Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I need an educated opinion

Started by fanofthehog, August 02, 2013, 11:06:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

fanofthehog

I am in the middle of a diet (body fat competition with some friends of mine) and I need some advice.  I get one cheat day for every 10 days.  I am almost mesmerized by the commercials for the bacon pretzel burger from Wendy's.  For those that have tried it, is it worth it?  I only get to eat what I want once every 10 days so I want to make sure it is worth it. 

For those who are irritated that I put this on MMQB, you may get back to posting about player's twitter feeds, Bielema's sissy dogs, and how we got screwed on that terrible PI call in the 1982 SMU game.

LZH

I wouldn't think you could go wrong with anything from Wendy's that has meat, cheese, and bacon on it.

peevedpaul

What about the pretzel ballpark dog at sonic? Those look pretty good as well!

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: peevedpaul on August 02, 2013, 11:13:23 pm
What about the pretzel ballpark dog at sonic? Those look pretty good as well!
Those are excellent, indeed.

AirForceHog

I'm in Korea. What are these fantastic creations you are talking about?
If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

Mr. Porkleone

If your in Fayetteville, forget Wendy's. blow it on Hugo's Jalapeno Bacon Double cheese with fresh cut fries and 3 cokes.

Steef

Dunno about Wendy's, but I wish I did. I'm dieting also, but I don't have a 'free day'. What I DO have is high blood pressure.

But if I COULD cheat...ice cream.

LZH

Trying to lose weight, myself....a bunch.  I put on about 60 lbs when I quit smoking.  So, yeah, I've started back.

I've smoked three cigarettes since first clicking on this damn thread trying not to think about driving to Wendy's.  Thanks alot.

goodguytex

I have been fighting being overweight most of my life. Shoot, I was an olineman in hs and being big was encouraged. I got to the 300 pound range last year, started having health problems and first of the year I decided to take control so I got the weight down and I'm 215 now, trying for 190. Big thing for me has been get exercise,  at least 30 minutes a day,  drink at least half a gallon of water a day, and try not to eat late. You do those things, and limit yourself to one cheat day a week on the eating stuff bad for you, you will lose the weight. It has certainly worked for me. Good luck to all of you trying to lose the weight. Be strong, hang in there and don't give up.

Steef

Quote from: goodguytex on August 02, 2013, 11:27:45 pm
I have been fighting being overweight most of my life. Shoot, I was an olineman in hs and being big was encouraged. I got to the 300 pound range last year, started having health problems and first of the year I decided to take control so I got the weight down and I'm 215 now, trying for 190. Big thing for me has been get exercise,  at least 30 minutes a day,  drink at least half a gallon of water a day, and try not to eat late. You do those things, and limit yourself to one cheat day a week on the eating stuff bad for you, you will lose the weight. It has certainly worked for me. Good luck to all of you trying to lose the weight. Be strong, hang in there and don't give up.

I got hurt back in '02 and can't exercise much. This 'diet' really is just that. Cutting back on calories, fats and breads. As such, I really don't have a 'cheat day'.

I'll live. I've eaten too well for too many years.

Lost 26 pounds since January. It's slow...but then...so am I. Better than going the other way.

Gotta admit though, the Wendy's commercial does its job. Still.....ice cream.

Biggus Piggus

eat 500 calories/day for two days, then eat what you want for three.
[CENSORED]!

TazorTusk

I've lost 15 lbs in the past 6 weeks on the Weight Watchers online program.  Have been helped by some tips from a sister who has been in the program off and on over the years.  Best thing about this program is that one doesn't have to be hungry.  As long as you eat the right things, you can avoid hunger.  Most fruits and vegetables are freebies that don't count against the allowed points for a day.  (Just finished a few cheeries before calling it another successful day of staying within the point system they put forth for individuals in the program.

PM me if you are interested and need some additional information.

No financial interest.

