Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Greg McElroy just picked Arkansas to

Started by theFlyingHog, August 22, 2016, 07:31:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

theFlyingHog

August 22, 2016, 07:31:45 pm Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 12:23:48 am by theFlyingHog
Be the only team to beat Bama this year.

PorkSoda

McElroy loves him some hogs.  not sure why, but I'll take it.

for better or worse, I almost get the feeling that CBB has been building this team around beating one team in particular.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

flagstaffhog

Go HOGS Go!

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: PorkSoda on August 22, 2016, 07:35:03 pm

Dad worked for Jerry in Dallas and Greg grew up a Razorback fan.

We never offered as we landed a 5 star from Springdale that year

Pork Ranger

razorbacker3

He is a Bret Bielema fan as well. He sees how CBB is building a contender the right way and he admires him.

20hog11

They just predicted that we will go 9-3 losing to LSU, A&M, and TCU in the SEC Network preview.

Rayzback

On the show with Stoerner? I know he can't be a homer on TV, but I hope we can at least split the texas games.
Mellow is the man who knows what he's been missin

trashcan maN

I wonder if our DB's playing a new technique this year will change how we fare against spread teams..

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: 20hog11 on August 22, 2016, 08:04:02 pm
They just predicted that we will go 9-3 losing to LSU, A&M, and TCU in the SEC Network preview.

We won't lose to TCU short of a complete break down of our run game. And we won't lose to A&M if we can block their front four in both passing and rushing.
Go Hogs Go!

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on August 22, 2016, 07:38:27 pm

FYI...Rivals had Greg as 3-star...with offers from Bama, TCU, Stanford, North Carolina, BYU, Colorado, & UNLV.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

BoarnSupremacy

Wont lose to TAM again this year.  That cant happen.

20hog11

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 22, 2016, 08:14:03 pm
We won't lose to TCU short of a complete break down of our run game. And we won't lose to A&M if we can block their front four in both passing and rushing.

Just watched the shortened replay of the A&M game. Our secondary will determine how we fare in that game. Kirk killed us in that game last year.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: 20hog11 on August 22, 2016, 08:21:00 pm
Just watched the shortened replay of the A&M game. Our secondary will determine how we fare in that game. Kirk killed us in that game last year.
And wasn't he just a true freshman last year?

If our pass D can be at least middle of the pack in the conference then we should be much improved, with good shots at the likes of TCU and aggie

HogWildBison2011

Greg has said a few times that the toughest road environment he has ever played in was against AR in 2010 I believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCsQr5i-xnQ

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: 20hog11 on August 22, 2016, 08:21:00 pm

You know, a lot of our poor coverage last year resulted from mis-reads, resulting in mis-alignments, blown assignments and mismatches in terms of coverage. Think about the times that we had a DB trying to stretch their coverage down the field with the safety being late or out of position to provide "over the top" help. In at least one case that I remember (and I am sure there were more) we wound up with LB's trying to cover WR's down the field and that is an alignment problem associated with reads and missed calls.

I am hoping that Rhoades expertise and coaching in this area is going to answer and resolve a lot of these problems.
Go Hogs Go!

20hog11

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 22, 2016, 08:34:55 pm
You know, a lot of our poor coverage last year resulted from mis-reads, resulting in mis-alignments, blown assignments and mismatches in terms of coverage. Think about the times that we had a DB trying to stretch their coverage down the field with the safety being late or out of position to provide "over the top" help. In at least one case that I remember (and I am sure there were more) we wound up with LB's trying to cover WR's down the field and that is an alignment problem associated with reads and missed calls.

I am hoping that Rhoades expertise and coaching in this area is going to answer and resolve a lot of these problems.

Yea, I can think of one specific play where Greenlaw got stuck covering a wr and got burned in the A&M game. Like you, I'm very hopeful that Rhoads will improve the secondary.

reddogjcss

Greg is an Honary hog BUT HES RIGHT WE WILL BEAT BAMA ON THE HILL THIS YEAR

Hogdomer

If given the choice, I would MUCH rather beat TCU and A&M and lose to Bama.  Losing to A&M five straight years and to a big 12 team two years in a row is hard if you live in Texas like me.

blu

"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

The Great Hambino

Quote from: Hogdomer on August 22, 2016, 09:57:31 pm
If given the choice, I would MUCH rather beat TCU and A&M and lose to Bama.  Losing to A&M five straight years and to a big 12 team two years in a row is hard if you live in Texas like me.

Undefeated #1 Alabama falling to undefeated #12 Arkansas in Fayetteville works for me.

