Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Your first and most recent Razorback game

Started by orvillesghost, August 24, 2016, 09:23:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominicanhog

Quote from: greenie on August 24, 2016, 10:31:05 pm
Sept 17, 1977 - beat Oklahoma State in War Memorial, 28-6, Ben Cowins put it on 'em

2016 Liberty Bowl

:razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

OSU 1977 was also my first game, Terry Miller was a Heisman candidate and we kept him bottled up for the most part and Cowins did have a big game... that was Calcagni, Scanlon was the next year?

2014 UAB ....

bphi11ips

Not sure of the first.  The first I remember is Texas Tech in LR in 1967. 

Liberty Bowl was the last.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

GuvHog

Quote from: Dominicanhog on August 25, 2016, 09:19:41 am
OSU 1977 was also my first game, Terry Miller was a Heisman candidate and we kept him bottled up for the most part and Cowins did have a big game... that was Calcagni, Scanlon was the next year?

2014 UAB ....

Yep, 1977 was Lou Holtz's best season as Head Hog. It was the year they went to the Orange Bowl and beat Oklahoma.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Jackrabbit Hog

Nov. 5, 1966:  Arkansas 31, Rice 20 in Little Rock.  Dad took me to the last Little Rock game that year and I didn't miss another one for about 20something years.  I had just turned 6.

November 27, 2015:  Arkansas 28, Missouri 3 in Fayetteville.  Cold and drizzly the whole dang game. 

Would have gone to the Liberty Bowl since it was in our back yard, but we were on vacation and had to watch it on TV in a sports bar.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

allredhog

1960 Little Rock Porkers 3, Rice 0
2016 Memphis Razorbacks 45, Kansas State 23
A redhead married a redhead and had redheaded children and all are HOGS!

jkstock04

Can't remember who we played my first game I attended. I do remember that day but not any other details. Was 6 or 7 years old was probably year 1987 or 1988. How do y'all remember that in detail?

Last game would've been last home game last year....Mizzou. I haven't missed a home game in 10 years.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Hawginj

1989 shootout Houston
2016 Liberty Bowl both fun times
I cant wait for the 3rd.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: jkstock04 on August 25, 2016, 09:59:19 am
Can't remember who we played my first game I attended. I do remember that day but not any other details. Was 6 or 7 years old was probably year 1987 or 1988. How do y'all remember that in detail?

Google is your friend.

In my case, I sure didn't remember the exact date but I do remember who we played and what season it was, and I remember that it was not long after my sixth birthday because it was meant to be sort of a belated present for me, and also a test run to see if I was old enough to join the season ticket for the next year.  Needless to say, I passed the test.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

snoblind

September 26, 1964 Tulsa 31-22 

Geez, only beat Tulsa by 9.  Can you imagine the reaction HV would have had?  No way we are any good that year.

LSU last year

scooby21322

First:  2007 Troy
Last:  2015-UT-Martin

Neither first or last are all that interesting  :-\

hogsanity

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

goodguytex

Quote from: snoblind on August 25, 2016, 10:03:20 am

Geez, only beat Tulsa by 9.  Can you imagine the reaction HV would have had?  No way we are any good that year.

LSU last year
ISWYDT!! ;) ;D

Hogeration

Early 80s against Ole Miss in war memorial.

HuntsvilleHawgFan

First for me was Texas in the Rock in 1971
last was Mizzou 2015

Bogghawg

1st - Lost to Texas Tech 30-7 in Little Rock 1976
Most recent - Lost to Texas Tech 35-24 in Fayetteville 2015

Really?  We have only lost to Texas Tech 14 times since we started playing them in 1957 and my first and most recent games were both watching losses to them.
Never Attempt To Teach a Pig To Sing; It Wastes Your Time and Annoys the Pig

bphi11ips

LSU last year

Tulsa was pretty good back in the day, especially when it was a boom town.  The Hurricane played in at least one Sugar Bowl in the late '40s, I think against Georgia Tech with Frank Broyles at QB.  The Hurricane beat us in 1967 and again in 1971.  We were bad in 1967, but '71 is the year we famously got screwed in the Liberty Bowl against Tennessee.  We squeaked by Tulsa 21-20 the next year.  Drew Pearson played for those teams, and Steve Largent followed him.  Tulsa had some dangerous receivers back then.

