Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kelley as the real #2?

Started by Porked Tongue, August 20, 2016, 05:14:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Porked Tongue

I believe Kelley is the #2 but destined to redshirt unless something happens to AA.  This could change of course if Storey/Peavey improve more.

Hopefully the #2 this year is all about mop up duty and Kelley can redshirt.  Right now that's Storey.

That being said, I'll support whoever the staff chooses.  But I think Kelley has been a huge surprise.

Pulled(PP)pork

Wait....what?  Kelley #2 but will redshirt?

PP

ricepig

PonderinHog

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on August 20, 2016, 05:16:13 pm

PP
They will try to keep it on him all year.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on August 20, 2016, 05:16:13 pm

PP

No kidding. Red shirting a #2 doesn't make sense. I don't remember ever hearing of that happening.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Porked Tongue on August 20, 2016, 05:14:45 pm
I believe Kelley is the #2 but destined to redshirt unless something happens to AA.  This could change of course if Storey/Peavey improve more.

Hopefully the #2 this year is all about mop up duty and Kelley can redshirt.  Right now that's Storey.

That being said, I'll support whoever the staff chooses.  But I think Kelley has been a huge surprise.

Problem is there are routes he cannot throw. CBB mentioned this in his last presser and that he makes some passes that he got away with in high school.

Good looking young QB though.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 20, 2016, 05:18:27 pm
No kidding. Red shirting a #2 doesn't make sense. I don't remember ever hearing of that happening.

We've redshirted #2 lineman before, they travel and if there is a significant injury, they play.

rhames

He is the number 2 if Austin were to get injured. 

I actually think this was the case for Brandon back in 2011

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

longpig

No surprise.  Not that big a deal if he doesn't redshirt actually.  Backs up AA for two years tops, is the guy for two years tops.  He'll come along a whole lot faster as the #2, apparently the staff doesn't see as much upside with the others.
Don't be scared, be smart.

Porked Tongue

I tried to explain it.  It's not that farfetched.  I see it as a sign of program depth.

Think of it like the game when Derby played QB.  If it had been for a more significant amount of time they would have burned AA's redhirt.

Second string doesn't necessarily mean second best.

cosmodrum

IMO he's the #2 because of his talent, but you just dont burn his shirt, because of his talent.
Go away, batin'

PorkRinds

I feel like Storey will be the number 2.

Hawghiggs

PonderinHog

Is Peavey not recovering as fast as they had hoped or has he regressed or what?

ricepig

ricepig

PonderinHog

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: ricepig on August 20, 2016, 05:20:13 pm
We've redshirted #2 lineman before, they travel and if there is a significant injury, they play.
well, I think it was just a confusing concept....of course the shirt can come off

PP

Porked Tongue

Peavey's spot on the official depth chart is going to be a big deal.  Like always, the depth chart leads to departures.  That's especially true with QB's.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Porked Tongue on August 20, 2016, 05:35:23 pm
Peavey's spot on the official depth chart is going to be a big deal.  Like always, the depth chart leads to departures.  That's especially true with QB's.

Hawghiggs

If Peavey leaves. That will be awful. He seemed to have always wanted to be a Razorback.

FANONTHEHILL

August 20, 2016, 05:46:49 pm #22 Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 07:45:52 am by FANONTHEHILL
I have been on record as saying that Peavey should be the #2 and Kelley should redshirt.  Peavey is not all the way back from his back surgery and I hate it when someone loses their spot due to injury.  At practices I attended early in camp, Kelley was forcing throws and making mistakes that he could get away with in high school.  I got home from today's practice 20 minutes ago and my thoughts have changed.  His judgment is worlds better than what it was just a couple weeks ago.  There was a TD he threw at the end of practice from 40 yards from the right hash to the left corner of the end zone that was one of the bet passes I've seen.  The young man has a world of talent.  Austin is, and will remain #1, but Cole Kelley can play.  I do think it feasible to see him split the #2 reps in practice all year and leave his redshirt on. Have him ready, but only play him in event of injury.  Don't waste his redshirt for mop up duty.  I knew he would be talented, but he's worlds ahead of where I thought he'd be by the end of camp.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Pulled(PP)pork

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on August 20, 2016, 05:20:13 pm

Linemen are not QBs. How many times have you seen a #2 QB redshirt. I can't remember any.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

PonderinHog

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: PonderinHog on August 20, 2016, 05:49:12 pm
Cole Kelley, true freshman.
which is the correct spelling....Kelley or Kelly?

PP

hog.goblin

a0ashle

People are thinking too hard about this. it's not a hard concept. Basically OPis saying he'll be 3rd on official depth chart, but if AA were to be out multiple games, he'd be the one to take over.

PonderinHog

FANONTHEHILL

Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Bubba's Bruisers

So how should we perceive our QB depth if the true Freshman wins the #2 spot?  I guess on one hand you could argue the positive that Kelley is just that good.  Or you could go the more negative route and that our backups aren't that good.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

ricepig

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on August 20, 2016, 06:03:11 pm
So how should we perceive our QB depth if the true Freshman wins the #2 spot?  I guess on one hand you could argue the positive that Kelley is just that good.  Or you could go the more negative route and that our backups aren't that good.

