Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will Coley's ejection be reviewed by the SEC?

Started by hogz11, October 15, 2016, 11:22:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JaketheSnake

Quote from: hog.goblin on October 16, 2016, 12:11:45 am
Under the rules it's definitely targeting.  He led with the shoulder but actually hit helmet to helmet first.  He also let up and didn't hit him that hard.

The WR wasn't a defender yet because he was still finishing his stride on offense and was defenseless.

So by rule it's correct.  But it was a little ticky tacky based on the amount of force (or lack thereof).  Worthy of a penalty, not worthy of an ejection.

I agree with others, I hope Coley continues to play the same way.
But the side view showed space between helmets through the entire hit.  Coley's hekmet never touched the WR

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: JaketheSnake on October 16, 2016, 07:24:21 am
But the side view showed space between helmets through the entire hit.  Coley's hekmet never touched the WR

The helmet to helmet is just part of the rule. It doesn't matter the helmet never touched per definition. I don't like it either, but it's the rule.

grassroothog

The ball would have been caught by the reciever if not for Tolliver getting his hand up at the last split second. Coley was almost to reciever at full speed. How do you not hit him? It was a BS call.

DeltaBoy

Stupid call and application of the rule .I hope the SEC Office tosses this.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hawg66

The thing is, it wasn't a bang-bang play.  Coley took two full steps after the pick and had time to pull off.  Dumb play by Coley, twice this season.

I agree the hit wasn't malicious, but the rule is designed to make players be aware of defenseless players and learn to pull up.  Coley did neither.

lefty08

2 or 3 plays later they had a lineman grab our qbs face mask with BOTH hands and slung him down. That is dangerous, much more so than putting a shoulder in someone's chest. That face mask was obviously intentional by the players reaction as well.. Ole miss started playing dirty in the 4th which made this that much more enjoyable
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

grassroothog

October 16, 2016, 07:45:19 am #56 Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 07:57:14 am by grassroothog
Quote from: hawg66 on October 16, 2016, 07:41:22 am
The thing is, it wasn't a bang-bang play.  Coley took two full steps after the pick and had time to pull off.  Dumb play by Coley, twice this season.

I agree the hit wasn't malicious, but the rule is designed to make players be aware of defenseless players and learn to pull up.  Coley did neither.
Two full steps after Coley SAW the pick? Makes a difference.

root_hawg

And all Coley had to do was go for the receiver's belly and we aren't having this argument.  The crown of his helmet hit the facemask of the other guy about the same time as the shoulder pad hit the chest.  Drop down a foot, deliver that shoulder pad to the belly and probably not going to get that called.  Got to play smarter.

DEVIL DOG HOG

Two steps at full speed, one can't pull up.  At my speed I could but not an 18 -20 can't.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

hogpc

Quote from: S.A.D.C on October 16, 2016, 06:50:25 am
Another important thing about this rule any why it got called last night:- it clearly states:  "when in doubt it is a foul"

No player shall target and make forcible contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent (See Note 2 below) with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulder. This foul requires that there be at least one indicator of targeting (See Note 1 below). When in question, it is a foul (Rules 2-27-14 and 9-6).

Players have to know they can't be close- end of story.  I hate that last part- they should require it to be clear and unquestionable. 
You are making way too much sense for most of the homers here. IMO it was clearly the right call too. The receiver was a defenseless player and Coley most definitely hit him in the neck and head area. Coley has now been ejected twice, the kids gotta learn.  He had plenty of time to pull up a little and make a different kind of "block."

Großer Kriegschwein

Keon's torquing facemask was the worst miss of the game for the officials.
This is my non-signature signature.

grassroothog

I think it is odd that they ejected Coley AGAIN. Maybe it is the refs who are doing the targeting.

CaddoHog

Quote from: rljjr on October 15, 2016, 11:31:53 pm
To me if they called it AFTER the INT then he is no longer defenseless and is now a tackler. Additionally, it looked to me like a shoulderpad to the chest.

This^

He was simply putting a hard block on a "now-possible-tackler".

Teams get away with doing worse to our QB...  EVERY. GAME.
with no flags thrown.

-    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -

CaddoHog:  the most hated member on Hogville.net
(for the reasons of _______________________ )

HawgnCorona

Quote from: grassroothog on October 16, 2016, 08:00:35 am
I think it is odd that they ejected Coley AGAIN. Maybe it is the refs who are doing the targeting.

I must admit I thought similar...
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

Soooie21

Quote from: grassroothog on October 16, 2016, 07:45:19 am
Two full steps after Coley SAW the pick? Makes a difference.
That is easy to say watching it on tv, which slows the game speed down, but on the field it is a different speed than tv....