Tulsa scared Frank Broyles to death.

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Elvis P Hogg

Quote from: Hawginj on August 25, 2016, 10:02:27 am
1989 shootout Houston
I cant wait for the 3rd.

Same for me as well.  :razorback: :razorback:

Mulberry Squeezins

Quote from: Dominicanhog on August 25, 2016, 09:19:41 am

2014 UAB ....

Miller was a good back but we shut him down.  We had some Okie Light fans sitting by us.  First time Ben busted a long run, I turned to them and told them he's our Terry Miller.  They didn't appreciate the comparison. 

Mulberry Squeezins

LSU last year

In 1976 We lost to Tulsa and every TV station in Tulsa dubbed in footage of the game and fed it into local commercials they produced.  I'm sure HV would've taken it calm

NoogaHog

First was 1989 vs. Texas in Fayetteville, a loss. Had seats front row, field level bleachers in the end zone. Couldn't see the play if someone was standing up on the field. My dad watched the game at home and saw me mugging for the camera in a crowd shot and then the TV station cut away for a news report.

Last was 2007 vs. Tennessee in Knoxville, a loss. I was really excited prior to this game. DMAC, Felix, and Hillis against the Vols who seemed had not stopped a runner all season. They showed up flat and it was over by halftime.

I moved out of state in 1994 and haven't been able to go too many games.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

GTOWNHOG

Ole Miss in October of 1960  Little Rock
Missouri in Fayetteville November 2015

Did not go to the Liberty Bowl in January of 2016 due to my lovely wife's illness.   :razorback:
Good luck to ALL of our Razorback teams!!

snoblind

Quote from: bphi11ips on August 25, 2016, 11:51:18 am
Tulsa was pretty good back in the day, especially when it was a boom town.  The Hurricane played in at least one Sugar Bowl in the late '40s, I think against Georgia Tech with Frank Broyles at QB.  The Hurricane beat us in 1967 and again in 1971.  We were bad in 1967, but '71 is the year we famously got screwed in the Liberty Bowl against Tennessee.  We squeaked by Tulsa 21-20 the next year.  Drew Pearson played for those teams, and Steve Largent followed him.  Tulsa had some dangerous receivers back then.

Tulsa scared Frank Broyles to death.

Went into 4th quarter leading 20-0.  IIRC, it was Pearson who threw 3 TD passes.

I think it was 67 when I first saw the Hogs lose in person. 

Hollywood_HOGan45

First: Arkansas 53 TCU 10 in 1988. Only memory is the crazy horned frog mascot directing our band as the beatdown was happening. I was six years old.

Most recent:
Miss state 2015. Heart wrenching finish after BA played so well. Im a HUGE CBB fan but that loss was on him. Should have let BA finish the comeback instead of putting into the hands of our horrible FG unit with a frosh kicker.

Next: TCU in Ft worth.

DLUXHOG

1974 - Tulsa at Fayetteville.... Hogs won 60-0 (my first of many, years on the Hill)
2014 - Ole Miss at Fayetteville.... Hogs won 30-0
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Hollywood_HOGan45

GingerHog

2001 Vs #9 South Carolina at War Memorial (Carlos Hall FG block) 10-7 Hogs

2016 Liberty Bowl Vs Kansas State 45-23 Hogs

I was lucky enough to have that South Carolina game be my first Razorback experience in person. I will never forget that game. Woo Pig  :razorback:

83grad

caneybuck

1955 Cotton Bowl

2015 Missouri

A post from an old guy!!! 

ricepig

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on August 25, 2016, 05:28:41 pm
Was anyone at the 69 Texas game?

