Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas and the Spread Offense

Started by RockyMtnHog, November 19, 2017, 05:43:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RockyMtnHog

What Spread Offense would be the best fit at Arkansas?

I will sit back and listen.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

GoHogs1091

Clemson's passing game concepts.

Oklahoma's running game concepts.

Probably wouldn't be good to use Malzahn's Inverted Veer/Wing-T offense.

moses_007

I really don't see a lot of difference in the spread and what we're running.  Maybe more wide receivers out on the edge, but what other differences are there?  The offensive lines look the same.....

BigDeal

Recruit a good running 4 star quarterback that can run the option and has a long throwing arm. put in the wishbone and play smashmouth football. run the spread every 3rd down. that would be my philosophy if i were coach

TheEnemy

Quote from: moses_007 on November 19, 2017, 05:48:35 pm
I really don't see a lot of difference in the spread and what we're running. 

For one, no more QB under center I formation play action plays on 3rd and long.

RockyMtnHog

Quote from: BigDeal on November 19, 2017, 05:53:23 pm
Recruit a good running 4 star quarterback that can run the option and has a long throwing arm. put in the wishbone and play smashmouth football. run the spread every 3rd down. that would be my philosophy if i were coach

The really good spread teams have a dual threat QB.  Arkansas may be running a form of spread offense but we lack the QB.  CK may be that QB in the future in the right offense.

Arkansas needs to get back to being an explosive offense, right now we are a dud.

RedRazorHog

I'm thinking that Duwop would have been great with Malzahn
"I've found that prayers work best when you have Big Players"

--Knute Rockne

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: RedRazorHog on November 19, 2017, 06:03:23 pm
I'm thinking that Duwop would have been great with Malzahn

What kind of passer was he?
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

onebadrubi

Balance!!!  The best teams no matter what play "ahead of the chains", can get the 3rd and 4th and shorts, can line up in towline with an extra TE and defense has no idea if run or pass. Spread or not, if you can't run the ball to finish off games you're useless.

RockyMtnHog

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 19, 2017, 06:07:21 pm
Balance!!!  The best teams no matter what play "ahead of the chains", can get the 3rd and 4th and shorts, can line up in towline with an extra TE and defense has no idea if run or pass. Spread or not, if you can't run the ball to finish off games you're useless.

OK, there was a time just a few years ago that Arkansas could pound the ball to close out a win.  The LSU game just a few years ago was a masterpiece in pound it and pound it.

What happened to that because that is when we lost our identify as ground and pound offense?

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: RockyMtnHog on November 19, 2017, 06:21:48 pm
OK, there was a time just a few years ago that Arkansas could pound the ball to close out a win.  The LSU game just a few years ago was a masterpiece in pound it and pound it.

What happened to that because that is when we lost our identify as ground and pound offense?

We hired Enos.  We transitioned to smaller, more athletic linemen more suited for the spread.  Ironically, we seemingly never committed to the spread.  We tried to ground and pound, or were at least some hybrid, but didn't have the linemen to do ground and pound. 

I'm probably way off, though.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

RockyMtnHog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 19, 2017, 06:26:37 pm
We hired Enos.  We transitioned to smaller, more athletic linemen more suited for the spread.  Ironically, we seemingly never committed to the spread.  We tried to ground and pound, or were at least some hybrid, but didn't have the linemen to do ground and pound. 

I'm probably way off, though.

OK, people are going to bash me but when Chaney left, there went our ground and pound identity.  Our OL has not been the same since.  Is that fair to say.

trok24

its real simple.. when you have to move a DL to the starting offensive line plus a couple walkons after Kirkland,Tretola et all leave and our highest rated recruits (Wallace, Merrick, Heinrich) dont see the field or have trouble getting on the field then ...U HAVE SERIOUS PROBLEMS!  I knew we were in serious trouble when Ty Clary out of know where starts game 1...Id like to know the issues in the the linemens room someday... ???

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: RockyMtnHog on November 19, 2017, 06:38:46 pm
OK, people are going to bash me but when Chaney left, there went our ground and pound identity.  Our OL has not been the same since.  Is that fair to say.

Yes, he left because his philosophy didn't jive with Enos.  And I really don't remember us ever truly being a ground and pound team even with Pitman.  We've always needed to pass to set up the run.  It's never been vice versa that I can recall.

MissippHog

I may be way off here, but IMO, our offense seems to be more of a hybrid pro-style offense whereas a true spread team will use a smaller, faster WR type at H back, we use  a TE. 

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: trok24 on November 19, 2017, 06:42:30 pm
its real simple.. when you have to move a DL to the starting offensive line plus a couple walkons after Kirkland,Tretola et all leave and our highest rated recruits (Wallace, Merrick, Heinrich) dont see the field or have trouble getting on the field then ...U HAVE SERIOUS PROBLEMS!  I knew we were in serious trouble when Ty Clary out of know where starts game 1...Id like to know the issues in the the linemens room someday... ???

Froholt was the first, obvious red flag.

The linemen on the bench are talented, but were recruited for a different system (Wallace and Merrick).

trok24

LORDY BE, system or no system... anything has to be better than what we have endured this year... me, you and 3 rolly pollies could get AA killed...

Hogimus Prime

Need a good OLine first. A good dual threat QB and some speed sprinkled through out the WRs and RBs, but then again any offense will work if you use your players right.

