Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kurt Anderson on Brian Wallace

Started by WilsonHog, October 03, 2017, 08:43:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

Per Jimmy Carter's article on WholeHogSports:

"He's having some good practices," Anderson said. "There are some mental mistakes that are hindering him from being in there. It has nothing to do with his ability. He's got great ability. He's made unbelievable strides and he's had some good practices over the last few weeks, but there's a mental error here or there, especially late in the week on a Thursday or Friday practice, that as a coach prevents you from saying here's a guy I trust in a critical situation that is going to make sure we're doing things the right way."

Bubba's Bruisers

Wallace really must not be very good.  We essentially don't have an OT's starting on the OL, and wallace still can't crack it..
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on October 03, 2017, 08:51:11 pm
Wallace really must not be very good.  We essentially don't have an OT's starting on the OL, and wallace still can't crack it..

Why must you assume that Anderson is lying? Geez.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Großer Kriegschwein

If it's mental, then it's all about reps, reps and reps until he gets it. Without moving up the 2-deep he will get less reps than if he were starting.
This is my non-signature signature.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on October 03, 2017, 08:54:35 pm

I'm not assuming that at all.  I think he's saying Wallace STILL isn't capable of cracking the starting line up, which is really saying something considering the play of the OL over the last year and a half or so.

BTW, coaches feed the fans BS all the time.  BS = lying.  I figured you knew.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Letsroll1200

swineology

Corkscrew Johnson

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on October 03, 2017, 08:54:46 pm
If it's mental, then it's all about reps, reps and reps until he gets it. Without moving up the 2-deep he will get less reps than if he were starting.

Unless you're a kicker?

Tusks

Is there any chance the OL scheme and coaching doesn't fit the guys on the OL?

I mean you can bend the player to the scheme and get what you get or maybe bend the coaching and scheme to the player and try to make them more successful
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Piggfoot

I don't think you need to be a scientific rocket to play Tackle. This is his third year with Enos. Surely the playbook has not changed every year. Something else is wrong. Just listened to Anderson's PC. Not impressed.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

lakecityhog

Here is the part that bothers me, we have guys making mental and physical errors in games, errors that have led to sacks and failed plays. I know that we will hear how our O'Line has graded out consistently well, but we have seen with our own eyes the issues that we have. 7 plays from inside the 5 yard line to score on NMSU as well as several other short yardage failures.

This same player started 10 games last year and is nothing but a year older and a year stronger. What has happened to that player? Did he just forget how he played last year?

We are going into the 6th week of the season (bye week) and still experimenting with O'Line combinations? Really?? Sorry guys it is just too hard for me to find fault in our players when we are facing situations like this. Now, if we were trying to shuffle people due to injury I could buy that.

How many D1 teams go into the 2nd week of the season with their O'Line in a state of flux? Much less still experimenting in week # 6. We waited until week 5 to move Gibson BACK to his natural position, a position that he played really well last year and Saturday we are going to start the game with him moved out to tackle AGAIN!

I really hate to come off negatively, but this is just the way that I feel. I honestly feel like we are not fielding our best combination of O'Linemen and it affects the way that we play, the way that we call plays and the confidence of the team.

PorkRinds

Quote from: tusked on October 03, 2017, 09:25:03 pm
Is there any chance the OL scheme and coaching doesn't fit the guys on the OL?

I mean you can bend the player to the scheme and get what you get or maybe bend the coaching and scheme to the player and try to make them more successful

To me it's pretty obvious. If Wallace has the ability why not simplify his reads so he can help the line?  Maybe they've simplified as much as they can and have to go with the guys that can learn it? It's baffling that we don't have a single true tackle that can see the field.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on October 03, 2017, 09:23:18 pm
Unless you're a kicker?

Unless you're a headcase kicker that's gunshy like bird dog that's been trained wrong.

King Kong

He played better last year than what we are currently getting out of RT IMO

WBOBO

The problem is Coach Kurt Anderson.  Has anyone noticed how Buffalo's Oline
has improved in just two years without him around?
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

King Kong

Quote from: WBOBO on October 03, 2017, 09:46:03 pm

The Bills Oline wasn't bad when he was there.

IMO Kurt Anderson's NFL technical blocking is too much for our college o-lineman. Focus too much on hitting someone just right which leads to small margin for error, instead of just making sure you hit them.

factchecker

I'm not sure how many Bills fans there are on hogville.

Do you have any stats that show the improvement of the offensive line since Anderson left Buffalo?

I'm truly interested.  I'd like to see the stats.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: King Kong on October 03, 2017, 09:55:21 pm
The Bills Oline wasn't bad when he was there.

