Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kelley as the real #2?

Started by Porked Tongue, August 20, 2016, 05:14:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

longpig

Quote from: ShadowHawg on August 21, 2016, 02:05:27 am
You could tell Enos was not impressed with the QBs on campus by all the transfers they tried to get to come here.

Yep. That, his comments since bowl prep, inconsistent practice and scrimmage performance................. 
Don't be scared, be smart.

Porked Tongue

I don't see this discussion as a fight or argument.  Maybe some do.  We're just talking here.

As I alluded to before having this discussion is a strong indication of how good AA is doing and what seems like universal acceptance of that fact.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Would someone indulge me and possibly explain why Ty Storey is having a hard time transitioning to the SEC......Assuming he IS having difficulty.

Too big a competition gap from Charleston?
Doesn't have the competitive fire?

I'm curious because he was "It" coming out of HS.

My brother knows his Dad quite well, so this is a little more than morbid curiosity.

PM me even.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

ricepig

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on August 21, 2016, 09:36:27 am
Would someone indulge me and possibly explain why Ty Storey is having a hard time transitioning to the SEC......Assuming he IS having difficulty.

Too big a competition gap from Charleston?
Doesn't have the competitive fire?

I'm curious because he was "It" coming out of HS.

My brother knows his Dad quite well, so this is a little more than morbid curiosity.

PM me even.

I think it's a big jump from about anywhere to the SEC, it doesn't surprise me at QB.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: ricepig on August 21, 2016, 09:41:38 am
I think it's a big jump from about anywhere to the SEC, it doesn't surprise me at QB.

Me either, but I was hoping for "insider" type info.
His response to me:
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

ricepig

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: ricepig on August 21, 2016, 09:48:41 am
Ask your brother??

That would be an awkward discussion for two people that only know each other through football.

That would've been my suggestion as well to you though.
His response to me:

farmhawg

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 20, 2016, 05:18:27 pm
No kidding. Red shirting a #2 doesn't make sense. I don't remember ever hearing of that happening.
Are we expecting AA to play every snap? If so, they are not very optimistic about the year.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

ricepig

Quote from: farmhawg on August 21, 2016, 10:25:48 am
Are we expecting AA to play every snap? If so, they are not very optimistic about the year.

If it's just mop up work, why waste a year? BA played almost every snap last year.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on August 20, 2016, 06:38:33 pm
Not worried at all.  I simply think it's an interesting topic. 

If you think that's interesting you should have just Steven Hill..............
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

tophawg19

Peavey and AA can both use the whole play book . storey might be able to. with the others you are going to have to cut it back. Kelley hasn't had the time yet and still forces the ball too much,. CBB pushes ball safety far to hard to risk him to the wolves yet. Coach likes upper classmen for a reason.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

I agree that AA will play longer than necessary in every game that we might have a decent lead in way past halftime.  BB really doesn't put much importance in the #2 QB.  I promise he has more knowledge about who he believes will be 3rd and 4th string RB than he does the #2 QB.  He also loves O-linemen and likely can tell you far more about every O-lineman on the team than he can tell you about #2 QB.  If whomever is #2 can enter a blow out game (in either direction) late in the game and just hand the damn thing off and not stumble and fall down, then that QB is serviceable.  If a true freshman ends up as #2, it says something about our ability to evaluate the QB position and what it says is not pretty.  I just hope we don't learn that Derby actually has another year and wants to come back, because then, I can tell you precisely who the #2 QB for the upcoming season will be.

Großer Kriegschwein

Need to quit hittin the pipe.

CBB knew '13 would be rebuilding from the inside out. Austin didn't play that year because he didn't want to burn his shirt, primarily because he can add. After Brandon graduated, he didn't want only one year out of Austin. It would have limited his options for the future. If you are an anti-BA/AA then it would be something to complain about, otherwise, it is a non issue.

