Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How Long?

Started by lamont7906, October 08, 2016, 09:30:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

OutlawHawg

Huge win against Ole Miss. No easy games left on the schedule hope we come ready to play every week.

I think we should beat Auburn but it's going to be tough with as talented their defense is.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: GuvHog on October 14, 2016, 01:34:36 pm
I agree that Bielema's first recruiting class at Arkansas was not as strong as BP's first class but the roster CBB inherited when he arrived on campus was much better than the roster Bobby Petrino inherited.

Arkansas returned seven offensive starters and four on defense in 2008. The offense had a senior starting QB, an all-conference center, D.J. Williams at tight end and juniors Lucas Miller and London Crawford at wide receiver. The only returning running back was Michael Smith, but he was effective in his role. Freshmen had to play at WR and RB.

The Oline had one anchor at tackle, Jose Valdez, while soph Ray Dominguez and redshirt frosh Grant Freeman had to handle the other side. Senior Mitch Petrus was good at one guard slot, with soph DeMarcus Love was the other starter.

The defense was a wreck much of the season, because a couple of seniors expected to carry the Dline instead checked out. They weren't even on the roster at the end. Lots of young players had to play, but most of the future starters were on the team.

In 2013, Arkansas had to start a new QB. The Hogs had lost their top two rushers. Returning backs had 65 carries in the previous season. The offensive line was similar to '08, returning an all-league center and a veteran LT but very green after that. After a few games, two freshmen moved into the lineup.

The massive difference was at WR, where very little talent returned, and the only incoming freshman pass-catcher was TE Hunter Henry. The Hogs in their limbo season had nothing lined up to address the WR needs, and the brief recruiting time Bielema had focused on other problems.

Arkansas had good players for the defensive front in 2013, better than '08. Chris Smith, Robert Thomas, Trey Flowers, Darius Philon to begin with. The linebackers - desperate situation. The secondary - it was bad. The only LB on the '13 roster who is playing today was Brooks Ellis, who started as a freshman. The only DB, Jared Collins, then a redshirt freshman.

The 2008 roster included a lot more future starters than the '13 roster did. No doubt. GuvHog's claim is refuted.
[CENSORED]!

jm

Very few programs average more than 7 or 8 regular season wins yearly. I am happy with that kind of average, but I don't ever want to be not bowl eligible  and I expect a great season with a championship caliber team to be fairly common.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: jm on October 17, 2016, 07:51:29 am
Very few programs average more than 7 or 8 regular season wins yearly. I am happy with that kind of average, but I don't ever want to be not bowl eligible  and I expect a great season with a championship caliber team to be fairly common.
This.  We should be able to compete for the SEC/NC every 2-3 years with down years being 8 wins.  That is not a bad spot to be in.

Dwillhog66

Quote from: JaketheSnake on October 17, 2016, 08:55:52 am
This.  We should be able to compete for the SEC/NC every 2-3 years with down years being 8 wins.  That is not a bad spot to be in.

I would imagine every hog fan would love to compete for a national title every 2/3 years, but IMO that is extremely unrealistic at this time.
We r not an elite program. There r only a handful of programs at that level.
If we r to ever get to that level it will take some time, patience, and good fortune.
I believe we can become a consistently great program but we have to become a consistently good program first. It sure looks like we r on the right path to that, to me at least, but again IMO we'll need to continue bowling which should increase our image to recruits. Recruiting is a big part of what we need and that isn't going to change in a 3 or 4 year timeframe.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on October 17, 2016, 07:47:46 am
Arkansas returned seven offensive starters and four on defense in 2008. The offense had a senior starting QB, an all-conference center, D.J. Williams at tight end and juniors Lucas Miller and London Crawford at wide receiver. The only returning running back was Michael Smith, but he was effective in his role. Freshmen had to play at WR and RB.

The Oline had one anchor at tackle, Jose Valdez, while soph Ray Dominguez and redshirt frosh Grant Freeman had to handle the other side. Senior Mitch Petrus was good at one guard slot, with soph DeMarcus Love was the other starter.

The defense was a wreck much of the season, because a couple of seniors expected to carry the Dline instead checked out. They weren't even on the roster at the end. Lots of young players had to play, but most of the future starters were on the team.

In 2013, Arkansas had to start a new QB. The Hogs had lost their top two rushers. Returning backs had 65 carries in the previous season. The offensive line was similar to '08, returning an all-league center and a veteran LT but very green after that. After a few games, two freshmen moved into the lineup.

