Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Diet Help

Started by ATU HOG, February 25, 2013, 09:50:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ATU HOG

Need help cleaning up my diet a little bit.  I'm in college at the U of A and have a meal plan so I eat on campus about once a day. 

Most of my meals include:
Lunch- Grilled chicken, rice, (and some other vegetables)
Snack- Protein shake
Dinner- Grilled chicken and green beans, peas, or pinto beans.

Majority of the time it's a 2 meal day thing, that doesn't involve a lot of snacking.  I know that I need to have some healthier snacks, but with my schedule and work it's hard to come by. 

What are some ways I can improve on this some.  And how bad is it too cheat a little on some snacks?

Hogfly

Quote from: ATU HOG on February 25, 2013, 09:50:10 pm
Need help cleaning up my diet a little bit.  I'm in college at the U of A and have a meal plan so I eat on campus about once a day. 

Snack- Protein shake

Majority of the time it's a 2 meal day thing, that doesn't involve a lot of snacking.  I know that I need to have some healthier snacks, but with my schedule and work it's hard to come by. 

What are some ways I can improve on this some.  And how bad is it too cheat a little on some snacks?

I'll be curious to see the reaction I get here (as it's a controversial topic), but have you looked into Intermittent Fasting?

Brad Pilon, author of the book Eat Stop Eat, has a good blog that covers a lot of information on the practice:
http://bradpilon.com/

Here's his introduction to the theory of IF:
http://bradpilon.com/introduction-to-intermittent-fasting/

ATU HOG

I workout a lot, so I don't think not eating is what I'm looking for.

Hogfly

Quote from: ATU HOG on February 25, 2013, 10:02:35 pm
I workout a lot, so I don't think not eating is what I'm looking for.

Most people who do IF work out a lot. But good luck in "cleaning up your diet." 

If you're looking for healthy snacks: almonds, nuts and other raw food would be my suggestion.

hvsupastar

Be honest with you what you listed as eating is great. But you have to get tired of that all the time.  I would suggest some fruits for snacks and diversify your veggie intake. . . . . . . . . A good friend of mine always tells people '' if it doesn't grow or didn't used to eat something that grows, don't put it in your body''
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

clutch

I keep raw nuts, various healthy snack bars, and protein at my desk to snack throughout the day. I've gotten to where I really like yogurt lately too. I always hear cottage cheese is a good snack, but I don't like it.

HuntinHog

Snack- Protein shake

Go eat breakfast.  If you have a meal plan the breakfast window is from like 5 to ten, so you can't claim no time.  Just mix up fruit, eggs, and bacon every day.  Then you can lower how much you'll eat at lunch and dinner.

I did the one or two big meal a day thing through a lot of college...that doesn't work.  It's like having a cheat day every day because you go nuts on your one meal and just rationalize it with the calorie math in your head.

daprospecta

Quote from: Hogfly on February 25, 2013, 09:54:52 pm
I'll be curious to see the reaction I get here (as it's a controversial topic), but have you looked into Intermittent Fasting?

Brad Pilon, author of the book Eat Stop Eat, has a good blog that covers a lot of information on the practice:
http://bradpilon.com/

Here's his introduction to the theory of IF:
http://bradpilon.com/introduction-to-intermittent-fasting/

This. I've done it and it's not bad at all. Basically, IIRC you have 8 hours out of the day where you eat all your food for the day. Mine was 12-8.

ATU HOG

Quote from: hvsupastar on February 25, 2013, 10:18:06 pm
Be honest with you what you listed as eating is great. But you have to get tired of that all the time.  I would suggest some fruits for snacks and diversify your veggie intake. . . . . . . . . A good friend of mine always tells people '' if it doesn't grow or didn't used to eat something that grows, don't put it in your body''
It does get old sometimes.  I have some fish in the freezer I can cook.   

ATU HOG

Quote from: HuntinHog on February 25, 2013, 10:30:15 pm
Go eat breakfast.  If you have a meal plan the breakfast window is from like 5 to ten, so you can't claim no time.  Just mix up fruit, eggs, and bacon every day.  Then you can lower how much you'll eat at lunch and dinner.

I did the one or two big meal a day thing through a lot of college...that doesn't work.  It's like having a cheat day every day because you go nuts on your one meal and just rationalize it with the calorie math in your head.
It's just hard to get to breakfast sometimes.  I work in Springdale and have to be there at 6 sometimes in the morning and the go back during the afternoons.  So I try to limit driving as much as possible from going to work, school, and back to my apartment.  I'll give it a shot though if that'll help me not be as hungry at night.  I guess planning better would be a start.

I guess my biggest problem is eating dinner at 7 and being hungry at 9:30.

