Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Close to a starting offensive line?

Started by hogz11, August 19, 2016, 07:08:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogcam

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 22, 2016, 01:25:33 pm
OK. For everybody hailing Dan Skipper as the next all-America left tackle, please tell me:

Why didn't Skipper move back to left tackle in the spring?

Why did Arkansas go the whole spring, after day one, with Colton Jackson at LT and Skip still on the right?

Why did the coaches consider moving Skipper to guard before they decided to put him back at LT?
Please show me where anyone has claimed him to be next all-American. All I have said is that I don't see why people are worried that much about him at left tackle. He's our best lineman. Maybe second best. But of all of our linemen at that position, I feel most comfortable with him there. Go watch the spring game and watch Colton Jackson get beat over and over. Skipper is our best option there. The coaches see it. That's why I don't understand why that position is the biggest concern. I know left tackle is the most important position, but we have our best lineman with experience there playing it. If there's gonna be concern which I don't think there should, but it should be on 3 new starters with 1 playing offensive line for the first time in his life.

RebelW

OK. For everybody hailing Dan Skipper as the next all-America left tackle, please tell me:

Why did Arkansas go the whole spring, after day one, with Colton Jackson at LT and Skip still on the right?

Why did the coaches consider moving Skipper to guard before they decided to put him back at LT?
I believe they did it trying to find stability at first for the young guys and from a QB prospective having AA taking all the #2 QB's in he past and trying to make it as normal for him as possible., but found that he is more ready than they thought and more comftorable/confident in his own ability which gave them the room to switch people around and experiment with what all they had to work with and find what line up has the most chemistry. He can play inside and out left or right. Why not move him around to make the young guys more comftorable and progress in a spot they are more comftorable in. Also CBB said that CKA has him playing the best football he has ever played. Meaning his growth in between spring and now his development has improved as well.

a0ashle

Somebody said this? Is it okay if I respond without thinking he is going to be AA

I think its been said that they wanted to keep him at RT for continuity, I bet they liked the idea of skipper not having to change position AGAIN this offseason

See above, and also Raulerson's presence changes things a bit.

I dunno, Did they say? Do you have an answer in mind?

My Answers in BOLD

Can I ask one back?

Why would coaches put Dan Skipper at LT?

Biggus Piggus

Failure to develop a different right tackle in the spring is holding the team back right now.
[CENSORED]!

daBoar

From someone who has not seen a Fall practice, but has read just about every word written about it.....I'll take a stab.

First, they didn't want to move Skipper, hoping that a more mobile OT would emerge. Apparently, that didn't happen. But, that doesn't mean that the coaches felt in the Spring that Skipper couldn't foot the bill at OT if called upon.  More importantly, it doesn't mean that Colton learned nothing at OT.
Second, with the young QB they determined the most experienced OT needed to be at LT, with the lesser experience at RT where AA's legs have a greater benefit.
Third, they always felt they could move Skipper at any moment, and he didn't need a lot of practice at LT.
Fourth, I'm not sure the coaches really considered Skipper as a Guard. Maybe that was coach speak.
Fifth, they learned who the top seven are.  I'm sensing the coaches are fairly pleased with the pre-La Tech outcome of the line.

AugustaHog

They probably watched Deatrich Wise vs. Colton Jackson in practice and realized that Colton may not be ready for that kind of beast on the QB's blindside.  Just a guess, but I would imagine they were thinking they'd rather have a seasoned vet in that spot than a guy taking his first college snaps.  Sure Skipper looks like a RT in the NFL, but he's probably the best we have right now and we need him covering AA's blindside.  This doesn't necessarily mean that Colton won't be more ideal at LT in the future, just maybe not now.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: AugustaHog on August 22, 2016, 02:28:45 pm
They probably watched Deatrich Wise vs. Colton Jackson in practice and realized that Colton may not be ready for that kind of beast on the QB's blindside.  Just a guess, but I would imagine they were thinking they'd rather have a seasoned vet in that spot than a guy taking his first college snaps.  Sure Skipper looks like a RT in the NFL, but he's probably the best we have right now and we need him covering AA's blindside.  This doesn't necessarily mean that Colton won't be more ideal at LT in the future, just maybe not now.