The massive difference was at WR, where very little talent returned, and the only incoming freshman pass-catcher was TE Hunter Henry. The Hogs in their limbo season had nothing lined up to address the WR needs, and the brief recruiting time Bielema had focused on other problems.

Arkansas had good players for the defensive front in 2013, better than '08. Chris Smith, Robert Thomas, Trey Flowers, Darius Philon to begin with. The linebackers - desperate situation. The secondary - it was bad. The only LB on the '13 roster who is playing today was Brooks Ellis, who started as a freshman. The only DB, Jared Collins, then a redshirt freshman.

The 2008 roster included a lot more future starters than the '13 roster did. No doubt. GuvHog's claim is refuted.
Guv has never been a big fan of research or facts.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

onebadrubi

Quote from: justasportsfan on October 15, 2016, 11:39:06 am
I wonder about a lot of posters here.  I am NOT bashing CBB, he is a fine coach.  But, the proof is the 4 year record.  SEC is one animal, its tough, but even overall record.  Some horrid losses that shouldn't have happened in earlier seasons.  When does the leadership come into question?  It seems that many here are quite satisfied with 8 wins a season and any old bowl game.  Is that true?  Anywhere in the top 25?  If so, then pay the man what I think is outrageous wages for 'middle of the road'. 

The facts show issues that shouldn't be here in year 4.  Its a tough conference, the toughest.  Defensively we had trouble with cupcakes.  Offensive line, same.  We may have great running backs, who can tell?  All the issues can be found in this thread.  If 8 win average is good enough for the masses, lets sit back and call the hogs as is.  I doubt 8 win average will fill seats year after year.

Please list the horrid L's that shouldn't have happened? 

I'll get you started... Toledo.. now your turn, name all the others that support your argument.

311Hog

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 17, 2016, 01:11:34 pm

I'll get you started... Toledo.. now your turn, name all the others that support your argument.

And even that Toledo went on to win 11 games right?  i mean seriously were these people asleep for the Nutt years?

onebadrubi

Quote from: 311Hog on October 17, 2016, 01:26:00 pm
And even that Toledo went on to win 11 games right?  i mean seriously were these people asleep for the Nutt years?

No they are trolls.  That dude hasn't logged on since right before game time.  He won't be back until we lose another game, and it might be when we are at numbers 1's house next year, but count on it he and others just like him will be back. 

Jonteviosk

Quote from: OutlawHawg on October 17, 2016, 06:33:22 am
Huge win against Ole Miss. No easy games left on the schedule hope we come ready to play every week.

I think we should beat Auburn but it's going to be tough with as talented their defense is.

Your a moron...

Missouri sucks...Miss St sucks...LSU sucks
Auburn is ok but hardly unbeatable
Florida sucks on offense

To me that doesn't scream murderers row rest of the schedule...Weve played our hardest teams. If we win at Auburn I truly believe we win out. You should learn how to evaluate schedules.
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

Gonzo

JaketheSnake

Quote from: Dwillhog66 on October 17, 2016, 09:29:08 am
I would imagine every hog fan would love to compete for a national title every 2/3 years, but IMO that is extremely unrealistic at this time.
We r not an elite program. There r only a handful of programs at that level.
If we r to ever get to that level it will take some time, patience, and good fortune.
I believe we can become a consistently great program but we have to become a consistently good program first. It sure looks like we r on the right path to that, to me at least, but again IMO we'll need to continue bowling which should increase our image to recruits. Recruiting is a big part of what we need and that isn't going to change in a 3 or 4 year timeframe.
Im just saying the in the mix.  If we can at least be in theSEC/NC talk every 2/3 years (not making the playoffs) 5then that is a huge step for the program.  We should be able to be competitive for the SEC every few years tho.  Then, CBB could stay as lon as he wants.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Jonteviosk on October 18, 2016, 12:20:44 am
Your a moron...

Florida sucks on offense

To me that doesn't scream murderers row rest of the schedule...Weve played our hardest teams. If we win at Auburn I truly believe we win out. You should learn how to evaluate schedules.
Instant classic.  At least you did not misspell moron, you have that going for you.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Youngsta71701

If we can average 8 wins a year with your occasional 10, 11, or 12 win year and conference championship at some point or at least make it to the SEC championship game at some point then I'm cool with that. Now if your expecting us to beat Alabama year in and year out as long as Saban is there then we might as well fire Coach B now. Just sayin...
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

hogsanity

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on October 18, 2016, 07:59:28 am
If we can average 8 wins a year with your occasional 10, 11, or 12 win year and conference championship at some point or at least make it to the SEC championship game at some point then I'm cool with that. Now if your expecting us to beat Alabama year in and year out as long as Saban is there then we might as well fire Coach B now. Just sayin...

so, basically, he has to just do what all of the coaches we have had since joining the sec have done ( except Crowe ). Outside of winning the seccg, all of them either had 10+ win season(s) and/or went to the seccg.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

GuvHog

Quote from: Jonteviosk on October 18, 2016, 12:20:44 am
Your a moron...