Derby did what was asked of him. Expectations are much higher now than '13. I don't suspect we'll burn Kelley's shirt unless there is a very good reason.
This is my non-signature signature.

jjdlc

Quote from: tophawg19 on August 21, 2016, 10:35:57 am
Peavey and AA can both use the whole play book . storey might be able to. with the others you are going to have to cut it back. Kelley hasn't had the time yet and still forces the ball too much,. CBB pushes ball safety far to hard to risk him to the wolves yet. Coach likes upper classmen for a reason.

This.

I do not believe that Kelley at any point, has passed Peavey on the depth chart.  Kelley's progress as a true freshmen has been impressive, but he is still making mistakes that would prove very costly in a real game.  It does not surprise me that Storey has taken longer to adjust.  I fully believe he cans till be an SEC QB, but the competition he played against at Charleston was not good, making the jump to SEC from that is huge.  He has started to make strides, and up until Saturday looked to me like he was starting to set himself apart from Kelley, but Saturday was a bit of a set back. 

At this point, I fully believe if AA goes down, Peavey will get the nod, if Peavey goes down, Storey will most likely be given the chance, unless Kelley really starts setting the world on fire in practice.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: jjdlc on August 21, 2016, 11:46:53 am
This.

I do not believe that Kelley at any point, has passed Peavey on the depth chart.  Kelley's progress as a true freshmen has been impressive, but he is still making mistakes that would prove very costly in a real game.  It does not surprise me that Storey has taken longer to adjust.  I fully believe he cans till be an SEC QB, but the competition he played against at Charleston was not good, making the jump to SEC from that is huge.  He has started to make strides, and up until Saturday looked to me like he was starting to set himself apart from Kelley, but Saturday was a bit of a set back. 

At this point, I fully believe if AA goes down, Peavey will get the nod, if Peavey goes down, Storey will most likely be given the chance, unless Kelley really starts setting the world on fire in practice.

Thanks for the update.
BTW, how are seeing these practices?
His response to me:

GuvHog

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on August 21, 2016, 11:38:36 am
Need to quit hittin the pipe.

CBB knew '13 would be rebuilding from the inside out. Austin didn't play that year because he didn't want to burn his shirt, primarily because he can add. After Brandon graduated, he didn't want only one year out of Austin. It would have limited his options for the future. If you are an anti-BA/AA then it would be something to complain about, otherwise, it is a non issue.

Derby did what was asked of him. Expectations are much higher now than '13. I don't suspect we'll burn Kelley's shirt unless there is a very good reason.

Even if it becomes necessary for them to play Kelley this year, he can still redshirt next year or any one of the next 3 years if the need arises.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hobhog

So I guess the next question is who plays in mop up duty?

BTW- I'm not crazy about Kelly not getting any reps and then going in 5-6 games into season and trying to take over if AA gets hurt.

Peavy must be hurting more than reported. So I think Storey is #2 unless AA gets injured early....

Peter Porker

Quote from: hobhog on August 21, 2016, 05:55:13 pm

BTW- I'm not crazy about Kelly not getting any reps and then going in 5-6 games into season and trying to take over if AA gets hurt.

Peavy must be hurting more than reported. So I think Storey is #2 unless AA gets injured early....

Why do you hate the letter e?
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: longpig on August 21, 2016, 09:29:49 am
Yep. That, his comments since bowl prep, inconsistent practice and scrimmage performance.................
bowl prep.....gives you the red ass

PP

SooiecidetillNuttgone

His response to me:

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 21, 2016, 10:30:53 am
If you think that's interesting you should have just Steven Hill..............

Well, I've heard that phrase over and over for the last couple years.  Honestly no clue what it means.  I'll just assume you're applying it condescendingly in this case.  Whatever it is.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

hobhog

Quote from: Peter Porker on August 21, 2016, 06:15:12 pm
Why do you hate the letter e?

Why do you answer questions with questions Dean Weber?

The_Iceman

To be fair, they said Storey had 2-3 passes dropped. But still, Kelley looks like he is the 2nd best QB right now.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on August 21, 2016, 07:00:28 pm
Well, I've heard that phrase over and over for the last couple years.  Honestly no clue what it means.  I'll just assume you're applying it condescendingly in this case.  Whatever it is.

I don't know his motives, but possibly not.