SK
:razorback:

MRPRFCT

I don't like to get personal, but I'll give a little of my history. When I was 34, four years ago, I was diagnosed with MS. A few years before that I was always in the gym either lifting or doing BJJ, Judo, Kickboxing, etc. I started getting fatigued really badly. The harder I worked the worst I got. I had no endurance. Some other symptoms developed which led to the diagnosis. I was told to stop doing the MMA stuff. I was put on some medication, a once daily shot, that made me not want to do anything. For the next 3 years I put on about 60 lbs of fat. Late this spring my company held a "Biggest Loser" contest. I was off the shot and so I gave it a go. I lost 43 lbs in 12 weeks. I did not do any cheat meals and I did the Insanity workout. Now, I'm back in the gym and trying to get back, or at least close, to where I was. If you want to lose fat and tone up I highly recommend Insanity.

This is what a typical day of meals was for me:

1 apple in the morning
A protein shake
A fruit smoothie
Chicken breast or fish with veggies for dinner

I woke up in the morning and did my workouts before work.

LZH

Quote from: MRPRFCT on August 03, 2013, 02:23:54 am
I don't like to get personal, but I'll give a little of my history. When I was 34, four years ago, I was diagnosed with MS. A few years before that I was always in the gym either lifting or doing BJJ, Judo, Kickboxing, etc. I started getting fatigued really badly. The harder I worked the worst I got. I had no endurance. Some other symptoms developed which led to the diagnosis. I was told to stop doing the MMA stuff. I was put on some medication, a once daily shot, that made me not want to do anything. For the next 3 years I put on about 60 lbs of fat. Late this spring my company held a "Biggest Loser" contest. I was off the shot and so I gave it a go. I lost 43 lbs in 12 weeks. I did not do any cheat meals and I did the Insanity workout. Now, I'm back in the gym and trying to get back, or at least close, to where I was. If you want to lose fat and tone up I highly recommend Insanity.

This is what a typical day of meals was for me:

1 apple in the morning
A protein shake
A fruit smoothie
Chicken breast or fish with veggies for dinner

I woke up in the morning and did my workouts before work.

Now that takes determination...good for you.  Stay healthy.

MRPRFCT

Quote from: LedZepHog on August 03, 2013, 02:35:09 am
Now that takes determination...good for you.  Stay healthy.

Thanks, man.

BJOhog

i go to the local mcdonalsd and order a 1 and a quarter pounder and thats a darn good cheat 5 patties 5 cheese and i put on thousand islands from the house i think its the best burger in the world those ole gals at mcdonalds always know what im about to order so my advise is if you gonna cheat chose your cheat dont be given a stock one

LZH

Quote from: MRPRFCT on August 03, 2013, 03:44:53 am
Thanks, man.

I'll be 46 next week.  I know I can't smoke forever and it's not good to be toting this weight around, either.  A few years ago, I got on NutriSystem and Fastin diet pills (or whatever they are nowadays - starts with a 'P') and went from 290 to 230 in about five months (I still enjoyed a drink and ate out quite a bit).  But ever since I sold my business in 2011 I've been sitting around playing guitar and cooking.  Not a good idea.  I'm back up over 280 and I can feel it.  I know if I don't make a real effort to do something about it pretty soon I'm afraid my health is gonna begin to suffer.  It's time.

MRPRFCT

Quote from: LedZepHog on August 03, 2013, 04:06:51 am
I'll be 46 next week.  I know I can't smoke forever and it's not good to be toting this weight around, either.  A few years ago, I got on NutriSystem and Fastin diet pills (or whatever they are nowadays - starts with a 'P') and went from 290 to 230 in about five months (I still enjoyed a drink and ate out quite a bit).  But ever since I sold my business in 2011 I've been sitting around playing guitar and cooking.  Not a good idea.  I'm back up over 280 and I can feel it.  I know if I don't make a real effort to do something about it pretty soon I'm afraid my health is gonna begin to suffer.  It's time.

You're right and it isn't easy, but I don't doubt you can do it. You just have to take that first step and win each rep.

LZH

Quote from: MRPRFCT on August 03, 2013, 04:28:47 am
You're right and it isn't easy, but I don't doubt you can do it. You just have to take that first step and win each rep.

