Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tight End Depth Chart

Started by hogz11, August 19, 2016, 07:12:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogz11

No surprise to anyone that Jeremy Sprinkle is and has been the #1 TE all off season. Trey Biddy reported today that Austin Cantrell appears to be the front runner for #2 with Jack Kraus right there behind him competing for that spot.

That means CJ O'Grady and Will Gragg are #4 & #5. Just surprised to see neither of them in the running for starting time. Not to mention we have a stud JUCO TE on the way in Jeremy Patton.

Great for Cantrell and Kraus.............just didn't see them beating out O'Grady and Gragg.

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

bennyl08

Cantrell was just as highly recruited as Gragg and O'Grady. He was a 4* 92 rating with offers from both Okla schools. Kraus less so, but still has the same prestige as anybody else of having an offer from CBB.

Based on what they were looking for, it isn't much of a surprise. Cantrell and Kraus are the two most balanced TE's we have. Gragg is a blocker that lacks top level athleticism in the passing game though has nice hands. O'Grady is a superb athlete than is very dangerous in the passing game, but lacks some blocking skills. Cantrell and Kraus aren't as good blocking as Gragg, aren't as athletic as CJ, but both good enough at both. Kraus has been here longer, but has struggled with injuries and is less likely (based on recruiting, and noting that I am just saying likely, not guaranteeing anything here) to be as athletic as Cantrell, allowing him to jump Kraus on the depth chart.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

RebelW

August 19, 2016, 08:08:35 pm #3 Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 01:31:51 am by RebelW
Quote from: bennyl08 on August 19, 2016, 07:23:59 pm
Cantrell was just as highly recruited as Gragg and O'Grady. He was a 4* 92 rating with offers from both Okla schools. Kraus less so, but still has the same prestige as anybody else of having an offer from CBB.

Based on what they were looking for, it isn't much of a surprise. Cantrell and Kraus are the two most balanced TE's we have. Gragg is a blocker that lacks top level athleticism in the passing game though has nice hands. O'Grady is a superb athlete than is very dangerous in the passing game, but lacks some blocking skills. Cantrell and Kraus aren't as good blocking as Gragg, aren't as athletic as CJ, but both good enough at both. Kraus has been here longer, but has struggled with injuries and is less likely (based on recruiting, and noting that I am just saying likely, not guaranteeing anything here) to be as athletic as Cantrell, allowing him to jump Kraus on the depth chart.
[/quote

I disagree that you said Cantrell is not as good of a blocker than Gragg. I've listened to CBB and CDE and CBL say that he is a power house at blocking and really moving the #1 defense. He was the best blocker but needed help route running, the past couple weeks of camp he has shown he has progressed a lot in the passing game. He is the best blocking TE we have besides sprinkle

Hogmodo

Gragg and O'Grady will replace Sprinkle when he leaves, unless the JC TE beats them out.  To compliment Sprinkle, they need more of a blocking H-back kind of tight end and that is Cantrell and Kraus's specialty.  O'Grady and Gragg aren't going to be needed until next year unless, Heaven forbid, Sprinkle gets injured. JMVHO
Time to git er done Hogs!

PorkRinds

Quote from: Hogmodo on August 20, 2016, 10:57:25 am
Gragg and O'Grady will replace Sprinkle when he leaves, unless the JC TE beats them out.  To compliment Sprinkle, they need more of a blocking H-back kind of tight end and that is Cantrell and Kraus's specialty.  O'Grady and Gragg aren't going to be needed until next year unless, Heaven forbid, Sprinkle gets injured. JMVHO

Agreed.

Dominicanhog

a bit of a different take..... We use TE's like other schools use wide-recievers, lineman, fullbacks, slot recievers and sometimes even like a standard TE...  4th or 6th at Arkansas means your on the depth chart... and a lot of people will play... RS freshman are right on schedule for more time next year and a nice learning curve...

I thought benny's assesments of each players abilities/qualities were right on, but I'd go a bit further and say Cantrell is the next BIG TE in cfb... we've heard whispers from coaches, and seen reports of him and AA connecting down the field etc.. imo, he's going to establish himself as the heir apparent.