Yep, that makes a lot of sense.
[CENSORED]!

bennyl08

Quote from: Styflin on August 21, 2016, 10:21:44 pm
You do know that Skipper was repping at LT with the second group in the spring right? Based on your post, you didn't know that. I pretty much have to question everything you say now considering you post as if you are stating facts and not necessarily your opinion.

So, you make an assumption (that is false btw) about what I know and then you convince yourself that your assumption (which is false) is true?

You should question everything anybody says. I do know that Skipper practiced at lower strings at LT. However, that has zero bearing on this conversation, which is about who will be our starting 5 OL. I try and be explicit with what I type as fact or what is opinion. I re-read the post you seem to question. I can see where you would disagree with my post if you took it out of context. Lines like "didn't give Skipper a second thought at LT" would seemingly throw you off since he practiced there, just not as a starter. However, put it into the context of the conversation that you jumped into, and it becomes very true that Colton Jackson was consistently the starter at LT for the majority of the offseason, and only recently has Skipper been taking any snaps at LT for the first string.

You should question me, but no more of less than you should question any other poster. However, if you are going to imply that somebody is a liar or ill-informed, it is beneficial to make sure you know the context of what you are reading before throwing accusations out there that aren't remotely true.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Styflin on August 21, 2016, 10:21:44 pm
You do know that Skipper was repping at LT with the second group in the spring right? Based on your post, you didn't know that. I pretty much have to question everything you say now considering you post as if you are stating facts and not necessarily your opinion.

Skipper did not run many reps in the spring at left tackle. You've got that a little out of proportion. He did not play first-team RT then second-team LT in the same day for many snaps at all. They gave him maybe a part day's refresher, because KA wants all linemen to know all positions.
[CENSORED]!

PorkSoda

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 22, 2016, 01:35:41 pm
Failure to develop a different right tackle in the spring is holding the team back right now.
I think you are jumping to conclusions. 

Skipper is our most experienced lineman, its not surprising that they moved him to LT
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: PorkSoda on August 22, 2016, 03:01:42 pm
I think you are jumping to conclusions. 

Skipper is our most experienced lineman, its not surprising that they moved him to LT

Yep, jumping to conclusions is required if one is trying to predict the future.
[CENSORED]!

Großer Kriegschwein

Skipper has more experience at Tackle than Kirkland did last year, and two years at LT (Fr-So). If I had to pick one, it would probably be him.

Probably didn't rep him much while trying to evaluate all the others.

Coach said he is the best one, so I'm just going with that.
This is my non-signature signature.

hogfansince79

I was thinking that both Kirkland and Skipper were guards their freshman year.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin

ricepig

Quote from: hogfansince79 on August 22, 2016, 05:00:36 pm
I was thinking that both Kirkland and Skipper were guards the freshman year.

They were.

theFlyingHog

Doesn't apply to me cuz I don't care who plays where but I would direct your questions to:

Bbielema@uark.edu and kka005@uark.edu

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: ricepig on August 22, 2016, 05:01:27 pm
They were.

Whoops. Y'all right. I'll go haze myself by watching a recording of our 2006 SECCG. Better self sanction than Ole Misses latest one.
This is my non-signature signature.

Styflin

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 22, 2016, 02:42:36 pm
So, you make an assumption (that is false btw) about what I know and then you convince yourself that your assumption (which is false) is true?

You should question everything anybody says. I do know that Skipper practiced at lower strings at LT. However, that has zero bearing on this conversation, which is about who will be our starting 5 OL. I try and be explicit with what I type as fact or what is opinion. I re-read the post you seem to question. I can see where you would disagree with my post if you took it out of context. Lines like "didn't give Skipper a second thought at LT" would seemingly throw you off since he practiced there, just not as a starter. However, put it into the context of the conversation that you jumped into, and it becomes very true that Colton Jackson was consistently the starter at LT for the majority of the offseason, and only recently has Skipper been taking any snaps at LT for the first string.

You should question me, but no more of less than you should question any other poster. However, if you are going to imply that somebody is a liar or ill-informed, it is beneficial to make sure you know the context of what you are reading before throwing accusations out there that aren't remotely true.

Ok

Oklahawg

We seem to be missing something. Well, Biggus isn't missing it (others may have it also).

We had three legit starters last spring: Skipper, Ragnow, and Froholdt. Froholdt has been a gift, of sorts: while he was destined to be a fine DT he is going to save AA's ass more than once this fall. He was given one spot, and has stuck there. Owned it. No need to consider options. Froholdt = LG.