Someone meant to start a thread titled:
I just saw Steven Hill.

Instead it was:
I just Steven Hill

With that being the thread's title, it was an immediate eye sore.
The thread within about 5 posts became a pages long work of fantastic absurdity.

This is how I remember it at least.
His response to me:

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: The_Iceman on August 21, 2016, 07:22:51 pm
To be fair, they said Storey had 2-3 passes dropped. But still, Kelley looks like he is the 2nd best QB right now.

Some more of BB's truth or motivation?
His response to me:

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 20, 2016, 05:18:27 pm
No kidding. Red shirting a #2 doesn't make sense. I don't remember ever hearing of that happening.

I can't tell if you are serious...
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

FANONTHEHILL

At this point the backup QB situation is very fluid.  I think it will clear up in the next couple days.  There's lots of talent on this campus.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

rzrbk4life

What surprises me is that no one has transferred out yet. One would think with the logjam at the position someone would want to transfer out for more playing time. Especially when we keep adding a new QB each year.

But I still think this is a good problem to have. As they say iron sharpens iron.
Let's call those hogs!!!!

MuskogeeHogFan

August 22, 2016, 06:00:42 am #128 Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 06:44:26 am by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: hobhog on August 21, 2016, 05:55:13 pm

I'm not sure if this is the case or not but according to Bielema's statements it sounds as if Peavey had been doing well prior to his injury but the recovery time has taken some reps away from him. Also (and this is pure speculation) there is the possibility that while he has been performing well, maybe he has plateaued instead of continuing to improve?

In the meantime, as sometimes can happen, other players at that position begin to make greater progress. Perhaps Peavey's injury situation just provided a perfect opportunity for the staff to be able to insert and surround the guys who were making greater progress with better talent, in order to get a better idea of how they would perform with guys in the two deep as opposed to the developmental group? Sometimes players are better than they appear to be because of the talent surrounding them. It makes perfect sense to me to give competing QB's who appear to have great potential a shot with the 2 deep. When you are surrounded by better talent it removes all excuses and you either show that you are more ready than once thought, or that you actually do belong further down the depth chart for the time being.

I also think that sometimes we have a tendency to read more into these moves by the staff than what they merit.

The one thing that I am confident of is that we will have the best guy starting and the next best guy at #2 and so on. Aside from the starter, I have no idea how the rest of it will shake out but I'll let the staff worry about those things.
Go Hogs Go!

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: rzrbk4life on August 22, 2016, 05:59:32 am
What surprises me is that no one has transferred out yet. One would think with the logjam at the position someone would want to transfer out for more playing time. Especially when we keep adding a new QB each year.

But I still think this is a good problem to have. As they say iron sharpens iron.

Absolutely.
Injury, a wrong player evaluation, a player loses motivation, etc.

Any of those can thin your ranks pretty fast.
His response to me:

incHOGnito

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on August 20, 2016, 06:03:11 pm
So how should we perceive our QB depth if the true Freshman wins the #2 spot?  I guess on one hand you could argue the positive that Kelley is just that good.  Or you could go the more negative route and that our backups aren't that good.

How would you have perceived it if Storey would have been in this spot last year? Everyone would have been jumping up and down in excitement. I choose to take it to mean we have a legit next level QB on our sidelines.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: incHOGnito on August 22, 2016, 06:38:13 am
How would you have perceived it if Storey would have been in this spot last year? Everyone would have been jumping up and down in excitement. I choose to take it to mean we have a legit next level QB on our sidelines.

It seems you're implying that fans want the local boy to succeed more than out-of-starters.

That may be so, I'm not sure.

I do know that when you haul in a top 5 player at their position, it makes you scratch your head when a true Freshman seems to pass them when they've been in the system a while.

So, this may be more about surprise or concern than homerism.
His response to me:

nchogg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 22, 2016, 06:00:42 am
I'm not sure if this is the case or not but according to Bielema's statements it sounds as if Peavey had been doing well prior to his injury but the recovery time has taken some reps away from him. Also (and this is pure speculation) there is the possibility that while he has been performing well, maybe he has plateaued instead of continuing to improve?

