Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Refs...

Started by ShadowHawg, January 20, 2018, 04:41:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowHawg

Inconsistent between halves.

Second half had zero flow while the first half was entertaining in terms of flow.

ParkerSchnabel

The anticipatory fouls are outrageous in the NCAA have been for years. Breathe on a guy on the fast break going in for a layup and its almost always an and one. Offensive rebounder goes back up and thats almost always a foul as well. The refs in the NCAA are LAZY LAZY LAZY. Its like they can't keep up with the more athletic teams. Half the times they are guessing on their calls.

I know its not an easy job to do. But there are far too many unqualified refs on the court these days.

King Kong

IMO they should go to 4 refs. 2 that stay on the baseline at all times

ParkerSchnabel

They were tackling Gafford while Macon was being fouled. That SHOULD have been an intentional foul at midcourt. But the dang refs are so incompetent that its maddening.

HiggiePiggy

Doesn't help when we are playing the 3 point shots when up by double digits instead of attacking the rim and drawing fouls.  Arkansas has that problem and I don't mind shooting a wide open 3, but continuously shooting 3s and missing allows a team to get back into a game.  Stop with the fineness play when leading and start attack attack attack.  Draw fouls and we will start winning big again.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

ShadowHawg

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on January 20, 2018, 05:12:37 pm
Doesn't help when we are playing the 3 point shots when up by double digits instead of attacking the rim and drawing fouls.  Arkansas has that problem and I don't mind shooting a wide open 3, but continuously shooting 3s and missing allows a team to get back into a game.  Stop with the fineness play when leading and start attack attack attack.  Draw fouls and we will start winning big again.

Foul disparity wasn't the issue. The issue is that the referees weren't consistent.

The second half of the game was officiated so much more tightly than the first it was ridiculous. Call it tight or let them play doesn't matter. The refs need to choose one and stick to it.

SemperHawg

It bothers me how much opposing defenders are getting to grab and hang all over Gafford. 

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 21, 2018, 12:07:11 am
Foul disparity wasn't the issue. The issue is that the referees weren't consistent.

The second half of the game was officiated so much more tightly than the first it was ridiculous. Call it tight or let them play doesn't matter. The refs need to choose one and stick to it.

If it is being called tight that is when it is better to be on the attack and drawing fouls. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

apcapri

Several times during the first half the announcers said (insert Arkansas player here) "fights through contact to make the basket" that contact should have been and 1's.

raz1965

I can say without bias that the Razorbacks did very well yesterday to overcome the non calls , as well as some calls period.

ParkerSchnabel

Officials are ruining the college game. I was watching the end of Miss St Bama last night. And on an inbound play Bama was clearly hacked. No call. They went to the screen to review possession. But it was clearly a foul. Miss St gets away with more fouls than any team in the SEC.

On the take ? Wouldn't surprise me. Mistake is as dirty as they come. Oh and if it had been Arkansas that would have been called 100 times out of 100.

TNarch

Quote from: ParkerSchnabel on January 21, 2018, 12:11:09 pm
Officials are ruining the college game. I was watching the end of Miss St Bama last night. And on an inbound play Bama was clearly hacked. No call. They went to the screen to review possession. But it was clearly a foul. Miss St gets away with more fouls than any team in the SEC.

On the take ? Wouldn't surprise me. Mistake is as dirty as they come. Oh and if it had been Arkansas that would have been called 100 times out of 100.
You are absolutely right gold man.  I can't hardly watch college basketball.  The inconsistency of officiating is so infuriating.  I watch sports to see a good contest between athletes...but all to often end up frustrated and angered by the officials.  Something needs to be done.

hogsanity

Quote from: TNarch on January 21, 2018, 01:15:33 pm
You are absolutely right gold man.  I can't hardly watch college basketball.  The inconsistency of officiating is so infuriating.  I watch sports to see a good contest between athletes...but all to often end up frustrated and angered by the officials.  Something needs to be done.

Well maybe all the people that think the refs are so bad should go do what needs to be done to start officiating themselves. IF there is a problem, be part of the solution.

Quote from: King Kong on January 20, 2018, 04:48:25 pm
IMO they should go to 4 refs. 2 that stay on the baseline at all times

I think they should go back to two, with three or more there are just that many more opinions on what is or is not a foul and more eyes to watch and cal stuff off the ball that was not having any impact on the play. With two, most of what gets called is at the point of attack, or on rebounds.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

EastexHawg

What game were y'all watching?  The Hogs didn't get screwed by the officials.  We reached in and stripped the ball all day and were almost never called for a foul.  Do you think those were all clean strips?  There were also a few times we came over the back for rebounds with no calls.  The officiating certainly didn't favor Ole Miss.

hogsanity

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 21, 2018, 10:56:31 pm
What game were y'all watching?  The Hogs didn't get screwed by the officials.  We reached in and stripped the ball all day and were almost never called for a foul.  Do you think those were all clean strips?  There were also a few times we came over the back for rebounds with no calls.  The officiating certainly didn't favor Ole Miss.

the want the Hogs to be able to slap hack a swat all day long with no calls, but if a hog gets breathed on they want a flagrant 2 called. They think it is inconsistent on the part of the refs when one half has flow and one does not. It never crosses their mind that maybe the teams or one team gets more aggressive and starts fouling more.

I watched the KY/FLA game last night, both teams that play sound FUNDAMENTAL D and in the 2nd half neither team reached the bonus until after the last tv time out with under 4 minutes left.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogginbama

Now come on guys, you know those guys who wear the stripped shirts are absolute perfectionists. They never make a mistake on either end of the floor. They are all fine, upstanding citizens who are models of perfection that we should all strive to be like.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on January 21, 2018, 10:02:09 am
If it is being called tight that is when it is better to be on the attack and drawing fouls.

