Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Did DC Robb Smith make an adjustment?

Started by ThisTeetsTaken, October 15, 2016, 10:03:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ThisTeetsTaken

***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

jjdlc

CBB said in his pressed changes were going to happen.

ballz2thewall

not really. we sent a few more guys in late in the 4th. we usually do that. this time it worked.

it would be nice to do that in the first half.
The rest of the frog.

Arkansas Fan

If there was changes, it was from Bielema.

passinghog

Blitzed more, which I've always thought you have to do against spread teams. You have to dictate the action as often as you can since they're dead set on dictating tempo.

jm

They looked better tonight with a few exceptions. Still giving up too much on the QB run. The hit that caused the fumble at the end was great, but it would have been a first down if the ball hadn't come out. 

Pancetta

I liked that they blitzed Ellis. He has a hard time in coverage so I think that rushing him on obvious passing downs turns a negative into a positive.
Jump Ball / Re: Time to hit the panic button?
January 06, 2022, 05:32:59 pm
Nah. Every single transfer can score. The shots will come once the pecking order gets sorted out.
Pancetta

idochog

I love Jesus!

jfred59

Quote from: jm on October 15, 2016, 10:19:12 pm
They looked better tonight with a few exceptions. Still giving up too much on the QB run. The hit that caused the fumble at the end was great, but it would have been a first down if the ball hadn't come out. 

And it should have been a fumble when it did come out

TNRazorbacker

We gave up some but we also made some plays in key situations.  You have to take chances to make things happen sometimes, particularly when you are playing talented QB's.

dhizzle

Seems like we blitzed more. I've been calling for more blitzes since last year. I watched bamer send 7 players last week to our qb.

Smokehouse

Quote from: Showtimehog on October 15, 2016, 10:08:38 pm
Blitzed more, which I've always thought you have to do against spread teams. You have to dictate the action as often as you can since they're dead set on dictating tempo.

And especially HUNH teams. Blitz caused some good 1st down plays that took them out of their hurry up that was torching us all night.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

Hogzilla Killa

We are a much better defense when we have pressure on the passer from the linebackers. I have been waiting for this all year. I'd rather see our aggressive defense give up yards as opposed to sitting back and just getting ripped by the other teams QB seemily without much effort

Hogs run wild

someone made a half time adjustment not to take their sweet time getting defensive plays in...
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

ballz2thewall

we actually looked worse in many areas.

it was as though we had never seen a hurry up scheme before. indeed; ole miss brags on this part of their attack. we knew it was coming. we've played it before against ole miss and other teams.

yet, we're fire-drilling getting set up.

The rest of the frog.

Arkansas Fan

Did anyone notice the stunt that got Ledbetter the sack? STUNTING!

MissippHog

It's amazing what happens when you dial up a few extra blitzes and put a little pressure on the quarterback.

Youngsta71701

We also faked the blitz more. Especially in the A gaps.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

We also played more Cover1 which allowed a linebacker to stay in the middle of the field for the most part. Although they still didn't make the tackle plenty of times at least someone was there.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

upperdeck_hawg

Biggest adjustment was putting a safety on Engram. They were abusing Ellis with that matchup in the first half.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

HawgnCorona

Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

Steef

HOGINTENNESSEE

Defense played will when they got set. Not so good when Ole Piss got the ball off at like 8 second into the play clock

Dark Helmet Hog

They played much more aggressive, and it was a great thing.

Lake City Hog

In the first half, Arkansas blitzed just four times on 22 dropbacks, including just once in the first 15. Robb Smith switched it up in the second half, dialing up 13 blitzes in 22 dropbacks. All were linebacker blitzes with Brooks Ellis and Dwayne Eugene. Some were delayed. Others were not.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2016/oct/16/5-observations-arkansas-ole-miss/

Yep, he changed it up a LOT in the 2nd half. MAYBE this will convince everyone that when turned loose this D could be pretty good.

