Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bielema 'guaranteed' Hogs won't see umpire again

Started by MrKnowItAll, October 11, 2016, 04:49:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MrKnowItAll

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2016/oct/10/bielema-guaranteed-hogs-wont-see-umpire-again/

Weihe was also the umpire in Arkansas' 2014 loss to Texas A&M, a game that turned when a Dan Skipper tripping penalty negated a big Jonathan Williams gain to the Aggies' 1-yard line with Arkansas leading 28-14 in the fourth quarter

DeltaBoy

Hope he can get the boy canned like LOU  did that SMU game Offical.  As far as that goes the SEC should have permantly canned the Curles Crew after the SEC Championship game vs Fla.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Potosihog

A little research shows this guy is a Sunbelt official trying to make it in the SEC.  Don't think this will help his chances.

PeabodyHawg

The issue with Curles Crew was during a regular season game in Gainesville not the SEC Championship game......but I agree with your sentiment.

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: Potosihog on October 11, 2016, 08:14:28 am
A little research shows this guy is a Sunbelt official trying to make it in the SEC.  Don't think this will help his chances.
That incompetent (dirty?) shouldn't even be in the Sunbelt.

ShadowHawg

Who cares? He didn't cost us the game. He just made a bad call. He didn't wait to see if we scored and threw the flag either. It was hardly a conspiracy and it takes away from the fact that CBB's defense let Bama march right down the field and score in less than two minutes following that play.

Give us the extra 4 pts and it's still 35-21 at the half.

Bad calls are part of all sports EVERY game. Get over it.

Hoggish1

Quote from: ShadowHawg on October 11, 2016, 11:53:42 am
Who cares? He didn't cost us the game. He just made a bad call. He didn't wait to see if we scored and threw the flag either. It was hardly a conspiracy and it takes away from the fact that CBB's defense let Bama march right down the field and score in less than two minutes following that play.

This shows your agenda. 

Four more points is good, not just OK.  It also gives the team a lift rather than being deflated with an obvious wrong call.

What else you got?

upperdeck_hawg

the dan skipper call was legit if you go by the book. the call on Wallace was just a bad call. I dont think the guy has it in him to cheat us out of a game. the simple flow of the game would tell you that bama didnt need officials to win that game.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on October 11, 2016, 01:09:35 pm
the dan skipper call was legit if you go by the book. the call on Wallace was just a bad call. I dont think the guy has it in him to cheat us out of a game. the simple flow of the game would tell you that bama didnt need officials to win that game.

It was way behind the play. Big price to pay, but refs were watching Skipper closely back then. Other teams had submitted clips of Skipper to the SEC office, during and after the 2013 season. That is why he got so many penalties called on him for a while. It went pretty extreme, to the point where they would call him when the opponent actually committed a flagrant foul.
[CENSORED]!

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Hoggish1 on October 11, 2016, 12:20:03 pm
This shows your agenda. 

Four more points is good, not just OK.  It also gives the team a lift rather than being deflated with an obvious wrong call.

What else you got?

Agenda? Are you serious? Do you believe that people posting on forums are empowered to accomplish movements other than bowel related?

Piggfoot

You are absolutely wrong about that. The results of every play affects the remaining plays and the momentum of the game.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

RazrRila99

YOu could see the displeasure in Drew Morgan's helmet drop.  He didnt even celebrate getting the touchdown.  Immediately after the play he just dropped his head as in disbelief. 

hogsanity

The thing is the umpire is supposed to be watching the center/guards for holding/illegal blocking. The 1st game I called at umpire, the referee told me he did not want to hear my whistle the whole night unless it was for one of those things, or someone did something stupid after the play.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Piggfoot on October 11, 2016, 01:53:37 pm
You are absolutely wrong about that. The results of every play affects the remaining plays and the momentum of the game.

Only if you are an emotional cripple. I recently heard some former players talking about this very subject on local radio. They said that when it happens early in a game it has zero effect on what you have to do moving forward.

I can't believe that you are trying to claim that was truly a huge deal after watching that game. It was a beat down. We got 5 first downs on penalties by the way.