In the meantime, as sometimes can happen, other players at that position begin to make greater progress. Perhaps Peavey's injury situation just provided a perfect opportunity for the staff to be able to insert and surround the guys who were making greater progress with better talent, in order to get a better idea of how they would perform with guys in the two deep as opposed to the developmental group? Sometimes players are better than they appear to be because of the talent surrounding them. It makes perfect sense to me to give competing QB's who appear to have great potential a shot with the 2 deep. When you are surrounded by better talent it removes all excuses and you either show that you are more ready than once thought, or that you actually do belong further down the depth chart for the time being.

I also think that sometimes we have a tendency to read more into these moves by the staff than what they merit.

The one thing that I am confident of is that we will have the best guy starting and the next best guy at #2 and so on. Aside from the starter, I have no idea how the rest of it will shake out but I'll let the staff worry about those things.
A good factual realistic response.

ricepig

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on August 22, 2016, 06:48:01 am

I do know that when you haul in a top 5 player at their position, it makes you scratch your head when a true Freshman seems to pass them when they've been in the system a while.

Or maybe question the system/service that rates these players?? As has been said numerous times, it's a different game with SEC speed and size in all 22 positions on the field. I'm for all of them, they're Razorbacks.

theFlyingHog

Sometimes the only way to see who is the best is to put em in a real game. Of course, the coaches issues may preclude that, such as someone not knowing the playbook. At this point Kelley is the only one with any excuse for not knowing the playbook.

Perhaps someone can help me out with this. I didn't exactly go far in my football career but when we learned plays we learned it by "code". We didn't have drawn up plays, we just learned that each part of the play call told you what to do, formation, which side, blocking etc. I remember hearing around bowl prep that Town hadn't learned Hoganese so that sounds like he just doesn't know what the "code" is. Am I taking this right? I know they have a lot more to learn than I did but it seems like a college kid should be able to pick it up in a couple months if he really wants to

hogsanity

IF you want to know what they expect from the backup position, look at 2014. AA played against Nichols st, and then I am not sure he was seen again until late in the 2nd Q against old misses when BA got hurt. They were lucky, and had that game n control, so they only asked him to throw a couple passes early to move the chains.

Just from what I read and heard over the weekend and in the reports on tv and radio, I think the Op is spot on. If they just need someone to clean up a blow out, or if AA goes down in a game but they think he can come back that day or will be back the next week, then TS plays just to keep the RS on CK. IF, and we all hope it does not happen, AA goes down with a broken leg, or blows out a knee or his shoulder, then it is likely they play CK if it is going to be a several game stretch. All that is AS OF NOW, which could change in the next 2 weeks.

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: a0ashle on August 20, 2016, 05:55:11 pm
People are thinking too hard about this. it's not a hard concept. Basically OPis saying he'll be 3rd on official depth chart, but if AA were to be out multiple games, he'd be the one to take over.

Why do you put it into words that the troglodytes can understand..? Just let them grunt, drag knuckles and buy t-shirts.!! Give them a "Go Rickeyey Towndeses.!!" HooRay, and be done with it...  ;)
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

hogsanity

Quote from: theFlyingHog on August 22, 2016, 07:46:11 am
Sometimes the only way to see who is the best is to put em in a real game.

No one does that with backups. Every d1 coach spends as much time as possible getting the #1 ready, and prays he never HAS to play the #2. There just is not time to get 2 guys ready at the same level. IT is not like RB or WR where teams play 3 4 or more in a game.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

GuvHog

Quote from: ricepig on August 22, 2016, 07:24:14 am
Or maybe question the system/service that rates these players?? As has been said numerous times, it's a different game with SEC speed and size in all 22 positions on the field. I'm for all of them, they're Razorbacks.

You are right about the ratings systems/services. I remember the Hogs signing a QB in the early part of Hooty's tenure that was rated by most every service as a 5 Star QB coming out of high school who turned out to be a class "A" flop and not just at Arkansas.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hogsanity

Quote from: GuvHog on August 22, 2016, 08:31:45 am
You are right about the ratings systems/services. I remember the Hogs signing a QB in the early part of Hooty's tenure that was rated by most every service as a 5 Star QB coming out of high school who turned out to be a class "A" flop and not just at Arkansas.

