Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Need some help here

Started by saintchristopher, February 14, 2018, 01:57:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

saintchristopher

I am 46, 6'1 202lbs.  I need to lose about 15 pounds and get back in shape.  I haven't lifted, ran or done much exercise for a while.  I've been searching the inter webs for plans and programs but it just too much info.  Help me out fellas. I need to find something that is sustainable and easy on my aging butt.  Thanks.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Check out this video and this organization's channel.  It has a lot of videos for 40-50 year old beginners with education included.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

Dropkick

I have lost 15 lbs since January 1. Just counting calories (2,000 per day) and walking 2.5 to 3.5 miles a day on treadmill. I am in my early 60s. Weighed around 245 when I started. I'm a smidge shy of 6'-1".

I would like advice on what type of weight lifting to simply tone up a little. The gym I joined has all types of machines. I have no idea regarding how much weight and how many reps.

nationwish

If you're looking at something that is going to be sustainable, the most important thing is finding something that you enjoy doing. A lot of people will start on a fitness routine strong for a while only to stop after a few months, and that's often because they are looking at it as something they need to do instead of something they get any pleasure out of doing. There are basically an infinite number of ways to get exercise, so if you're not having fun doing one thing, there are plenty other activities out there you may like.

You should also remember that advice when considering your goals and how you want to get there. For example, people will tell you that to get bulky looking muscles, you have to lift heavy weights. I can tell you that is absolutely not true, and your muscle structure will have more to do with genetics than your workout. I do bodyweight workouts, and people all the time don't believe me when I say I don't lift weights. I do shorter, more intense workouts with shorter rest periods. The workouts are creative and fun, and my muscles have been really responsive to it. I also do yoga at least once a week.

If you can afford it, try working out with a personal trainer. They will have good advice on what activities you can get into that are good for your level of fitness and health. Look at workouts on youtube for ideas. With running, swimming, cycling, weights, hiking, or just walking, there really are an endless number of things to try.

clutch

Try the 10,000 Kettlebell swing challenge. I think it's a great starter program. You can modify it to make it a little easier for yourself if you need to when you are first starting out, but it is simple to follow and doesn't require lots of knowledge of different lifts. It's quick, but effective.