Florida sucks on offense

You need to re-evaluate because you missed at least 2 of them. LSU, Though not as good as some of the LSU teams of the past, does NOT suck and Florida's defense is really good. Auburn is not as good as Ole Miss on offense but their defense is much better. I do consider the rest of the games winnable but it's not going to be as easy as you seem to think it will be.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hogsanity

Quote from: GuvHog on October 18, 2016, 08:23:25 am
You need to re-evaluate because you missed at least 2 of them. LSU, Though not as good as some of the LSU teams of the past, does NOT suck and Florida's defense is really good. Auburn is not as good as Ole Miss on offense but their defense is much better. I do consider the rest of the games winnable but it's not going to be as easy as you seem to think it will be.

all the remaining games are winnable, but none are really gimmees. I mean we just saw Vandy beat Ga, anything can happen in this league. Yes, the Hogs look to be better talented than MSU, and Mizzu. They look to be in a favorable matchup with LSU. FLA does not do the things on offense that gives the Hogs problems, but their defense is stingy. AUb is the wild card to me, on the road, coming off a bye, who knows what they have cooked up for this weekend.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogsanity on October 18, 2016, 08:19:28 am
so, basically, he has to just do what all of the coaches we have had since joining the sec have done ( except Crowe ). Outside of winning the seccg, all of them either had 10+ win season(s) and/or went to the seccg.
Are you expecting us to win 10 games every year?

Pork Twain

Quote from: hogsanity on October 18, 2016, 08:19:28 am
A little oversimplification, but yes.

hogsanity

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on October 18, 2016, 09:06:43 am
Are you expecting us to win 10 games every year?

not at all, I know what we are, and we are a 7-9 win a year program that will occasionally jump up to 10 or 11 and also have the occasional 4-6 win year. The point of my reply was that every coach we had had in the sec, except the 1st, has done exactly what the poster mentioned.

GuvHog

Quote from: hogsanity on October 18, 2016, 02:08:10 pm
not at all, I know what we are, and we are a 7-9 win a year program that will occasionally jump up to 10 or 11 and also have the occasional 4-6 win year. The point of my reply was that every coach we had had in the sec, except the 1st, has done exactly what the poster mentioned.

With a few very rare exceptions, Unless the Head coach is a bad recruiter or just an overall bad HC, the Hogs should not have 4-6 win seasons. 2013 was likely an exception to that rule as was 2008.

Hogsenburg

Quote from: GuvHog on October 18, 2016, 02:15:20 pm
With a few very rare exceptions, Unless the Head coach is a bad recruiter or just an overall bad HC, the Hogs should not have 4-6 win seasons. 2013 was likely an exception to that rule as was 2008.

I think Arkansas will always be subject to the occasional 4-5 win seasons. We do not grow as much D1 talent here as some of the other SEC schools which makes it harder on us to maintain consistency IMO

GuvHog

Quote from: Hogsenburg on October 18, 2016, 02:17:25 pm
I think Arkansas will always be subject to the occasional 4-5 win seasons. We do not grow as much D1 talent here as some of the other SEC schools which makes it harder on us to maintain consistency IMO

There are times when it's likely to happen due to coaching changes or like 2004 and 2005 when Frank's friendship with a booster got the U of A on probation and made recruiting worse than it already was. Other than those times, it shouldn't happen.

Youngsta71701

Oh ok, I gotcha now.

lamont7906

I myself believe Arkansas even with the lack of in state talent should consistently win 7-8 games a year. With that said I also believe Arkansas should win 10-11 games every three years or show. That outlook is basically based on how well you recruit and the maturation that should take place getting your high wins when you recruits should be at their peak level before you starting fresh because the over turn of senior players. How long question I guess I was wondering here at Arkansas would people be happy with 7-8 win 6 years straight without never getting to the high level wins of 10 or more.

Pork Twain

Which is exactly what you described and the reality of who we are.

justasportsfan

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 17, 2016, 01:11:34 pm

Im willing to admit a mistake, and here's mine.  I had the ULM loss in the wrong season, but I do class Rutgers as a horrid loss.  My bad.  I could list all those losses though the last 3 seasons that most all claim we should win, but too much judgment there.  My bad