Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fred Talley @ AU

Started by popcornhog, October 17, 2016, 06:16:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

popcornhog

This game is one of my favorite Razorback memories.

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/arkansas-tops-auburn-38-17-fred-talley-rushes/

Talley's rushing effort was second highest mark in Arkansas history, trailing on Dickey Morton's 271 yards against Baylor in 1973.
Arkansas (3-2, 1-2 SEC) racked up 426 yards rushing for the game, while holding Auburn (4-2, 2-1 SEC) to 104 yards on the ground. The Hogs' 426 yards rushing is the 10th-highest total in school history.
Quarterback Matt Jones rambled for 66 yards including a 70-yard touchdown run in the fourth quarter to seal the victory. Jones also completed 7-of-13 pass attempts for 66 yards.
WPS

Hogwop

I remember Talley having several monster games for us. He was a fun back to watch. He had that uncanny ability to get skinny.
Pigga what?!
Quote from: PonderinHog on April 16, 2018, 10:27:02 amAn emoji is worth a hundred words.
9-07-1958 - 12-2-2011 R.I.P Mom, I will always miss you and love you.

Pudgepork

Talley will always be a favorite because like Felix Jones, he never
ran a play that wasn't full speed.   The year that Miss Stink started using
that song, who let the dawgs out, Hawgs played them in starkville
and I think it was snowing a little.  I don't remember if it was a punt or
a kickoff but talley made a nice run back and then went out of
bounds near midfield.  His momentum carried him into Jackie Sherrill
I loved seeing Talley hit Sherrill

arktravlr

There came a point when you just started laughing watching Talley's numbers keep going up..

pignparadise

I remember the WM stadium glowing red as the sun came out right before his 70 or so yard td run against LSU.  If not for his run there never  would have been a Miracle  on Markham.
"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"

Ugly Uncle

Here are the highlights from that game.  Crazy how much talent that team had...we were 2-2 going in to that game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibnfOFiYAEk
Retired Radio Host

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: pignparadise on October 17, 2016, 07:58:21 pm
I remember the WM stadium glowing red as the sun came out right before his 70 or so yard td run against LSU.  If not for his run there never  would have been a Miracle  on Markham.

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfoQhc2Enas
Retired Radio Host

arktravlr

Not football, but since we're talking about beating Auburn how bout that 99 roundball game against Auburn...BWA was shaking. Hogs would have beat anyone in the country that day.

Ugly Uncle

I had Fred Talley a few times on the Ugly Uncle Show.  What a great Razorback.
Retired Radio Host

elksnort

Quote from: pignparadise on October 17, 2016, 07:58:21 pm
This was truly bizarre. 

pignparadise

"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"

cypress rock

Fred Talley is still running!!

Piney Woods Rooter

Fred was a referee at several of my sons Basketball games last fall. He is a class act and great with the kids. One of my favorite Razorbacks!!

Amityvillehogger

Quote from: arktravlr on October 17, 2016, 08:09:24 pm
Not football, but since we're talking about beating Auburn how bout that 99 roundball game against Auburn...BWA was shaking. Hogs would have beat anyone in the country that day.

So much talent on that team. Goodness

Jefferies transferred
Jennings transferred
Gilbert transferred
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

3kgthog

I miss Fred and I miss that attacking defense. We just don't play D that way under RS and I hate it with a passion.

Oklahawg

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

The Big O Oliver Squeeler

My family watched that game.  We all said he cut through them like a weed wacker.  He became affectionately known in our house as Talley Wacker. 

bulldog04

Quote from: Amityvillehogger on October 17, 2016, 08:57:34 pm
So much talent on that team. Goodness

Jefferies transferred
Jennings transferred
Gilbert transferred
Jefferies leaving hurt bad

DeltaBoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibnfOFiYAEk

Great memories of him shredding the vaulted Tigger D.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HawginFL1991

Quote from: arktravlr on October 17, 2016, 07:53:57 pm
There came a point when you just started laughing watching Talley's numbers keep going up..

So I was watching this and really enjoying the memories of Fred running all over the Tigers. Then I started noticing all the defensive plays, and the fact that we were blitzing and applying all kinds of pressure. The defensive coordinator that year was....Dave Wommack ??? Never mind!  :razorback:

Bogghawg

I remember a good sport Auburn fan posted on their board that night that he thought he had just seen Fred Talley run past his house.
Never Attempt To Teach a Pig To Sing; It Wastes Your Time and Annoys the Pig

Polecat

Not certain, but as I recall, this was the first season, and maybe game, we wore red pants.
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

Polecat

HDN: crab pinchers..........
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

BigD94

Quote from: arktravlr on October 17, 2016, 08:09:24 pm

Miss the slobberin hog
WOO PIG!

elksnort

Quote from: Polecat on October 18, 2016, 02:55:48 pm
Not certain, but as I recall, this was the first season, and maybe game, we wore red pants.
We wore red pants in Austin against Texas in 1978. Just for the record. Not sure is this was the first time or not.

Jborohog09

Quote from: elksnort on October 18, 2016, 04:06:12 pm
We wore red pants in Austin against Texas in 1978. Just for the record. Not sure is this was the first time or not.

I think 1998 at Memphis was the first time since that game at Texas.  They wore them several times on the road under HDN.