Yes, my oldest brother was a sophomore up there. It was as gut wrenching loss as I can remember. Being 11, I soon forgot about, lol.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: ricepig on August 25, 2016, 06:45:41 pm
Yes, my oldest brother was a sophomore up there. It was as gut wrenching loss as I can remember. Being 11, I soon forgot about, lol.

I cannot imagine being at an event like that in Fay. Closest event I have attended that comes close is our game against Bama in 2010 when we were 10 and they were 1.  Yet another heartbreaker.

hobhog

Honestly cannot remember first game, but was late 60s early 70s. I remember a Baylor game in Fayetteville around early 70s when it snowed, but that wasn't my first game.

Last game was MSU last year. Go to most in state.

PossumFan

Can't remember first because I was too young, but I'm sure it was at WMS in the late '50ss or early '60s... probably vs. Tulsa or Oklahoma State.

Most recent, 2013 at Ole Miss. My first tailgating experience in the Grove, and FWIW, I think it's overrated.

Razzorduck

Opener in '80. Tulsa? Last game T. Tech in Lubbock 2014.
I watched the greatness of Holtz and Sutton

Deep Shoat

Born 1970.

1st TV Game (that I remember) - 1977 #2 Texas vs #3 Arkansas at Fayetteville.  I already hated UT, and a Razorback fan was born that day.  Arkansas lost 13-9 and I was miserable.

1st Game - 1981 Arkansas vs TAMU in College Station (I grew up in East Texas).  Brad Taylor became my favorite Razorback that day when he led us to a 4th quarter 10-7 win over Gary Kubiak.  Billy Ray Smith was a monster.

1995 Arkansas/South Carolina in Fayeteville.  Madre Hill runs for 6 TD's, 'nuff said.

Last Game - 2015 UT Martin. The game I knew our pass D was not turning it around.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Wildhog

Can't remember my first game.  I was real little. 

Last game was the Liberty Bowl.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

greghog

Quote from: tusksincolorado on August 24, 2016, 09:33:43 pm
1971 War Memorial Stadium Arkansas 31 Texas 7 in a rainstorm

That was my second game.  I was 8.  At that time (at least for my folks) you "dressed up" to go out to a game.  I was in my Sunday best, including a sports coat.  Got soaked.  I refused to leave until the game was over!!!

rowdyhog

1st game - 1970 vs Stanford & Jim Plunkett. Hogs lost 31 - 28 I believe

Last game was 2016 Liberty Bowl.  Fun times

Can't wait until Sept 3rd. I am a La Tech grad but I am all HOG.  WPS

Tejano Jawg

First game = 1971 vs TCU with my dad. Joe Ferguson bombed the Frogs into submission. (Hint.)
Last game =  Last Thanksgiving weekend vs Mizzou. Boom.

Quote from: Hawginj on August 25, 2016, 10:02:27 am
1989 shootout Houston
I cant wait for the 3rd.

Dang dude...you picked a good one to start with.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

snoblind

Yep.

I've told this story here before.  Billy Graham and his son sat directly behind us.  His son was a big Texas fan.  Came really close to punching him when they scored to go 15-14.  I was 10.  He was probably 10-12.

razorback355

1975 Ar vs Air Force 35-0 Hogs.. Ted Darragh & Mettice Lacey were good enough to let me tag along as a kid.

TheRazorback500

1st-Sept 21, 1968 Hogs 32 OSU 15. Last- Miracle on Markham.

:razorback:
Do you wanna get Rocked?

GTOWNHOG

I was a FRESHMAN at the University of Arkansas in 1969.  Yes, I attended the "Big Shootout".  I still have the game program and managed to get it autographed by Frank Broyles  AND Darrell Royal. 
Good luck to ALL of our Razorback teams!!

DLUXHOG

Quote from: caneybuck on August 25, 2016, 06:35:50 pm
1955 Cotton Bowl

2015 Missouri

A post from an old experienced guy!!! 

FIFY... ;)
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Wildhog on August 25, 2016, 08:52:32 pm
Can't remember my first game.  I was real little

Last game was the Liberty Bowl.