RockyMtnHog

Quote from: The Great Hambino on August 22, 2016, 10:18:11 pm
Undefeated #1 Alabama falling to undefeated #12 Arkansas in Fayetteville works for me.

and RRS would be SRO. It would be the greatest victory in recent Razorback History.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on August 22, 2016, 07:38:27 pm

I never knew McElroy had any connection to us, big or small...interesting. Still, he's excellent on the SEC Network. Any props he gives us doesn't seem arbitrary, but thought out. Good to have him in our corner, when we deserve it.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

GrizzlyRider07

What did they predict us to go last season?
Dont Talk, Just Act.
Don't Say, Just Show.
Don't Promise, Just Prove!

Michael_E_Davis

for better or worse, I almost get the feeling that CBB has been building this team around beating one team in particular.

I hope he isn't building the team just to beat Alabama.  We have eleven other games on the schedule.
"I struggled through many problems in my life, most of which never happened." -Unknown

The Kig

Quote from: GirlHog on August 22, 2016, 10:14:33 pm
If we can win 9, we can win 12.

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.
Poker Porker

PORKULATOR

well that's how you do it. You set yourself to beat the best and then hope you've filled in the gaps there after.
Wps

I hope Greg McElroy is the smartest MF in Sports media. 😂😅
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

AugustaHog

He knows his stuff.  He correctly assessed our issues with pass D being execution issues and not talent.  If that is true the Rhoads hire can change the game.  That can make a big difference in two of the games GM and Stoerner picked us to lose (TCU/TAMU).  I think if we split those two, there are opportunities to really make this season special. 

FreshHog

Quote from: GrizzlyRider07 on August 22, 2016, 11:24:06 pm
What did they predict us to go last season?

10-2 I think? They're always a bit nicer to everyone on their own preview show.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Michael_E_Davis on August 23, 2016, 12:01:19 am
I hope he isn't building the team just to beat Alabama.  We have eleven other games on the schedule.

Yep, at some point need to start winning against the Texas A&M's and Mississippi State's of the world.

Great that we have won against Ole Miss and LSU the last 2 seasons, but those 2 SEC teams have been poorly coached the last 2 seasons. 

Just a win over both Texas A&M and Mississippi State the last 2 seasons would have sent us to a better Bowl Game, instead of playing in a 3rd rate, 3rd tier Bowl Game against an irrelevant Big 12 team (Texas and Kansas State).

onebadrubi

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on August 23, 2016, 12:23:11 am
Yep, at some point need to start winning against the Texas A&M's and Mississippi State's of the world.

Great that we have won against Ole Miss and LSU the last 2 seasons, but those 2 SEC teams have been poorly coached the last 2 seasons. 

Just a win over both Texas A&M and Mississippi State the last 2 seasons would have sent us to a better Bowl Game, instead of playing in a 3rd rate, 3rd tier Bowl Game against an irrelevant Big 12 team (Texas and Kansas State).

Just a win over bama the last 2 years would have severely raised our bowl status too.  But that doesn't fit what you trying to say now does it.

AugustaHog

I rarely agree with gohogs but he is right that while we upset both LSU and OM we definitely gave away 3/4 of those games to lesser Tamu/MSU teams.  '14 MSU was better than us even though we had our shot.  Last season though we were far better and gave it to them.  Whether there is agenda from him behind all that is beyond me, but it is no doubt fact.  The moment we achieve consistency, will be the moment we arrive.  CBB is getting closer.  WPS!

GoHogs1091

Quote from: onebadrubi on August 23, 2016, 12:28:08 am
Just a win over bama the last 2 years would have severely raised our bowl status too.  But that doesn't fit what you trying to say now does it.

Not as practical of a reality to have won against Alabama the last 2 seasons, unless you get gifted 5 turnovers by Alabama like Ole Miss was the beneficiary of last season.  Even in 2014, Alabama played like garbage in Fayetteville, and we still didn't win against Alabama.

Much more of a practical reality to win against both Texas A&M and Mississippi State the last 2 seasons.  Didn't get it done though, but those should have been won.

It's losses like to Texas A&M and to Mississippi State the last 2 seasons that end up making a Head Coach have to dust off the Resume and send out Resumes.

31to6

Quote from: AugustaHog on August 23, 2016, 12:34:33 am
I rarely agree with gohogs but he is right that while we upset both LSU and OM we definitely gave away 3/4 of those games to lesser Tamu/MSU teams.  '14 MSU was better than us even though we had our shot.  Last season though we were far better and gave it to them.  Whether there is agenda from him behind all that is beyond me, but it is no doubt fact.  The moment we achieve consistency, will be the moment we arrive.  CBB is getting closer.  WPS!
Last year the story was:

Good QB? We played 6 teams with good QBs and lost 5.
Bad QB? We played 7 teams with average to bad QBs and won all of them.