Whoa there cuz, sounds like you're talking about working out.  Let's not get too carried away, here.              :)

I tell you what, a few years ago I got rid of the crackheads and loafers on the crews and started helping the guys put in jobs myself, being a grunt and gopher mostly, instead of riding around in the golf cart or sitting around watching ESPN and telling lies on Hogville all day.  Working in the summer heat did wonders for me, I hadn't felt that good in a long time.  When I go back to work this fall, I'm gonna do it again...not hiring a bunch of 'helpers'.  Besides saving money, it makes me feel better.

goodguytex

Quote from: LedZepHog on August 03, 2013, 04:06:51 am
yeah, I was in the same boat last year. I'm in management at my job too which added to my stress. I developed a stomach ulcer, high blood pressure. I tipped the scale at 305. I went to the doctor first of the year. He looked at my blood work, looked me in the eye, told me ''you are dead in a year if you don't make drastic changes now, and I mean right now.'' So I did. Blood pressure is better, stomach ulcer is much better, and I hope I have avoided the major heart attack in my future. I wanna live a long life. And I hope I will now. 215 sure feels better that 305. Now if I can just lose this last 25 pounds.

goodguytex

LedZep, get control, change your eating habits and start a routine. Don't eat at night and drink at least a half gallon of water every day. Cut out sodas, fried food and eating at night. Maybe ease off the bread too. That will help. Life is too short buddy. You can do it.

goodguytex

Btw, nutri system is a great diet program to be on. I tried it for awhile. It helps you develop great add on eating habits within the program. You start eating more veggies too. Which I hate, btw. One thing I have started doing this last two months is for my last meal of the day at around 6:30 I eat a banana and yogurt. Nothing after that. If I get very hungry at bedtime I keep some rice chex on hand or Quaker popped stuff and eat a few bites of that. Very low in calories.

MRPRFCT

Quote from: LedZepHog on August 03, 2013, 04:46:16 am
Whoa there cuz, sounds like you're talking about working out.  Let's not get too carried away, here.              :)

I tell you what, a few years ago I got rid of the crackheads and loafers on the crews and started helping the guys put in jobs myself, being a grunt and gopher mostly, instead of riding around in the golf cart or sitting around watching ESPN and telling lies on Hogville all day.  Working in the summer heat did wonders for me, I hadn't felt that good in a long time.  When I go back to work this fall, I'm gonna do it again...not hiring a bunch of 'helpers'.  Besides saving money, it makes me feel better.

Probably silly but I look at everything as reps.

LZH

Quote from: MRPRFCT on August 03, 2013, 05:16:02 am
Probably silly but I look at everything as reps.

Hey, it's worked.

I actually don't eat that poorly.  Too much sugar makes me feel kinda bad...been that way since I was young, so I really don't eat alot of bread or sweets and I'm not a coke drinker or iced tea drinker.  I love veggies and salads (I use too much dressing, tho).  And I drink water all day long, I have a bottle next to me at all times.  Most of my problem is eating too much, eating late, and snacking often.  Since I don't have much of a regular schedule, I'm up at all hours so leftovers don't last very long around here.  I figure when I get busy again alot of that will stop.

LZH

Quote from: goodguytex on August 03, 2013, 05:09:36 am
yeah, I was in the same boat last year. I'm in management at my job too which added to my stress. I developed a stomach ulcer, high blood pressure. I tipped the scale at 305. I went to the doctor first of the year. He looked at my blood work, looked me in the eye, told me ''you are dead in a year if you don't make drastic changes now, and I mean right now.'' So I did. Blood pressure is better, stomach ulcer is much better, and I hope I have avoided the major heart attack in my future. I wanna live a long life. And I hope I will now. 215 sure feels better that 305. Now if I can just lose this last 25 pounds.

Shoot, I haven't been 215 since college.  At 6'2", I'd be quite giddy with 225 or so.

goodguytex

I'm 6 foot 2 and a half. So maybe I'm where I need to be? I was told I need to be 190. I'm trying to get there but it sure is hard to do.sounds like you have some good eating habits. I work evening shift alot, and get off at 9:30. Sounds like you need to do what I started doing... Eat around 6:30 then nothing after that unless its veggies or rice chex or something else low cal.