(notOM)Rebel123

There were so many incidents of "targeting" yesterday that were not called. In Bama-Tenn, by rule, 2-3 players could above been tossed. But no flag was thrown. In the UGA-Vandy game, Georgia QB was sliding down around the 5 year line & was just clocked by a Vandy player w/ a head shot. Helmet to Helmet. No flag. No flag in front of the Ole Miss bench after AA threw the int. and Skipper gets hit in the back while out of bounds after the play. Numerous face mask calls missed last night, as well. There's holding, by rule definition, on every play, but it isn't called.

It was a weak call. Refs need to be consistent.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Großer Kriegschwein

Unfortunately, Coley was part of a borderline play. You can't leave that up to a Curles led crew. If he would have dropped that hit 6 inches, there would have been the same effect on the receiver.

The missed calls that irritated me more: Austin facemask, Keon facemask, Sprinkle pass interference. I'm sure those 3 are on the list to be sent to the league office for review.

grassroothog

Quote from: Soooie21 on October 16, 2016, 08:06:50 am
That is easy to say watching it on tv, which slows the game speed down, but on the field it is a different speed than tv....
Well that is my point. The speed. How can a defender who is speeding towards the reciever, and just two steps away, recognize that the ball is intercepted, and then pull up in time to avoid the collision? I think that should have been considered before the guy is ejected. I would have told him all the way back to the locker room - GOOD JOB!

jm

It was a borderline play that should not have ended in ejection. It definitely doesn't merit missing the next game. The 15 yard late hit is not the issue, it is the selective use of the ejection that is and should be questioned.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: jm on October 16, 2016, 08:27:11 am
It was a borderline play that should not have ended in ejection. It definitely doesn't merit missing the next game. The 15 yard late hit is not the issue, it is the selective use of the ejection that is and should be questioned.

Great point.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: S.A.D.C on October 16, 2016, 06:26:19 am
For one- You seem to be confused by rule interpretation vs. rule approval.  The job of the officials is to apply the rules during the game.  They did that wether any of us  like the rule or not.

For two- players can get their knees and legs fixed or replaced and live a normal life.  You only get one brain.

I'm all for protecting players brains but let's use our brains in doing so and make the rule work to protect the players but not punish them unjustly for simply playing the game hard.

There were several face masks in that game that were WAY more dangerous than the hit Coley made.

The ejection part of the foul is what pisses me off to no end and it needs to be changed. Make the penalty a 30 yard penalty but no ejection or keep it a 15 yarder and keep the ejection but only after a second targeting call on the same player in the same game. 

To me that would be fair but to toss a kid for something like what Coley did, the first time, is pure chicken shat!
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

popcornhog

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on October 16, 2016, 01:20:11 am
Garbage call from garbage officials. The no call on hitting Cantrell out of bounds to the head was awful too.

It was technically the correct call, but in context I think it would usually be a no-call.

The no call on that hot out of bounds, though. That was absurd.
WPS

grassroothog

Steve Atwater would never have made it under these CS rules.

Pig In The City

I think he loaded up just to protect himself but it does look maybe he had time to avoid the contact.  Hard to tell though because things happen so quickly.  Definitely not a targeting penalty in my opinion.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: S.A.D.C on October 15, 2016, 11:40:57 pm
It was targeting.  For it to be targeting you do not have to hit the head "head and neck area."  And you don't have to hit WITH your head.  You can target with a shoulder.  Also, if in doubt it's supposed to get called.  Basically: you can't go high. 

"No player shall target and make forcible contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent (See Note 2 below) with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulder. This foul requires that there be at least one indicator of targeting (See Note 1 below)."

If that is the rule then it wasn't targeting. Coley's shoulder clearly hit the 12 on the player's jersey. That is the chest which is below the neck area. The player's head popped due to him being in mid stride. I was steamrolled several times simply because I was in mid stride.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: ChitownHawg on October 16, 2016, 08:46:50 am
If that is the rule then it wasn't targeting. Coley's shoulder clearly hit the 12 on the player's jersey. That is the chest which is below the neck area. The player's head popped due to him being in mid stride. I was steamrolled several times simply because I was in mid stride.

I get it but they are gonna err on the side of protecting the receiver, no matter what our opinion is.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: S.A.D.C on October 15, 2016, 11:40:57 pm
It was targeting.  For it to be targeting you do not have to hit the head "head and neck area."  And you don't have to hit WITH your head.  You can target with a shoulder.  Also, if in doubt it's supposed to get called.  Basically: you can't go high. 