ChicoHog

You can get away with a mediocre line if you play Texas Tech, throw 60 times a game, type football.  I hate that style.  You need a very good line if you play Auburn power zone read type football.  I much prefer that but we need the men up front to make it happen plus a true dual threat QB who can run as well or better than he can pass.  I would love a Brandon Winbush, Kelly Bryant, Jalen Hurts or even Nick Fitzgerald type QB.  I can live with a mediocre passer if he can run well and make good decisions. 

ipigsooie

Quote from: ChicoHog on November 19, 2017, 06:58:49 pm
You can get away with a mediocre line if you play Texas Tech, throw 60 times a game, type football.  I hate that style.  You need a very good line if you play Auburn power zone read type football.  I much prefer that but we need the men up front to make it happen plus a true dual threat QB who can run as well or better than he can pass.  I would love a Brandon Winbush, Kelly Bryant, Jalen Hurts or even Nick Fitzgerald type QB.  I can live with a mediocre passer if he can run well and make good decisions.

And you better hope one transfers here because you know gus isn't going to develop one.

mutt

lakecityhog

I want an offense that understands that you can run effectively by spreading the field. I think BP called his O a "power spread" and it used principals from the Pro Sets and the Spread.

I want a QB that can operate from the shotgun/pistol and under center equally well. You can the sneak from under center, pass from under center and run the ball from under center, but it is impossible to run the sneak from the gun! I think that you can run some play action from the gun/pistol without losing time dropping back.

Until we can develop a solid O'Line I want an O that moves the pocket, an O that uses the "hot" receiver and runs several QUICK passes to help combat the pass rush. I want an O that allows the QB to read the D pre-snap and have a good idea of the open route before the play even starts.

texas tush hog

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on November 19, 2017, 06:53:29 pm
Need a good OLine first. A good dual threat QB and some speed sprinkled through out the WRs and RBs, but then again any offense will work if you use your players right.

We have  2 dual threat QB's in high school in Arkansas right now. Conner Noland is a pass/run QB and Gerry Bohannon is a run/pass type. Both equally dangerous in Gus' system. Would still rather have Norvell.

I want a coach that can recruit to the needs of the program even if he is handicapped in the highest level talent not coming here.  I want the coach to spread the field so our 2 or 3 difference makers can be gotten loose to make a difference.  i want a coach who can get the attention of the troops and have them mentally ready to go play.  I want a coach that can make reasonable decisions during the game and make half time adjustments.  I want a coach who realizes he has a second and third level of players and to have some of them ready to play, not just th starters.  I want a coach that will get in the faces of slacking assistants and assure that they perform their duties of fire their rears.  I want a coach that the chosen assistants want to work for.  And don't forget, Rice and Benny, they must have fire in their bellies and refuse to be denied.

And I don't care what his name is or what formation he chooses.  I don't care if he chooses to run 65 QB sneaks per game if we win, but if we don't he better be able to change his thinking and run something that does work.

onebadrubi

Quote from: RockyMtnHog on November 19, 2017, 06:38:46 pm

Chaney left because his play calling with our talent was not getting done.  Notice in the east he's been able to compete with top football talent, but he ran into a buzzsaw when he met a good defense. 

My thoughts, Enos came, enos, Pittman, and Bielema couldn't come to terms on working together.  We saw an abysmal o line recruit effort gap happen, now we have an oline coach who isn't getting it done and for whatever reason the aforementioned group of theee guys currently on staff playing guys that are questionable (ex. Fro goes down against lsu and we send in clary while merrick and other on the bench).   

I think we have three guys (OC, HC, o line coach) all going in different directions for the last two years

IronHog

Quote from: moses_007 on November 19, 2017, 05:48:35 pm
I really don't see a lot of difference in the spread and what we're running.  Maybe more wide receivers out on the edge, but what other differences are there?  The offensive lines look the same.....

What?

Arkansas runs tons of bunch sets, 7-9 step drop from under center stuff.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

CareBear

Quote from: lakecityhog on November 19, 2017, 07:36:41 pm
I want an offense that understands that you can run effectively by spreading the field. I think BP called his O a "power spread" and it used principals from the Pro Sets and the Spread.

I want a QB that can operate from the shotgun/pistol and under center equally well. You can the sneak from under center, pass from under center and run the ball from under center, but it is impossible to run the sneak from the gun! I think that you can run some play action from the gun/pistol without losing time dropping back.

Until we can develop a solid O'Line I want an O that moves the pocket, an O that uses the "hot" receiver and runs several QUICK passes to help combat the pass rush. I want an O that allows the QB to read the D pre-snap and have a good idea of the open route before the play even starts.
Bingo!
We heard all this propaganda regardless CBB was bringing this power run game here & we would wear teams out & play ball control offense. Didn't happen. I agree that it is possible to have a power run game or at least a very stout run game whilist spreading things out. Bobby Petrino used to say throw to take the lead, then run to win. Gus showed us when he unveiled the wildcat(wildhog) that adding a man in jet sweep motion gives a legitimate running, passing, & receiving threat & forces the defense to cover more real estate. To think more before the play. Bert seemed to not understand that concept. Look at the way he would bring in TJ Hammonds for a few plays & give him the ball on each of the 3 reps that he was in. Obviously the defense knows via the miracle of modern technology that TJ is explosive & they knew that Bert was on a Pop Warner level of coaching acumen in that regard. The next guy may not be able world beater. Personally I just want to see some intelligent football. I think Razorback fans have proven to be patient & very loyal. All the #uncommon malarkey was just smoke & mirrors to deflect from the shocking  reality that CBB was completely inept & in over his head. There were red flags abound from day 1. All hat, no cattle!
#goodtimesaroundthebend #WPS