Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hogs VS Wisky in the Outback Bowl?

Started by WizardofhOgZ, October 17, 2016, 10:47:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WizardofhOgZ

Kevin

would love it. no spread team with duel threat qb would be fine with me.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hogcard1964

They have a good defense and no offense.  Fwiw, I think they'll lose again this week.  They're at Iowa and Iowa is finally starting to play better.

SpeedyHog

Call Me Trumpton.

phadedhawg

I don't want to play Wisconsin.  Too much drama.

trphog

Here's to winning out, A&M crapping the bed, and the Sugar Bowl coming to call the Hogs.

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

HighcountryHog

I want the Sugar Bowl or one in Florida. 
no bumps, no fat chicks

hogcard1964

Quote from: HighcountryHog on October 17, 2016, 12:45:21 pm
I want the Sugar Bowl or one in Florida.

We win out, and if we beat Florida we will, then I have a feeling the Sugar is ours.

SpeedyHog

Call Me Trumpton.

longpig

Quote from: trphog on October 17, 2016, 12:44:07 pm
Here's to winning out, A&M crapping the bed, and the Sugar Bowl coming to call the Hogs.

or aTm winning out after a close loss to Bama, Tenner crapping out but winning the east, Bama and aTm to the playoffs, Arkansas to Sugar.
Don't be scared, be smart.

incHOGnito

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on October 17, 2016, 10:47:46 am
That would be a juicy match-up, if it were to come about.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17806724/college-football-bowl-projections-2016-season-week-8

These typically don't take into account the preferences of the individual bowl selection committees. The Outback usually goes no farther west than Auburn, as they want to ensure fans will travel.  I can't remember if we have ever been to the Outback Bowl, but I would guess not in a while.

King Kong

razCzar

Waiting on this thread to post this article's SEC bowl projections -

Texas Bowl           Auburn vs. TCU/OkSt
Birmingham Bowl    Kentucky vs. Temple
Belk Bowl             Arkansas vs. Virginia Tech
Liberty Bowl        Texas vs. Kentucky (or) Georgia vs. TCU
Music City Bowl    Georgia vs. Iowa (or) Ole Miss vs. Maryland
Orange Bowl        Louisville vs. Tennessee
Citrus Bowl          Nebraska vs. Florida (or) Iowa vs. Tennessee
TaxSlayer Bowl     Miami vs. Ole Miss (or) Pittsburgh vs. LSU
Outback Bowl       Wisconsin vs. Arkansas (or) Indiana vs. Florida
Sugar Bowl          Texas A&M vs. Oklahoma/Baylor

Peach / semifinal   Alabama vs. Clemson
National Champ     Alabama vs Ohio State

Wisco Pig

The Badgers are surprisingly tough, and their freshman quarterback (Hornibrook) is coming along, but they're up against their most difficult schedule in years.  They could play their way into or out of a big bowl in the next three weeks:

At Iowa, which hasn't been overly impressive this year, but is still capable
Home vs. #8 Nebraska
At Northwestern, which is playing much better after two terrible losses to open the season

Seems like Wisconsin might have left too much on the field against Ohio St. Saturday night.  We'll see how the Badgers bounce back.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: Wisco Pig on October 17, 2016, 02:08:16 pm
The Badgers are surprisingly tough, and their freshman quarterback (Hornibrook) is coming along, but they're up against their most difficult schedule in years.  They could play their way into or out of a big bowl in the next three weeks:

At Iowa, which hasn't been overly impressive this year, but is still capable
Home vs. #8 Nebraska
At Northwestern, which is playing much better after two terrible losses to open the season

Seems like Wisconsin might have left too much on the field against Ohio St. Saturday night.  We'll see how the Badgers bounce back.

I respect Wisconsin, and based upon who their 2 losses were to, and how close the games are, they deserve to be ranked above us at this time.

That said, I think we match up very well with them.  They don't have the thing that hurts us most - a running threat at QB who can also throw.  They do have a good running game, but if we aren't facing a spread offense, we are a much better defense against the run than when we are spread out - and worrying about QB runs.

Meanwhile, while they do have a solid defense, we have shown time and again that we can find a way to score 30 on just about anyone.  So, I'd think this would be a very entertaining match (if it were to occur), and I'd feel pretty good about the outcome (considering it is a Bowl game, where both teams are typically pretty good).

SpeedyHog

Quote from: razCzar on October 17, 2016, 01:53:06 pm
Waiting on this thread to post this article's SEC bowl projections -

Texas Bowl           Auburn vs. TCU/OkSt
Birmingham Bowl    Kentucky vs. Temple
Belk Bowl             Arkansas vs. Virginia Tech
Liberty Bowl        Texas vs. Kentucky (or) Georgia vs. TCU
Music City Bowl    Georgia vs. Iowa (or) Ole Miss vs. Maryland
Orange Bowl        Louisville vs. Tennessee
Citrus Bowl          Nebraska vs. Florida (or) Iowa vs. Tennessee
TaxSlayer Bowl     Miami vs. Ole Miss (or) Pittsburgh vs. LSU
Outback Bowl       Wisconsin vs. Arkansas (or) Indiana vs. Florida
Sugar Bowl          Texas A&M vs. Oklahoma/Baylor

Peach / semifinal   Alabama vs. Clemson
National Champ     Alabama vs Ohio State

I wanna see Us matched against either Va Tech, Florida St, Miami or wait for it............Louisville. We would beat any of those teams.
Call Me Trumpton.