Don't try to fool us.  You can't remember because you were in a purple haze.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: rowdyhog on August 25, 2016, 09:02:18 pm
1st game - 1970 vs Stanford & Jim Plunkett. Hogs lost 31 - 28 I believe

That game doesn't get a lot of mention, but it was a real heartbreaker and disappointment.  We were coming off the '69 season and a near miss of a national championship, with just about everybody coming back.  We knew Stanford had a quarterback who was supposed to be pretty good, but that's about all.  We never gave the possibility of an opening loss a thought.

Got sick of hearing Plunkett to Vataha over and over and over that day.  With time running out we drove inside the Stanford 10 yard line and everybody expected we were going to pull it out.  I was sitting in the north end zone (where our family had season tickets for years), and I'll never forget on 4th down Montgomery scrambling to get away from the rush, Dicus breaking open in the corner of the endzone - right in front of me.  He was waving his arms like a madman, but Montgomery never saw him.  What a bummer.

Mr. Barnett (rbarnet424)

Since I'm not from Arkansas or the US i didn't know much college football prior to attending the UA.

first game was 1999  vs. Tennessee prior to expansion could not get student tickets as they were limited but my intro to IE class gave extra credit if you volunteered selling programs during the 1st half of the game. Afterwards you could find a spot and watch the 2nd half. Glad I went as that was a pretty historic day with the goal posts coming down and was hooked on the HOGS ever since.

Last game in person was 2003 vs. Florida at DWRRS ...yep one of the greatest comebacks ever and also the Bua roughing the passer game  =(

ill be back,...
PanamaHOG
Representing the Razorbacks down in PTY

Pigsknuckles

1972   USC   Lost 31-10

2015   Mississippi State - Don't want to talk about it.

2015 Missouri  Won 28-3

Still don't want to talk about that da&@ MS game.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

FraggleHog

First Game - Arkansas vs. Tennessee - Stoerner to Lucas and the goal posts duct taped to the Brew Pub

Last Game - Arkansas vs. Mississippi St last year...  >:(
Calling the Hogs from DFW

redleg

My first Razorback game was Nov 1, 1980 in Little Rock. Unfortunately it was a rare loss to Rice, 16-17.
My most recent game was Oct 18, 2014 in Little Rock. It too was a loss, this time to Georgia, 32-45.

The last time I went to a game in Fayetteville was the 2001 victory over Mississippi State.

Most Central Arkansas and South Arkansas fans don't have the cash to go all the way to NW Arkansas for a Hog game. With the Razorbacks most likely not playing in Little Rock after 2018, you will see that even more. Fans in South Arkansas are feeling abandoned, and I don't blame them. Then again, I can't blame the UA for wanting to maximize their cash flow by playing in a bigger stadium and retaining all of the concession revenues instead of sharing them with War Memorial. It's just good business sense. I hope though, that the Hogs see fit to throw Little Rock a bone every 5 years or so, especially since War Memorial kept the Hogs relevant throughout the "60's, "70's, and "80's, seeing as how WMS was a bigger and better stadium at that time.

:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

GuvHog

Quote from: Mr. Barnett (rbarnet424) on August 26, 2016, 09:11:07 am
Since I'm not from Arkansas or the US i didn't know much college football prior to attending the UA.

first game was 1999  vs. Tennessee prior to expansion could not get student tickets as they were limited but my intro to IE class gave extra credit if you volunteered selling programs during the 1st half of the game. Afterwards you could find a spot and watch the 2nd half. Glad I went as that was a pretty historic day with the goal posts coming down and was hooked on the HOGS ever since.

That was my most memorable game. The score was exactly the same as it was the year before after the Stoerover but this time the Hogs were leading. After what happened the year before, it was an extremely beautiful sight to watch Stoerner cradle the ball safely in his arms and take a knee to end the game. Pure Poetic Justice!!

I'll never forget watching the locker room celebration on TV later that night. Frank congratulated the DC Keith Burns for calling a great defensive game and all Burns could do was stand there and cry tears of joy. He was so overcome that all he could say while sobbing was "I just wanted to win". It almost made me cry too.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!