Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best WR on the team so far this season......

Started by hogz11, October 18, 2016, 09:09:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogz11

The 5 deep is stocked with talent. Just want to see where the opinions. And yes I know they are a great unit and are all good players. Here's how I rank the 5 deep.

1. Jared Cornelius
2. Keon Hatcher
3. Drew Morgan
4. Cody Hollister
5. Dominique Reed

Reed hasn't been better than the other four through 7 games. Hollister is closing the gap on Morgan more than some would think but he isn't there yet. Cornelius and Hatcher have easily been the best WR's so far and you could make the argument they are 1a and 1b. I'd still give the nod to Cornelius but the margin is very slim. Both have been stellar and clutch for the Hogs this season. Keon has bounced back from his injury better than I think anyone ever thought he would and JC has a higher degree of explosiveness this year.

I thought the defensive line would be the best unit on the entire team and while they have been good, the WR's deserve that honor so far.

20hog11

I would put Reed above hollister just because of the big catch he had to start off the ole miss game. Stinks that 4 of the 5 players listed will not be on the team next year.

Hogs run wild

i'm going to have to go:
1. Keon - he's been in beast mode the past 2 games
2a. J-red - makes the difficult catch look easy, also is versatile
2b. Drew - steady fredy, this guy just shows up and gets the job done game after game
4. Cody - starting to show out with Reed not getting it done, still not enough touches to fully showcase his talents
5. Dominique - has the speed and talent to make it into the nfl, but lacks motivation to be the best (for whatever reason). i'm thinking the coaches have been hard on him to be the best, because they know he is the most gifted of all our WRs, but with his quiet demeanor he probably takes it the wrong way and has regressed to just going through the motions. this is just my opinion and could be way off.
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

PORKULATOR

Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

PORKULATOR

Quote from: hogz11 on October 18, 2016, 09:09:41 pm
The 5 deep is stocked with talent. Just want to see where the opinions. And yes I know they are a great unit and are all good players. Here's how I rank the 5 deep.

1. Jared Cornelius
2. Keon Hatcher
3. Drew Morgan
4. Cody Hollister
5. Dominique Reed

or that ^^^^^
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Biggus Piggus

Cornelius has been best, no doubt. First team all-conference quality.
[CENSORED]!

HogimusMaximus

jgphillips3

Jared and Keon so far. Morgan right behind them.

Oklahawg

Cornelius should be all-SEC, at least at this point.

Keon might be the most consistent WR on the team but blocking is not very sexy, and hard to notice unless you are looking for it.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

HogBreath

I'd say Hatcher, Morgan, & Cornelius are all neck & neck, all three have their strong points, all 3 are super, great players.  I'm a big fan of this trio!!
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

PonderinHog

1a - Jared
1b - Keon
1c - Drew

2a - Cody
2b - Dominique

This is my final decision until further notice.

hogpc

I really like the way KH fights for the ball - he is aggressive!

Tejano Jawg

I was thinking about this after the Ole Miss game. Our receivers have been money. Very few drops, catching balls when Austin throws through some tight windows.

I think Hatcher and Cornelius are playing All-SEC caliber. They deliver game after game. Morgan was there last year, maybe the only difference is the number of touches this year. He's my favorite WR after the catch.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: hogpc on October 19, 2016, 06:04:20 am
I really like the way KH fights for the ball - he is aggressive!
This.  I think this is why Keon has a legit chance at the next level.  His strength shows when he plays.

Also his agility/ability to break tackles is very, very good.  The 3rd and medium direct snap he took should have been for no gain, instead he turned it into a very much needed 1st down.

TNRazorbacker

Keon gets the edge, but Cornelius and Morgan arent far behind. Cornelius has the edge in versatility.

TNRazorbacker

hogcard1964

I'm going:

1. Hatcher
2. Morgan
3. Cornelius
4. Hollister
5. Reed

Ironhawg

Quote from: TNRazorbacker on October 19, 2016, 08:14:16 am
Who is Allen going to throw to next year??

This is a very important question for next season.

GrizzlyRider07

I believe the first looks will be JRed, Deon Stewart, Pettway, and Jordan Jones also Jeremy Patton, Austin Cantrell and one of the two out of Gragg and O'Grady
Dont Talk, Just Act.
Don't Say, Just Show.
Don't Promise, Just Prove!

onebadrubi

J Cornelius
Pettway
Hollister who I think will apply for and get a med redshirt
Cantrell
Hammonds
Stewart
Mcclure
O'grady
Kraus
Gragg
Antwine
Bell who I hope makes it back to DE for a rush end and succeeds. 

Those are really the only options that will have been in the system.  Coming in you have

K. Jackson who could contribute right away
Patton who would probably make an immediate impact (But we've alwasy seen a slow period with Juco's, but under CBB they really thrive that second year)
Barkley
Warren who has supposedly been tearing it up his senior year.
Barnes
Nance (Really know nothing about him. 

