Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Real question regarding timeline

Started by Fay-hog, November 19, 2017, 09:07:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay-hog

I don't follow coaching hires and know very little about key dates for recruiting, and other factors.

Is there a realistic drop dead date for Coach B to be bought out of his contract?  Basically is there a date that if passes, most likely Coach B would be coaching next year?

hobhog

Coach B is not coaching next year. Search has informally started.

NuttinItUp

You will hear varying opinions from different people.

Basically, there are a few important dates:
November 24, 2017: Our last game of the year against Missouri
November 25, 2017: Iron Bowl -- Important because if Auburn wins, the chances of getting Gus Malzahn go way down
December 20, 2017: Early signing period -- Some people have claimed we need a coach in place by this date because of the recruiting/signing implications
January 1, 2018: Bielema's contract buyout drops dramatically on this date

Now, could we announce something after these dates into 2018? Possibly, but the later you wait, the less options you have as far as other coaches being available.

jgphillips3

It's over.  Unless he is close to a deal to take a new job and therefore reduce the buyout, he'll be fired sometime after the Missouri game and before Monday.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 19, 2017, 09:14:38 pm
It's over.  Unless he is close to a deal to take a new job and therefore reduce the buyout, he'll be fired sometime after the Missouri game and before Monday.

I still have my doubts about firing BB before January 1. There is just a huge financial incentive to wait until then.

Now, they might "announce" the firing before then. I am not sure if that is allowed or not.

longpig

Don't be scared, be smart.

Fay-hog

Those were my thoughts as well. I expect we would wait until Jan 1. But many people have quoted that dec 20 date as a date we must a coach in place.

jgphillips3

Quote from: NuttinItUp on November 19, 2017, 09:16:33 pm
I still have my doubts about firing BB before January 1. There is just a huge financial incentive to wait until then.

Now, they might "announce" the firing before then. I am not sure if that is allowed or not.

I don't think he will be "fired" and that's why I don't think it matters.  I think it will be either him (best case) resigning to take another job or getting the HDN Golden Handcuff treatment.

buldozer

They can hire Gus after the iron bowl and fire CBB on Jan 1 unless this is specifically addressed in his agreement. As long as we are rid of him I really could care less how or when they do it, but the new coach should get the opportunity to sign his kids on Dec 20

Hoggish1

Quote from: buldozer on November 19, 2017, 09:22:41 pm
They can hire Gus after the iron bowl and fire CBB on Jan 1 unless this is specifically addressed in his agreement. As long as we are rid of him I really could care less how or when they do it, but the new coach should get the opportunity to sign his kids on Dec 20

With a re-assignment, alluded to in your first sentence, a new hire could be made before BB is actually fired on Jan 1.

The most likely scenario is BB goes to Nebraska or back home to Illinois by taking the job in Urbana/Champaign.

Hogwarrior

You are living in the past!  BB will be fired after the Mizzou game.  His and his assistants payout is nothing in the CFB industry.  Teams do it every season.  Have you checked out SEC TV revenue alone per team?  Do that and you will stop worrying about a 100 million dollar industry in Fayetteville...

Pork Twain

November 19, 2017, 11:17:27 pm #12 Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 03:52:27 am by Pork Twain
Could CBB receive a termination with an effective date of 02 Jan and a new hire still be made in early Dec?  Seems like it is all about the timing but I have seen similar situations in my post-military contracting life.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

xxtomassxx1980

Quote from: Pork Twain on November 19, 2017, 11:17:27 pm
Could CBB receive a termination an effective date of 02 Jan and a new hire still be made in early Dec?  Seems like it is all about the timing but I have seen similar situations in my post-military contracting life.
Yes. Fire Enos and hire Gus as a replacement. Fire Bert Jan. 02 and promote Gus to head coach. Brilliant.

moses_007

Either our interim AD or Steinmetz will hand him his termination papers immediately after the Missouri game is concluded.

Gus will resign from Auburn the next morning after the Iron Bowl, regardless of how it turns out. 

Gus will be announced as Head Hog later in the afternoon on Sunday, November 26th.

DoctorSusscrofa

If we hired any coach on Dec1 and fire our old coach on Jan 1, we have 2 head coaches. I bet that's not allowed by the rules. I suppose you could get around that by dating the new contract Jan 1, but he wouldn't really be hired until then.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

moses_007

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on November 19, 2017, 11:22:17 pm
If we hired any coach on Dec1 and fire our old coach on Jan 1, we have 2 head coaches. I bet that's not allowed by the rules. I suppose you could get around that by dating the new contract Jan 1, but he wouldn't really be hired until then.
New coach couldn't recruit until Jan. 1 in that case. 

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Hogwarrior on November 19, 2017, 11:14:17 pm
You are living in the past!  BB will be fired after the Mizzou game.  His and his assistants payout is nothing in the CFB industry.  Teams do it every season.  Have you checked out SEC TV revenue alone per team?  Do that and you will stop worrying about a 100 million dollar industry in Fayetteville...