Ratings were created for the fans, to sell them magazines and web service subscriptions. The 1st thing to look at, imo, for any recruit is what schools are after them. IF Bama, TX, and Ohio St are all after the same kid, then he is probably the real deal. If, on the other hand a kid is a " 4 star" but most or all of his offers are from the lower half of the big10 and acc, then something is amiss with his rating. 

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: hogsanity on August 22, 2016, 08:46:39 am
Ratings were created for the fans, to sell them magazines and web service subscriptions. The 1st thing to look at, imo, for any recruit is what schools are after them. IF Bama, TX, and Ohio St are all after the same kid, then he is probably the real deal. If, on the other hand a kid is a " 4 star" but most or all of his offers are from the lower half of the big10 and acc, then something is amiss with his rating. 

Don't want another thread hijacked over the used and abused ratings argument.
So I'll not comment.
His response to me:

oldhawg

Quote from: hogsanity on August 22, 2016, 08:20:25 am
No one does that with backups. Every d1 coach spends as much time as possible getting the #1 ready, and prays he never HAS to play the #2. There just is not time to get 2 guys ready at the same level. IT is not like RB or WR where teams play 3 4 or more in a game.

Didn't Lou Holtz have a practice of inserting his back-up quarterback the third offensive possession of every game?

FANONTHEHILL

#1 Austin
#2 Ty
#3 Cole (redshirt barring injury)

This will all be made clear in the next couple of days.

Time to get ready for LaTech!
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

hogsanity

Quote from: oldhawg on August 22, 2016, 09:37:57 am
Didn't Lou Holtz have a practice of inserting his back-up quarterback the third offensive possession of every game?

Idk, but I do know Lou coached his last game 12 years ago. There is just not time, especially when your #1 has only played a handful of snaps in his career. There are only so many snaps to go around, and now that school has started and LT game prep has or soon will start, the #1 is going to get the majority of the snaps with the #1 offense, the #2 will get a few, and then the backups will run the #2 offense and the scout team.

ricepig

Yeah, I couldn't remember which HC did it, it was a long time ago, haha.

hogsanity

HDN used to play 2 ( or 3 or 4 ) Qb's in a game too.................

woodrow hog call

I think they see more "upside" with CK than they do with the other backups, and maybe even AA as well. The rest of the QB's are going through their 2nd and 3rd camps, they have been studied, evaluated, and graded, the coaching staff feels like they know what they have there.

With CK and the big arm they see more potential for greatness, whereas the others might turn out to be pretty good, but aren't likely to be great. If they were they would have had some, "wow did you see that throw" type of moments, and I don't think we have heard about them doing that.

When you have someone with a high ceiling, you handle them a little different than you do the others. Kind of like a 9th grader starting on the varsity baseball team and everybody complains about him every time he makes an error or strikes out, but then he gets drafted after he graduates, while the other players walk on to a juco.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Porked Tongue on August 21, 2016, 09:34:08 am
I don't see this discussion as a fight or argument.  Maybe some do.  We're just talking here.

As I alluded to before having this discussion is a strong indication of how good AA is doing and what seems like universal acceptance of that fact.

It is good to have a 1.  Could be worse.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on August 22, 2016, 11:49:45 am
It is good to have a 1.  Could be worse.

Let's hope Allen takes every snap this year.

hogsanity

All this really does is speak to the talent that CK seems to have and is already showing. A rs soph, in his 3rd year and 2 rs fr in their 2nd, all highly rated recruits, could not do enough to keep the coaches from at least, apparently, thinking about using CK in games as a TR FR.

Now, do the coaches actually plan to use him if the situation presents itself? Are they using him to try to motivate RP and TS, knowing full well they will not play him no matter what? DO they want to get him as much work in practice as they can because they have already decided that next year he will be at least the #2 guy? The answers to those questions are things we do not know.