Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

9 plus wins

Started by parallaxpig, July 19, 2017, 07:44:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

parallaxpig

Do you think 9 or more wins are doable if the defense at least becomes an average
SEC defense? I think it's possible.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

JIHawg

Have we recruited some speed on defense the last 2-3 years?  If so, then it's possible to have an ok defense.

nwahogfan1

CBB has had 4 pretty good  recruiting classes ranked in the 20 to 35 area with a 5th year senior QB starter and most of our OL back.  We have a proven DC and teacher who is putting more speed on the field. 

Sure we have a great chance to win 9 or more games. But the SEC is brutal where the worst team can beat you like Missouri if your head is not right.  Winning is a habit and a mindset. Has to be taught but our players have to buy in.  We need great player leadership on this team especially in those close 50\50 games and all road games. 

secneahog

7 linebackers in the past two years.  Agim. Watts. Bijohn. Crazy depth at db.

Yes yes yes.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

GoHogzzGo

No chance especially without RW3. First year of new defense and no signs of major Oline improvement.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

secneahog

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on July 19, 2017, 08:05:08 am
CBB has had 4 pretty good  recruiting classes ranked in the 20 to 35 area with a 5th year senior QB starter and most of our OL back.  We have a proven DC and teacher who is putting more speed on the field. 

Sure we have a great chance to win 9 or more games. But the SEC is brutal where the worst team can beat you like Missouri if your head is not right.  Winning is a habit and a mindset. Has to be taught but our players have to buy in.  We need great player leadership on this team especially in those close 50\50 games and all road games.

True, good sign is we've elected our leaders earlier then we've ever done.  Which is a great sign.   No one has missed our been late for workouts.  Which is a really great sign.  Means our leadership, mindset is on point. Add in, how we finished last year and we're poised to break out this year. 
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

secneahog

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on July 19, 2017, 08:06:16 am
No chance especially without RW3. First year of new defense and no signs of major Oline improvement.

Devwah averaged more yards per rush then rw3.    Devwah is a superstar in waiting.

Duh no signs of oline improvement because we haven't played a game yet.  What a joke of a statement. 

GoHogzzGo

Quote from: secneahog on July 19, 2017, 08:09:34 am
Devwah averaged more yards per rush then rw3.    Devwah is a superstar in waiting.

Duh no signs of oline improvement because we haven't played a game yet.  What a joke of a statement.

Easy hoss. Vegas doesn't think we make it either and I hear they do pretty well.

We run a 2 to 3 RB system and just lost the leading SEC rusher, you cannot make that a positive. Regardless of how good Whaley is.

We still lack quality depth at Oline, and have mostly the same players who had issues last year starting. Ragnow is the only bright spot by far.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on July 19, 2017, 08:18:41 am
Easy hoss. Vegas doesn't think we make it either and I hear they do pretty well.

Vegas only picks a starting number to get equal betting and your right they are good at it. 

We run a 2 to 3 RB system and just lost the leading SEC rusher, you cannot make that a positive. Regardless of how good Whaley is.

Whaley is a stud plus we have a serviceable Dr RB from USCe coming in. Should be OK there. 

Defense has to improve. Agree that  OL has to improve to reach 8 wins.  So I see lots of its. 

We still lack quality depth at Oline, and have mostly the same players who had issues last year starting. Ragnow is the only bright spot by far.

I go back and forth between 6 wins and 8 wins so Vegas did good.  I don't bet but I hope it is 8.

MuskogeeHogFan

July 19, 2017, 08:43:54 am #9 Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 09:07:27 am by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: secneahog on July 19, 2017, 08:09:34 am

First, Devwah averaged 5.47 YPC and RWIII averaged 5.55. Not much difference, both good. For perspective, in Collins last year he averaged 5.82 YPC while RWIII averaged 4.54 YPC. In J-Will's last year that he played he averaged 5.64 YPC and Collins was at 5.39 YPC. So we are in good shape.

