Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I've been challenged

Started by pigture perfect, March 16, 2013, 09:55:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pigture perfect

A friend of mine has challenged me to run in a 5K to benefit the Morgan Nick Foundation. Colleen is a personal friend and I really do want to help. The problem is that I used to be a runner, but haven't in about 15 years. I have really put on quite a bit of bulk in the last few years and need to lose some fairly quickly. I am 6'4 320 and 48 years old. I'm in good health and strong. My problem is with the cardio part. Anything I can do to lose weight, build endurance but maintain strength would be appreciated. I've got a little over 2 months. Any suggestions besides just running? I am doing that already.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Iamphatman

Quote from: pigture perfect on March 16, 2013, 09:55:37 pm
A friend of mine has challenged me to run in a 5K to benefit the Morgan Nick Foundation. Colleen is a personal friend and I really do want to help. The problem is that I used to be a runner, but haven't in about 15 years. I have really put on quite a bit of bulk in the last few years and need to lose some fairly quickly. I am 6'4 320 and 48 years old. I'm in good health and strong. My problem is with the cardio part. Anything I can do to lose weight, build endurance but maintain strength would be appreciated. I've got a little over 2 months. Any suggestions besides just running? I am doing that already.

Crossfit.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: Iamphatman on March 16, 2013, 11:33:44 pm
Crossfit.

X2, except Crossfit wont be enough. Not in that short period of time.

You need to supplement the WODs, a lot. Actually I would use a different approach altogether. The Crossfit WOD of the day should be about 1/3 of your workout if you are really wanting to make progress in 2 months.

Tripod1

Think about a run/walk approach.  Say 4/1 run walk ratio.  That short of time it will be hard to get your cardio where you want it and ramping up too fast could lead to injury.  A great cause and your main goal should be supporting that cause by registering and FINISHING.  I promise you won't be last.  Then let this start be the beginning to the "new you" and next year you can crush this years finish time.  Oh,  go to a running store and get the proper shoe.

Buff

I got challenged to do a Warrior Dash.  You wanna trade friends?

DeltaBoy

Go do it and good luck!  At my age I would be pumped just to be invited.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

pigture perfect

Quote from: Tripod1 on March 17, 2013, 08:33:15 am
Think about a run/walk approach.  Say 4/1 run walk ratio.  That short of time it will be hard to get your cardio where you want it and ramping up too fast could lead to injury.  A great cause and your main goal should be supporting that cause by registering and FINISHING.  I promise you won't be last.  Then let this start be the beginning to the "new you" and next year you can crush this years finish time.  Oh,  go to a running store and get the proper shoe.
This seems very wise to me. Thanks for the encouragement.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

pigture perfect

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 19, 2013, 02:22:27 pm
Go do it and good luck!  At my age I would be pumped just to be invited.
I think you and I are the same age aren't we?

pigture perfect

Quote from: Buff on March 17, 2013, 12:28:59 pm
I got challenged to do a Warrior Dash.  You wanna trade friends?
Not just no, but NOOOOO! lol

DeltaBoy

Quote from: pigture perfect on March 19, 2013, 02:29:18 pm
I think you and I are the same age aren't we?

I am 47 and survivor of 6 major auto accidents , I have broken over 40 bones , have a degenerated right ankle joint and a Lower back that goes out if I turn and look at a Hot chicks backside too quickly.  Some days I walk great but I have not been able to run at all since the wreck in 2006.  I hope and pray if your my age you got a lot less wear and tear on you than I do.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

RazrRila99

Warrior Dashes are EASY.  And this coming from an out of shape fat white guy.  Its barely 5k and at the obstacles you spend time catching your breath.  Its not that bad at all.  Unless its ALL hills as it was in KC in 2011. 

Just get out and do it, thats the best advice I can give.  ive seen Crossfit, not for me. 

clutch

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 19, 2013, 02:33:18 pm
I am 47 and survivor of 6 major auto accidents , I have broken over 40 bones , have a degenerated right ankle joint and a Lower back that goes out if I turn and look at a Hot chicks backside too quickly.  Some days I walk great but I have not been able to run at all since the wreck in 2006.  I hope and pray if your my age you got a lot less wear and tear on you than I do.

I think it's about time you quit driving.

clutch

Quote from: Cole1976 on March 19, 2013, 02:45:22 pm
Warrior Dashes are EASY.  And this coming from an out of shape fat white guy.  Its barely 5k and at the obstacles you spend time catching your breath.  Its not that bad at all.  Unless its ALL hills as it was in KC in 2011. 

Just get out and do it, thats the best advice I can give.  ive seen Crossfit, not for me. 

I agree. Warrior Dash isn't bad at all. Now Tough Mudder is another story.

Buff

Quote from: clutch on March 19, 2013, 06:25:03 pm
I agree. Warrior Dash isn't bad at all. Now Tough Mudder is another story.

It's a cousin who challenged me.  She runs 10k's, half marathons, and wants to do a full marathon.  I'm afraid she's going to one day try to con me into a Tough Mudder run too.  I lift weights, my cardio work has been lagging these past many months.

DOGALUM

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 19, 2013, 02:33:18 pm
That explains the affinity for Robert Shields.   Head injury.
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

Buff

DeltaBoy

Quote from: clutch on March 19, 2013, 06:24:33 pm
I think it's about time you quit driving.

My Dad was driving for the first 2 and one I was hit while riding a bicycle.  The rest I have been T boned by a lady running a stop light on Univeristy in LR, Rearended in Fort Worth TX and hit head on by a guy who failed to yield to me as I got on the Interstate.

Momma said I am like the Lost Dog sign that says Lost Dog  has left ear missing, blind in right eys and a bobbed tail and missing his left hing leg he answers to Lucky.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: DOGALUM on March 19, 2013, 06:45:27 pm
That explains the affinity for Robert Shields.   Head injury.

Nope I have a abnormally thick skull according to Dr's and their x-rays. My skull in 3 times thicker than the average person.  I have gave head injurys but not recieved or had any documented.
I like RS cause he is an average fan and he stirres the pot on MMQB.

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: Tripod1 on March 17, 2013, 08:33:15 am

^^^This^^^

If it were me I'd map out a route equivalent to a 5K and walk/jog it twice a week while doing 1 mile jogs once or twice a week as well at a faster pace. Eventually your jogs will become longer and your walks shorter.

Another trick I've used before to improve my endurance quickly is also to incorporate 400m and 200m sprints into my program once a week to improve my overall lung capacity which aids in longer distance as well. Of course that would depend on your current fitness level and how your joints are. The one thing I will say is they SUCK but they also work really well.

Anyway you'll be fine a 5K isn't as hard as you're probably thinking and all that matters is that you finish.

Another thing I will second is to go get some good running shoes. You'll thank us later I promise.

Good Luck!     
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

Hogsmo Kramer

PP just found this too it's called "Couch to 5K in 8 weeks".

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

It kinda breaks down how to start off with a walk run to eventually achieve a 5K without stopping by 8 weeks.

Hope that helps.
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

clutch

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on March 24, 2013, 11:33:01 pm

It kinda breaks down how to start off with a walk run to eventually achieve a 5K without stopping by 8 weeks.

Hope that helps.

This works. My mom is over 50 and with this program she was running 5ks in less than 8 weeks. She went from not running at all to 5ks pretty quickly.

JethroB.

If you have an IPhone, I used the c25k app. It gradually is designed to get you from the couch to a 5k. I did have a few of the days that i had to do more than once but it got me there. I also lost quite a bit of weight combining that with watching my calorie intake.

JethroB.

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on March 24, 2013, 11:33:01 pm

Hope that helps.
beat me to it