Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

First AP Top 25

Started by soooieman, August 21, 2016, 09:20:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Clemson isn't first with Bama two?

At least we got some votes.
That'll make it easier to break into the top 25 so long as we take care of business on the field.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

soooieman

Can't believe Auburn got more votes than we did.

PonderinHog

About time we caught a break!  Only five top 25 teams on the schedule!   :razorback:

ricepig

Quote from: soooieman on August 21, 2016, 09:24:58 am
Coaches no more, haha.

Seebs

I'll await the poll that matters in a few weeks thank you.  This poll represents the networks and the match ups they are hocking.

May as well be the UPI poll for what it is worth
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Seebs on August 21, 2016, 09:43:00 am
I'll await the poll that matters in a few weeks thank you.  This poll represents the networks and the match ups they are hocking.

May as well be the UPI poll for what it is worth

I don't think it's that bogus.

Man, like to exaggerate much?
So you DON'T  think Bama, Clemson, OU, and Florida State are probably good guesses as to the top teams?
His response to me:
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Overtheroadtruckdriver

Cheating biased media back up to their old tricks.

zane

RIP LSUfan

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Lots of paranoia on here.
His response to me:

soooieman

Sorry for posting, Seebs.

tusksincolorado

OK....just what does Ole Miss have other than Chad Kelly?

Tennessee....not even worth discussing....

And Baylor? Are you kidding me!
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

RaisinHog

Quote from: tusksincolorado on August 21, 2016, 10:18:00 am

Back to back highly ranked recruiting classes?

tusksincolorado

Quote from: RaisinHog on August 21, 2016, 10:31:38 am

Back to back highly ranked recruiting classes?

Crappy coaching.....

Steef

Quote from: soooieman on August 21, 2016, 10:13:14 am
Sorry for posting, Seebs.

Seebs is correct that polls this early are usually just fluff.

otoh....It's FUN to talk about them.   ;)

RaisinHog

Quote from: tusksincolorado on August 21, 2016, 10:35:22 am
Crappy coaching.....

Lol I agree I'm just saying the tallent is there all though they are prolly ranked a lil high ... I also don't agree with TCU being so high I mean they bassically gota replace the same things we do ... but o well

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Steef on August 21, 2016, 10:36:28 am
Seebs is correct that polls this early are usually just fluff.

otoh....It's FUN to talk about them.   ;)

Agreed.
His response to me:

jjdlc

Quote from: soooieman on August 21, 2016, 09:24:58 am

Doesn't surprise me at all.  I'm pretty sure if, heaven forbid, disaster befell them, and they were unable to field a team, they would get more preseason votes than us.

HoopS

Quote from: jjdlc on August 21, 2016, 10:54:42 am
Doesn't surprise me at all.  I'm pretty sure if, heaven forbid, disaster befell them, and they were unable to field a team, they would get more preseason votes than us.
we played them at home and it went to OT before we won. Not like we completely killed them not ended with a way better record. And this year we go there. I can see the logic although I believe we are better.

soooieman

Quote from: HoopS on August 21, 2016, 11:06:14 am
we played them at home and it went to OT before we won. Not like we completely killed them not ended with a way better record. And this year we go there. I can see the logic although I believe we are better.
This is the logic that Bielema was saying that he couldn't stand (last year, last year, etc) nothing about development and current situation. Never mind the fact that they are now starting a 4th string RB and the QB can't throw a 10 yard pass.

popcornhog

Tennessee....not even worth discussing....

And Baylor? Are you kidding me!

I had Tennessee at 11 in my pre season poll that we do with our friends (whoever has the most accurate poll compared to final BCS standings gets $$$).

They return like 17 starters, a veteran QB, have put together consecutive highly ranked classes, and have one of the easiest schedules in the SEC.

Seems reasonable to me. Although I'd love to see them fall flat on their faces again.
WPS

hogman99

Everybody relax.  8)  We take care of TCU on the road and everything will work itself out.

a0ashle

This earlier the formula is over simplified.

40% returning starters
40% recruiting rankings last 3-4 years
10% strength of schedule
10% how many other teams from your conference are already in the top 25 (and not how you think, it's harder for each additional SEC team to make the top 25 in attempt to spread the wealth)

(% are made up to protect the innocent)

Großer Kriegschwein

Muschamp leaving allowed him to punt firing Lashlee last season. If they underachieve this year it will be Lashlee offered up to give Gus another season or two. He may not have a choice but to coach QBs himself if he does that.