LZH

Quote from: goodguytex on August 03, 2013, 05:33:38 am
I'm 6 foot 2 and a half. So maybe I'm where I need to be? I was told I need to be 190. I'm trying to get there but it sure is hard to do.sounds like you have some good eating habits. I work evening shift alot, and get off at 9:30. Sounds like you need to do what I started doing... Eat around 6:30 then nothing after that unless its veggies or rice chex or something else low cal.

If you look at a BMI chart, 190 is probably right.

I've gotta moonwalk a little on my bread intake, btw.  'Cause sausage or bacon and eggs ain't breakfast without homemade biscuits with real butter...and I do love a good cheeseburger.  In fact, I had hamburger patties and green beans at 7:00 tonite, and after reading this thread I went and slapped one of those patties on some toast with a big glass of milk.  That's another thing of mine, I drink milk pretty much with every meal...always have.

longtimeHogfan

With type II diabetes (I just take a pill) carb's are the thing.  Mrs. Longtime started counting my carbs and I dropped 50 lbs like a stone.  No 'cheat' days, just 5 small, sensible meals a day and don't skip any.  Lots of fruit and veggies, fish, smaller portions of steak, etc.  Feel better, look better.  Went from 40" pants to needing a 35" if they made 'em and I'd like to lose 10 more lbs.  Probably get into a 34 if I did. 

P.S.  ....and I'm never hungry.
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

Pathogen

Ultimately it is not about any fad diet.  It's not about carbohydrates, protein, fat, etc.  It is simply about calorie intake vs. calorie expenditure.  If you burn more calories in a day than you take in, you will lose weight, no matter what you eat.  If you don't, you will gain weight, no matter what you eat.

As for diets, that is what all of them attempt to accomplish (reduced calorie intake).  Just find the one that works for you, but your body must have some fat, some protein, and some carbs, so don't do a diet that eliminates any of those completely.

As for the OP.  Go eat the burger.  Just go light on your other meals that day.  If you get too Nazi about any diet, you will fail in the longer term.

DallasHogFan

This might be a little off subject, but cheat days are completely unnecessary and usually lead to mega binges. Weigh loss (and fat loss) are a direct result of calories in/calories out. There are plenty of calculators out there to figure out your macro nutrient needs. You can lose weight eating big macs and twinkies, but obviously that's stupid. That being said, live your life and eat some nutrient rich food and have a cheeseburger every no and then when you want one. search IIFYM (If it fits your macros) and go from there. Fad diets and cutting out carbs or fats are an endless cycle of weight loss hell. Enjoy life and use real science and understand the math behind it. Good luck!
Let me tell you what Melba Toast is packin' right here, all right. We got 4:11 Positrac outback, 750 double pumper, Edelbrock intake, bored over 30, 11 to 1 pop-up pistons, turbo-jet 390 horsepower. We're talkin' some "Hogville Censored" muscle. -Wooderson

DallasHogFan

Quote from: fvillehog on August 03, 2013, 01:26:46 pm
Ultimately it is not about any fad diet.  It's not about carbohydrates, protein, fat, etc.  It is simply about calorie intake vs. calorie expenditure.  If you burn more calories in a day than you take in, you will lose weight, no matter what you eat.  If you don't, you will gain weight, no matter what you eat.

As for diets, that is what all of them attempt to accomplish (reduced calorie intake).  Just find the one that works for you, but your body must have some fat, some protein, and some carbs, so don't do a diet that eliminates any of those completely.

As for the OP.  Go eat the burger.  Just go light on your other meals that day.  If you get too Nazi about any diet, you will fail in the longer term.

