Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sports Illustrated weighs in with 3 thoughts on Hogs ove Ole Miss

Started by WizardofhOgZ, October 17, 2016, 02:24:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Großer Kriegschwein

This is my non-signature signature.

PorkSoda

some good points though.  our Oline did show improvement, and OM's hopes of winning the west are extinguished
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Pudgepork

When ole miss lost a large lead and then the game to bama,
I think all doubt disappeared regarding who will win the west.
aTm has a chance albeit a slim one

jjdlc

I wouldn't really call losing after leading by 3 for all of 6 minutes of game time, "Blowing a lead." 

HF#1

He is dismissing Arkansas in a very nice way while basically saying that Ole Miss can't hold a lead. As if the other team has nothing to do with it.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

a0ashle

Quote from: jjdlc on October 17, 2016, 02:55:40 pm
I wouldn't really call losing after leading by 3 for all of 6 minutes of game time, "Blowing a lead."

This drives me nuts, just like it did when people said TCU blew their lead to us. It is a lazy attempt to tie reality to a narrative that barely fits.

Razorbackers

Only thing I have issue with is calling A&M elite tier SEC.

They're a darn good program but c'mon. If they beat Bama this year, then they'll be positioned well for this season, but even then, they're probably going to see some drop off next year.

PorkSoda

Quote from: HF#1 on October 17, 2016, 02:58:38 pm
He is dismissing Arkansas in a very nice way while basically saying that Ole Miss can't hold a lead. As if the other team has nothing to do with it.
yeah, its an obvious ole miss slant.  if I wrote the article about TAMU, it would say the same narrative except with a Arkansas slant.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Pig In The City

A loss is still a loss no matter how many ways you slice it. Rationalizations make people feel better. 

rljjr

Quote from: UAfanatic on October 17, 2016, 03:24:57 pm
Seemed like an Ole Miss Apologist.

Well we're used to seeing them year after year after year now.

31to6

Quote from: jjdlc on October 17, 2016, 02:55:40 pm

"plenty of chance to  seize control beforehand"...

Wow. It doesn't seem like we were even watching the same game.

To me, "sieze control for good" is *at least* a 2TD lead, not trailing for most of the game and only getting a 3 pt lead to lose it right away.

I mean, if any team had a chance to 'sieze control for good' it was the team that lead most of the game even after they settled for FG's twice in the red zone.

razorsharptusk

I'll agree our defense struggled to get lined up in time at times.  I'm not sure if it was celebrating after a play or just slow to get back into position.  But they did enough to win no matter.  It appeared our secondary was confused during the times they couldn't get lined up which actually allowed them to catch some passes they otherwise may not have gotten.  They'll clean it up.
GO HOGS!!

Wmhog

I thought we won the game until I read that.  Now Im depressed!

popcornhog

Quote from: Razorbackers on October 17, 2016, 03:03:50 pm

They're a darn good program but c'mon. If they beat Bama this year, then they'll be positioned well for this season, but even then, they're probably going to see some drop off next year.

He's just talking about 2016.

A&M will never be consistently elite, in my mind, but they are as of Oct. 17 for the 2016 season.
WPS

PonderinHog

Quote from: Wmhog on October 17, 2016, 05:22:33 pm
I thought we won the game until I read that.  Now Im depressed!
There's always next year...   ;D   :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: 31to6 on October 17, 2016, 04:00:44 pm
"plenty of chance to  seize control beforehand"...

Wow. It doesn't seem like we were even watching the same game.

To me, "sieze control for good" is *at least* a 2TD lead, not trailing for most of the game and only getting a 3 pt lead to lose it right away.

I mean, if any team had a chance to 'sieze control for good' it was the team that lead most of the game even after they settled for FG's twice in the red zone.

Yep, that one was out of touch with reality.  Before the interception, Arkansas was about to seize control of the game for good.  Up 27-23 and driving, about to make it 34-23 in the 4th quarter, Ole Miss would've been close to desperation mode.  Instead, we missed our chance to seize and let them back into the game.  And then won anyway.

Writer is a clueless Ole Miss apologist.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

TexHog188

Quote from: popcornhog on October 17, 2016, 05:23:45 pm
He's just talking about 2016.

A&M will never be consistently elite, in my mind, but they are as of Oct. 17 for the 2016 season.

As long as the Big 12 is in disarray and Texas is below Avg, aTm will continue to have above avg to great recruiting.  Houston to the Big 12 would have impacted recruiting and still might... but a weak Longhorn program is aggie heaven.
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

longpig

or next month
Don't be scared, be smart.

hoginator

Quote from: PonderinHog on October 17, 2016, 05:49:47 pm
There's always next year...   ;D   :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
And last year. And the year before...
Someone who doesn't stand for something will fall for anything...

KlubhouseKonnected

The thing I would be interested to know is if he thinks Ole Miss is in that "upper tier" of the sec that Arkansas is not. I think I know what his answer would be, but I don't know how he would be able to rationalize it.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

rude1

We didn't actually win, it was all about Ole Miss inability to close out wins. I guess in this guys world they are never beaten, they just give games away.

5HOG5

A&M would had a loss against Arkansas if the Hogs had played the passing game, the A&M defense couldnt keep up with our recieving core. Just stupid play calling! I hope Bama blows away A&M because they are not elite, just very fortunate they havent made mistakes like there opponents have to keep the aggies undefeated so far.. That will change saturday! Go Tide!

bpoecell

Quote from: rude1 on October 17, 2016, 09:32:15 pm
We didn't actually win, it was all about Ole Miss inability to close out wins. I guess in this guys world they are never beaten, they just give games away.

I know a guy like that. Every time the Chiefs lose I have to hear some variant of "I hate it because we just gave it to them". I guess that feels better to some people than admitting you get your ass kicked sometimes.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: rude1 on October 17, 2016, 09:32:15 pm
Much my same thoughts. Yep, don't give any real credit to the Hogs. It's always easier to alibi a loss by saying " you just couldn't hold the lead". Gosh, and here I was thinking most teams actually have to EARN a victory. Obviously with OM it's totally the opposite-they GIVE you the game.  :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

Hawgzinbowlz

We're tougher, mentally, than Ole Miss.

In the first quarter we were out of position in the secondary several times and we cleaned that up as the game progressed.

" GO HOGS "

DeltaBoy

Yep if we don't have that 4th quarter pick deep in their side of the field we would have blown them out.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.