PorkRinds

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on October 16, 2016, 07:22:31 am
Defense played will when they got set. Not so good when Ole Piss got the ball off at like 8 second into the play clock

I agree with this. That timing is a big deal for our defense. If they're not getting set they aren't ready which leads to confusion. I'll say this though, there were more than a couple of times where OM was so tied to tempo that it screwed them over. It doesn't do much good to get the defense off balance if your offense isn't set or ready either. They tempo'd themselves a few times last night.

younghog

Ellis looked lost.. To busy directing instead of getting set.. ~to me

GO HOGS
GO HOGS

LRrazorback

This. CRS never does this enough in my opinion. But the linebackers came on multiple plays last night. Don't remember a corner or safety blitz all season

PorkRinds

Here's my thought. Our linebackers aren't good cover guys so blitz the hell out of them constantly. What's the point of having them cover if they get beat repeatedly.  Maybe that's what CBB and CRS had a spirited discussion about last week.

pigture perfect

He did make some nice adjustments at half. I think a previous poster or 2 has mentioned blitzes, so I won't.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Bacons Rebellion

Against our pressure game, Mississippi completed 5 passes in the second half in 18 attempts.

Redhogs

Exactly..didn't stop Kelly with that stupid zone read up the middle till halfway through the fourth quarter.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Redhogs

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 16, 2016, 01:56:24 pm
Here's my thought. Our linebackers aren't good cover guys so blitz the hell out of them constantly. What's the point of having them cover if they get beat repeatedly.  Maybe that's what CBB and CRS had a spirited discussion about last week.
Agree..slow and often out of position at the snap.

Redhogs

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on October 16, 2016, 02:34:17 am
Biggest adjustment was putting a safety on Engram. They were abusing Ellis with that matchup in the first half.
Bingo..

Lake City Hog

Few LB's are good cover guys. VERY few LB's have the speed to cover a TE, that's why O's scheme to get one-on-one's with a TE or RB on an LB.

Wouldn't it be great if Eugene could really take over Greenlaw's spot and allow Greenlaw to shed a few pounds and become hybrid safety/LB?

I would really like to see a D Coordinator come up with a scheme to disrupt the true spread offenses. Call it a 3-3-5 or even a 3-1-7 with 3 down linemen, 1 true ML, 2 hybrid safety/LB types, 4 corners and 1 true safety. On 1st down plays those offenses usually try to hit the quick 2 or 3 step passes to get a good 4 to 6 yards. It's almost impossible to get to the QB like that, but you could flood the flats with coverage and maybe get a break-up or tackle for minimal gain.

On 2nd or 3rd and long you could rush the normal 3 or bring in a 4th lineman, blitz the ML or the ML and 1 hybrid, or keep the ML home and blitz a corner and a hybrid or maybe even blitz the safety. The combinations could be countless and cause quite a bit of confusion for the O.

I have to believe that sooner or later some defensive guy will think outside the box and come up with a concept to disrupt spread teams.There are only a very few teams with the sheer talent to over-power spread teams for disruption.

Hognspace

Quote from: Hogs run wild on October 15, 2016, 10:42:55 pm
someone made a half time adjustment not to take their sweet time getting defensive plays in...

He just quit desguising coverage and ran a base cover 2.  The alignment was easy to read.  In the first half we ran basically the same thing, but had guys in different starting positions and rotations into coverages.  I like that he simplified the scheme to adjust for the hurry up. It helped the kids. The problem with that playing an elite qb like Kelly is that he will get comfortable with reads and pick you apart.  A QB doesn't have to question what they see when we do what we did the second half. As far as giving up the run to the scrambling qb...the spread is designed to spread out a defense and give the qb time and options. When the qb can run it is 1 v 1 with the Mike lb.  Ellis is slow. 

Locutus_of_Boar

True but the good news is Arkansas has played the last of the really good mobile QBs that torment RS's defense the most. 