It's a loser's mentality that looks to external factors for wins and losses.

Bad calls are part of the game. Get over it.

PorkRinds

Quote from: ShadowHawg on October 11, 2016, 02:21:56 pm
Only if you are an emotional cripple. I recently heard some former players talking about this very subject on local radio. They said that when it happens early in a game it has zero effect on what you have to do moving forward.

I can't believe that you are trying to claim that was truly a huge deal after watching that game. It was a beat down. We got 5 first downs on penalties by the way.

People griping and moaning about bad calls is part of the game. Get over it.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 11, 2016, 02:23:03 pm
People griping and moaning about bad calls is part of the game. Get over it.

Sorry but fans whining has never affected a game's outcome. It is part of fan based forums as are alternate views. Get over it.

Dropkick

October 11, 2016, 04:04:20 pm #16 Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 03:47:11 pm by Dropkick

nm

factchecker

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on October 11, 2016, 01:17:40 pm
It was way behind the play. Big price to pay, but refs were watching Skipper closely back then. Other teams had submitted clips of Skipper to the SEC office, during and after the 2013 season. That is why he got so many penalties called on him for a while. It went pretty extreme, to the point where they would call him when the opponent actually committed a flagrant foul.

1:23:10

and SURPRISE it's against Bama

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj579OXP2-g
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

al_pigcino

You and your former players are wrong. Momentum has a lot to do with athletics. When the "bats get hot" to a 10-0 run in basketball.

jvanhorn

Quote from: Piggfoot on October 11, 2016, 01:53:37 pm

I used to feel like that watching the Royals play baseball during the early part of this decade.  Then one night I just realized we were getting beat a lot because the other teams were better than we were.  I probably didn't see an umpire really affect the outcome of a game more than 3 or 4 times in 10 years.

hoglady

Nothing could have helped us win that game except massive improvement by the defense and adequate Oline play.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

King Kong

Quote from: hoglady on October 11, 2016, 05:18:30 pm
Nothing could have helped us win that game except massive improvement by the defense and adequate Oline play.

I think better ball security would have done it

MountieDawg

May he can guarantee we wont see Alabama and A&M again... That would be better.
SEC!

hoglady

Quote from: King Kong on October 11, 2016, 05:24:19 pm
I think better ball security would have done it

Many of the turnovers were caused by poor Oline play / I mean AA took a beating back there.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

tophawg19

one more thing . on the 100 yard interception return , AA is trying to make the tackle but is hit in the back and his foot was grabbed . that should have come back
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

GoHogs1091

It has got to the point that unless you get 1 of the 4 following SEC Officiating Crews, it is a real uncertainty regarding whether or not your game will be well officiated.

Ken Williamson Crew
James Carter Crew
Hubert Owens Crew
Matt Austin Crew

Pretty sad considering that the SEC is viewed as being a top-shelf football conference.

theFlyingHog

You don't even comprehend how what you wrote does nothing for this argument. There's a big difference in the emotion and "what you have to do moving forward". This was a big game and the team knew very well that they would need to have things go their way to have a chance and it quickly started to look like the officials weren't going to give us a chance. Tell me, what do you think about the 2009 game in Florida?

Atlhogfan1

You know now how wrong the umpire was for not only him being banned from our games but for Bielema not being reprimanded.  This is as wrong as the SEC office will ever admit being.  The flag on him for being on the field was technically legit. 

Just thought this crew were a bunch of -------- from the start of the game when the lead official chastised our players to come back and play after we picked up an obvious fumble that somehow the entire damn crew missed.  Just not a good night for the officials. 

Didn't cost us the game.  But 35-21 and some momentum maybe would have made it more competitive than it was.  That was deflating.  But so was the kick return fumble and then the scoop and score later on. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hogsanity

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 11, 2016, 11:58:40 pm
It has got to the point that unless you get 1 of the 4 following SEC Officiating Crews, it is a real uncertainty regarding whether or not your game will be well officiated.