Peter Porker

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

JayBell

It's a three-way tie at the top and I see no reason to differentiate.  Sometimes the matchups benefit Cornelius.  Sometimes Hatcher.  And sometimes Morgan.  Allen can go to any of the three in the clutch and they can all be used in a variety of ways.

After that, I go with Hollister, easy.  He catches everything in his area and he's such a team player.  He's virtually the opposite of Reed, who, other than the big catch against Ole Miss, had done nothing to even earn a spot on the roster for most of the year.  They made a concerted effort to get him involved against Ole Miss, so maybe he'll stop pouting all the time and actually start to play like a senior.

longpig

Hatcher has caught A LOT of uncatchables in tight coverage, the others may have one or two of those at best. 
Don't be scared, be smart.

S.A.D.C

Cornelius has been incredible for sure- if you want an opportunity for a big play he is our best option.  But, on 4th down or a critical 3rd down Hatcher is the man.  If you NEED to get some yards you have to look at him first.  That's a good duo, right?

JayBell

Quote from: 20hog11 on October 18, 2016, 09:31:16 pmI would put Reed above hollister just because of the big catch he had to start off the ole miss game. Stinks that 4 of the 5 players listed will not be on the team next year.
Quote from: TNRazorbacker on October 19, 2016, 08:14:16 amWho is Allen going to throw to next year??

I bet Ole Miss fans were wondering the same thing last year.  I think there's a lot of concern about the receivers next year, but there's a talented group just waiting in the wings.  They're young, but they look the part.

Cornelius will be the No. 1.  I can see Enos or whoever the OC is making sure he gets at least 5-10 touches a game.  He'll be Kelley's go-to guy.

Pettway has the potential to be the new Hatcher.  Stewart has the potential to be the 2015 version of Reed.  Then you have Jones and Boateng.  I wouldn't be surprised if Koilan Jackson made some noise as a freshman either.  And with Bielema's success with walk-ons, I wouldn't be surprised if one of them was a surprise success.

Cantrell will likely put up bigger numbers than Henry or Sprinkle just because the WR corps won't be as stacked as they've been for the last two years.  Then you have all of the tight ends.

JayBell

But also, Williams will be a junior and Whaley will be a sophomore, so will Hammonds, hopefully.  With the stud freshmen coming in and Hayden Johnson a sophomore at fullback, I don't think Arkansas relies as much on the passing game next year as much.

longpig

Quote from: JayBell on October 19, 2016, 10:32:11 am
I bet Ole Miss fans were wondering the same thing last year.  I think there's a lot of concern about the receivers next year, but there's a talented group just waiting in the wings.  They're young, but they look the part.

Cornelius will be the No. 1.  I can see Enos or whoever the OC is making sure he gets at least 5-10 touches a game.  He'll be Kelley's go-to guy.

Pettway has the potential to be the new Hatcher.  Stewart has the potential to be the 2015 version of Reed.  Then you have Jones and Boateng.  I wouldn't be surprised if Koilan Jackson made some noise as a freshman either.  And with Bielema's success with walk-ons, I wouldn't be surprised if one of them was a surprise success.

Cantrell will likely put up bigger numbers than Henry or Sprinkle just because the WR corps won't be as stacked as they've been for the last two years.  Then you have all of the tight ends.

010HogFan

longpig

October 19, 2016, 11:17:02 am #28 Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 12:10:59 pm by longpig
Quote from: 010HogFan on October 19, 2016, 10:56:07 am
Kelley? lol good luck

Must be talking about help with math assignments or pickup basketball.

longpig

hawgdavis

sickboy

Don't know if anyone knows, but Cornelius is top 5 right now in receiving yards in the SEC and Hatcher is #2 in TDs.

Those guys are are ALL SEC right there.

Oh -- and Austin Allen is #1 in yards as a QB and Rawleigh Williams is leading the SEC in rushing.

Our offense is the best in the SEC, boys and girls.

Peter Porker

Jordan Jones is the fastest receiver we have.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

010HogFan

Quote from: JayBell on October 19, 2016, 11:17:02 am
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=619527.msg10503532#msg10503532

Austin's not going anywhere. He's been a starting QB at this level for less than a year...as good as he's been, he doesn't have a body of work for NFL teams to take much of a chance on yet, and he's not Cardale Jones.

longpig

Quote from: sickboy on October 19, 2016, 11:36:03 am
Don't know if anyone knows, but Cornelius is top 5 right now in receiving yards in the SEC and Hatcher is #2 in TDs.

Those guys are are ALL SEC right there.

Oh -- and Austin Allen is #1 in yards as a QB and Rawleigh Williams is leading the SEC in rushing.