IMO Kurt Anderson's NFL technical blocking is too much for our college o-lineman. Focus too much on hitting someone just right which leads to small margin for error, instead of just making sure you hit them.

Probably much truth in it, but then again, Bret has 3 more years to get underclassmen on board before they're seniors with virtually no risk of being fired for underachieving

GoHogs1091

Just not a good idea in general to hire an OL Coach from the NFL to coach OL at the collegiate level.

There is a tendency to try to teach the technical NFL OL garbage, but that makes things complicated for collegiate offensive linemen and makes collegiate offensive linemen think too much.

PorkRinds

That's a laughable claim.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

He could have a learning disability, or suffer from self doubt due to being ridiculed, or feel too much stress due to his HS rating, etc...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Poker_hog

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 03, 2017, 08:43:11 pm

"He's having some good practices," Anderson said. "There are some mental mistakes that are hindering him from being in there. It has nothing to do with his ability. He's got great ability. He's made unbelievable strides and he's had some good practices over the last few weeks, but there's a mental error here or there, especially late in the week on a Thursday or Friday practice, that as a coach prevents you from saying here's a guy I trust in a critical situation that is going to make sure we're doing things the right way."

This makes no sense.  This guy was a multi game starter last year.  I have a hard time believing a college student that's been in the program 3-4 years can't learn the blocking schemes.  There's no way he's a worse pass blocker than what we've got.  At minimum he should be in there on obvious passing situations.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

Polecat

Ramirez makes mental errors in every game he's played. Doesn't add up
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

PorkSoda

has he seen the errors the guys he put out there are making?
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 03, 2017, 10:16:09 pm
has he seen the errors the guys he put out there are making?

Those don't count. They are only in the games. Practice is what really matters.

lol.

Poker_hog

I can't fathom that we aren't playing a tackle with "great ability".

Marshfieldhog

The Anderson hire may have been the biggest head scratcher of the CBB era. You hire a guy with almost no OL position coaching experience to replace one of the best.

CBB has had some real dud hires as position coaches.

RebelliousHog

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on October 03, 2017, 08:54:35 pm
I didn't read that as him accusing anyone of lying.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

Wildhog

I have read/heard that K.A. uses pretty complicated OL concepts.  Maybe simplify things a bit, and make it easier for some of these really talented guys? 
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

JaketheSnake

Quote from: Wildhog on October 03, 2017, 10:27:27 pm
I have read/heard that K.A. uses pretty complicated OL concepts.  Maybe simplify things a bit, and make it easier for some of these really talented guys? 
That seems to be a recurring theme arnd RRS.  Every coach that doesn't show great production comes out with the scheme is too difficult and needs to be dumbed down.  At what point do they start with plays 11 guys on hogville could run and then work their way up to junior high, then high school plays, etc.

Wildhog

Quote from: JaketheSnake on October 03, 2017, 10:30:10 pm
That seems to be a recurring theme arnd RRS.  Every coach that doesn't show great production comes out with the scheme is too difficult and needs to be dumbed down.  At what point do they start with plays 11 guys on hogville could run and then work their way up to junior high, then high school plays, etc.

I'm just repeating what I've read from reporters and heard from coaches. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

JaketheSnake

Quote from: Wildhog on October 03, 2017, 10:32:41 pm
I'm just repeating what I've read from reporters and heard from coaches. 
My tone must have been off... that was in response to you, but not meant to be "at" you, if that makes sense.  I do believe coaches come in and try to teach technique and schemes difficult for players to pick up,  but if that's the case it needs to be addressed early.

Wildhog

Would like to see FANONTHEHILL's take on the complexity of Kurt Anderson's blocking schemes.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: JaketheSnake on October 03, 2017, 10:34:26 pm
My tone must have been off... that was in response to you, but not meant to be "at" you, if that makes sense.  I do believe coaches come in and try to teach technique and schemes difficult for players to pick up,  but if that's the case it needs to be addressed early.

No worries.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Poker_hog

Quote from: JaketheSnake on October 03, 2017, 10:30:10 pm

Exactly.  How many times have we heard it's not the Xs and Os it's the jimmys and joes. 

hoglady

They must really, really like Clary and see a huge upside in him.
It's just hard to believe that Clary with Gibson out of position / is better than Gibson and Wallace playing their natural positions.
Was Wallace that bad last year?
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

WilsonHog

Quote from: hoglady on October 03, 2017, 10:45:46 pm
They must really, really like Clary and see a huge upside in him.
It's just hard to believe that Clary with Gibson out of position / is better than Gibson and Wallace playing their natural positions.
Was Wallace that bad last year?

