Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just an Odd BBall Game Last Night

Started by RazorAg, November 24, 2012, 01:48:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RazorAg

I tuned in when it was 14-11, and without Marshawn and Coty, I felt like we were on the edge of stretching a lead out and going into the second half comfortably.  We went up 5 at one point with the momentum, but defensively, we just continued to break down.  We were scoring at will, though.  I told myself, Arizona State will wear down.

But.....we went cold and Arizona State continued to knock down open shots that our defense continued to allow, and they cleaned the glass on our misses.

A lot of people focused on our offense and how "BJ can't be our only option".  I didn't see that at all.  Almost every one of our players could and were getting by their man; they just weren't finishing, with the exception of BJ.  Anthlon seemed to be rushing his shots.  Marshawn didn't stay aware of where Bachynski was after he would get by him time after time.  He also didn't knock down jumpers that he's been making.  Mardracus stood around a lot.

What was interesting offensively is that we didn't pass the ball much, but time and time again, our players were able to get past theirs.  They just didn't execute once they got in or near the lane.

Defensively, we were atrocious.  That was as much the issue as our cold shooting was the second half.  This was the issue last year, too.  Quick guards could get past our guards and our pick-and-roll defense was bad.

I don't think it's fair to judge a team on their 3rd game of the year.  I understand that we need every win we can get, but it's simply too early to worry.

Bad game.  Nothing more, IMO.

1Hog1/2Ham

Quote from: RazorAg on November 24, 2012, 01:48:05 pm
I tuned in when it was 14-11, and without Marshawn and Coty, I felt like we were on the edge of stretching a lead out and going into the second half comfortably.  We went up 5 at one point with the momentum, but defensively, we just continued to break down.  We were scoring at will, though.  I told myself, Arizona State will wear down.

But.....we went cold and Arizona State continued to knock down open shots that our defense continued to allow, and they cleaned the glass on our misses.

A lot of people focused on our offense and how "BJ can't be our only option".  I didn't see that at all.  Almost every one of our players could and were getting by their man; they just weren't finishing, with the exception of BJ.  Anthlon seemed to be rushing his shots.  Marshawn didn't stay aware of where Bachynski was after he would get by him time after time.  He also didn't knock down jumpers that he's been making.  Mardracus stood around a lot.

What was interesting offensively is that we didn't pass the ball much, but time and time again, our players were able to get past theirs.  They just didn't execute once they got in or near the lane.

Defensively, we were atrocious.  That was as much the issue as our cold shooting was the second half.  This was the issue last year, too.  Quick guards could get past our guards and our pick-and-roll defense was bad.

I don't think it's fair to judge a team on their 3rd game of the year.  I understand that we need every win we can get, but it's simply too early to worry.

Bad game.  Nothing more, IMO.
Sure hope you're correct about the one bad game. And yes it is definitely too early to panic. Will be watching tonight for some improvement in D and shooting.   

Also with so many new faces I think the coaches are still assessing players. It will be interesting to see who actually steps up.

The_Iceman

When Powell, Wade, Scott, and Clarke combine for 8 points....you aren't going to win many games.

That won't happen many other times. It was just a bad game.

cmiller01

First game away from the Bud.

Let's see what happens tonight.

checkraiser88

That game was just the like the entire last half of our season last year....NOT A GOOD SIGN

SWD26

Quote from: cmiller01 on November 24, 2012, 05:00:29 pm
First game away from the Bud.

Let's see what happens tonight.

After playing a couple of "cupcake" games, they may have been a little surprised and unprepared to see ASU score so easily against them. As a result a little panic may have set in, thus the one on one play with everyone trying to get them back in the game all by themselves. Hopefully, we'll see some better team-play tonight!

cmiller01

Let me be the first to say maybe it wasnt that odd ball after all.

CalHog

Quote from: cmiller01 on November 24, 2012, 09:02:00 pm
Let me be the first to say maybe it wasnt that odd ball after all.

Yep, just another odd ballgame.