Hogtimes

I do not recall Cantrell being that highly recruited.  I thought he  was a sleeper that CBB found  rather early in the recruiting process.   I remember Oklahoma came   in on him late, but he never waivered.   IIRC he grew up an OSU fan, but for some reason they never offered, which was dumb.  But no matter, once he committed to CBB he was sold on the Hogs.   

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Hogtimes on August 20, 2016, 12:25:20 pm

I do not recall Cantrell being that highly recruited.  I thought he  was a sleeper that CBB found  rather early in the recruiting process.   I remember Oklahoma came   in on him late, but he never waivered.   IIRC he grew up an OSU fan, but for some reason they never offered, which was dumb.  But no matter, once he committed to CBB he was sold on the Hogs.

I remember his coach talking about his attitude for defense, as he was also a very good DE, said he played strong/tough ....but he was a better TE because he had very good hands.. I put that with, he ran on the relay team.. ingredients that led to my anticipation of a future stud.... also, I've seen CBB mention him a couple times and the practice/scrimmage reports have had bit's now and again.... I just want to call it now, so I can say I knew it all along ... ;D :razorback:

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Cantrell is supposed to be over 270 now.  I wonder about his speed. Supposedly he can still get free downfield.  If true, that is impressive.

EFBAB

RaisinHog

Not saying he isnt that big but he didn't look that big to me on the video from luncheon the other day

Dominicanhog

Quote from: RaisinHog on August 20, 2016, 01:07:39 pm
Not saying he isnt that big but he didn't look that big to me on the video from luncheon the other day

was that before lunch or after?

FANONTHEHILL

He's that big.  He and Paul Ramirez were not dressed out today and in their tshirts and shorts.  They came out of the tunnel and walked past. Austin is every bit of 270.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Carl Lazlo

He will truck some dbs this season.  Watching him catch the ball and turn it up the sideline was enough indication to show he has plenty of athleticism.

AirWarren

Excellent assessment on Gragg.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Hogtimes on August 20, 2016, 12:25:20 pm

He was a 4 star.

factchecker

Quote from: ShadowHawg on August 21, 2016, 01:56:23 am
He was a 4 star.

He ended up a 4 star but went he first committed he was a mid to low 3 star.  Some services had him unrated.  I remember because there was a great wailing and gnashing of teeth from the star gazers on the recruiting board.

Cantrell didn't get his proper rating until later in the process.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

RebelW

I've notice I don't hear much about Jamario Bell. On either side of the ball. I had high hopes for him. Curious to see where they end up using him.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: RebelW on August 21, 2016, 01:23:21 pm
I've notice I don't hear much about Jamario Bell. On either side of the ball. I had high hopes for him. Curious to see where they end up using him.

I forgot about him.
Does anyone have an update on him?
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

cardinalandwhite

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on August 21, 2016, 01:29:57 pm
I forgot about him.
Does anyone have an update on him?

Lunny spoke about a TE that I assume was Bell, and said that he reminded said player that this year he is as early along in his development at TE as he was last year as a freshman DE. Sounded to me from the way he said it that Bell is very talented and just needs to learn the position.
"Wise people think all they say; fools say all they think." - Anonymous

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: cardinalandwhite on August 21, 2016, 01:54:15 pm
Lunny spoke about a TE that I assume was Bell, and said that he reminded said player that this year he is as early along in his development at TE as he was last year as a freshman DE. Sounded to me from the way he said it that Bell is very talented and just needs to learn the position.

Thanks for the update.
I know I'm rooting for him.

Why not add TE University to RB University?
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

longpig

Quote from: factchecker on August 21, 2016, 02:55:07 am
He ended up a 4 star but went he first committed he was a mid to low 3 star.  Some services had him unrated.  I remember because there was a great wailing and gnashing of teeth from the star gazers on the recruiting board.

^^^ this right here is how it all went down^^^
Don't be scared, be smart.