But if they win 9 games during the regular season, he'll be safe.
This is my non-signature signature.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on August 21, 2016, 11:25:15 am
Muschamp leaving allowed him to punt firing Lashlee last season. If they underachieve this year it will be Lashlee offered up to give Gus another season or two. He may not have a choice but to coach QBs himself if he does that.

But if they win 9 games during the regular season, he'll be safe.

I was listening to ESPN radio and an expert (Paul Finebaum maybe) explaining how Gus's "hotseat" isn't that hot.
Now if he has another season like last season this year......

He said it'd be hot.
His response to me:

Seebs

Thank you for posting Sooieman - obviously not directed toward you. Every year they crap the bed after about #6.

Houston? TCU?  I have a notion that OU is not a top 4, we will see.

Remember in Jonelle's year we were 8th I believe?   

Preseason polls do not reflect player improvement so when you see the player improvement detailed after week four, the 'out of nowhere' teams emerge. So last year the poll actually did have the four combatants  for the playoffs: 3,5,12 and 19. But the historical unanimous #1 did not. sounds like crapping the bed to me.

Here is last year's poll - OSU unanimous #1

Ranking   Team   First-place votes
1   Ohio State   61
2   TCU   0
3   Alabama   PLAYOFF
4   Baylor   0
5   Michigan State   PLAYOFF
6   Auburn   0
7   Oregon   0
8   USC   0
9   Georgia   0
10   Florida State   0
11   Notre Dame   0
12   Clemson   PLAYOFF
13   UCLA   0
14   LSU   0
15   Arizona State   0
16   Georgia Tech   0
17   Ole Miss   0
18   Arkansas   0
19   Oklahoma   PLAYOFF
20   Wisconsin   0
21   Stanford   0
22   Arizona   0
23   Boise State   0
24   Missouri   0
25   Tennessee   0

2014 Preseason was more spot on so my head just exploded.

Rank   School   Points
1   Florida State (57) PLAYOFF   
2   Alabama (1)   PLAYOFF
3   Oregon (1)    PLAYOFF
4   Oklahoma (1)   
5   Ohio State    PLAYOFF
6   Auburn
7   UCLA   
8   Michigan State
9   South Carolina
10   Baylor
11   Stanford
12   Georgia
13   LSU   
14   Wisconsin   
15   USC   
16   Clemson   
17   Notre Dame   
18   Mississippi   
19   Arizona State   
20   Kansas State   
21   Texas A&M   
22   Nebraska   
23   North Carolina
24   Missouri   
25   Washington   

So I am hoping for more of a 2015 toss up than a chalky 2014.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: popcornhog on August 21, 2016, 11:14:29 am
I had Tennessee at 11 in my pre season poll that we do with our friends (whoever has the most accurate poll compared to final BCS standings gets $$$).

They return like 17 starters, a veteran QB, have put together consecutive highly ranked classes, and have one of the easiest schedules in the SEC.

Seems reasonable to me. Although I'd love to see them fall flat on their faces again.

Maybe against App State in the season opener....

Porked Tongue

Polls are always fun topics.

Arkansas was preseason #10 in 2012.

Smile

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Porked Tongue on August 21, 2016, 12:10:55 pm

Smile

I saw this coming 10-12 posts a ago!
;)
His response to me:

Cinco de Hogo

After you get past #7 just forget about polls until the end of regular season and by then it's pretty self-evident.  The final four and eventual national champion will come out of the top seven so the shuffling furing the season for those teams will be interesting.

SRV

Quote from: Porked Tongue on August 21, 2016, 12:10:55 pm

Smile
;D
We've got entirely too many troublemakers here. Too many 40-year-old adolescents, felons, power drinkers and trustees of modern chemistry.....

hawginbigd1

Polls should be banned until after week 4. When we open 4-0 we would be ranked somewhere in the top 8, if they were. But now you watch we will be somewhere between 13-16 this year when that happens.

HoopS

Quote from: soooieman on August 21, 2016, 11:12:39 am
This is the logic that Bielema was saying that he couldn't stand (last year, last year, etc) nothing about development and current situation. Never mind the fact that they are now starting a 4th string RB and the QB can't throw a 10 yard pass.
I haven't seen their depth chart. They do recruit good athletes like we do. All teams develop.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on August 21, 2016, 01:07:24 pm
Polls should be banned until after week 4. When we open 4-0 we would be ranked somewhere in the top 8, if they were. But now you watch we will be somewhere between 13-16 this year when that happens.

I agree with you about polls. They should wait at least 4 weeks. I really think they should wait until half the season is over. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

theFlyingHog

Quote from: popcornhog on August 21, 2016, 11:14:29 am

What is this, 1999?  :P

GoHogs1091

Alabama:

New unproven starting Quarterback.