Ken Williamson Crew
James Carter Crew
Hubert Owens Crew
Matt Austin Crew

Pretty sad considering that the SEC is viewed as being a top-shelf football conference.

There is a real problem finding experienced officials at just about every level of football.  And experienced does not always translate into being a good official, but it is a start.

Not as many people are gettign into officiating or at least sticking with it, and my guess is it is for 3 reasons:

As young officials, they get tired of dealing with jackass coaches who all think they are Nick Saban

They get tired of dealing with jackass fans at 2 bit hole in the road towns

The pay is not great, as with most jobs, starting out, and it is not worth it to them to travel 100+ miles on a Friday afternoon to call a game for what they get paid.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ricepig

UAfanatic

It's time that the officiating crews are full time and paid.

It's not like the SEC can't afford to have professional referree's that can't study full time to be
consistent across all crews.

I do not understand the antiquated love for having part time referrees

311Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on October 12, 2016, 08:42:00 am
There is a real problem finding experienced officials at just about every level of football.  And experienced does not always translate into being a good official, but it is a start.

Not as many people are gettign into officiating or at least sticking with it, and my guess is it is for 3 reasons:

As young officials, they get tired of dealing with jackass coaches who all think they are Nick Saban

They get tired of dealing with jackass fans at 2 bit hole in the road towns

The pay is not great, as with most jobs, starting out, and it is not worth it to them to travel 100+ miles on a Friday afternoon to call a game for what they get paid.

This and so much more.  Being a Ref sucks so much ass with little to no reward.

Biggus Piggus

Bielema looks like a dumbass for mouthing off like that. What made him think he could say something like that and get away with it?
[CENSORED]!

ricepig

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on October 12, 2016, 12:12:51 pm
Bielema looks like a dumbass for mouthing off like that. What made him think he could say something like that and get away with it?

Maybe he should get a HV account, he'd fit right in.......

311Hog

Quote from: ricepig on October 12, 2016, 12:15:08 pm
Maybe he should get a HV account, he'd fit right in.......

Heeeeyyyyyooo!  or how about fit right in with approx 50% of America right now.

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 12, 2016, 12:50:31 pm
Except they had turnovers as well.

This response doesn't even make sense. So? There are 10,000 examples of one team not having a TO in a game and the other team does.

hogsanity

Quote from: UAfanatic on October 12, 2016, 11:55:28 am
It's time that the officiating crews are full time and paid.

It's not like the SEC can't afford to have professional referree's that can't study full time to be
consistent across all crews.

I do not understand the antiquated love for having part time referrees

Do you have any idea what that would cost? I do not know what they pay for a SEC game, but in the MEAC, which is FCS level, they pay each official at least $2,000 + travel. How much would you have to pay a guy to quit his day job, giving up his pay + benefits, to be a full time official when the season is only 14 or so weeks long?

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 12, 2016, 08:24:58 am

Didn't cost us the game.  But 35-21 and some momentum maybe would have made it more competitive than it was.  That was deflating.  But so was the kick return fumble and then the scoop and score later on.

It was so deflating that we only outscored Bama 10-7 AFTER THE FREAKING CALL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can we please stop with the whining?

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

I thought I was about to see the first coach who actually won an argument against the refs.  Well, I guess not, just BB running his mouth.  Never seen a coach have an outright win against the refs.  I though the A&M game where we were called 3 of 4 plays in a row.  The fourth of those plays, they committed a foul that wasn't called so we are getting it poured on and it stopped us scoring.  I felt then as I do now that this was intentional to slow us down. 

But against BAMA, I am sure we got screwed a time or two but overall, I didn't see what I felt I saw in the A&M game.  Bama played so bad as opposed to their usual level of play, that I expected Saban to march on the field and pull off his belt a time or two.  We should be thankful that BAMA actually played a bad game as opposed to one of their stellar games where they are mostly mistake free.  At least we know what the rent a win teams feel like when a P5 team takes them apart.  That is how BAMA treats us.

ricepig

Quote from: 12247 on October 12, 2016, 03:33:39 pm
I thought I was about to see the first coach who actually won an argument against the refs.  Well, I guess not, just BB running his mouth.  Never seen a coach have an outright win against the refs.  I though the A&M game where we were called 3 of 4 plays in a row.  The fourth of those plays, they committed a foul that wasn't called so we are getting it poured on and it stopped us scoring.  I felt then as I do now that this was intentional to slow us down. 

