Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas 34 Ole Miss + Curls 30

Started by Captain Morgan, October 16, 2016, 12:40:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on October 19, 2016, 11:31:18 am
But are they learning the craft 40-50 hours a week, five days a week during that time?

You can get prepared for the CCNA with a two week intensive boot camp. I have to believe that a seven month intensive program could get someone at least close to ready to ref in the SEC.

I'm not saying that the first year or two wouldn't be shaky, but I think it would help solve a long term problem.

Tell you what, you go sign up for your local football association next year, you study real hard all summer, watch films, maybe volunteer to work camps and the like, then you go to your 1st Friday night game. Then come back and tell me if you think a 7 month bootcamp will get a crew ready for the sec.

Again, it may happen over time, but there is no way that it is going to work in one year, not with new guys anyway.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: hogsanity on October 19, 2016, 11:35:04 am
Tell you what, you go sign up for your local football association next year, you study real hard all summer, watch films, maybe volunteer to work camps and the like, then you go to your 1st Friday night game. Then come back and tell me if you think a 7 month bootcamp will get a crew ready for the sec.

Again, it may happen over time, but there is no way that it is going to work in one year, not with new guys anyway.

At this point, we're just arguing specifics. Maybe the model that I came up with off the top of my head has flaws. But the core of my point is that money attracts talent and provides incentive for excellence.

We have a job here that is, apparently, not being done well. We also have the resources to address it. No other major sports outlet,  professional nor collegiate, seems to have chronic reffing issues. So why does NCAAF in general, and the SEC & Big XII in particular?

hogsanity

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on October 19, 2016, 11:46:34 am

We have a job here that is, apparently, not being done well.

And there is the crux of it. Who is saying it is not being done well? Fans, that is who is saying it. Fans that 99% of have never nor will ever officiate anything. Fans, who no matter how much training, no matter if the crews are full time and paid a million a year, will complain and whine and think the refs are horrible. Fans, who blame everything on the refs.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: hogsanity on October 19, 2016, 11:49:38 am
And there is the crux of it. Who is saying it is not being done well? Fans, that is who is saying it. Fans that 99% of have never nor will ever officiate anything. Fans, who no matter how much training, no matter if the crews are full time and paid a million a year, will complain and whine and think the refs are horrible. Fans, who blame everything on the refs.

This is a good point and it's precisely why I qualified my statement.

But I will point out that something like 40% of calls reviewed have been overturned this year. With all of the recently added complication to the game, maybe it's time to make it a full time gig instead of part time?

edit: I mean no disrespect to the refs by saying this.

CaddoHog

The Hogs are definitely screwed by the refs, intentionally, often.

Ive been watching it, in the big3 sports, especially football, for the last 35years -
in the old SWC, and very much so now in the SEC.

For the ppl that think that isn't true...  you are delusional.
-    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -

CaddoHog:  the most hated member on Hogville.net
(for the reasons of _______________________ )

hogsanity

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on October 19, 2016, 11:52:57 am
This is a good point and it's precisely why I qualified my statement.

But I will point out that something like 40% of calls reviewed have been overturned this year. With all of the recently added complication to the game, maybe it's time to make it a full time gig instead of part time?

edit: I mean no disrespect to the refs by saying this.

But you have to take into account that on these reversals the replay refs have access to camera angles, high def, rewind, etc that the on field guys do not have. Also, on some close calls, they are told to let it play out unless they are 100% sure the whistle should be blown or a fumble ruled.

Most of what fans whine about is judgement calls ( holding for example ), or the ubiquitous " the refs are out to screw the hogs " ( see the post just after your last one ).

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: hogsanity on October 19, 2016, 12:01:00 pm
But you have to take into account that on these reversals the replay refs have access to camera angles, high def, rewind, etc that the on field guys do not have. Also, on some close calls, they are told to let it play out unless they are 100% sure the whistle should be blown or a fumble ruled.

Most of what fans whine about is judgement calls ( holding for example ), or the ubiquitous " the refs are out to screw the hogs " ( see the post just after your last one ).

Bu... but... muh Texas Alabama conspiracy!!1

No, I get you. Florida '09 and this last game were about the only times I've been really upset with the refs. (that I can remember) It's a hard job.

I just like to try to solve problems in new ways. Hopefully no toes were too mashed.  :razorback:

hogsanity

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on October 19, 2016, 12:05:27 pm
Bu... but... muh Texas Alabama conspiracy!!1

No, I get you. Florida '09 and this last game were about the only times I've been really upset with the refs. (that I can remember) It's a hard job.

I just like to try to solve problems in new ways. Hopefully no toes were too mashed.  :razorback:

I am still trying to figure out what was so bad about the officiating in this last game. Yes, they missed the facemask on hatcher, and the Pi on Sprinkle was a bad call, the back judge just can't throw that flag, but this constant droning from some ( not saying you 0 that the refs are out to get the hogs is just really lame.