RB's this year: Whaley, Maleek Williams (according to the staff he has learned the system and blocking better than anyone they have had), Hammonds, Dave Williams (from S. Carolina), Chase Hayden. That's 5 RB's and then there are 2 Freshmen DB's that were pretty good RB's in High School that we could pull over for rep's if we needed emergency depth. Losing RWIII hurts, I'd love to have him this year, but it isn't the end of the world. Whaley will be the next 1,000+ yard rusher and don't sleep on Maleek Williams either. I think he is going to be better than anyone expects.

As far as talented depth goes, who have we had to back up our first two RB's the last three years? The often injured Kody Walker? Juan Day? Denzell Evans? Damon Mitchell? I like what we have in terms of talented depth at RB better this year than either of the previous two years.
Go Hogs Go!

hawgon

Quote from: parallaxpig on July 19, 2017, 07:44:57 am
Do you think 9 or more wins are doable if the defense at least becomes an average
SEC defense? I think it's possible.

Offense is still the key.  There can't be any drop off at all this year.  How many teams in the SEC win 9 games with average SEC defenses and not great offenses?  None lately.

You have to outscore people whether you have a pretty good defense or not.  Defense could be significantly improved but if the offensive production falls off any, we'll get worse results. 

younghog

yes.. with this being all of CBB player and his UNCOMMON mantra.. I expect 9 wins..

On paper they got the horses, mentally are they ready..

GO HOGS
GO HOGS

razorbackfaninar

We almost had 9 wins last year with spotty o-line play a new quarterback and porous defense, so yeah I think 9 wins is entirely possible

go hogues

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on July 19, 2017, 09:05:44 am
We almost had 9 wins last year with spotty o-line play a new quarterback and porous defense, so yeah I think 9 wins is entirely possible
But look at our road schedule this year compared to last year.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

goodguytex

We can win 9 games. I don't know if we will or not. Depends on defense, Oline play, running game, and how well our receivers do.

PORKULATOR

We finally have depth at DB and Lb and now we need it on the D line again. If there are some hidden gems on the dline, then 9 is doable.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

parallaxpig

I agree Vegas knows what their doing. With that said Vegas sets lines to get people to bet both sides and perception is from last two games of 2016 we will be bad.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

3kgthog

No chance. These Bielema Hogs have never done the little things Arkansas must have to win swing games. See penalties, special teams, and being able to get crucial short yardage.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on July 19, 2017, 08:06:16 am
and no signs of major Oline improvement.

Um... no signs at all. There are no signs that they have not improved.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

GoHogzzGo

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on July 19, 2017, 10:46:13 am
Um... no signs at all. There are no signs that they have not improved.

Sheesh both you guys. I said no signs of MAJOR Oline improvement, which is what we need.

I'll be holding English classes in Tavern starting at Noon. Goodness sakes lol.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on July 19, 2017, 11:03:46 am
Sheesh both you guys. I said no signs of MAJOR Oline improvement, which is what we need.

My statement is unaffected by your modifier, feel free to cancel class.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on July 19, 2017, 11:03:46 am

What would define as being signs of "Major O-Line improvement"? How would you measure that? Naturally we don't know at this point, not having played a game.
Go Hogs Go!

East TN HAWG

I really believe we had some liabilities on defense with the coaching staff.  I don't know yet if Walker and Scott are improvements as position coaches, but I really believe there was a major improvement with Rhoads.  I think Rhoads will make at least a 3 point difference this season with scheme alone. 

Our offense was good last year, and I expect them to equal or slightly better with Allen behind center. 

GoHogzzGo

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 19, 2017, 11:06:43 am
What would define as being signs of "Major O-Line improvement"? How would you measure that? Naturally we don't know at this point, not having played a game.

Personally? I measure with a yard stick  ;)

Seriously though I see your point.

What I saw toward the end of the year was a slight improvement, and the off season has not impressed me either.

My thought is we lost Skipper, everyone else after Ragnow has not impressed. The depth is not super talented, so until something proves otherwise I see another woeful performance by the line.  Hope I'm wrong. Will see what live bullets show us.

GoHogzzGo

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on July 19, 2017, 11:05:39 am
My statement is unaffected by your modifier, feel free to cancel class.