Bielema said earlier in the week that he isn't sure Ty is ready to play 60+ snaps in a SEC game.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 03, 2017, 10:52:36 pm
Bielema said earlier in the week that he isn't sure Ty is ready to play 60+ snaps in a SEC game.

Probably the most truth that we've heard in relation to Clary yet.

No matter what the 2-deep says, we'll probably see Gibson & Wallace/Ramirez on the right side more that it would allude.

lasthog

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on October 03, 2017, 10:57:38 pm
Probably the most truth that we've heard in relation to Clary yet.

No matter what the 2-deep says, we'll probably see Gibson & Wallace/Ramirez on the right side more that it would allude.

When D-line runs through R side OL like a jailbreak any time they run a simple stunt, gotta fix that.

D-lineman coming as fast as a blitzing corner, please don't tell us a RG graded like GOAT.

AA getting his a.ss handed to him, holding ball too long or not. Any OL apologists want a piece of that?

Go into any ethnic club of any culture, yell a slur, give it 3.5 seconds, think, "Hey, this must be how Austin feels!"

hogman64

this is the kind of coach BS that would make it better if they would  just shut up and coach.............Brian Wallace was a starter last year and is MAKING GREAT STRIDES but cant start over a grey shirt freshman and a walk on  playing tackle
for the first time..........that makes no sense, so again just shut up.

also, cant start because late in the week he makes a mental error here or there............guess what on
Saturday you have starters making errors in every quarter......you have maybe the worst line in the SEC so it doesn't take a perfect  player to beat out the guys you have starting.

I am not saying Wallace should be starting but I am saying just shut up and stop with the lame explanations as to why he isn't, obviously he is worse than terrible and isn't making strides from last year when he was a starter , cause if he was he would be starting now on this line,  so just shut up and coach him.

presidenthog

Been saying this the whole time. Basically put him at a further disadvantage of developing.

Also I felt the same way about Brandon Martin. If he ever gets healthy he is so buried on the depth chart now he will never get to rise due to limited practice reps.

This staff is awesome at mismanagement of thier roster.

presidenthog

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on October 03, 2017, 10:18:55 pm
Those don't count. They are only in the games. Practice is what really matters.

lol.

And how early you are to meetings. It's a load of crap imo.

Biggus Piggus

Shuffling players is something you can do in the pros, not in college. Sheesh.
[CENSORED]!

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: presidenthog on October 04, 2017, 01:37:22 am
Been saying this the whole time. Basically put him at a further disadvantage of developing.

Also I felt the same way about Brandon Martin. If he ever gets healthy he is so buried on the depth chart now he will never get to rise due to limited practice reps.

This staff is awesome at mismanagement of thier roster.

Yep. Wallace should have been getting a reasonable amount of playing time since he was a RS-Freshman. Unfortunately, he only saw very limited time in 3 games and recorded no statistics.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: presidenthog on October 04, 2017, 01:44:12 am
And how early you are to meetings. It's a load of crap imo.

or not have your name on the board cause you'll get removed from the program if you get a checkmark by it.

rzrbk4life

I just don't think our o-line should be this big of a mess in year 5. Heck we had better lines under Nutt/Markuson
Let's call those hogs!!!!

ImHogginIt

Quote from: hogman64 on October 04, 2017, 01:08:58 am
this is the kind of coach BS that would make it better if they would  just shut up and coach.............Brian Wallace was a starter last year and is MAKING GREAT STRIDES but cant start over a grey shirt freshman and a walk on  playing tackle

also, cant start because late in the week he makes a mental error here or there............guess what on
Saturday you have starters making errors in every quarter......you have maybe the worst line in the SEC so it doesn't take a perfect  player to beat out the guys you have starting.

I am not saying Wallace should be starting but I am saying just shut up and stop with the lame explanations as to why he isn't, obviously he is worse than terrible and isn't making strides from last year when he was a starter , cause if he was he would be starting now on this line,  so just shut up and coach him.

Best post in thread. I would take my chances on Gibson at guard and Wallace at tackle over what we have happening right now.

ricepig

Quote from: hogman64 on October 04, 2017, 01:08:58 am

Gibson played some tackle his sophomore? year, I remember Skipper or Kirkland getting hurt and he went in for a series. There's a reason they had the speaker in the helmet for Wallace in the fall practices, it wasn't to listen to music. Now, does he deserve a chance, I think so, but I don't watch the practices.

Hog N Bama

In summary....the OL has deteriorated and been an issue ever since Kurt Anderson came to town. PERIOD

theFlyingHog

I don't think that's it. They can't run through every single play and defensive scheme in practice. He has to go out there and see what the defense is doing and know what to do.