But against BAMA, I am sure we got screwed a time or two but overall, I didn't see what I felt I saw in the A&M game.  Bama played so bad as opposed to their usual level of play, that I expected Saban to march on the field and pull off his belt a time or two.  We should be thankful that BAMA actually played a bad game as opposed to one of their stellar games where they are mostly mistake free.  At least we know what the rent a win teams feel like when a P5 team takes them apart.  That is how BAMA treats us.

Hmm....every announcer and prognosticators said they had played the best game all year, I guess it depends on one's objective.

rljjr

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on October 12, 2016, 12:12:51 pm

Really? He put pressure on the SEC. He's mouthing displeasure. SOMEBODY told him that and now the conference is hanging him out to dry. You're sophisticated enough to know how these things work.

Biggus Piggus

The only times Arkansas got even two penalties on a possession vs. aTm:

1. It was 7-0 Arkansas, and they had just missed a field goal. Sprinkle was called for a false start. We were called for holding on the next play, but it was declined.
2. We had been stopped at the 2. We tried to get a delay penalty, it was declined. Skipper intentionally jumped to back us up for better FG position.
3. Ramirez got an illegal block on our kickoff return. On first down, we were called for holding, which offset a personal foul on the Aggies.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: rljjr on October 12, 2016, 03:45:40 pm
Really? He put pressure on the SEC. He's mouthing displeasure. SOMEBODY told him that and now the conference is hanging him out to dry. You're sophisticated enough to know how these things work.

It is different than that. He wasn't supposed to go public with it, and now he has to backtrack because he did + they lit him on fire.
[CENSORED]!

rljjr

Perhaps not, but the point remains he stated a case very publicly. Apologizing doesn't hurt. The SEC still got its eye dotted for having a less than honest (or competent) officiating crew. If you remember earlier in the week before the game Bielema was complimentary of the crew. Well, you saw what that got us: a phantom holding call; a fumble they didn't want to call on the goal line. A third down stuff short of the goal line right as the time out was being called that the line judge called a TD; and a 15-yard unsportsmanlike against the coach that seemed unwarranted (although I have no idea what he said).

Coach is tired of his team being treated like a third-world nation. Doggone right he should talk about the officials. Why not? We know it didn't cause us the game so it's not a sour grapes. It's a reasonable discussion of how bad the officiating is in the SEC and the perception by more than a few people that certain teams get calls at critical times.

I realize bad calls and no calls are part of the game. People are human. But when it's almost as blatant as how Ole Miss gets 5 stars then you have to say something.

Your point is taken and I appreciate where it comes from. I'm happy to see the smoldering embers on this one.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: ricepig on October 12, 2016, 03:38:28 pm
Hmm....every announcer and prognosticators said they had played the best game all year, I guess it depends on one's objective.

So you think that a 3 TO performance where their own coach was angry about how poorly his secondary played was their best game all season? They did some things very well but it could hardly be described as a very good performance. They gave us 5 first downs on penalties as well. etc, etc

ShadowHawg

Quote from: rljjr on October 12, 2016, 03:45:40 pm

CBB has a consistent history of letting his mouth cause himself trouble. He needs to reign in his emotions some because that is really the root cause of his mouth problems and there is no way it doesn't cause at least a momentary loss of focus.

When he went public, he put the SEC officials in a defensive position. Of course they lashed back. It's what people do. CBB snatched defeat out of the jaws of victory on this one. Lesson learned, let's move on.

ricepig

Quote from: ShadowHawg on October 12, 2016, 04:01:25 pm
So you think that a 3 TO performance where their own coach was angry about how poorly his secondary played was their best game all season? They did some things very well but it could hardly be described as a very good performance. They gave us 5 first downs on penalties as well. etc, etc

I guess those guys don't watch enough football.