Yes, it helped very much that we were a much better team in November, with an Offense clicking enough to split two shootouts with the two best Qb's we faced, but several of our wins were basically us feeding on teams that struggled to score.

onebadrubi

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on August 23, 2016, 12:40:34 am
Not as practical of a reality to have won against Alabama the last 2 seasons, unless you get gifted 5 turnovers by Alabama like Ole Miss was the beneficiary of last season.  Even in 2014, Alabama played like garbage in Fayetteville, and we still didn't win against Alabama.

Much more of a practical reality to win against both Texas A&M and Mississippi State the last 2 seasons.  Didn't get it done though, but those should have been won.

It's losses like to Texas A&M and to Mississippi State the last 2 seasons that end up making a Head Coach have to dust off the Resume and send out Resumes.

We will destroy ms st this year. Dak was ate us up and Mullen doesn't have that trick up his sleeve. 

I disagree on bama in 2014. We gave them a fight and then our defense started to get its recognition later in the year.  They proved it wasn't just a fluke, we gave that game to bama.

hogfan58

We will win one of these, not both. I'd rather beat Aggie since it's a conference game.
I'm asking you as fans, don't give up on those players, don't give up on us, it's our program, it's the state of Alabama program...it's not one individuals program, so hang in there...

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hogfan58 on August 23, 2016, 07:24:54 am
We will win one of these, not both. I'd rather beat Aggie since it's a conference game.

I think we "can" definitely win both. Gonna have to slow down the A&M DE's and our defense has to show up big time, but we can win both.
Go Hogs Go!

King Kong

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on August 23, 2016, 12:40:34 am

Odd how LSU and Ole Miss aren't poorly coached when they beat every other team in the SEC

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Hogdomer on August 22, 2016, 09:57:31 pm

AMEN!!!!!!!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

younghog

GO HOGS

bigred223

Quote from: King Kong on August 23, 2016, 08:11:13 am
Odd how LSU and Ole Miss aren't poorly coached when they beat every other team in the SEC

Haha weird how that works.

TDHawgs

We will beat Bama this year, it's fate, and yes, with a couple of seconds left on the clock in Razorback heart attack fashion, .. but I think this is finally our year to beat them again.

GuvHog

Quote from: King Kong on August 23, 2016, 08:11:13 am

Oh, poppycock. Those two teams have been coached badly for years. Even with LSU picked by almost every one of the pundits to win the SEC this year, many down there still want Les to be fired.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

The NewEra

I know what you are saying, but let's look at what is being built.  With Dan Enos we now have an offense that's efficient in all phases of the game.  We can run on you or pass on you, depending on which you choose to defend against.  Our skill positions are top notch and the offensive line is built to grind on you.

On the defensive side of the ball we are about three deep with very good talent.  Linebacker is looking up and secondary has to be shored up.

If Bielema can get all of these moving parts working we won't just be able to beat Alabama, but anyone else we would play.  But you have to beat Bama to play for the championship if you are in the West.

hawgrunner

I would like to think your right on this.

Hoggish1

Quote from: theFlyingHog on August 22, 2016, 07:31:45 pm
Be the only team to beat Bama this year.

Saw that.  If he is picking us to beat Alcorn State, then four SEC teams in a row starting with Bama, There is reason we won't beat TCU and A&M too.

Then: The LSU game will be for a trip to Atlanta and a spot in the NC final four...

Hoggish1

McElroy love his some Hogs because he would have gone to Arkansas had he not gone to Bama.  He has publicly said that...

Hoggish1

31to6

A recipe for Alabama based on stout defense and balanced offense works for most of the real powers in the SEC. It is *much* easier to beat a spread team with a stout defense and powerful running game that it is to consistently beat a power football team with finesse.

Finesse/spread teams are high-risk/high-reward. Look at A&M's best season with JFF: beat Bama, but lost *at home* to Florida and LSU. Took a Heisman winning QB to the Cotton Bowl. (great year, but Heisman winners are supposed to win conferences at least). Look at Ole Miss the last two years, they beat Alabama but lost to Florida, LSU, Auburn and got curbstomped by us and TCU.

The real fact of the matter is we need to build a team that can beat Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Florida. That means we must be able to run the ball in a balanced offense and we must be able to stop the run.

With CBB we may win or we may lose, but we will rarely be beaten so badly we are not in the game in the 4th quarter. And as we continue to build 5 years of rolling depth through development and retention we will become consistent and able to let our stars go be stars.

There is a reason that Petrino put so much emphasis on running the ball even though he liked to throw to open up the run. He knew that he needed a running game to hold a lead in the SEC.

This is big boy football. You can build a spread team and hope you line up the right QB, the right schedule and the right lucky breaks to run the table or you can build a power team and consistently improve your competitiveness year over year and move up out of the middle-of-the-pack permanently.

I like the steady approach, personally.