No returning proven bell-cow Running Back.

Lost their very good proven Offensive Center (Ryan Kelly).

Defensive Line won't be as deep as last season.

Lost their probable best Middle Linebacker since Saban has been their Coach (Reggie Ragland).

Lost their best Cornerback (Cyrus Jones).

Lost their many times game momentum changing Punt Returner (Cyrus Jones)

Lost their Secondary Coach (Mel Tucker) who made their Secondary play at a higher level in the regular season (their Secondary did get exposed when they finally faced a good Offense in the National Championship game).

Doesn't look like they should be a #1 ranked team.

ricepig

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on August 21, 2016, 04:10:31 pm
Alabama:

New unproven starting Quarterback.

No returning proven bell-cow Running Back.

Lost their very good proven Offensive Center (Ryan Kelly).

Defensive Line won't be as deep as last season.

Lost their probable best Middle Linebacker since Saban has been their Coach (Reggie Ragland).

Lost their best Cornerback (Cyrus Jones).

Lost their many times game momentum changing Punt Returner (Cyrus Jones)

Lost their Secondary Coach (Mel Tucker) who made their Secondary play at a higher level in the regular season (their Secondary did get exposed when they finally faced a good Offense in the National Championship game).

Doesn't look like they should be a #1 ranked team.

Maybe you need to send that to the AP voters, no one here cares.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: ricepig on August 21, 2016, 04:25:45 pm

Since when did you start speaking for all of Hogville?

I am not going to get into it with you today.  It would be more productive for me to go outside and argue with a tree stump than to argue with you.

PonderinHog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on August 21, 2016, 04:30:00 pm

I am not going to get into it with you today.  It would be more productive for me to go outside and argue with a tree stump than to argue with you.
What team, pray tell, do you think should be ranked above them.  Not that anyone cares.

ricepig

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on August 21, 2016, 04:30:00 pm

They day you started speaking for golf design, why?

GoHogs1091

Quote from: PonderinHog on August 21, 2016, 04:32:54 pm
What team, pray tell, do you think should be ranked above them.  Not that anyone cares.

Alabama is one of our opponents.  Seems to me the fact that they are one of our opponents and the fact that Alabama props up the rest of the Conference (basically has been over the last few years the Alabama and the 13 team elite wannabes Conference) means that it is relevant where they are ranked and it is relevant why they shouldn't be ranked where they are.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: PonderinHog on August 21, 2016, 04:32:54 pm

Clemson?

I also think LSU may unthrone Bama this year.

Yeah, yeah....I know.
Poor QB play, etc.

I think Miles opens up the offense some.
I think Miles knows he's on a short leash and the offense will be improved.
His response to me:

trashcan maN

Quote from: ricepig on August 21, 2016, 04:25:45 pm
I actually thought his post was the most informative of the thread. Thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

Steef

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on August 21, 2016, 04:59:06 pm
Clemson?

I also think LSU may unthrone Bama this year.

Yeah, yeah....I know.
Poor QB play, etc.

I think Miles opens up the offense some.
I think Miles knows he's on a short leash and the offense will be improved.

You're assuming Miles CAN improve.

Bacon_Bitz

jackflash

nobody believes in our defense outside the state of Arkansas. until we show them one were not going to get much respect

hawg IQ

Quote from: soooieman link=topic=615684.msg10398032#msg1039803date=1471789259
http://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings?ex_cid=espnapi_public

Something that just jumps out at you is preseason, Georgia is ranked 16 th and 18 th, I kept thinking why would you fire your coach for having that kind of talent?

go hogs go !

Hogwild

The Great Hambino

To me, the biggest wtfmoment is Washington. People say they return their defense, the best D in the PAC12, but put just about any SEC team in the PAC and they have the best D. Missouri would be a top 15 team in the PAC12.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: hawg IQ on August 21, 2016, 06:36:46 pm
Something that just jumps out at you is preseason, Georgia is ranked 16 th and 18 th, I kept thinking why would you fire your coach for having that kind of talent?

It's like beating a dead horse. Mark Richt had plenty of opportunities to take Georgia to the top of the east.  Instead the last 4 years he lost the conference to Missouri twice and a Florida team that had almost 0 offense the last half of the season. 

Mark Richt brought in top 10 classes almost every year he was there and his best year closest ever to making it to a national championship game he loses to a Ron zook Florida team that I believe went 7-5 or 8-4 that year.  Richt is a slightly above average coach that was sitting in one of the top spots in the nation for recruiting.  He is a nice guy, but eventually you gotta cut ties if you are wanting to get a national championship or at least play for one.

If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?