So, glass half empty or half full?

Peter Porker

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on August 20, 2016, 05:52:40 pm
which is the correct spelling....Kelley or Kelly?

PP

On hogville, does it really matter?
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: ricepig on August 20, 2016, 06:07:15 pm
So, glass half empty or half full?

Sure, but using common sense, what's the more likely scenario?
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

hawginbigd1

And just think he is the lowest rated by a good bit of the whole bunch!

ricepig

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on August 20, 2016, 06:11:26 pm
Sure, but using common sense, what's the more likely scenario?

Common sense says you hope the new guys are better than the guys on the roster. It doesn't happen very often, but occasionally. Kelley is really the first QB recruited by Enos for us.

Cinco de Hogo

No he's not, not until CBB tells you he is.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: ricepig on August 20, 2016, 06:15:21 pm
Common sense says you hope the new guys are better than the guys on the roster. It doesn't happen very often, but occasionally. Kelley is really the first QB recruited by Enos for us.

Yes, you hope that, but it might be telling that a true freshman QB beat out say a RS sophomore QB.  Especially when we've pretty much been touting our supposed new-found QB talent and depth in Fayetteville prior to Kelley's arrival.  A month ago, I really don't think anyone even considered this posibility, because of the belief we were in good shape at the position.

I'm only attempting to consider the QB position, not others where this scenario is fairly common.

HoopS

all this post will do is cause speculation and people to freak out. IMO, totally unnecessary post but what do I know.

ricepig

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on August 20, 2016, 06:25:39 pm
Yes, you hope that, but it might be telling that a true freshman QB beat out say a RS sophomore QB.  Especially when we've pretty much been touting our supposed new-found QB talent and depth in Fayetteville prior to Kelley's arrival.  A month ago, I really don't think anyone even considered this posibility, because of the belief we were in good shape at the position.

I'm only attempting to consider the QB position, not others where this scenario is fairly common.

He hasn't beat out anyone yet, I don't believe they have released a depth chart. Although if you listened to the PC he said they traveled Peavey as a true freshman in case #1 and #2 went down, that was the impression I got from him.

a0ashle

There is a little bit of "looking for something to worry about" here. Step back from it a second and recognize that we are talking about our 3rd and 4th (and 5th) string QBs not being very good. Every little thing is gonna be alright :D

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: ricepig on August 20, 2016, 06:31:10 pm
He hasn't beat out anyone yet, I don't believe they have released a depth chart. Although if you listened to the PC he said they traveled Peavey as a true freshman in case #1 and #2 went down, that was the impression I got from him.

I know he hasn't. It's been a what if question from the beginning.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: a0ashle on August 20, 2016, 06:37:08 pm

There is a little bit of "looking for something to worry about" here. Step back from it a second and recognize that we are talking about our 3rd and 4th (and 5th) string QBs not being very good. Every little thing is gonna be alright :D

Not worried at all.  I simply think it's an interesting topic. 

ricepig

What are Bama fans thinking if a freshman starts?

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/report-freshman-qb-outshines-rest-alabamas-second-scrimmage/

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on August 20, 2016, 06:25:39 pm

We will see if #1, they actually R/S him and #2 if they do and should AA go down, would they actually burn his R/S to bring him into the game? Might depend upon the severity of the injury to the starter, if that even happens.

Additionally, everyone has at some point talked about the great arm strength of the various QB's that we have on the roster. Some say one is stronger, some say another and all of them seem to have had their moments when they excelled, but none have seemed to separate themselves from one another on a consistent basis. Peavey did come out of spring as the #2 but then hurt his back and apparently hasn't returned to form. That injury may have mattered and then again, it might not have mattered even if it hadn't happened.

The talk seems to be about the overwhelming strength of Kelley's arm compared to that of anyone else on the roster and which ultimately leads to comparisons to that of Ryan Mallett and seemingly similar circumstances before Mallet learned to throw underneath with some touch on his passes.

This article goes into that to some degree:

http://www.nwaonline.com/news/2016/aug/16/kelley-showing-potential-already/?sports-razorbacks

Enos has mentioned his need for development in terms of footwork as it relates to taking snaps from under Center and in decision making to some extent. See the pressers involving Enos for more on this.

Has Kelley made such strides in learning the offense so that he has caught up with the guys who have already been here for a year or two? I don't know and I can't speak to that, but I do think that he may be close to being named the QB of the future, if you can put any stock into some of the reports listed in this thread.

I think that without a doubt that you can see that Enos has a tendency to 'glow" when he talks about Kelley but I'm still not sure that this elevates him to a "absolutely for certain #2". I guess we will find out should AA go down with a significant injury that would mean him missing two or more games. Let us hope that we don't have to find out quite this early.
Go Hogs Go!

BPsTheMan

If Austin were to go down, our QB is a true freshman

If Austin stays healthy, that freshman will be redshirted

PonderinHog

Storey, 2 for 9, 24 yards

Kelley, 8 for 15, 125 yards

Hmmmm...