Lol I just say this. A fellow BB.com guy, eh? Great advice here.
Let me tell you what Melba Toast is packin' right here, all right. We got 4:11 Positrac outback, 750 double pumper, Edelbrock intake, bored over 30, 11 to 1 pop-up pistons, turbo-jet 390 horsepower. We're talkin' some "Hogville Censored" muscle. -Wooderson

Pyrotechnician

I've slowly gained from about 210 up to 270 over the years.  One of my main problems is not the will to work out or lose weight, its the heart palpitations that I have when I get everything running too fast.   Had many holters and been told that its not really serious but have been advised to stop working out if that is causing them.   I'll say this, they make you feel bad, sometimes you lose your breath, even get dizzy  from them at times if you have too many in a row.  If I have very many it drains my energy for a whole day and I feel really fatigued.  One doc told me that they shouldnt kill me but that you just never know what could happen when your heart starts beating irregular.  I do have irregular beats, but they wont do much about it unless you are continuously having them.   Thus my delima, I want to work out and stay in shape but it usually cost me some miserable days in the process.  I also have kids and dont want to do something to leave them without a father.  I have to face reality, at my weight I feel fine, get around good and don't have too many days of heart problems, but when I get real active day after day I start having problems and to be honest I'd rather be somewhat overweight, happy and alive than in shape, feeling bad and taking a chance of inducing an irregular heart rhythm that does me in.
SEC Referees Oath concerning the Arkansas Razorbacks.

I swear to throw the flag...the whole flag and nothing but the flag so help me Mike Slive!

Pathogen

Quote from: Pyrotechnician on August 03, 2013, 01:39:31 pmHad many holters and been told that its not really serious but have been advised to stop working out if that is causing them.   I'll say this, they make you feel bad, sometimes you lose your breath, even get dizzy  from them at times if you have too many in a row. 

Have they given you a formal diagnosis?  Most dysrythmias can be treated.

Pathogen

Quote from: DallasHogFan on August 03, 2013, 01:37:48 pm
A fellow BB.com guy, eh? Great advice here.

Haha, no.  Healthcare provider.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: fanofthehog on August 02, 2013, 11:06:34 pm
I am in the middle of a diet (body fat competition with some friends of mine) and I need some advice.  I get one cheat day for every 10 days.  I am almost mesmerized by the commercials for the bacon pretzel burger from Wendy's.  For those that have tried it, is it worth it?  I only get to eat what I want once every 10 days so I want to make sure it is worth it. 

For those who are irritated that I put this on MMQB, you may get back to posting about player's twitter feeds, Bielema's sissy dogs, and how we got screwed on that terrible PI call in the 1982 SMU game.
This is Hogville.  Therefore I can assure you that you'll get hundreds of opinions. Whether or not any of them are educated is a WHOLE different matter! :)

Pyrotechnician

Quote from: fvillehog on August 03, 2013, 01:54:09 pm
Have they given you a formal diagnosis?  Most dysrythmias can be treated.

No, I've lived with it since high school and now I am 43.  But there have been times I thought I was gone becasue my heart would get into a weird rhythm for 20 or 30 seconds at a time and about pass out and get to feeling really strange like my head was being squeezed tight.  I was told on my last 24 hr holter that I had a total of 400+ episodes and 137 of them were of concern.  I can vouch that those known episodes happened from 2pm until 8 pm that night and then stopped and I had no more the other 18 hours.  They know its definitely electrical and valve related, at least thats what they say.  I kind of got the run around the last time though, my doc was on vacation, I got shifted to another one and it was close to the weekend.  They called a doc at the Heart Hospital in LR and he took a quick look, he was a russian doctor is all I can remember.  He suggested I take 10mg of atenolol per day to supress the symtoms.  Problem is I was alreay on 50mg Atenolol and 50/12.5mg  Hyzaar (for high BP) a day.  I kind of got brushed under the rug so to speak.   So I live with it and I have my good days and my bad.  My family doc seems very concerned about the though and is worried that I may just fall over dead someday from this electrical problem.  I try not to think to much about it and just live life and enjoy.

I've heard words like pvc,pac, bundle branch block and others I cant remember.  The thing they tell me is that most of the time when I have them I remain in sinus rhythm.

When I have these Palpitations, it feels like your heart skips a beat but in reality its a delayed beat where you have two real quick ones right together.   Problem is I was having about 20 of these per minute a month or two ago when I wore the holter.