Because he is still as GREEN AS HE CAN BE! How is Froholdt to do anything besides get the basics at LG and then learn by the seat of his pants for 4-6 weeks. Yeah, I anticipate TCU and A*M will take a shot or two at him to see if he blows a stunt and AA gets one of those beautiful helmets to the chin.

But, he has as high a ceiling as any OL since Shawn Andrews. He is a better athlete than Andrews, too, and smarter, it seems, but lacks some of the raw mass that allowed Andrews to own the LOS.

We spent the spring carefully trying to nurture both Wallace and Jackson as tackles. Not sure where Merrick was, but his name was on the "is he washing out?" list as recently as the day before fall camp started. Those three have potential. Those three have mostly untapped potential, vs actually putting some of it to good use. Probably, all three are guards. Just like Ragnow, Rogers, Raulerson, Malone, and Ramirez. Or, at least they are better suited for guard than tackle.

Tackle is a bitch position to learn.

Ragnow would seem to be the solution at LT, moving Skipper back to the right side where he is best suited. For whatever reason, Ragnow hasn't even had tackle mentioned in a sentence with his name until camp began. The persistent explanation is two-fold: he is brilliant with line calls as center, and he knows well he'll be a center or guard in the NFL so he wants to show off those skills. Maybe he needs to move outside and show off some versatility. This is a coach's room deal, not a talent deal.

Rogers is an able option inside but lacks the optimal length CBB covets. Raulerson needs more time to get the line calls down at center. Ramirez was making a move when he got hurt, I am told.

Lots of moving parts that aren't syncing up just yet. Time. Man, we need some time.

Skipper at LT is the safest move, not the most ambitious move. Other LT options are risky, even though they have upside. We have not really entertained this possibility, floated early and often by several astute posters: we won't see the optimal OL until mid-season. And, maybe our stop-gap involves moving Skipper to LT, and then when others are online, he moves back to RG or RT.

Or, maybe there will more experiments, even into the La Tech game. Anyone else thinking we'll see 6-7 OL running with the first team Labor Day weekend?
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

MissippHog

I felt like Skipper made more of an impact at LT two years ago than he did at RT last year.  Both the good moments and bad.   ;)

But, I just don't see why we are showing so much concern on a player that is on the preseason Outland watch list, Athlon, ESPN, Lindy's, Phil Steele, and Sporting News' All-SEC teams. 

Oklahawg

Quote from: MissippHog on August 23, 2016, 12:03:14 am
I felt like Skipper made more of an impact at LT two years ago than he did at RT last year.  Both the good moments and bad.   ;)

But, I just don't see why we are showing so much concern on a player that is on the preseason Outland watch list, Athlon, ESPN, Lindy's, Phil Steele, and Sporting News' All-SEC teams. 

Maybe a better way to say this than I said earlier: Skipper IS good, but where he is BEST is not LT. Ragnow is still the best OL but you'd prefer your top OL to be playing at the positions they play best, not where they are needed (thus, a compromise).
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Deep Shoat

Quote from: SuperHoganova on August 23, 2016, 01:24:57 pm
Piggus they have schuffled like crazy they cant find better at L tackle, they are trying.  This line is far from solid.  The transfer from TX hardly played for them and hes starting for us.
Ignorant take.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: SuperHoganova on August 23, 2016, 01:24:57 pm
Piggus they have schuffled like crazy they cant find better at L tackle, they are trying.  This line is far from solid.  The transfer from TX hardly played for them and hes starting for us.

Raulerson started five games in 2014, played in eight games in 2015. He didn't play a lot at Texas, but he has some experience.
[CENSORED]!

Styflin

Ragnow must play center because of the greenhorns at Guard. Skipper is by far the best choice at LT. He has plenty of experience and maturity to play that position at his highest level regardless of when he steps in (spring or fall).

They were hoping Wallace could handle LT. He couldn't. I believe they thought RG would be fine no matter what. After the cards fell on the table, they realized there were more problems than originally anticipated. It took awhile, but they have the 5 best in there right now. That means the 5 that know the job, takes coaching, commits the least penalties, and stays relatively healthy.

I anticipate changes as the year wears on. I'm not worried about Skipper at LT.