Haha, done.

lstewart

I am generally going to always predict a 7-5 regular season given our current situation and annual schedule. That is subject to a 1 game swing either way. So 8-4 would not be a surprise. Throw is a bowl win, and that gets us to 9-4. So it is possible, but probably on the high end of what is reasonable at this point. Anything better than that is going to take a very unusual year. I would probably place my bet on 8-5 after a bowl game this year, with 7-6 being my second pick. I would say 9-4 and 6-7 are about equally possible.

parallaxpig

Let's hope this year coaching staff adapts blocking scheme to match personal 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on July 19, 2017, 11:14:11 am
Personally? I measure with a yard stick  ;)

Seriously though I see your point.

What I saw toward the end of the year was a slight improvement, and the off season has not impressed me either.

My thought is we lost Skipper, everyone else after Ragnow has not impressed. The depth is not super talented, so until something proves otherwise I see another woeful performance by the line.  Hope I'm wrong. Will see what live bullets show us.

Well again, that is a lot of personal evaluation of the O-Line with little foundation for that evaluation. You are right in one thing, we will know more after the TCU game when we have a worthy opponent and everything goes live. And that isn't the only question to be answered. But we will know more after TCU. Personally, based on conversations I have had with people who do have more information on a daily basis, I'll be surprised if the O-Line isn't vastly improved.
Go Hogs Go!

East TN HAWG

We won't know until the season start.  I would measure OL play by the negative plays (sacks and plays behind LOS) allowed YOY.  I realize that better RB play and QB play could affect sack totals. 

DeltaBoy

Quote from: 3kgthog on July 19, 2017, 10:36:48 am
No chance. These Bielema Hogs have never done the little things Arkansas must have to win swing games. See penalties, special teams, and being able to get crucial short yardage.

I  agree unless the  staff and.team do better we are toast.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

KlubhouseKonnected

I agree that offensive line is a known unknown. I think we are all know Ragnow is solid at center. I think we are all confident that the guards will at least be moderately improved after being seasoned last year and having another offseason in the books at those positions. I think we are all hopeful that Wallace can produce adequate results at RT. At left tackle however, we are pretty much completely left in the dark if not inclined to a glass half empty feeling. Colton Hackson played RT (at times) last year with, at best, mixed results (hence the prior "at times").  That he is now being relied on to hold down the most challenging offensive line position for us this year is, at least to me, the biggest concern on offense this season.

Jackson is a better athlete than Skipper but has not yet shown himself ready to consistently perform at an SEC level of play.

Al Boarland

It would take a positive answer to all the questions marks facing this team and for CBB not to drop any head-scratching games.

Realistically, will every question mark have a positive answer? Doubtful. Will CBB not lose any head-scratchers? No data point to suggest that will happen.

However, 9 is possible with a bowl game win. I can't look at this schedule and find 9 wins in the regular season.

Opinion subject to change after the season starts.

KlubhouseKonnected

Personally I doubt 9 wins but I don't think it's improbable.

GuvHog

Quote from: go hogues on July 19, 2017, 09:35:49 am

The schedule as a whole, is more favorable for the Hogs this year.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hogfanfish

If the D stays the same and the O doesn't turn the ball over in the second half of games we win 9 last year, and will this year. The key to improving the win loss total may not be the D but rather the O-Line.

rhames

Would love 9 wins.

I still think we lose 4 (lsu, auburn, bama ole miss or SC)

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

razorbackfaninar

I think it is better this year from an overall wins potential.  Last year we had games that we have a high percentage to lose, Alabama and LSU, at home.  Even at home we were at a disadvantage against them last year.  So we had two home games that we probably weren't going to win and home field advantage was really no help to us.  Now this year we have Bama and LSU away, and with the exception of Auburn who may be tough, most of our home games this year are manageable at least.

Seebs

8 including the bowl game.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on July 19, 2017, 01:14:29 pm
I think it is better this year from an overall wins potential.  Last year we had games that we have a high percentage to lose, Alabama and LSU, at home.  Even at home we were at a disadvantage against them last year.  So we had two home games that we probably weren't going to win and home field advantage was really no help to us.  Now this year we have Bama and LSU away, and with the exception of Auburn who may be tough, most of our home games this year are manageable at least.

That would is how I feel. I remember last year hearing people discuss our schedule and reference having the toughest games at home as being a good thing. I remember explaining that is great if you are an extreme optimist but if you want the safest route to a winning season you would rather have the easier matchups at home.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on July 19, 2017, 01:14:29 pm

That being said I am glad we did not play Florida @Gainesville. That place sucks for us.

parallaxpig

Quote from: rhames on July 19, 2017, 01:11:55 pm
Would love 9 wins.

I still think we lose 4 (lsu, auburn, bama ole miss or SC)

I think Alabama only sure fire loss. The rest of league has a variable(new coach, new QB, cheating scandal etc) that gives us a chance 

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

bennyl08

Much more favorable.

Auburn, Mizz, MSU, and TCU at home this year vs on the road last year? Huge improvement in our schedule.

Getting SC to replace Fla, even though the game is one the road? Huge improvement in easiness of schedule.

Bama and LSU on the road vs at home? Virtually zero impact on our schedule.

OM on the road this year vs at home last year is the only significant downside the home vs road schedule this year vs last.

Going a bit deeper, the early bye week this year is definitely a negative compared to last year. However, last year, I think we faced 3 teams coming off of byes before they played us while this year, no team gets a bye the week before they play us.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

PLHawg

I think 9 wins (including a bowl game) is definitely possible.  On one hand my concern is adjusting to a new defense, but then again I think how much porous could this years defense be than last years?  I don't think it could possibly be any worse, honestly.  My main concern is the O line protecting Austin - he cannot take that kind of beating again this year.  The whole season hinges on keeping AA healthy (DUH!).  Seriously, that could be the difference between 9-5 and 5-9.  If we have to depend on the 2nd string qb, whoever that may be, we're screwed.

Bacons Rebellion

Of course 9 wins is doable. We won seven last year and could have won against A&M, Missouri and Virginia Tech.

5 or 6 wins is also a possibility. It's the SEC and every conference game is losable. We only won seven last year and TCU gave us the game. Florida could have beaten us on a different weekend.

bennyl08

9-3 is what I expect this team to accomplish barring any major surprises (such as an expected victory having a heisman finalist at qb, significant injuries to our team, etc...).

This team should have finished last year with 9 wins. By all accounts, our offense should be drastically improved from what was already a very good unit last year. If we are fighting to have as good an offense as we did last year, then that means Anderson will definitely be fired mid-season and even Enos' job wouldn't be safe as the offense that returns virtually everybody regressed.

The real lynchpin will be the defense. How well do we transition to the 3-4? Do we make modest improvements? I am skeptical of the scheme change. However, looking at our returning talent, regardless of scheme our coach, we should see improvement in the defense.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

presidenthog

Al Boarland

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on July 19, 2017, 02:03:04 pm
I remember last year hearing people discuss our schedule and reference having the toughest games at home as being a good thing.

This all day long. Now it's better to have high probability losses on the road. Funny how that works.

hogcard1964

Yes, it's possible, but it will not happen.

Al Boarland

Quote from: bennyl08 on July 19, 2017, 02:49:07 pm
9-3 is what I expect this team to accomplish barring any major surprises (such as an expected victory having a heisman finalist at qb, significant injuries to our team, etc...).

This team should have finished last year with 9 wins. By all accounts, our offense should be drastically improved from what was already a very good unit last year. If we are fighting to have as good an offense as we did last year, then that means Anderson will definitely be fired mid-season and even Enos' job wouldn't be safe as the offense that returns virtually everybody regressed.

The real lynchpin will be the defense. How well do we transition to the 3-4? Do we make modest improvements? I am skeptical of the scheme change. However, looking at our returning talent, regardless of scheme our coach, we should see improvement in the defense.

Drastically improved is hyperbolic. What you can hope for is better protection for AA and fewer turnovers.

Anderson will not be fired mid-season. CBB, the former DC, allowed the defense to get shredded all season and stood by and watched. He could have terminated Smith and promoted CPR who runs a 4-3.

I can agree on Anderson after the season, but CBB will be under some pressure going into 2018. Replacing Enos seems far fetched and riskier than switching defensive schemes.

The revolving door of assistant coaches doesn't do anything to help the program.