And I apologize to the OP, I am not trying to steal you thread, I just wanted to explain why I have such a hard time working out, I wish I could do it without the fear of having heart arrythmias

I swear to throw the flag...the whole flag and nothing but the flag so help me Mike Slive!

Pathogen

Quote from: Pyrotechnician on August 03, 2013, 02:10:49 pm
I've heard words like pvc,pac, bundle branch block and others I cant remember.  The thing they tell me is that most of the time when I have them I remain in sinus rhythm.

When I have these Palpitations, it feels like your heart skips a beat but in reality its a delayed beat where you have two real quick ones right together.   Problem is I was having about 20 of these per minute a month or two ago when I wore the holter.

The PAC's (premature atrial contractions) and/or PVC's (premature ventricular contractions) are likely what causes the symptoms of palpitations, weakness, dizziness, etc.  Both cause your heart to beat too soon, which prevents the heart from filling with enough blood before it beats, so when it beats, very little blood gets pumped out.  Do that enough times in a row, and it causes the symptoms you describe. A BBB is sort of the opposite, where the heart waits to long to beat (as opposed to beating too soon like with PAC and PVC) - it too can cause similar symptoms if there are enough pauses or the pauses are long.

At any rate, beta blocker's (like atenolol) can help some (w/PAC's and PVC's), but there are many other meds too.  Also, a procedure called an RFA (radio frequency ablation) can treat and even cure some specific heart arrhythmias, but only a cardiologist/electrophysiologist could tell you if RFA could work in your case.  Have you seen a cardiologist and has anyone said anything about other meds or RFA?

I too apologize to the OP for derailing the thread a bit. ;)

Pyrotechnician

August 03, 2013, 02:52:46 pm #37 Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 03:10:26 pm by Pyrotechnician
Quote from: fvillehog on August 03, 2013, 02:43:59 pm
The PAC's (premature atrial contractions) and/or PVC's (premature ventricular contractions) are likely what causes the symptoms of palpitations, weakness, dizziness, etc.  Both cause your heart to beat too soon, which prevents the heart from filling with enough blood before it beats, so when it beats, very little blood gets pumped out.  Do that enough times in a row, and it causes the symptoms you describe. A BBB is sort of the opposite, where the heart waits to long to beat (as opposed to beating too soon like with PAC and PVC) - it too can cause similar symptoms if there are enough pauses or the pauses are long.

At any rate, beta blocker's (like atenolol) can help some (w/PAC's and PVC's), but there are many other meds too.  Also, a procedure called an RFA (radio frequency ablation) can treat and even cure some specific heart arrhythmias, but only a cardiologist/electrophysiologist could tell you if RFA could work in your case.  Have you seen a cardiologist and has anyone said anything about other meds or RFA?

I too apologize to the OP for derailing the thread a bit. ;)

When I was in my 30's they discussed at the Heart hospital doing an EP study on me where they try to induce the arrythmias.  I think some of my neglect thru the years has been because of insurance.  At times I had some and other I have not.  I did have a head up tilt test done at Baptist about 13 years ago...I failed the test and they passed me out....not a good feeling at all...woke up all sweaty and sick feeling.  The Cardiologist who performed the test on me DR. K we will call her, she suggested 100mg of atenolol per day.  I tried it for a while but experienced more symptoms on the higher dose.  Tried 100mg Toporol XL once a day but but I began having frequent dizzy spells.  A 24 hr holter revealed that I was having heart pauses, some as much as 5 seconds in between beats while asleep.  At that point DR H from Forth Smith at the time , decided that me and toporol didnt mix and it was stopped immeadiately.  They tried once to completely take me off of everything but 3 days later I ended up in the ER with a heart rate of 150 while sitting.  After the ER doc spoke with Cardiologist at LR heart hospital, it was decided that I could never be off of atenolol for the rest of my life.  Without the Atenolol my heart runs away.

I appreciate your input and you trying to help, thank you for caring.