"No player shall target and make forcible contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent (See Note 2 below) with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulder. This foul requires that there be at least one indicator of targeting (See Note 1 below)."

I'm sorry but why don't you spend your time telling us why and when Ole Mss and other teams get away with things instead of always taking the refs side against the Razorbacks.  What about Sparks bow to AA head just after that?   

That was targeting and clearly to the head. 

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on October 16, 2016, 08:55:45 am
I'm sorry but why don't you spend your time telling us why and when Ole Mss and other teams get away with things instead of always taking the refs side against the Razorbacks.  What about Sparks bow to AA head just after that?   

That was targeting and clearly to the head.

Yep. Because they screwed that one up means they should have screwed both of them up. Solid.

Curles crews are bad. We know this. Can we not revel in the win without melting down on missed or franked up officiating?

PonderinHog

I'll take the win and I hope his ejection is overturned.   :razorback:

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on October 16, 2016, 08:48:35 am
I get it but they are gonna err on the side of protecting the receiver, no matter what our opinion is.

No the are going to error on the side of a Razorback opponent and that has became a common thing.  They intentionally go blind when it's a Razorback being targeted.  Coley clearly turned into a blocker on a defensive player. 

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on October 16, 2016, 08:58:43 am
Yep. Because they screwed that one up means they should have screwed both of them up. Solid.

Curles crews are bad. We know this. Can we not revel in the win without melting down on missed or franked up officiating?

Not just no but H no because that win is over and we play a resurging Auburn team possibly without one of our best defensive players for a half.  Do you not care about that?  Do you care about taking the refs side more?  It's very relevant to our success whether or not the SEC decided to uphold the call.

Besides, they did screw up both call.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on October 16, 2016, 09:05:34 am
Not just no but H no because that win is over and we play a resurging Auburn team possibly without one of our best defensive players for a half.  Do you not care about that?  Do you care about taking the refs side more?  It's very relevant to our success whether or not the SEC decided to uphold the call.

Besides, they did screw up both call.

If that's the case, it will be overturned by the league office. I thought the backup played just fine after he was ejected early in the second half.

I care, but Coley, again, put himself in the position for an a official to make that call. That one is on Coley. I ain't mad at him. Not nearly as mad at him as you are with people that are saying that it was borderline and went against us, same as it always does with a Curles crew.

Why is this a surprise?

Maybe I got better things to do that get all pissy on a Sunday morning after a good win against a conference opponent.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on October 16, 2016, 09:13:12 am
If that's the case, it will be overturned by the league office. I thought the backup played just fine after he was ejected early in the second half.

I care, but Coley, again, put himself in the position for an a official to make that call. That one is on Coley. I ain't mad at him. Not nearly as mad at him as you are with people that are saying that it was borderline and went against us, same as it always does with a Curles crew.

Why is this a surprise?

Maybe I got better things to do that get all pissy on a Sunday morning after a good win against a conference opponent.

Maybe not, you are in this thread too.  The question was ask by the OP because it's important.  I'm gonna take the Razorback side if I believe the call was bogus and that's all there is to it.  I hope the side with the Razorbacks but no I won't be holding my breath.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on October 16, 2016, 08:48:35 am

If I it were anyone but Marc Curles.  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

hogcard1964

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on October 16, 2016, 01:20:11 am
Garbage call from garbage officials. The no call on hitting Cantrell out of bounds to the head was awful too.

Yes that was awful.  The crowd went absolutely crazy after watching the replay but the announcers glossed right over it.

Josh Goforth

Quote from: Hog Solo on October 15, 2016, 11:30:28 pm
Terrible call.  I didn't see it on tv but at the game it looked like he hit him in the shoulder pads.  On tv was there a clip of the helmet?

He just has to play smarter. Its a tough position to be in.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/10/15/13296460/arkansas-de-andre-coley-has-now-been-ejected-twice-this-year-for-targeting

blob:https://vine.co/5b5a63f9-7a30-404d-bd6a-f891eb0b0f01

No player shall target and make forcible contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent (See Note 2 below) with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulder. This foul requires that there be at least one indicator of targeting (See Note 1 below). When in question, it is a foul.

Leading with helmet, shoulder, forearm, fist, hand or elbow to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area

DeltaHog66

Defend it all you want but he was not targeting the head/neck area. The
Kids helmet hit Coley's helmet because he got popped. Had he targeted the kids head, it would be different. He shouldn't have been ejected.

