Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Does Auburn game worry anyone else?

Started by baseballhog, October 18, 2016, 08:49:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baseballhog

Just seems like everyone on the radio and around here has already chalked up a "W" already. Not sure we are to the point of looking past secw teams just yet. A true road game in a place we haven't had a ton of success, but it's just my observation and being worrisome.

Sho Nuff

thefisher

Quote from: baseballhog on October 18, 2016, 08:49:29 am
Just seems like everyone on the radio and around here has already chalked up a "W" already. Not sure we are to the point of looking past secw teams just yet. A true road game in a place we haven't had a ton of success, but it's just my observation and being worrisome.

I am quiet certain that the players and coaches are not looking past it.

In the end that's all that matters.
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

rljjr

It's a game we have to go and win. They won't just give it to us. I expect a competitive game and the Hogs ending up in the plus side.

longpig

Not as much as I was worried about OM, that is until the OM game was over.  It's more of a stretch game for Auburn than us.  It being our 8th game without a bye is our biggest challenge.  We tire.
Don't be scared, be smart.

010HogFan

Quote from: longpig on October 18, 2016, 08:56:54 am
Not as much as I was worried about OM, that is until the OM game was over.  It's more of a stretch game for Auburn than us.  It being our 8th game without a bye is our biggest challenge.  We tire.

at least we are in a rhythm. Bye week can be more detrimental than helpful in some cases

carolinahogger

I enjoy Razorback football, even get jittery before a game sometimes, and yell at the TV when I get pissed.  But no, I don't worry about this upcoming game or any other one.

rljjr

Don't forget our Bama hangover. Man, that thing is brutal. :)

longpig

Quote from: 010HogFan on October 18, 2016, 08:58:38 am
at least we are in a rhythm. Bye week can be more detrimental than helpful in some cases

True, probably better we play one more after putting it together (to a degree) on the Oline and D last week.  Atleast we don't have a playmaker on the sideline needing a week off with a nagging injury, just a little tired and sore

Hawgndaaz

Yes, their defense is better than A&M. It will be tough to keep AA off the ground. Just don't see them putting up enough points to outscore us though.

jackflash

yes this game worry me. We will have to play well to win

Hoggish1

They are auburn and are coached by gm so I expect a big win.

jjdlc

Every game in the SEC worries me.  Thats just the way it is.

hogcard1964

No, but the officiating concerns me...as it always does.  I think we'll win this one pretty convincingly.

Atlhogfan1

Yep.  AU is due for another up season.  They are very cyclical.  Have had two "down" seasons.  Based on their program's history going back into the Tubs era, they are due for another good one soon.  They are solid on defense.  And the running game will probably give us fits.  Plus the fact we have played for 7 straight weeks and they are coming off a bye week.

For a series to be so close record-wise, the 6 games before last season had been decided by 17 - 24 pts. 

AU beginning with 2006

11-2
9-4
5-7
8-5
14-0
8-5
3-9
12-2
8-5
7-6

4-2 now

Find it interesting our series is very even as AU has had some very good teams and a great recruiting area. 

AU holds a 13-11 advantage with 1 tie

Avg score AU 25.3 Hogs 25.2

Hogs have won 5 of the last 8

AU started the series 5-1-1  Hogs are 10-8 since

Series is 8-8 in the 2000's

The programs are comparable in many stats:
Wins AU 752 Hogs 707
Conf Ch AU 12 Hogs 13
Bowl App AU 40 Hogs 41
NFL draft picks AU 262 Hogs 258
Weeks in AP Poll AU 535 15th  Hogs 417 19th

They of course have shown a higher ceiling especially in the our SEC era, 3 Heisman winners, 3 NC to our 1 and we have that poor bowl record.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Little Lady Back

Playing Auburn at Auburn is what worries me more than anything else, including their really good defense. However, I still think we win this one.
#NolanRichardsonCourt

Youngsta71701

Their middle run game gave us fits last year. Especially in the second half.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

010HogFan

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on October 18, 2016, 09:10:01 am
Yes, their defense is better than A&M. It will be tough to keep AA off the ground. Just don't see them putting up enough points to outscore us though.

but is it really better than A&M? I find that hard to believe. They don't have Watts/Garrett/Hall lurking around back there

King Kong

Well I'm not going to worry about something I can't control.

But clearly Auburn is a talented that could win on Saturday. I also think we are a good team that can win on Saturday

Atlhogfan1

Hogs have a number of wins at AU including a couple of our teams in down seasons(2008 and 2012)

2002 - Talley game
2006 - beat #2 AU 27-10
2008 - Petrino's first SEC win and first over a ranked opponent as Hogs coach
2012 - our first SEC win of the season and 1 of only 2(UK)

1992 - Tied

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

PORKULATOR

Every sports writer here is on the Gus Bus.  The store owner that I contact for asked me this morning if I thought we could  beat em..  and he used to bookie.  He doesn't have a feel for the game at all.  He took us against Ole Pisser
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Razorbackers

Anyone not worried is a fool. They have a stout defense and one of the best home atmosphere's in the nation. I think they might be the toughest team left on our schedule. (Sorry Florida. If the UF game was in the swamp then I might say you're the toughest one left.)

a0ashle

Worried? Not particularly, but I do think some on here are underestimating them. I think it will be a tough game, I think its closer to +4 then +9 kind of game. Week in and week out the SEC west is a brawl, this won't be different.

311Hog

How are you not worried about every game?  no football game ever has been played on paper or on a message board.  Every team "can win or lose" and no one knows until it happens.  You play a NAIA team on the road and i don't care who you are, if you do not take is seriously you can get beat.