Captain Morgan

HF#1

Would give Bielema a chance to redeem his wife and her "karma" comment.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

trphog

Quote from: longpig on October 17, 2016, 01:15:50 pm
or aTm winning out after a close loss to Bama, Tenner crapping out but winning the east, Bama and aTm to the playoffs, Arkansas to Sugar.

You say tomato. I say tomato

gchamblee

Quote from: SpeedyHog on October 17, 2016, 02:39:53 pm
I wanna see Us matched against either Va Tech, Florida St, Miami or wait for it............Louisville. We would beat any of those teams.

Louisville would make us look silly

gchamblee

I aint gonna lie, the wiscy defense kind of scares me.

HF#1

Quote from: gchamblee on October 17, 2016, 03:01:44 pm

On defense yes. I think we could score on them.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

gchamblee

Quote from: HF#1 on October 17, 2016, 03:02:35 pm
On defense yes. I think we could score on them.

Just not as often as they score on us. That is the problem :P

HF#1

Quote from: gchamblee on October 17, 2016, 03:03:30 pm
Just not as often as they score on us. That is the problem :P

I don't know. I think the players would be pretty hyped about that game. They know the history. I think we would overachieve.

SpeedyHog

Quote from: gchamblee on October 17, 2016, 03:01:44 pm

Could if We din't shore up our defense.
Call Me Trumpton.

GuvHog

Quote from: HF#1 on October 17, 2016, 03:07:24 pm
I don't know. I think the players would be pretty hyped about that game. They know the history. I think we would overachieve.

There aren't very many of Bobby Petrino's players left on the Hog roster so if they're hyped, it won't be for that reason.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: phadedhawg on October 17, 2016, 12:39:34 pm
It would overshadow both the accomplishment and the game. I don't want to see it either.

scorekeeper

For all this to come true...aTm would have to beat Bama. Then Bama would beat the dog crap out of every remaining team on their schedule thus getting back into the playoffs. aTm doesn't have the "love" or "brand" to lose a game and get playoff hype. Sad but likely true. Tennessee wins out but gets spanked in the SEC championship game. We just have to take care of business.
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

ghostzapper

Wisconsin can't go to Outback Bowl.  It's likely Nebraska if we make it.
http://collegefootballnews.com/2016/college-football-bowl-ties-affiliations-conference

There is no scenario I can see where we end up in Capital One or Sugar Bowls.  Tennessee is going to win out until they get creamed in SEC Championship game.  I think A&M loses Saturday, but has a good chance to win out after that.  Those two teams fill the Cap One and Sugar slots.

I think we're playing Auburn for the Outback or Taxslayer slots with loser getting the latter.

Being from St. Pete, I'm hoping Outback Bowl is our destination.

Augustus

We would need Tennessee to crap the bed, too.

Actually, we both have 2 losses at this point, to the same teams (A&M and Bama).

Assuming A&M ends up with 3 conf losses, and Hogs & Vols win out, who gets the Sugar Bowl nod?

Tennessee? because they were in the SEC Championship game? (November will be tough for Florida)

Yeah, I know we're way ahead of ourselves here.

Augustus

Quote from: SpeedyHog on October 17, 2016, 02:39:53 pm

Have you watched Louisville play this year? And/or the Hogs defense?

Louisville would throttle Us. Full stop.

Edit:  As a side note, did the Arkansas marijuana bill get voted on & passed early?

WizardofhOgZ

SpeedyHog

Quote from: Augustus on October 17, 2016, 05:11:19 pm
Have you watched Louisville play this year? And/or the Hogs defense?

Louisville would throttle Us. Full stop.

Edit:  As a side note, did the Arkansas marijuana bill get voted on & passed early?

Yes and Yes. I think Louisville would have a off day against Us in the bowl game.
Call Me Trumpton.

Dominicanhog

my prediction as well against Oklahoma or Baylor... Maybe the Orange against Louisville or Nebraska...

Swine-as-wine

no guarantee that would put us in the Sugar. In 2012, there was no SEC team in the Sugar.

A bunch of things would need to happen for us to get a tier one  or top 5 bowl, most of it unlikely.  Right now we might get a second tier bowl if we can manage to lose 1 or less more games which will be very tough.  Either way first or second tier bowl, we would be moving into territory where we would have to actually play our butts off to win as we would likely not be head and shoulders better than the competition.  Would we rather have another brain dead bowl win or a better bowl and real competition?