What in the world are you even talking about? Are you on drugs?

I was talking about the several million dollar savings by waiting until January 1 for the contract of Bret Bielema. It seemed prudent to me that the administration might want to save several million dollars by waiting a couple weeks to fire someone.

The "100 million industry in Fayetteville", "Teams do it every season", etc. that you are talking about is irrelevant.

moses_007

Quote from: NuttinItUp on November 19, 2017, 11:26:28 pm
What in the world are you even talking about? Are you on drugs?

I was talking about the several million dollar savings by waiting until January 1 for the contract of Bret Bielema. It seemed prudent to me that the administration might want to save several million dollars by waiting a couple weeks to fire someone.

The "100 million industry in Fayetteville", "Teams do it every season", etc. that you are talking about is irrelevant.
From a pure business standpoint, that is prudent, but I think they want rid of him ASAP just like Jeff Long.  Bielema must have a "no termination in the middle of the season" clause in his contract or he would have been gone the same day as Long.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: moses_007 on November 19, 2017, 11:30:02 pm
From a pure business standpoint, that is prudent, but I think they want rid of him ASAP just like Jeff Long.  Bielema must have a "no termination in the middle of the season" clause in his contract or he would have been gone the same day as Long.

If the BOT is even the least bit fiscally responsible, they will realize that the financial savings of waiting a month far outweighs any "good feelings" they get from firing BB at the end of the season.

moses_007

Quote from: NuttinItUp on November 19, 2017, 11:43:37 pm
If the BOT is even the least bit fiscally responsible, they will realize that the financial savings of waiting a month far outweighs any "good feelings" they get from firing BB at the end of the season.

Lord I really hope this doesn't happen, since we will be scared $hitless that he won't even be fired at all.  I don't think Hogville can live with waiting that long.  This place would blow up.

Do you suppose that they could just announce that he will be terminated, effective Jan. 1, and keep him on the payroll until then?

Ironhawg

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on November 19, 2017, 11:22:17 pm

What if Bielema is relieved of his duties and reassigned until Jan 1?  Would that create the vacancy?

moses_007

November 20, 2017, 12:02:45 am #22 Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 12:15:25 am by moses_007
Quote from: Ironhawg on November 19, 2017, 11:58:12 pm
What if Bielema is relieved of his duties and reassigned until Jan 1?  Would that create the vacancy?
That cannot happen since his contract states that he is head football coach until he is terminated.  They cannot just push him off into some other position for a month or so. 

This is the problem with contracts.  Ties you up for some contractural reason or another.

HogNTX

Quote from: NuttinItUp on November 19, 2017, 11:43:37 pm

How much is the savings? I've read his buyout is 5.9 million and not the 14 or so I'd heard before.

I can see waiting if it reduces significantly but significant in this ream would be in the 50% range from 5.9. I imagine that CBB and the UofA would both be best served with a quick goodbye rather than one that is stretched into next year. I'm sure this is being discussed as a negotiated buyout.

moses_007

Quote from: HogNTX on November 20, 2017, 12:15:20 am
I imagine that CBB and the UofA would both be best served with a quick goodbye rather than one that is stretched into next year. I'm sure this is being discussed as a negotiated buyout.
The buyout reduction isn't significant by waiting until the new year, and also, the buyout is not all due at once... it is payable over a 5 or 10 year period, and reduced or even eliminated when/if the terminated employee finds other employment.

Nipsey Mussle

You're entitled to have doubts. In this case, sometime between now and next Monday your doubts will be removed. 0.00% chance they wait until Jan 1.

Ironhawg

Quote from: moses_007 on November 20, 2017, 12:02:45 am
That cannot happen since his contract states that he is head football coach until he is terminated.  They cannot just push him off into some other position for a month or so. 

This is the problem with contracts.  Ties you up for some contractural reason or another.

Gotcha.  Thanks.

Spektre

There is another side to this coin not many are thinking about... it benefits Bielema to leave at season's end, too.

Here is why he'll be gone sooner rather than later: his next stop. He's not going to take a year off. He has something to prove I think. And to do that, he needs to get there as quick as possible to solidify recruits coming in and get a staff in place just like the next coach does coming here.

There will be a mutual agreement in place to meet somewhere in the middle for that extra buyout money between now and January 1. Regardless of what has happened at Arkansas and his lack of success, there are smaller schools that will be clamoring to bring him in.

moses_007

Quote from: What's Shakin' Macon on November 20, 2017, 12:25:56 am
You're entitled to have doubts. In this case, sometime between now and next Monday your doubts will be removed. 0.00% chance they wait until Jan 1.
I agree.  They want to drain the swamp as quickly as possible.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Ironhawg on November 19, 2017, 11:58:12 pm
That is a great question.  I wish I had thought of that...  ;)
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Athog

Quote from: hobhog on November 19, 2017, 09:12:28 pm
Coach B is not coaching next year. Search has informally started.

Source?? I agree but have not seen it with exception from Hogville.