The real Hogules

If Coley had launched himself at the Old Myth player, or made contact to the head or neck area I'd be more inclined to agree with the call. That wasn't what happened though. Coley was still standing after the hit and never touched the receiver above the shoulder pads. There's too much grey area in the rule as its currently written and is basically left to the officials discretion, which usually favors the Bama's of college football. The rule the way it's currently written be darned, that was a clean hit and the penalty should not have been called!
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

snoop hawgy hawg

This may be strange, but do you guys think its THAT bad to have a safety with a bit of a reputation? I want receivers to have their head on a swivel when De'Andre Coley is on the field...

Piggfoot

In my opinion he was not defenseless. He was looking in the direction of the hit and could have used his hands to avert the hit.
This is a BS rule. QBs get blindsided all the time. They are defenseless IMO because they don't see it coming.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

searkhogfan

Does he have to miss the whole game next week?  Was thinking after 2nd ejection you have to miss a whole game

clutch

The bad thing is that neither one of his targeting calls have looked that malicious. That kid is going to miss 2 complete games when you add up suspension time from the 2 ejections. Pretty harsh for two questionable calls. I'm all for player safety, but I haven't seen much in either one of his targeting fouls that looked like he was trying to hurt anyone. The one thing I would worry about with him getting that reputation is if the refs start watching him too closely. It would be nice if the opposing offense started to fear him some though.

clutch

Quote from: searkhogfan on October 16, 2016, 10:16:11 am
Does he have to miss the whole game next week?  Was thinking after 2nd ejection you have to miss a whole game

I think it's still just first half.

H&D

Quote from: searkhogfan on October 16, 2016, 10:16:11 am

He has to miss the first half of next week's game.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

searkhogfan

Just watched it again.  Coley's shoulder pad clearly hit the WR between the numbers.  Purely BS call.  Also after the review.  They announced the call Stands, not the call is CONFIRMED.  Gives some hope that it will be overturned.

cc

Quote from: S.A.D.C on October 16, 2016, 06:26:19 am
For one- You seem to be confused by rule interpretation vs. rule approval.  The job of the officials is to apply the rules during the game.  They did that wether any of us  like the rule or not.

For two- players can get their knees and legs fixed or replaced and live a normal life.  You only get one brain.

After 7 knee surgeries now, no you can't with severe knee injuries.  The problem I have is one that was more blantant against them 5 feet from an official and 10 foot out of bounds.  To the head and late and no flag. 

The guy should have been ejected for the play on AA.  That dude got away with 4-5 plays that were horrible.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on October 16, 2016, 09:21:53 am
Maybe not, you are in this thread too.  The question was ask by the OP because it's important.  I'm gonna take the Razorback side if I believe the call was bogus and that's all there is to it.  I hope the side with the Razorbacks but no I won't be holding my breath.

Bogus was the Sprinkle call. Bad judgement was the Coley call. I've seen worse on the targeting rule.

jjdlc

Quote from: The real Hogules on October 16, 2016, 09:55:03 am
If Coley had launched himself at the Old Myth player, or made contact to the head or neck area I'd be more inclined to agree with the call. That wasn't what happened though. Coley was still standing after the hit and never touched the receiver above the shoulder pads. There's too much grey area in the rule as its currently written and is basically left to the officials discretion, which usually favors the Bama's of college football. The rule the way it's currently written be darned, that was a clean hit and the penalty should not have been called!

This, there is way too much variance in the way the rule is called.  By the way the rule is written, that play last night should in no way have resulted in an ejection.  If they want it called that way, they need to clarify the rule.  The way it stands right now, you see much worse go uncalled, while also having situations like last night when a negligible hit ends up with an ejection.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: jjdlc on October 16, 2016, 10:48:05 am
This, there is way too much variance in the way the rule is called.  By the way the rule is written, that play last night should in no way have resulted in an ejection.  If they want it called that way, they need to clarify the rule.  The way it stands right now, you see much worse go uncalled, while also having situations like last night when a negligible hit ends up with an ejection.

You nailed it brother. My issue isn't with the rule, per se, just way too much variance crew to crew and conference to conference.

Nobody want to see 18 year olds protected from life altering injuries more than me, but there has to be some consistency for the defensive backs. The Hatcher face-mask last night should qualify as a targeting ejection penalty.

Redhogs

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 16, 2016, 06:47:31 am
They are turning college football into a powder-puff game. I saw nothing wrong with where he hit him or how he hit him. If you are headed one direction and you get blocked like that WR was, your head is going to snap back a bit. It happens.

The last time that Coley got called for this he was a tad late making the contact, but he didn't lead with his helmet in that case either, he led with his shoulder.

Let's just cover the kids in bubble wrap from head to toe and play two-below touch football.
100% agree.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?