play book and picking up blocks, among other things.

They weren't exactly shy about praising Collins early on, nor have they held off from talking about Agim and Capps.

The Kig

Devwah....NO.  Devwow!
Poker Porker

Dominicanhog

He doesn't resemble AC at all to me.. he reminds me of Johnathan Williams but with a 4th gear..

We can only hope he's as good AC and/or JW ..if so, we've hit the jackpot ...  :razorback:

Uncle Remus

Quote from: Dominicanhog on September 01, 2016, 01:26:23 pm
He doesn't resemble AC at all to me.. he reminds me of Johnathan Williams but with a 4th gear..

We can only hope he's as good AC and/or JW ..if so, we've hit the jackpot ...  :razorback:

He is a more graceful runner(if that makes sense...) than AC was.  AC always had those choppy feet and Devwah's film looks like he glides on the field.  I do love that he knows how to use that "truck stick" too!

Mr. Barnett (rbarnet424)

With CBB sometimes its more about what he doesn't say than what he does.

With a few exceptions when he is clearly trying to answer questions about Austin or RWIII he typically will hype up a player doing things right to push the others who should be further ahead

To me he mentions Cole Kelley to push the other QBs.

He mentions Kraus and Grayson to push CJ And Will.

My guess is that in a way he wants to push Bijhon and maybe others by including Austin ( by his own merit).

PanamaHOG

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: The Kig on September 01, 2016, 01:23:17 pm
Devwah....NO.  Devwow!
I expect we hear that several times before this kid is done on the hill.  I like it.

JayBell

Quote from: Mr. Barnett (rbarnet424) on September 01, 2016, 01:30:11 pmWith CBB sometimes its more about what he doesn't say than what he does.

With a few exceptions when he is clearly trying to answer questions about Austin or RWIII he typically will hype up a player doing things right to push the others who should be further ahead

To me he mentions Cole Kelley to push the other QBs.

He mentions Kraus and Grayson to push CJ And Will.

My guess is that in a way he wants to push Bijhon and maybe others by including Austin ( by his own merit).

Good points.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: RaisinHog on September 01, 2016, 12:38:32 pm
Collins had plaid football for like 2 years when he came here coach B said he has the best film of any high school player he has recruited...
He did?

hogcard1964

Quote from: Dominicanhog on September 01, 2016, 01:26:23 pm

Isn't he bigger than AC?

Dominicanhog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 01, 2016, 03:02:27 pm
Isn't he bigger than AC?

I think they are pretty close.... 5-11ish... 215/220 but not sure..