Our offense is the best in the SEC, boys and girls.
Most definitely noticed.  And if there was a category for clutch short yardage receptions, Morgan would be at the top.  Our passing game must be a real pita for opposing DCs to scheme for.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on October 19, 2016, 08:00:47 am
I was thinking about this after the Ole Miss game. Our receivers have been money. Very few drops, catching balls when Austin throws through some tight windows.

I think Hatcher and Cornelius are playing All-SEC caliber. They deliver game after game. Morgan was there last year, maybe the only difference is the number of touches this year. He's my favorite WR after the catch.

Ole Miss's receivers have been talked up as one of the top position groups in the country.  Against us, I counted at least 5 drops that were right on the mark and should have been caught.  Vastly overrated.

Our top 4 receivers on the other hand (I'm leaving off Reed because I agree with most he's been #5), I cannot remember a drop this year.  Such an underrated group.  Very proud of all of them, especially Hatcher because his reputation early in his career was that he dropped too many.  Now you couldn't pry the ball out of his hands with a crowbar.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Hog-Corleone

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on October 19, 2016, 11:57:41 am
Ole Miss's receivers have been talked up as one of the top position groups in the country.  Against us, I counted at least 5 drops that were right on the mark and should have been caught.  Vastly overrated.

Our top 4 receivers on the other hand (I'm leaving off Reed because I agree with most he's been #5), I cannot remember a drop this year.  Such an underrated group.  Very proud of all of them, especially Hatcher because his reputation early in his career was that he dropped too many.  Now you couldn't pry the ball out of his hands with a crowbar.

Hollister had the dropsies early on this year, but has been solid over the more recent games. 
This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation.

JayBell

Quote from: longpig on October 19, 2016, 11:18:56 amDid you srsly just link to your own Hogville post, cuz?

It's a link to a whole other thread, but here's a more direct link if scrolling is too hard for you: http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=619527.0

JayBell

Quote from: Hog-Corleone on October 19, 2016, 12:02:21 pmHollister had the dropsies early on this year, but has been solid over the more recent games.

I can remember at least 3 or 4 by Reed off the top of my head, but hardly any by the rest of them.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Arthur pigby sellers.

Quote from: JayBell on October 19, 2016, 10:32:11 am

McClure the former baseball player has also seen action this year as a true freshman WR and has been mentioned by the staff as a future contributor.  Stewart made a great catch against Alcorn state. I wouldn't be surprised to see him as a starter.  Hayden Johnson supposedly has great hands and will get more targets.  Anyone wondering about the future of our WR core needs to watch K Jacksons mid season highlights. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get some PT next year.
     I think there is a lot of talent in the younger group of receivers that just isn't getting a chance to see the field this year. Our WR next year will likely take a step back, but probably not as far as most on here think.

longpig

Quote from: JayBell on October 19, 2016, 12:34:03 pm
It's a link to a whole other thread, but here's a more direct link if scrolling is too hard for you: http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=619527.0

Hogville threads ain't exactly vetted sources, cuz.  Why would I bother?

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

PorkSoda

Quote from: 20hog11 on October 18, 2016, 09:31:16 pm
I would put Reed above hollister just because of the big catch he had to start off the ole miss game. Stinks that 4 of the 5 players listed will not be on the team next year.
I didn't think any of them were coming back.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

010HogFan

I would say:

Cornelius
Hatcher
Morgan

you could rank any of these 3 guys in any order as top 3 and you can't really argue it. good problem to have.

longpig

Uberanubis

Quote from: Peter Porker on October 19, 2016, 10:18:33 am
^^^^^^^ this comment above mine.
this comment below mine

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 19, 2016, 10:15:35 am
J Cornelius
Pettway
Cantrell
Hammonds
Stewart
Mcclure
O'grady
Kraus
Gragg
Antwine

Those are really the only options that will have been in the system.  Coming in you have

Patton who would probably make an immediate impact (But we've alwasy seen a slow period with Juco's, but under CBB they really thrive that second year)
Barkley
Barnes
Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 31, 2015, 11:37:05 am
I think it's a common event whether it is in AR or around the world where a group of Hog fans get together.  I've seen it in TN, TX, LA and in Germany.  Being a Razorback is like being in a brotherhood.  When the brotherhood meet, they call the Hogs.

razorbackchamps94

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 19, 2016, 10:15:35 am
J Cornelius
Pettway
Cantrell
Hammonds
Stewart
Mcclure
O'grady
Kraus
Gragg
Antwine

Barkley
Barnes
What bout Jones??

JayBell

Quote from: longpig on October 19, 2016, 01:04:17 pmHogville threads ain't exactly vetted sources, cuz.  Why would I bother?

Because the thread starts off with a quote from the article cited so you don't have to search through it yourself.  Damn, guys.  Social contract.