Hoggish1

That's more like it!

LZH

I would be all for it....only a twenty minute drive from here. Probably need at least nine wins though, which seems somewhat doable now.

Jborohog09

Quote from: Swine-as-wine on October 17, 2016, 08:03:44 pm
no guarantee that would put us in the Sugar. In 2012, there was no SEC team in the Sugar.

That was because of the absurd BCS rule that only two teams from one conference could go to a BCS game though.  I'm pretty sure that's not the case now, but I could be wrong.

longpig

October 17, 2016, 08:42:15 pm #40 Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 09:26:08 pm by longpig
Quote from: Jborohog09 on October 17, 2016, 08:33:42 pm
That was because of the absurd BCS rule that only two teams from one conference could go to a BCS game though.  I'm pretty sure that's not the case now, but I could be wrong.

There's been two teams from the same conference in the early weekly playoff picks, one of them always lost and got dropped.  I assume they would have both stayed had they won out.
Don't be scared, be smart.

goodguytex

I really don't want the Hogs to play Wisconsin in a bowl game. It's would be personally emotionally hard on Bielema. Their HC is a personal friend and former bielema assistant. I think the drama would overshadow everything.

As for the teams ahead of the Hogs right now... The Saggies still have to play LSU, and Ole Miss, and bama. And a road game at Mississippi State. But if trends hold up, they will only lose to Alabama and be a 1 loss team.   

Tennessee has the easiest schedule left to play. At South Carolina, Kentucky, Missouri and at vandy are their remaining conference games. But they have 2 losses already. If they play bama in the Conference championship game, that's 3 losses.

Florida has to play the Hogs, Georgia, south Carolina, and Florida State. There could easily be 2 more losses in there.

Bottom line.... We just have to hope the Hogs do their part, and win out. If we do, many different scenarios will open up, including cotton, citrus, outback and sugar. But none of it matters if we don't win out.

jgphillips3

We are as good or better than everyone left on our schedule.  Anything between 8-4 and 10-2 seems possible for us.  A&M is going to be beaten like a red headed step child by Bama.  After that, I only see 1 game that is even a maybe for them.  They should go 11-1 or 10-2 at worst. 

In a best case scenario, a 12-0 Alabama and 11-1 go to the playoffs leaving 10-2 Arkansas to the Sugar (again BEST case scenario).  If we go 10-2, every team in the East has at least 2 losses and I don't see any of them getting the nod ahead of us except for Tennessee possibly.

At worst, 8-4 gets us a solid bowl.  9-3 absolutely does.  If we collapse and go 7-5, then it's back to weed eater bowls.  I just don't see a collapse as likely.

3kgthog

What is with this being afraid of the drama crap? It's football and Bret's a big boy. Were you afraid when we played against Nutt?

The coaches deal with the off field stories and the players play. I'd take a battle against a similar system and solid program over playing a lesser spread team that you gain nothing but a trophy by beating them. At least by beating Wisconsin we'd get a measure of respect and a slight recruiting bump in B1G country.

goodguytex

Quote from: 3kgthog on October 17, 2016, 10:33:32 pm
What is with this being afraid of the drama crap? It's football and Bret's a big boy. Were you afraid when we played against Nutt?

The coaches deal with the off field stories and the players play. I'd take a battle against a similar system and solid program over playing a lesser spread team that you gain nothing but a trophy by beating them. At least by beating Wisconsin we'd get a measure of respect and a slight recruiting bump in B1G country.
I'm not afraid of the drama at all. But then again I don't have to be. I'm not going to be one of those coaching or playing.

The bowl we play should be about the team, not the drama involving the HC and previous relationship with his old team. If we play them anyway, I'm sure our team will be up for the challenge

And btw, Nutt was HC of one and only one team after he left Arkansas.... Old Miss who are also in the SEC West. We don't have a choice if we play them or not. We will every year, no matter who their HC is. Bad example.

rickm1976

Quote from: phadedhawg on October 17, 2016, 12:39:34 pm

This.  Too much distraction, and if by some odd chance of fate the stars lined up just right and we played a terrible game with multiple turnovers and penalties, and they managed to scratch out a win (hey - anything's possible), we'd never hear the end of it.

ghostzapper

If college football news is right, we can't play Wisoncin in the Outback Bowl because Wisconsin can't go.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: LZH on October 17, 2016, 08:33:30 pm
I would be all for it....only a twenty minute drive from here. Probably need at least nine wins though, which seems somewhat doable now.

I co-sign!!
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Justifiable Hogicide on October 17, 2016, 03:44:15 pm
It would overshadow both the accomplishment and the game. I don't want to see it either.

Same with Louisville.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

redleg

Arkansas has never beaten a Big Ten team in a bowl game. I would rather go to the Gator Bowl (I refuse to call it the Taxslayer Bowl) and play an ACC squad.
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.