To the OP, I tried a diet several years ago similar to whay Steefhog described.  Because I had problems exercising my only option was to cut back on my eating and that is exactly what I did.  I went from 274 right after the bowl games in janurary  to 234 in April.  All I did was basically not eat in the morning, eat a small lunch, maybe a turkey sandwhich with one glass of coke and 10 chips.  At supper instead of eating 4 pieces of pizza I at 2 and 5 chicken strips I ate 2.   I cut out most sweets, I only drank cokes with meals.  Any other drink during the day was water.  I ate my supper around 6-7 pm....I usually didnt go to bet until midnight.   So by cutting way back on my food, but still eating what I always had, by drinking cokes only with my meals and by basically eliminating sweets I lost 40 lbs in 4 months and really never worked out.  Now I do have a farm so I walk a lot each day and I suppose that helped some but I still walk now like I did then and I'm back up to 270 because not only do I support the hogs....I eat like a hog...lol.

Pathogen

Quote from: Pyrotechnician on August 03, 2013, 02:52:46 pm
When I was in my 30's they discussed at the Heart hospital doing an EP study on me where they try to induce the arrythmias.

I'd ask about RFA next time you get a chance, though it would be expensive without insurance.  Keep bird-dogging it and good luck.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on August 02, 2013, 11:18:12 pm
If your in Fayetteville, forget Wendy's. blow it on Hugo's Jalapeno Bacon Double cheese with fresh cut fries and 3 cokes.

THIS !!!!
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

HF#1

Educated opinion on Hogville = Need in a haystack.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: HogFan#1 on August 03, 2013, 03:39:23 pm
Educated opinion on Hogville = Need in a haystack.

...and this speaks to it directly.   ;)   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

DCimport

Build your own.  I always get the b team when it comes to fast food and regret not going to the grocery store to pick out my own ingredients and putting it together myself. Drinking Beer grilling my own burger is where it's at.

mhuff

I would go somewhere and get a rack of ribs. Great way to pig out and get protein. This way you could kill two birds with one stone. It's junk food we all have to get away from ;otherwise, the pounds will jump back on plus some more.

hogfansince79

Try a whole food - plant based diet.

This is a lifestyle change, not a fad diet.  It has really changed my life.

I woke up one morning a couple of years ago and was stretching my back (knees to chest) before getting out of bed.  I started to feel like someone (or something very heavy) was sitting on my chest, and I had moderate pain in my left jaw and neck radiating down my left arm.  It seemed like it lasted for hours, but in reality it was just a couple of minutes.  My wife wanted to call 911, but I told her no.

My dad had quadruple heart bypass years ago, and I've known several people that have gotten stents put in.  I didn't want either one.  The first is completely radical, and the second is a temporary solution.

So,  I started, what ended up being, several months of research.  I read hundreds, if not thousands of pages of medical research, and watched hours of documentaries, and then researched the documentaries to find an answer.

In my very first search I found two time Nobel Prize recipient Linus Pauling's research on vitamin C (and amino acids lysine and proline).  I started taking a supplement that had all three in it, and slowly started to feel better over the next few weeks.

Then I found out about diet.  Everyone knows the Standard American Diet (SAD) is crap, but I didn't know there was anything better.  We (Americans) have been lied to forever about what we need to eat to be healthy.  The only thing that has gotten healthy is the people's wallets who make non-nutritional processed crap food, and the sick care industry who treats them. (/end rant)

Long story short... is I never went to the doctor, so I don't know what my numbers were except 3 or 4 years ago my blood pressure was something like 140 something over 94.  This past January I finally got a check up and my numbers were...

blood pressure  112/78
total cholesterol   128
HDL  51
LDL  60
triglycerides   88
fasting glucose   86

I've also lost about 55 lbs, exercise daily, and have never felt better.  I turn 57 in 10 days.

You guys with degenerative diseases (type II diabetes, heart disease, etc.) can heal yourselves.  It has been proved over and over again.

