Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sprinkle

Started by UAfanatic, October 18, 2016, 08:37:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

UAfanatic

As was said on a defensive thread, few LB can cover a receiving TE (it was stated from a spread perspective.. but still accurate)
Why are we not using the TEs as much in our passing schemes?

Is it because they are needed for extra protection?
Or are our receivers so much better that we don't need the TE threat.

I really wish that we would use Sprinkle a lot more especially on short yardage plays..
But I'm not as savvy as a lot of you guys are on the understanding of what's going on on the field.

Pork Twain

Needed blockers to help the OL so far.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

linkshog

We have to have him in for extra pass pro and run blocking.  His looks now are coming from check downs and hot reads.  i expect him to get a little more involved as the line gets better.  its all hands on deck blocking right now.  alot of max protection schemes and running plays from the set up.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

- Ronald Reagan -

Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.

- Ronald Reagan -

onebadrubi

He was used a lot in the passing game as a decoy. He was sent on "setup" routes to draw a safety and a LB to leave a void in the field.

He lured the safety on D reeds deep ball. He also lured a nickel CB I believe in one of hatchets late sideline catches. And then numerous times he would run some route in the middle of the field to open up an area for another receiver. He did his job very well and was a completely team player. It will be hard to get him touches the rest of the year because he is going to draw double teams every time he gets in a route, which will leave another receiver open.

Sir Oinksalot

He's been a great decoy, as they are on him like white on rice...

He's also a great blocker, but now teams are paying a price for covering him so tightly because of all our other play makers, see what happened what they took their eyes off Reed, Enos burned their azzzz.....we should see him emerge soon one would think ....
Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

Sir Oinksalot

Haha, beat me to it ...

longpig

Sprinkle has more touchdowns than any TE in the SEC (Evan Engram isn't a TE) and as many receptions as any team with several legit receivers.  You're right in that AA has many good targets.  Sprinkle will have a few more big games.
Don't be scared, be smart.

Sir Oinksalot

Agree, it must be unnerving for a DC to figure out how to account for so many weapons....our offense is slowly getting to the point of mid-season last year ...

rljjr

Have to keep him healthy. He's in a boot for a reason. That might have played into his diminished role in pass targets. I don't know. What I do know is that he is the best TE in the SEC. Engram wears Jeremy Sprinkle jammies.

PonderinHog

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 18, 2016, 08:41:39 am
He was used a lot in the passing game as a decoy. He was sent on "setup" routes to draw a safety and a LB to leave a void in the field.

He lured the safety on D reeds deep ball. He also lured a nickel CB I believe in one of hatchets late sideline catches. And then numerous times he would run some route in the middle of the field to open up an area for another receiver. He did his job very well and was a completely team player. It will be hard to get him touches the rest of the year because he is going to draw double teams every time he gets in a route, which will leave another receiver open.
Didn't he clear out the middle on Drew Morgan's TD catch?

Hoggish1

Sprinkle will be used more vs auburn.  It's the way we match up with them.  They won't be able to handle his speed with a LB...

BOOM!

ricepig

Quote from: PonderinHog on October 18, 2016, 09:10:35 am
Didn't he clear out the middle on Drew Morgan's TD catch?

Yep, he also split out several times during the game. They do use him from time to time to block in pass pro, or chip and release.

rmcchris

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 18, 2016, 08:41:39 am

Well stated and very accurate observations in my opinion.  I would add, Just look at O.J. Howard at Bama, same issues as Sprinkle on the double teams, decoy and blocking work as well.