ATU HOG

And I try to eat like that everyday, but I do use cheat meals.  Maybe 2 or 3 a week.  If the car has chicken fried steak, it's hard to pass that up every other tuesday, but I did a couple weeks ago  ;D

HuntinHog

Quote from: ATU HOG on February 25, 2013, 11:01:17 pm
It's just hard to get to breakfast sometimes.  I work in Springdale and have to be there at 6 sometimes in the morning and the go back during the afternoons.  So I try to limit driving as much as possible from going to work, school, and back to my apartment.  I'll give it a shot though if that'll help me not be as hungry at night.  I guess planning better would be a start.

I guess my biggest problem is eating dinner at 7 and being hungry at 9:30.

Well, and this may just be the old guy in me coming out, just go to bed!

yraciv

Well I'll tell you what worked for me, and even though I've graduated I eat like a college kid when not watching my calories. Can't cook a lick!  If you drink sodas at all find a diet sub you like. I'll still drink manly full calorie drinks when out at a restaurant, but that small replacement cut at least 250 calories out of my diet per day.  Snack food around the house, include Nutri Grain bars and Fiber One Bars, and that is it. Nothing to tempt you around the house, and if you want to cheat take a weekend trip for some froyo.  I also lived off Subway Turkey sandwiches, and when I wanted fast food I'd sub a fruit cup to go with my chicken sandwich at Chik Fil A.  Rationalize though, I'd get a 6' and those low fat Snapz Apple Chips.  And not the best tasting meals, but those low calorie frozen meals really do keep your calorie intake down. Find a couple of those you can stand 3 or 4 times a week.

That's what worked for me, on top of a moderate workout regiment.  And yes I usually skipped breakfast for similar reasons to yourself. So maybe it caused me to drag in the morning a little, it certainly didn't hurt my diet.

Hog_Fink

no starches, no sugars, except for fruit.
lean meats, veggies, water, tea, kombucha is permittable

ATU HOG

Thanks for the input.  I don't ever drink sodas.  Water for every meal, great value packages that are sugar free too.

I feel like I eat pretty healthy most of the time.  It's the every now and again late snack, or things along that nature that get me.  I'm going to buy some almonds, fruit, and some health bars for my snacks.

In the near future, I plan on getting on a routine with my meals. 

ATU HOG

I guess it's not what I eat mostly, but more along the lines of how much and when is my main problem, but majority of these responses hit it on the money.

daprospecta

Quote from: galactivation on February 26, 2013, 03:54:20 am
no starches, no sugars, except for fruit.
lean meats, veggies, water, tea, kombucha is permittable
Yea right.  How can you eat this diet and not be miserable?  What I've learned is as long as you stay below your maintenance and get your macros in, doesn't matter what you eat.  Dwight Howard came out and said he's addicted to candy and look at that guys physique.  Chad Johnson loves fast food and eats it all the time.  I had to stop reading Muscle and Fitness and all those magazines and started experimenting with what works and what doesn't.   Only time you need to eat this clean is if you don't like doing cardio.  Show me a guy that goes and gets in an hour of weights and runs 3 miles afterwards and doesn't eat starches.  That's what I do and I wouldn't make it through half of my workout on this diet.

Hog_Fink

if you're trying to lose weight. you wanna cut out bad carbs & pack on protein. like Ben Herbert said, "you can't train a bad diet"

Hogsmo Kramer

Snack- Protein shake

Not lecturing you but you might try planning ahead a little more.

When I was in college I would put my protein powder in a water bottle in my bag and just mix it with water from a water fountain and then down the hatch. I'd usually combine that with a small snack like a banana, apple, some mixed nuts or whatever.

By doing that I could have a serving of protein and some carbs/healthy fats pretty quickly so I didn't miss a meal. Heck I typically could down my protein shake and eat my snack on my way between classes so it took not time to do.

Also in the morning I'd also make a protein shake by using like 6-8 ounces skim milk a protein scoop and some mixed fruits (I use the frozen kind from the freezer section at the store since they don't go bad) and blend it with some ice cubes and a packet of splenda. Tastes just like smoothie king and is pretty filling. Another one I do is skim milk, protein scoop, 1 tablespoon natural peanut butter, cocoa powder, ice cubes and blend. Tastes like chocolate peanut butter.

Anyway those shakes in the morning take like maybe 5 minutes to make and you can drink them while driving to keep you from starting the day on an empty stomach which helps to kick start your metabolism from your overnight fast. That is why it's called break fast in the first place. You can also tweak those shake recipes to whatever you like and to fit whatever your needs are.   

One more thing is you can make your own health bars at home in the oven by simply mixing the ingredients you want into a paste and spreading it on a cookie sheet. Bake it for like 25-30 minutes til it's hard and cut them into squares. It's way cheaper and healthier and you can find plenty of recipes online.