CBB had hinted the defense would be more aggressive and they were.  The down side is they might give up a home run or two that way but they are a little more likely to produce some 3 and outs and if the OL is making progress as they looked to be last night that might be a good tradeoff for the defense.

passinghog

Quote from: LRrazorback on October 16, 2016, 01:54:20 pm
This. CRS never does this enough in my opinion. But the linebackers came on multiple plays last night. Don't remember a corner or safety blitz all season

Should continue for the rest of the season, IMO. We don't have a quarterback left on the schedule that is experienced enough to make quick enough decisions pre and post snap to find their hot read and make us consistently pay for the blitz. Double A gap pressure is one of the hardest blitzes to slow down because it's a right up the middle, shortest route to QB.

rzrbackramsfan

He started blitzing more in the second half and the difference it made was huge. 

rzrbackramsfan

I'm a little mad the coaches couldn't figure out how much our defense would be by blitzing our linebackers sooner.  Maybe it took the emergence of some our secondary really being able to cover though.

Idk about you guys, but I feel Pretty alright leaving pulley and Collins out an island.

jcbville

If you look at CRS history he has done his best play calling and had his best results when he is mixing in creative blitzing. It seems to be a talent of his that has  not been utilized near enough.

Großer Kriegschwein

That's the most stunts and blitzes than I've seen in a long time from our defense. Definitely kept Kelley off balance.
This is my non-signature signature.

ballz2thewall

while we're patting ourselves on the defensive back

why in the hell, for the third year in a row, does it take half the season to figure out that pressuring the qb might help win a game?

i just don't get it. the win last night was great.

but how about those drives that ole miss took straight down the field unchallenged in the first half? hell, kelly coulda done his math homework at the same time because we were so passive.
The rest of the frog.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: ballz2thewall on October 16, 2016, 03:08:40 pm
while we're patting ourselves on the defensive back

why in the hell, for the third year in a row, does it take half the season to figure out that pressuring the qb might help win a game?

i just don't get it. the win last night was great.

but how about those drives that ole miss took straight down the field unchallenged in the first half? hell, kelly coulda done his math homework at the same time because we were so passive.

I don't think we're getting the pressure with the front 4 that they thought we would in the preseason. If we could, that would be best.
This is my non-signature signature.

LRrazorback

Quote from: Showtimehog on October 16, 2016, 02:34:09 pm
Should continue for the rest of the season, IMO. We don't have a quarterback left on the schedule that is experienced enough to make quick enough decisions pre and post snap to find their hot read and make us consistently pay for the blitz. Double A gap pressure is one of the hardest blitzes to slow down because it's a right up the middle, shortest route to QB.

Totally agree. Wish we could've seen a little more against hurts(freshman)

husker71

passinghog

A closer look at the effectiveness of the double A pressure look....

At the college level (Michigan State):

https://www.google.com/amp/www.theonlycolors.com/platform/amp/2012/8/21/3220614/better-know-a-blitz-package-double-a-gap?client=safari

At the pro level (Minnesota Vikings Mike Zimmer):

http://vikingsjournal.com/_/minnesota-vikings-news/minnesota-vikings/sugaring-the-a-gap—zimmers-pressure-du-jour-r92

I don't believe we should become a heavy blitz team, (25-35% on passing situations is fine) but there's no reason why we shouldn't use double A gap blitz as a staple of our defense. You can really dictate what type of protection an offense must use to protect against that pressure, which in turns eliminates some of the plays they can run out of a specific formation.

Dionysos25

He adjusted our opponent. We played less Alabama and more Ole Miss.
"Once again we've hit philosophical bedrock with the shovel of a stupid question."

B501

Honestly I feel like the coaches took some plays outta Bamas playbook one they saw the tape  :razorback:

elksnort

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 16, 2016, 01:56:24 pm
I agree very much.

Also, my answer to the original post is that our number 28 is the one who made the adjustment. Frankly, he played like crap against Bama. When he came out Making Good Hits and wrapping up and tackling last night I knew we had a good chance of winning the game