IMABIELEMA

They are more talented than us for sure.  Hopefully we can out scheme and our coach them.

a0ashle

Quote from: 311Hog on October 18, 2016, 10:01:11 am
How are you not worried about every game?  no football game ever has been played on paper or on a message board.  Every team "can win or lose" and no one knows until it happens.  You play a NAIA team on the road and i don't care who you are, if you do not take is seriously you can get beat.

I don't play the games, so me being worried or not doesn't make a difference. Me not being worried in not from lack of passion for the hogs, its from perspective. I actively work at saving worry for real life stuff, football is meant to be fun and an escape, now I certainly have to remind myself of that mid game, but 4 days before the game it is easy to keep perspective.

longpig

Quote from: 010HogFan on October 18, 2016, 09:36:48 am
but is it really better than A&M? I find that hard to believe. They don't have Watts/Garrett/Hall lurking around back there

Not even close, other than on misleading stats.

311Hog

Quote from: a0ashle on October 18, 2016, 10:05:57 am
I don't play the games, so me being worried or not doesn't make a difference. Me not being worried in not from lack of passion for the hogs, its from perspective. I actively work at saving worry for real life stuff, football is meant to be fun and an escape, now I certainly have to remind myself of that mid game, but 4 days before the game it is easy to keep perspective.

Oh no i agree with you, maybe "worry" isn't the right word to be used here.  My point was just that no one not a single one of us knows for certain who will win any game.  And that even the most over matched or over powered teams can lose it is part of the beauty of football as you would say.  I mean i been a hog fan for a very long time, and i long long long long long long ago learned that nothing is certain when it comes to the hogs except that something will happen that you did not expect.  We could win by 100 or lose by it total coin flip.

jackflash

their talent is defensive line Randy  garner has  recruited well

010HogFan

Quote from: longpig on October 18, 2016, 10:11:42 am

see that's what I thought. If they stuff us 10+ times at the goal line on Saturday, I'll re-evaluate

Pork Twain

All SEC games worry me until the final snap
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Youngsta71701

"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Ex-Trumpet

If Penn Wagers or Marc Curles is calling a game, there's always a need for worry.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

hogcard1964

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on October 18, 2016, 10:52:42 am
If Penn Wagers or Marc Curles is calling a game, there's always a need for worry.

+1000

Do we know who the refs are yet?

SpeedyHog

Call Me Trumpton.

Dionysos25

The only teams that scared me going into this season were Alabama and TCU.. I think we all thought TAMU would be a dumpster fire.. that didn't end up happening. I ain't 'fraid a no Gus.
"Once again we've hit philosophical bedrock with the shovel of a stupid question."

SpeedyHog

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on October 18, 2016, 10:52:42 am

Penn Wagers retired a year or two ago.
Call Me Trumpton.

S.A.D.C

I can tell you who is NOT worried: Auburn fans. I checked out their board this morning.   They think their D will pound our Oline.  And, in reality, that is probably what will decide the game.  They have respect for AA but are pretty high on their QB too. 

Biggus Piggus

This might be a game where the opponent will try to run into the strength of our defense.
[CENSORED]!

311Hog

i really wish we didn't have so many ILB's hurt/thin at the position as it is.

Redhogs

Quote from: Razorbackers on October 18, 2016, 09:54:53 am
Anyone not worried is a fool. They have a stout defense and one of the best home atmosphere's in the nation. I think they might be the toughest team left on our schedule. (Sorry Florida. If the UF game was in the swamp then I might say you're the toughest one left.)
All correct. There is a reason we are 10 point dogs....I don't agree with that, but it will be a dog fight. Would feel allot better if it was in FV.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Redhogs

Quote from: S.A.D.C on October 18, 2016, 11:21:28 am
I can tell you who is NOT worried: Auburn fans. I checked out their board this morning.   They think their D will pound our Oline.  And, in reality, that is probably what will decide the game.  They have respect for AA but are pretty high on their QB too.
Does not surprise me..most arrogant fans in the SEC...and that's saying something.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

ATLHog

Nope, no more than any other conference game-

SpeedyHog

Quote from: Redhogs on October 18, 2016, 11:26:58 am
All correct. There is a reason we are 10 point dogs....I don't agree with that, but it will be a dog fight. Would feel allot better if it was in FV.
I guess I am a fool Redhogs. I am not worried about Aubbie at all.
Call Me Trumpton.

hogcard1964

Quote from: SpeedyHog on October 18, 2016, 11:29:31 am
I guess I am a fool Redhogs. I am not worried about Aubbie at all.

+1000

I don't think this will be the "tough game" a lot of folks seem to be worried about.  I think they'll be able to hang with us for a bit but we'll break them down mid 3rd qtr.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on October 18, 2016, 11:22:44 am
This might be a game where the opponent will try to run into the strength of our defense.

We hope it looks like a strength.  We know Gus ball is about getting you out of alignment.  Missing Greenlaw.  Missing Coley for a half.  Hope the first level of our D plays well and the replacements behind them play to their responsibilities and don't get fooled by Gus. 

GuvHog

Quote from: IMABIELEMA on October 18, 2016, 10:04:02 am
They are more talented than us for sure.  Hopefully we can out scheme and our coach them.

Auburn's offense is not as good as the Ole Miss offense and the Auburn QB is the first QB the Hogs will face this year that is not likely to hurt the Hogs with his legs.

The Auburn defense however, is better than the Ole Miss defense.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

razorsharptusk

This will not be an easy win. But Hogs are well capable of winning it.  It all starts with the O line for our offensive success.
GO HOGS!!

010HogFan

I look at this game about like the LSU game last year when we took the crowd out of it early and beat the snot out of them in Death Valley. Look for a similar result.

IMABIELEMA

Quote from: longpig on October 18, 2016, 10:11:42 am
I agree those guys are in a league of their own but they do have 2 first rounders in this years draft at DE & DT so it's not like they suck.