No kidding.

Again, the thread is about being inconsistent during the game.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 21, 2018, 10:56:31 pm

I don't care about who is favored or who isn't. Just be consistent throughout an entire game.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on January 21, 2018, 10:34:22 pm
Well maybe all the people that think the refs are so bad should go do what needs to be done to start officiating themselves. IF there is a problem, be part of the solution.

I think they should go back to two, with three or more there are just that many more opinions on what is or is not a foul and more eyes to watch and cal stuff off the ball that was not having any impact on the play. With two, most of what gets called is at the point of attack, or on rebounds.

I think this is spot on. More refs equal more calls. I like the point of attack approach.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on January 21, 2018, 11:00:18 pm
the want the Hogs to be able to slap hack a swat all day long with no calls, but if a hog gets breathed on they want a flagrant 2 called. They think it is inconsistent on the part of the refs when one half has flow and one does not. It never crosses their mind that maybe the teams or one team gets more aggressive and starts fouling more.

I watched the KY/FLA game last night, both teams that play sound FUNDAMENTAL D and in the 2nd half neither team reached the bonus until after the last tv time out with under 4 minutes left.

I see hand checking all over the SEC. Florida and Ole Miss were doing it every possession during their game a week ago.

In a replay where a jump ball was called with Gafford, the Ole Miss big straight up two hand shoved Gafford which knocked him off balance and caused the jump ball.

Most of the calls against us were 30 ft from the basket or on break away layups. Not in double teams or trapping situations.

Rocket23

The officials tightened up in the second half and called it much closer because in the first half they tried to let them play, but they were getting chippy and not play basketball.  Ole Miss-Arkansas games are almost always ugly affairs.

hogsanity

Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 22, 2018, 10:18:31 am
I see hand checking all over the SEC. Florida and Ole Miss were doing it every possession during their game a week ago.

In a replay where a jump ball was called with Gafford, the Ole Miss big straight up two hand shoved Gafford which knocked him off balance and caused the jump ball.

Most of the calls against us were 30 ft from the basket or on break away layups. Not in double teams or trapping situations.

I said nothing about trapping. As for hand checking, you can put A hand on the ball handler as long as you remove pretty fast. You can not then retouch the same ball handler until he has given up possession and regained it. You can not put two hands on at once, or put one hand on, remove and then put the other hand on. At least that is how it was explained to us at clinic this year by a college official.

Most of the calls on the break away layups is because the Hogs are the worst fouling team I have ever seen in that situation, either foul the guy so he cant get a shot up or just let him go. What the Hogs try to do is reach or poke at the ball, and that is almost always going to draw a foul, and often leads to a and 1.

Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 22, 2018, 10:12:32 am
I think this is spot on. More refs equal more calls. I like the point of attack approach.

When we work 2 man, we still catch the egregious off ball stuff, but the little stuff that seems to get called in 3 man does not get called, and those are the fouls in college that often ramp up the foul count and the ft count.

Pigsfeat

Quote from: hogsanity on January 22, 2018, 11:05:21 am
When we work 2 man, we still catch the egregious off ball stuff, but the little stuff that seems to get called in 3 man does not get called, and those are the fouls in college that often ramp up the foul count and the ft count.
I agree with you on this one hogsanity. This seems to be what slows games down to a crawl.
"You don't eat mayonnaise to be healthy!"
E. Neal

Randohoggie

Most of the calls on the break away layups is because the Hogs are the worst fouling team I have ever seen in that situation, either foul the guy so he cant get a shot up or just let him go. What the Hogs try to do is reach or poke at the ball, and that is almost always going to draw a foul, and often leads to a and 1.

This I agree with.

Dropkick

I wish they would go to 2 man crews in Ark HS basketball. It would help with the shortage of good officials. Some of the guys calling need to be weeded out. I guess it would save the schools a bit of money too.

hogsanity

Quote from: Dropkick on January 22, 2018, 03:51:36 pm
I wish they would go to 2 man crews in Ark HS basketball. It would help with the shortage of good officials. Some of the guys calling need to be weeded out. I guess it would save the schools a bit of money too.

The coaches/schools were the ones that wanted 3 man crews. Many of the jrhs coaches want 3 man crews for 9th grade games too, but there just aren't enough refs to cover that, plus many districts won't pay for 3 man crews at the jrhs level.

I am not trying to equate calling a hs game to a college game in the way the game is played, but just from my personal experience i know the foul count is usually much lower in games we work 2 man compared to 3. Now, the level of play is different too, obviously we are 2 man on stuff like 8th and 9th grade or hs jv, but it is very common that we have games at all those levels where no one reaches the bonus the entire game. I did 2 jv games last Fri night, 6a/7a, and no one reached the bonus in either game. Again, not the same as a college game, but just a testament to the fact that a 2 man crew has to focus more on the ball and in the lane.

ShadowHawg

I said nothing about trapping. As for hand checking, you can put A hand on the ball handler as long as you remove pretty fast. You can not then retouch the same ball handler until he has given up possession and regained it. You can not put two hands on at once, or put one hand on, remove and then put the other hand on. At least that is how it was explained to us at clinic this year by a college official.

I know what Hans checking is. Changing the ball handlers direction is also hand checking. That's what they were doing.

Don't believe that Florida was playing fundamentally sound defense either. They are a terrible defensive team.