But, don't take my word for it... do the research for your self.  Just remember... fad diets do not work, you will always gain the weight back plus more.

http://www.heartattackproof.com/

http://www.tcolincampbell.org/

http://www.engine2diet.com

http://www.drmcdougall.com
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin

goodguytex

Quote from: Pyrotechnician on August 03, 2013, 02:52:46 pm
When I was in my 30's they discussed at the Heart hospital doing an EP study on me where they try to induce the arrythmias.  I think some of my neglect thru the years has been because of insurance.  At times I had some and other I have not.  I did have a head up tilt test done at Baptist about 13 years ago...I failed the test and they passed me out....not a good feeling at all...woke up all sweaty and sick feeling.  The Cardiologist who performed the test on me DR. K we will call her, she suggested 100mg of atenolol per day.  I tried it for a while but experienced more symptoms on the higher dose.  Tried 100mg Toporol XL once a day but but I began having frequent dizzy spells.  A 24 hr holter revealed that I was having heart pauses, some as much as 5 seconds in between beats while asleep.  At that point DR H from Forth Smith at the time , decided that me and toporol didnt mix and it was stopped immeadiately.  They tried once to completely take me off of everything but 3 days later I ended up in the ER with a heart rate of 150 while sitting.  After the ER doc spoke with Cardiologist at LR heart hospital, it was decided that I could never be off of atenolol for the rest of my life.  Without the Atenolol my heart runs away.

I appreciate your input and you trying to help, thank you for caring.

To the OP, I tried a diet several years ago similar to whay Steefhog described.  Because I had problems exercising my only option was to cut back on my eating and that is exactly what I did.  I went from 274 right after the bowl games in janurary  to 234 in April.  All I did was basically not eat in the morning, eat a small lunch, maybe a turkey sandwhich with one glass of coke and 10 chips.  At supper instead of eating 4 pieces of pizza I at 2 and 5 chicken strips I ate 2.   I cut out most sweets, I only drank cokes with meals.  Any other drink during the day was water.  I ate my supper around 6-7 pm....I usually didnt go to bet until midnight.   So by cutting way back on my food, but still eating what I always had, by drinking cokes only with my meals and by basically eliminating sweets I lost 40 lbs in 4 months and really never worked out.  Now I do have a farm so I walk a lot each day and I suppose that helped some but I still walk now like I did then and I'm back up to 270 because not only do I support the hogs....I eat like a hog...lol.
i can only speak for myself and what works for me, noone else. But what I have been doing has made me 90-95 pounds lighter, since first of the year, so something is working...with your irregular heartbeat, you do have to be careful about how you exercise. So I would suggest you do the following... Drink at least half a gallon of water every day. Try to shoot for a gallon if you can. Second, quit drinking soft drinks and beer that is high in calories. Third, quit eating things with processed sugar while you are trying to lose the weight.

Next, stop the fast food while trying to lose the weight. Just incorporate more healthy things into your diet like eating more fruit, more grilled chicken, less pork, less beef, try to eliminate processed foods right now. Eat more fish if you can. Eat more yogurt. Then don't eat late at night. At 6:30 eat something light like a piece of fruit and yogurt, then try not to eat again. That way when you go to sleep you aren't laying there with that fat just building inside you. Exercise... You don't have to work out to get exercise. You can walk around the Walmart parking lot, or walk around the block. Just please be careful, and watch your caffeine intake and medication that can give you irregular heartbeat.  Oh, and by doing what I have done I have not binged. Period.

DEVICEHIGH

My problem is that I'm either good or bad. Nothing in between. When I'm good. I'm all in and nazi about it.

That and beer.
Hillbilly? I prefer Appalachian American

Faedian7

I have found so long as I make more good decisions about what I eat most weeks than bad decisions I end up doing pretty well weight wise. You have to have some sort of 'cheat' because it will just make you burn out more quicky.

Hogfly

So much this. There are a thousand ways to achieve the same results, but they all boil down to calories in vs. calories out.

As some others have said, I'm also an all or nothing guy. When I'm eating, I want to eat what I want to eat (within reason). If someone brings baked goods to work, I want to be able to have it without sweating it. If I want to go out and eat ice cream without guilt, I'll do it. For me, the ticket has been Intermittent Fasting because it allows me to eat what I want when I eat while still keeping overall caloric count over a given period below base metabolic rate through occasional fasts.

I also much prefer working out in a fasted state and enjoy the mental discipline of a fast.