Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why does the FPI have us low?

Started by checkraiser88, October 18, 2016, 08:15:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

checkraiser88

Along with the bookies? In previous seasons under BB we were given a lot more respect with similar or worse records

thefisher

Quote from: checkraiser88 on October 18, 2016, 08:15:50 pm
Along with the bookies? In previous seasons under BB we were given a lot more respect with similar or worse records

They have the Hogs so low as to allow Hog fans to lock in rates now and make a bundle next Saturday.

Let the winnings begin!
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

Danny J

I was thinking the same thing today. Strange indeed. Coming into the season we had the 4th toughest schedule and as of right now we have the 2nd toughest remaining schedule and a 5-2 record with 2 good wins and 2 losses to the best team in the country and another top 6 team. Heard an interview today with a sportswriter when asked why we were 10 point dogs TO Auburn just scoffed at the idea we were even questioning the point spread as though we were some FCS team.

Danny J

Quote from: Danny J on October 18, 2016, 08:21:25 pm
I was thinking the same thing today. Strange indeed. Coming into the season we had the 4th toughest schedule and as of right now we have the 2nd toughest remaining schedule and a 5-2 record with 2 good wins and 2 losses to the best team in the country and another top 6 team. Heard an interview today with a sportswriter when asked why we were 10 point dogs TO Auburn just scoffed at the idea we were even questioning the point spread as though we were some FCS team.
Also head Barrett Sallee on Jon Nabors show today and when Jon asked him about how for a few years now Arkansas under CBB were able to win and be more competitive as the season went along he stated "Arkansas didn't get better it's just that the teams they beat were getting worse...like Ole miss and injuries etc..."

Always a reason huh? LSU plays Bama the week before us or injuries or it was too cold or they were out of the playoffs so they weren't trying blah blah blah

I don't care if we lose to Auburn but I want to beat Florida so bad I can taste it. We need that monkey off our back.

Hoggish1

SpeedyHog

Call Me Trumpton.

jgphillips3

What makes that so hilarious is the number of injuries we had last year, yet somehow we didn't get "worse".  They don't know what the hell they are talking about.

Bacon_Bitz

We have won three games where our win expectancy, based on just looking at the box score stats and each team's plays independent of their situational importance, is less than fifty percent. Then we got beat bad twice. The only games we have won convincingly (particularly with the stats) are Texas State and Alcon State, and beating bad teams doesn't help you in advanced stats measures.

But I like that this team finds a way to compete, stay in games, and win.

SpeedyHog

Quote from: DMACKNOWS on October 18, 2016, 08:41:04 pm
The FPI is the dumbest thing anyone has come up with in a long time.  People will catch on soon enough.
I've already catched on. It's the dumbest thing since  Pizza Hut grilled cheese pizza.
Call Me Trumpton.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Danny J on October 18, 2016, 08:30:04 pm
Also head Barrett Sallee on Jon Nabors show today and when Jon asked him about how for a few years now Arkansas under CBB were able to win and be more competitive as the season went along he stated "Arkansas didn't get better it's just that the teams they beat were getting worse...like Ole miss and injuries etc..."

Always a reason huh? LSU plays Bama the week before us or injuries or it was too cold or they were out of the playoffs so they weren't trying blah blah blah

I don't care if we lose to Auburn but I want to beat Florida so bad I can taste it. We need that monkey off our back.

Barrett Sallee is a joke.

I've pretty much given in to the fact that we will never be taken seriously until we win the SEC title.   We could beat LSU 15 years in a row and people would still say "well they played bama the week before".

It was like this when we were at the top in basketball. Mitch Albon: "Duke is smarter, they'll win." SMH

BTW, I have no clue where all this love for Auburn is coming from.
They haven't topped 20 points yet against a decent team but yet all the sudden they're some amazing juggernaut.

AugustaHog

We have been statistically awful defensively, particularly the run defense.  We have also had a difficult time running the ball consistently.  Screw em, we're better than the stats.  If the OL continues improving the run D shakes out to normal, we are going to finish with a nasty record, regardless of what FPI says.

Biggus Piggus

To think someone came on Hogville praising Sallee last week. Clueless.
[CENSORED]!

RzRbAcK18

With CRS bend but don't break defense we will never be in the top tier categories. This is not a knock against him because I'm all for whatever wins.

Danny J

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on October 18, 2016, 09:53:54 pm
To think someone came on Hogville praising Sallee last week. Clueless.
I think he has taken the Clay Travis approach....you know the "let's say outrageous things about teams in order to draw more clicks" strategy.

racingpossum

1.) to start season first year starting QB and RB
2.) 26 point favorite over LT and win by 1
3.) Back forth 4th qtr against an average TCU
4.) Got smoked in 4th qtr by A&M
5.) Got smoked the whole game by Bama
6.) Against the best teams on the schedule we have struggled to run the ball.
7.) Our defense is still suspect and we will see if we have the rushing defense shored up more this weekend as Auburn is much better rushing team than Ole Miss

There are still a lot of holes in this team but they have to continue to build off the win from last weekend. NO ONE I MEAN NO ONE expected the Hogs to hold ole Miss to 30 points and only 10 in the 2nd half. That has not been the trend all season. Until they string together a couple of good games then the FPI will be a negative for us.

a0ashle

As someone mentioned earlier FPI (and S&P+) use stats without game context. The only context they consider at all is Garbage Time, which gets removed.

There is no stat for making the play you absolutely need to make when you absolutely need to have, that would be clutch, and it's impossible to measure it.The best you can do is try to see it's shadow in the numbers.