Rayzback

Mellow is the man who knows what he's been missin

bennyl08

Quote from: factchecker on August 21, 2016, 02:55:07 am

Which is why the gnashing of teeth of this class is currently meaningless on both sides. People claiming that CBB is taking 3*'s early and thus stars don't matter are talking about a lot of players who will probably end up being 4*s or highly valued 3*'s by the time it is all said and done. People complaining that we have a bunch or 3*'s face the same problem from the opposite direction.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Rayzback on August 22, 2016, 09:29:25 pm
Did you see LSU Dad's #1... ;)

https://youtu.be/F7CQuWu2WI0

He just seems like a nice guy that had fun with those videos. I enjoy them just because I can tell he enjoys sec football so much.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

AugustaHog

I love this guy.  Can't say that about too many LSU fans, but he seems like a good dude and as mentioned truly watches and appreciates all SEC football.  Maybe it's because we whipped them pretty bad the last couple years, but he has a very solid appreciation for how we play and what we're building.  He's an example of an opposing fan that I'd gladly tailgate with.  Our TE situation is going to flesh out well.  There's just too much talent for us to not have several guys who can get it done.  It doesn't hurt to have an elite front-man like Sprink.  He's the real deal and should do big things.  He may not block as well as HH but his athleticism is as good as we've had (huge compliment) at that position.

MS_HogFan

In the video from the LR TD Club, CBB was talking about the true freshmen that would play. He said Grayson Gunter would play. That surprised me a little. We have a lot of depth at that position.

Anyone got any insight on Gunter?

SOOIE

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: MS_HogFan on August 23, 2016, 08:21:07 am
In the video from the LR TD Club, CBB was talking about the true freshmen that would play. He said Grayson Gunter would play. That surprised me a little. We have a lot of depth at that position.

Not I. The extent of my knowledge on this man can be encapsulated by "is from Mississippi"
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

ricepig

We've had other guys coming out of camp that he's mentioned as playing, and they end up redshirting. I think it's usually a fluid situation depending on injuries and depth. Now, he may be on some special teams, or a hidden gem, but he hasn't had much time with the 1's to my knowledge. We'll soon start finding out the answers to all of these questions, it's almost football time!

trashcan maN

Why do you say Cantrell is not as good at blocking as Gragg? Enos specifically said "He's the guy that can line up and block an SEC DE."

According to Enos, of the 3 new guys, Cantrell is the best blocker, OGrady the best pass-catcher, and Gragg a guy who is pretty good at both.

secneahog

Quote from: trashcan maN on August 23, 2016, 10:07:12 am
Why do you say Cantrell is not as good at blocking as Gragg? Enos specifically said "He's the guy that can line up and block an SEC DE."

According to Enos, of the 3 new guys, Cantrell is the best blocker, OGrady the best pass-catcher, and Gragg a guy who is pretty good at both.

You're on point sir,  all people have to do is listen to BB. 
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

RebelW

Quote from: secneahog on August 23, 2016, 10:11:12 am
You're on point sir,  all people have to do is listen to BB.
Yep most people on here need to listen to some post practice press conferences and then they wouldn't say some the idiotic things they do on here

hawgwash

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on August 22, 2016, 10:45:27 pm
He just seems like a nice guy that had fun with those videos. I enjoy them just because I can tell he enjoys sec football so much.
I love me some LSU Dad. He could be entertaining reading a cookbook.

bennyl08

Quote from: trashcan maN on August 23, 2016, 10:07:12 am

Shouldn't have used the present tense. Coming out of HS, Gragg displayed superior blocking of the three. Gragg was also by far the slowest and least agile. However, don't interpret that as being too slow. Gragg had the most impressive list of offers by far. O'Grady looked like a WR in a TE's body coming out of HS, but with little tape of him blocking at all. Cantrell was a guy who lined up everywhere and showed better athleticism than Gragg but not as good as O'Grady and better blocking than CJ but not as good as Will coming out of HS.

WooPig90

Hearing Coach B say that, btw this is just my opinion, it would seem like one of these TEs will be leaving. My guess would probably be Bell

razorbacksnum1

That says a lot about Gragg and O Grady that a true freshman would jump them for playing time.

supersaint

There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

trashcan maN

Dominicanhog

Quote from: trashcan maN on August 25, 2016, 10:44:02 am
That is a large individual

I think he and Hayden will do a lot of the same thing from a different position...

Uncle Remus

Before the year is out, I think that Gragg and/or O'grady will make some plays that turn some heads.  Gragg has great hands.  He doesn't have the open field ability that big brother had, but he is a different build than Chris. 

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 19, 2016, 07:17:17 pm
Will Gragg is number four.

Not anymore. Pretty striking move to promote the true freshman ahead of Gragg and O'Grady.
[CENSORED]!