Good luck!
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

DeltaBoy

Snack- Protein shake

Break down you in take to about 250-350 calories 4-6 times through out the day.  For me I got back on this plan and feel better with no spikes or lows.
Fruit and Nuts are my 2 favorite healty snacks and Snickers and DR Pepper or Root beer are the others.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ldfergu

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 06, 2013, 10:46:50 am
Break down you in take to about 250-350 calories 4-6 times through out the day.  For me I got back on this plan and feel better with no spikes or lows.
Fruit and Nuts are my 2 favorite healty snacks and Snickers and DR Pepper or Root beer are the others.
If the kid needs diet help Snickers, Dr Pepper and Root Beer won't get ya there.  Fruit and nuts on the other hand will.  Cutting out sugar is probably the most difficult and most beneficial change you can make IMO

DeltaBoy

Quote from: ldfergu on March 06, 2013, 12:13:05 pm
If the kid needs diet help Snickers, Dr Pepper and Root Beer won't get ya there.  Fruit and nuts on the other hand will.  Cutting out sugar is probably the most difficult and most beneficial change you can make IMO

True they are my sanity snacks the I eat one day per a week. Otherwise i don't drink soda or eat candy.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

TX HOG

Here's what I've done. I'm down 20lbs. Eating less calories. No soda. Beer on weekends. No exercise.

SwinedMelon

"Bar-keep, another go around again. One for me and whats-his-name, my new best friend!"

DeltaBoy

Also start walking at least a Mile a day or jogging.

ATU HOG

Ate pretty good today:

Breakfast- Oatmeal, 2 scoops of protein in a smoothie
Lunch- 8 pieces of grilled turkey, 3 over easy eggs
Snack- Almonds and a Ensure
Dinner- 3 pieces of chicken, 4 pieces of jumbo shrimp, a cup of white rice, and  pieces of toast. 

I'm gonna try and post my meals on here daily.  Feel free to join

RazrRila99

ATU when you say "pieces of chicken" how much you talking?  1oz pieces or a chicken breast cut up into bites?  Yeah, might be a basic question, but Im a newb. 

TX HOG

down almost 25 with no exercise

ATU HOG

Quote from: Cole1976 on March 26, 2013, 12:09:00 pm
ATU when you say "pieces of chicken" how much you talking?  1oz pieces or a chicken breast cut up into bites?  Yeah, might be a basic question, but Im a newb.
Chicken breast tenderloins, tyson brand.  I used to buy chicken breasts but I think I'm going to stick with the tenderloins.  Easier to cook.

ATU HOG

03/26

Breakfast: Oatmeal and Water
Lunch: 2 grilled chicken breasts from the caf, spanish rice, and a salad
Snack: Sunflower seeds (baseball game)
Dinner: Pre-made fajita chicken, a cup of rice, 8 pieces of grilled shrimp, and 2 pieces of toast.

DeltaBoy

ATU HOG

March 27, 2013, 02:09:19 pm #31 Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 10:51:32 pm by ATU HOG
03/27

Breakfast: Slim fast bar, and an ensure
Lunch: 2 Grilled Chicken Breast, Baked Potato, Broccoli
Snack: (Post Workout) Protein smoothie, creatine
Dinner: Cheated :( the girlfriend and I had dinner.  Eggs, sausage, Bacon, and Biscuits.  Butter and honey mixed together.  And 2 small handfuls of jelly beans

ATU HOG

Been cheating :(

Had some fried burritos for dinner last night and today I had mexican for lunch then I just snacked on some jelly beans :(

Gonna try and get back at it tonight and the rest of the weekend!!

Hog_Fink

Quote from: ATU HOG on March 29, 2013, 06:33:19 pm
Been cheating :(

Had some fried burritos for dinner last night and today I had mexican for lunch then I just snacked on some jelly beans :(

Gonna try and get back at it tonight and the rest of the weekend!!

you not eating vegetables?

ATU HOG

Quote from: galactivation on March 30, 2013, 06:02:03 pm
you not eating vegetables?
Yeah I try.. Last 2 days I haven't eaten good at all

ATU HOG

I try to eat a serving of vegetables a day.. not always successful.  I know that's bad

DeltaBoy

Eat those fruits and Veggies.

HuntinHog

Taco Bell needs to take that darn beefy crunch burrito out of circulation again, or at least charge more than a dollar for it!

HF#1

Some good snack suggestions...

Trail Mix
Dried apple chips
Apples
Oranges
banana's

All are good for you, easy to get, and easy to eat.  I'd also keep an eye on your portions.  The biggest mistake people make is portioning their food properly. 
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

clutch

Quote from: HogFan#1 on June 22, 2013, 10:35:20 pm
I'd also keep an eye on your portions.  The biggest mistake people make is portioning their food properly. 

I think that's the main problem of Americas obesity problem. The size of the average dinner plate has pretty much doubled, and of course everyone has to completely fill it up.

HF#1

Quote from: clutch on June 22, 2013, 11:04:08 pm
I think that's the main problem of Americas obesity problem. The size of the average dinner plate has pretty much doubled, and of course everyone has to completely fill it up.

Honestly with today's prices, it's hard not to if you want to get your money's worth.  I have to actually stop and think about what I'm putting on my plate now.  I used to not think about it which is why I became a fat body.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin