Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New UA Dorms to be built of timber

Started by HawgWild, October 23, 2017, 10:12:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgWild

Article on the front page of today's paper. Cost saving approach I thought. No, it'll actually cost $1.3 million more than using steel.

Arkansas timber industry promotion? No, the cross laminated timber beams will be made over seas.

"But no Arkansas wood will be used in the main structural components following a competitive bid process managed by contractor Nabholz, Clairmont said. The low bidder at about $5.3 million was a firm called Holzpak, Clairmont said. Holzpak is a partner with European manufacturer Binderholz Bausysteme GmbH, headquartered in Austria."

So, why do we want to spend more money using wood from Austria?

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2017/oct/23/ua-dorms-to-be-built-of-timber-20171023-1/

onebadrubi

Raises maintenance and insurance cost as well

Vantage 8 dude

Perhaps the genius who decided to "let" this contract is the same one at the IRS who gave Equifax the $7 million contract shortly after the data breach news was released. While this contract has apparently been temporarily placed on "hold" I have no doubt the government will end up doing the "right thing" and let poor Equifax have the desperately needed business. Anyone actually believe the U of A won't follow a similar path. Besides, ultimately it's not their personal monies so why should either entity care?

HawgWild

If it was an architectural feature I might understand, but it won't be seen. If it was made in Arkansas, I could understand. Choosing to spend $1.3 million more for a feature that is none of these things.......... And like you said V8D, "it's not their personal monies".

ricepig

Quote from: HawgWild on October 23, 2017, 01:28:41 pm
If it was an architectural feature I might understand, but it won't be seen. If it was made in Arkansas, I could understand. Choosing to spend $1.3 million more for a feature that is none of these things.......... And like you said V8D, "it's not their personal monies".

Well, I thought there would to be some exposed beams, you know for the "architectural look".

HawgWild

Apparently some will be exposed: "Panels used in the Stadium Drive residence hall project will be about eight-feet wide and 40-feet long, Baribeau said, some forming exposed wooden floors for the structure."

Dangers of a quick read. I was primarily reacting to going overseas for a product and paying more to do so. But, what do I know? Today's DG editorial page sees this as a "golden opportunity" "to boost the state's timber industry", even though the state's timber industry will not benefit one dime.

I often find myself in the minority opinion pool. <sigh>

ricepig

Quote from: HawgWild on October 25, 2017, 08:46:52 am
Apparently some will be exposed: "Panels used in the Stadium Drive residence hall project will be about eight-feet wide and 40-feet long, Baribeau said, some forming exposed wooden floors for the structure."

Dangers of a quick read. I was primarily reacting to going overseas for a product and paying more to do so. But, what do I know? Today's DG editorial page sees this as a "golden opportunity" "to boost the state's timber industry", even though the state's timber industry will not benefit one dime.

I often find myself in the minority opinion pool. <sigh>

Oh, I agree 100%, and on top of the timber industry, we have two steel mills sitting on the Mississippi that make steel beams, stupid idea in my opinion. It's just a waste of money, which isn't unusual for people spending other's.

dalefromspringdale

CLT is a new and upcoming thing. Lots of buildings popping up around NWA include this now. Architect's love it, but it carries a high price. They like it because most of the CLT will be exposed and pleasing to the eye.

SardisHog

Also the fee is almost always based upon final cost of the project.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."<br />- Robin Williams

twistitup

Quote from: dalefromspringdale on October 25, 2017, 11:17:39 am
CLT is a new and upcoming thing. Lots of buildings popping up around NWA include this now. Architect's love it, but it carries a high price. They like it because most of the CLT will be exposed and pleasing to the eye.

The newly built NEW SCHOOL on Joyce has alot of this - it looks great....the least they used local rock and masons to do the exterior. The native stone / wood combo looks awesome.

I don't understand why we couldn't get this from an Arkansas or at least US source-just the shipping costs from Austria will be enormous.

Nabholz did the bidding - they usually hire local crews and materials - don't know what happened here.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

onebadrubi

Quote from: twistitup on October 25, 2017, 12:42:12 pm
The newly built NEW SCHOOL on Joyce has alot of this - it looks great....the least they used local rock and masons to do the exterior. The native stone / wood combo looks awesome.

I don't understand why we couldn't get this from an Arkansas or at least US source-just the shipping costs from Austria will be enormous.

Nabholz did the bidding - they usually hire local crews and materials - don't know what happened here.

Nabholz will "bid" jobs, but a LARGE part of their work is "negotiated". They like to donate money and get awarded jobs and negotiate the cost type maneuver.  Or that all loved, cost plus jobs. 

hog.goblin

Bette than the asbestos that was in my dorm.  They were nice enough to remove it while I was living there.  I'm sure the plastic sheets protected us all.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

IronHog

Not aware of anyone making that product locally

So you'd hafta source the wood, have it made, then ship back for Arkansas grown timber.....inefficient

Most lumber that comes from Arkansas is low quality yellow pine framing lumber or the stuff they make fences/decks out of.  Some hardwood
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.